Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Silver Marches / Underdark Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  14:29:34  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yes, sometimes sages have questions for sages as well...

Looking over the map that came with the 3e Silver Marches acessory, my eye fell on a small red mark in the section depicting Underdark locations.

Schyndrilin's Gate (sp?... I do this from memory, don't have the thing in front of me) I went back into the book and looked for it, but couldn't locate it in the text. Nor does it ring a bell from previous products (though Drizzt do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark is a good candidate for a likely source).

Any sage or scribe on the forum who recalls some tidbit of information on this location (more precisely, it lies under the Evermoors, to the east near the Silverwood).

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:04:22  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I searched in Drow of the Underdark, Drizzt Do'Urden Guide to the Underdark, Silver Marches, Menzoberrazan... I din't find anything...
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:48:34  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zemd, could you find the marking on the map I was referring to?
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  15:57:51  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, i saw it.
But, i lost it so i had to download it from the internet. But the image isn't very good so i can't find the right name. So i looked for darklake, but i didn't find anything valuable
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  18:58:01  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt there will be any information available for Sschindylryn's Gate if its not listed in Silver Marches or DDGttU, being as theyre the only products which detail the Underdark or The North.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  22:08:09  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it!!!

Sschindrylryn's Gate
Over a decade ago, drow from the distant city of
Sschindylryn discovered this ancient gate to another plane
less than nine days from Menzoberranzan. Located fifty
miles away on a small island in the unclaimed eastern
Darklake , Sschindylryn's Gate hosted fierce battles between mercenaries employed by the rival cities. After five years the
Sschindylrynyr garrison was forced back through the gate,
which was badly damaged in the battles. A small company
of Menzoberranyr warriors, wizards, and priests have
guarded the portal since.
Sschindylrynís Gate still functions intermittently, but
Menzoberranzan drow do not know how to operate it. As
before, the gate only works for creatures who drink three
drops of deep dragon blood ten minutes or less before use.
This ritual is no longer sufficient, however. The gate now
requires someone to cast a spell from the school of Alteration
directly on the portal, which then functions normally
for a number of rounds equal to the spellís level. Of course,
even if they could learn how to work the gate, the Menzoberranzan
drow would have no idea where it opens onto.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  23:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yaaay! Where was that written zemd? Looks like its likely to be in the Menzoberranzan boxed set?

BTW, where exactly IS the "distant city of Sschindylryn"?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  18:27:29  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark

And i didn't find anything related to the city. I'll search later i go party
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  13:57:13  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's it's a city very far away from Menzoberranzan, and that it was never described before.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2003 :  02:27:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sschindylryn's gate is indeed found in DDGttU (p.68). Interestingly, in Eric Boyd's first draft of DDGttU, he intended the gate to lead to the drow city of Erelhei Cinlu (sp?) on Oerth - an FR/Greyhawk crossover event. The reason for this was the listing of several Greyhawk drow cities and noble houses in FOR3 Drow of the Underdark. This attempt to fix a realmslore contradiction didn't get through the editing process.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2006 :  22:29:16  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city of Sschindylryn itself is located under the Vast Swamp in Cormyr.

It was mentioned in book 5 of the War of the Spider Queen series and detailed in the Underdark sourcebook.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 01 Jan 2006 22:45:53
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  19:41:16  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Let me preface this by apologizing for resurrecting an old thread, but it piqued my interest.

zemd or Mumadar Ibn Huzal, I cannot find a map detailing the Underdark in the Silver Marches 3E Accessory. Nor do I see anything about Sschyn's Gate. Could either of you please let me know where you found this map?

-V

Dungeon Master built Racecars --> https://www.facebook.com/zipsracing

Edited by - vremya on 10 Nov 2013 22:05:35
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  22:18:28  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep reading Vremya - later they mention that it comes from Drizzt Do Urden's Guide To The Underdark. Krash even give a page citation and history of publishing :P

There is also an underdark map (including the silver marches in the Underdark 3rd E book
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  00:30:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eventually, someone needs to do a detailed "lowerdark" map. lol

The upperdark is not too bad since it is not too deep, and the middledark is full of the usual Drow/Other underdark baddies 5-10 miles below. But the lowerdark interests the heck out of me. Most of them think the surface is a myth and there are a lot of places in the lowerdark which can only be accessed from 1 or two locations
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  01:54:45  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ The Masked Mage: Ah yes, I read where they eventually found information regarding Sschyn's Gate. But I am specifically asking where Mumadar Ibn Huzal spotted the mystery location. To quote him: 'Looking over the map that came with the 3e Silver Marches acessory, my eye fell on a small red mark in the section depicting Underdark locations.'

