Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 What to buy next... help the Sage decide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  14:48:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Right then, I've actually found myself with a few extra gold pieces at the end of this month and as such I'm looking to make a D&D core product purchase. But I'd like some help from my fellow scribes on what they feel is the most useful, in terms of FR campaign usage (or for Arivia EB-usage since I also DM an Eberron campaign), for them.

My choices are:-
  • Magic of Incarnum
  • Races of the Dragon
  • Tome of Magic: Pact, Shadow, and Truename Magic
Thoughts?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  15:03:40  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the choices you have listed I would go with Races of the Dragon. Some of the spells in that book are incredibly broken (see various power word spells) but overall I think it is more useful than the other two...at least in my games.

If you go with Tome of Magic or Magic of Incarnum you really have to adopt a whole new system of casting, which essentially means even more base classes.

With Races of the Dragon you can use a new race (or two?) plus greatly augment Kobolds. The book makes Kobolds a viable option for PC's as well as making them an extremely formidable oponent as an NPC. In addition to the nice options for Kobolds, there are some feats and spells that can be used by characters of other races.

I own all three so if you have specific questions about any of them feel free to ask.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  15:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Either MoI or the Tome of Magic. I much preferred MoI as a whole to the ToM. However, the ToM's contents are much more Realms-appropriate, while MoI's are much more applicable to Eberron(and do actually exist in Eberron; see the PGtE). Finally, RotD will likely tie into Dragons of Faerun in some way, as Eric hinted awhile ago. If I had to choose one, though, I'd say MoI - I find it ultimately the most interesting and uniquely new of all three.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  17:31:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with RoD since it probably, as Arivia said, ties into the upcoming FR sourcebook.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Mar 2006 20:23:34
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  19:09:02  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I favor Tome of Magic and Races of the Dragon in that order. I don't like Magic of Incarnum from what I've seen of it thus far and it appears more of a bolt-on than the systems in Tome of Magic. I just picked up the latter book, and I really enjoy what I've read of it thus far. The binder is an interesting class and I like the fact that you can have characters outside of the class than can use binding to a limited extent. The shadow magic chapter, and in particular the shadowcaster seem like a natural fit for Faerun. All it would require are a few minor alterations to the fluff and you've got a very organic addition to your game. I've yet to finish reading the section on Truename magic, but it also seems fairly easy to add on, particularly if you're already using the Words of Creation feat from the Book of Exalted Deeds in your campaign.

I've yet to see Races of the Dragon, but I was less than impressed with most of the other "Races of" books I looked at. As Kuje said, however, it ties into the upcoming Dragons of Faerun sourcebook, so you may want it for that reason.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  19:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'd recommend Tome of Magic. I didn't really take to Magic of Incarnum, but Pact magic appealed to me, as did Shadow Magic (which was my initial reason for picking up the tome), and lo and behold I found Truename to be quite intriguing

The kobold aspect of Races of the Dragon appealed to me, but I wasn't overly fond of the book on the whole.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  20:27:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the three, I'm prolly going to pick up Races of the Dragon at some point -- on the cheap, of course.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2006 :  23:58:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of the Dragon will no doubt have some tie-ins with Dragons of Faerűn later in the year. So I'd probably go for that one. Tome of Magic does sound interesting though.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  00:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going to vote none of the above.

None of those Tomes Inspired me enough to want to buy them

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  01:31:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Races of the Dragon seems to be the favorite... and it was already occupying a temporary "first place" position because of its tie-in with Dragons of Faerun. But I wonder how much of it ties-in with the upcoming DoF?

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  04:16:12  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Races of the Dragon seems to be the favorite... and it was already occupying a temporary "first place" position because of its tie-in with Dragons of Faerun. But I wonder how much of it ties-in with the upcoming DoF?

Hard to say but RoD and ToM are the two of those 3 that I have acquired.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  04:47:36  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

• Magic of Incarnum
  • Races of the Dragon
Thoughts?

Always, I come to thee, to stir the proverbial pot... my answer is therefore this:

"Have you considered, if you do not own them already, Heroes of Battle and DMG II, which are beautiful companions for Power of Faerun..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  05:10:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

• Magic of Incarnum
  • Races of the Dragon
Thoughts?

Always, I come to thee, to stir the proverbial pot... my answer is therefore this:

"Have you considered, if you do not own them already, Heroes of Battle and DMG II, which are beautiful companions for Power of Faerun..."

I'd hadn't considered HoB itself... what's the general consensus on that tome from core D&D product fans?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  06:21:02  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call myself a core D&D-fan, when I buy a core book it's always with an eye as to whether it's useful from an FR-perspective, and I haven't seen Tome of Magic. So keep those two things in mind when I get round to actually answering the question

I'd go with Heroes of Battle which was a positive surprise to me.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  08:52:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd hadn't considered HoB itself... what's the general consensus on that tome from core D&D product fans?

I liked it a lot; it does cover its subject matter quite well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:04:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I liked it a lot; it does cover its subject matter quite well.

Any particular highlights from the book?

I've found myself with a few more extra gold pieces... enough perhaps to purchase two D&D core products instead of just one. Races of the Dragon looks to be a definite at this point... so I'm looking for another... I'm willing to entertain suggestions for other recent D&D product releases that I haven't listed...

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Mar 2006 09:05:49
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Any particular highlights from the book?

I've found myself with a few more extra gold pieces... enough perhaps to purchase two D&D core products instead of just one. Races of the Dragon looks to be a definite at this point... so I'm looking for another... I'm willing to entertain suggestions for other recent D&D product releases that I haven't listed...

I really can't pick out one specific excellent aspect to the supplement; rather, it's notable for providing a consistently well-done and in-depth treatment of its subject material. However, I would caution you that the supplement will be of little use if you aren't running a battlefield campaign; like Heroes of Horror, it works best when an entire campaign is hung off it.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  09:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Then I suggest that ye go and pick up this tome forthwith, Sage! Heroes of Battle is one of my favorite core tomes from last year. I was very impressed and often delve into the leaves of the tome. 'tis a beautiful and very useful resource.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  11:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention the fact that HoB is required if you want to use the Warfare section of PoF

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2006 :  12:34:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Not to mention the fact that HoB is required if you want to use the Warfare section of PoF

Hmmm... good point.

HoB is another contender at this point, unless any other scribe has another suggestion for a recent and worthwhile D&D product.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  09:54:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What're all, for those scribes that have it, your thoughts on Heroes of Horror?

Given my devotion to all-things-Ravenloft since it's early beginning... I'm inclined to believe such a D&D core product would be useful for a RL campaign... but what about the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  15:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I was a much bigger fan of Heroes of Battle than I was Heroes of Horror. I think that many aspects of Heroes of Horror have been covered in previous books, like Libris Mortis for example.

I have to admit my bias though, a campaign based on horror does not interest me in the least.

Heroes of Battle on the other hand is an excellent tome. Although it is definitely most usefull in a war/battle campaign, it could also be useful in statting out NPC's with military backgrounds. I particularly like the Legendary Leader prestige class. It fit the build my Paladin was striving for perfectly so I was very excited when it came out.
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  16:37:18  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I throw my 2 cents in for Heroes of Battle. I picked it up because I liked the warfare chapter of POF and was very pleased with the quality of the whole book. While it would undoubtably be most usefull in a war campaign there is still a lot of usefull information in it for a standard campaign. I own Heroes of Horror and Races of the Dragon but Heroes of Battle beats them both IMO.

Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  17:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What're all, for those scribes that have it, your thoughts on Heroes of Horror?

I quite enjoyed it; it is quite well done.

quote:

Given my devotion to all-things-Ravenloft since it's early beginning... I'm inclined to believe such a D&D core product would be useful for a RL campaign... but what about the Realms?