To my knowledge, there is no map of the Underdark included in the 3E Silver Marches sourcebook. There are several pages detailing the major sites under the Silver Marches, but no map. The surface map included with the Silver Marches book (at least my printing of it) does not even use 'red marks' to denote any features on the map.

There is a map of the Underdark in the 3E FR Underdark sourcebook, but it does not feature Sschyn's gate. It does however, show Sschyn (the city) to the East, under Cormyr.

What I am looking to find out, is what exactly (physcially) was Mumadar Ibn Huzal looking at when he noticed the 'red mark'. He states it was the map that came with the Silver Marches 3E accessory book. But again, my map has no such feature.

Is it possible his book was published in another country? Mine is a USA edition.

Thanks for all the input!

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  03:20:27  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
vremya,

On the fold-out map, under the map for Sundabar, there is a section called "The Underdark in the North". Sschindylryn's Gate is shown as a red "X".

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  13:17:30  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beast, could you (or anyone else who has this map!) please email or PM me a picture of what map you are referring to?

I do not see 'The Underdark in the North' anywhere in my stuff, and searching for it in google images does not produce anything...

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  17:42:12  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I don't have a working scanner to scan it with.

EDIT: But in the last post in <this scroll>, fellow 'Keeper KrisTheGrey gives a few links to homebrew manuals with Upper Underdark maps in them, and you get the idea of Sschindylryn's Gate's location, there. It sits on the SE shoreline of the Dark Lake, which lies beneath the Evermoors. It's just to the west of Silverymoon and Everlund.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 11 Nov 2013 18:01:47
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  20:45:03  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beast, thanks for those scrolls. They are helpful and provide some good info regarding the Underdark in the North and the location of Sschyn's Gate.

However... I am most interested in this map that you (and others) have referenced. I have been DMing for close to 14 years now with the majority of it being in the Realms, and I must admit, I am a little flustered that I don't have this map, let alone, never even seen it!

If there is any way you could find a way to get me this map, the effort would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  01:54:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what is your email?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  01:57:56  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are three maps of the underdark - 2 that give a location of this: the one Beast describes, the one from DDUGTTU and the big black one from the Underdark book. The black one does not have the location. The others do.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 12 Nov 2013 02:02:39
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  02:19:04  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@The Masked Mage: I PM'd email.

I am familiar with the the black/neon map from the 3/3.5 FR Underdark book.

Is the map in DDUGTTU a fold out map, or printed-on-page map?

And I assume the Silver Marches map is fold out, because I do not see it in my book. Is that correct?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  02:49:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep - both were fold outs that were basically maps of the realms with underdark locations superimposed. The silver marches lines up with the 3rd E style map.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  02:50:46  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sent to you portions of the maps. that have Northdark
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  03:24:09  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. So is the newer 3E 'The Underdark in the North' its own map? Or is it in the corner of the Silver Marches map?

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  03:49:32  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was from the lower left hand corner of the silver marches map
Go to Top of Page

vremya
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  04:38:27  Show Profile  Visit vremya's Homepage Send vremya a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My whole life is a lie...

I need to get this map.

Edit: The Masked Mage helped me find this not so hidden map. Well done. And many thanks.

V

Edited by - vremya on 12 Nov 2013 05:00:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2014 :  20:03:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Casts *** Raise Scroll!!! ***

Okay, the last few posts weren't THAT old, but the thread itself is. I found a map Mike Schley did of the Silver Marches (must be 4e, since we already had a 3e one, and 5e isn't here yet).

Anyone know where this made an appearance?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2014 :  01:53:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reckon it was from one of the "Backdrop" FR Dragon magazine articles. Away from my sources at the moment but someone will be along directly to give you the correct reference.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2014 :  16:04:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turns out it was for the War of Everlasting Darkness hybrid (4e/5e) module/adventure path, which didn't see a lot of traction and just fizzled-out. Damn shame - that map is SWEET!

They SHOULD do a backdrop article for it, just to re-use it. Its a damn shame that no context was ever given for that map (other then the adventure, which really doesn't get into any background at all). They probably had plans for something along those lines, and then when they went in another direction it never saw the light of day (why else commission such a gorgeous map for an adventure which barely touches upon the map itself?)

Anyhow, I am glad I looked into it, because there was a lot of weird-but-interesting lore that went with all of that (Eberron?! )

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 15 Oct 2014 18:23:53
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2014 :  06:12:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I doubt it will fizzle out. I can see a use for it in the next couple of months.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000