I actually think it might be of limited use in both RL and the FR(take my comments with a grain of salt, as I have very little RL experience); it posits its own take on horror, which requires adjustments to existing campaign models to use(although the Xvimite one for the Realms is quite good), and which may not be compatible with horror as depicted in Ravenloft. It is, however, a great tool if you're willing to run a horror campaign using it as your main source and Ravenloft material as supplementary sources.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2006 :  17:55:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As my players are now reaching level 8-9, I see myself using Heroes of Battle at least every other game, whether on the spot or as part of my DM preparation.

The book contains a LOT of info detailing how to promote/decorate PCs, how to create a military encounter, how to situate PCs in a large epic battle. It also has a lot of good crunch such as rules on arrow volleys (no longer will your high-level PCs ignore large groups of low-level warriors...), how to calculate one's commander rating, siege engines, the Legendary Leader, Combat Medic and War Weaver prestige classes (I'm using the latter for a PC that I play in my friend's campaign -- it's a wizard specialized in "boosting" allies... very useful in a group with several warrior-types, which makes the class perfect for an aspiring War Wizard of Cormyr nobleborn such as my PC! :) )

Get it. It's awesome.

DMG2 on the other hand... I would recommend you just "access" it for the things you need, somehow "retain" the rules you need somewhere, and not bother wasting the money on it... (i.e. borrowing it from a friend works great for me, as he is a player in my campaign and hardly needs the book on a full time basis). The book is especially great for the rules on how to run a business (i.e. two of my players are now in a joint venture together: they worked those rules perfectly if you ask me, as the PCs are level 9 now and they have sunk 25,000gp into the business, borrowed the difference they needed (i.e. ~37,500gp) from a moneylender, and they are now both much behind in terms of gear value compared to other players... when they become profitable and are done paying the debt down, they will be making a lot of money though, which I will houserule that only half of which can be spent on personal items, the others half being required for expansions, employee bonuses, R&D, i.e. the things not covered in DMG2's operating/maintenance costs).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  02:08:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I actually think it might be of limited use in both RL and the FR(take my comments with a grain of salt, as I have very little RL experience); it posits its own take on horror, which requires adjustments to existing campaign models to use(although the Xvimite one for the Realms is quite good), and which may not be compatible with horror as depicted in Ravenloft. It is, however, a great tool if you're willing to run a horror campaign using it as your main source and Ravenloft material as supplementary sources.
The Xvimite campaign model?

Tell me more?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  02:11:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

The book contains a LOT of info detailing how to promote/decorate PCs, how to create a military encounter, how to situate PCs in a large epic battle. It also has a lot of good crunch such as rules on arrow volleys (no longer will your high-level PCs ignore large groups of low-level warriors...), how to calculate one's commander rating, siege engines, the Legendary Leader, Combat Medic and War Weaver prestige classes (I'm using the latter for a PC that I play in my friend's campaign -- it's a wizard specialized in "boosting" allies... very useful in a group with several warrior-types, which makes the class perfect for an aspiring War Wizard of Cormyr nobleborn such as my PC! :) )

Get it. It's awesome.
It does sound like an intriguing mix of rules for a war-based campaign... though I fairly rarely involved large-scale warfare in my campaigns so I'm not sure whether it'd be a waste of gold pieces to purchase it.

I mean... the last large scale battle I ran in a campaign was back when The Horde boxed set was released... my PCs were part of the western Alliance army.

I'll have to look into this a little more...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2006 :  02:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Xvimite campaign model?

Tell me more?

It's one of a set of sample campaign models for using horrific content in the Realms. This one resolves around a conspiracy by Xvimites after Bane's resurrection to corrupt good organizations and destroy Bane's church, and through doing so, raise Xvim back from the dead. I quite like it; I'll probably use it for a future game.
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2006 :  20:45:11  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, are we ever going to find out what you bought and what you thought of it?

Green Knight
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  02:22:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact, yes you will.

Thursday night I purchased Races of the Dragon -- mostly because of DoF -- but also because I was extraordinarily intrigued by spellscales.

I haven't decided on my second purchase yet.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2006 :  02:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by The SageI haven't decided on my second purchase yet.

Have you considered Players Handbook II since it is out already?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000