Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Bladesinger = Rashemen??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  18:01:51  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings Scribes,

Does any of you know why a novel set in Rashemen would be called "Bladesinger"?

The title made me think of Elven warriors and the like, but reading the book's introductory text, it seems to be based in Rashemen: so berserkers, wychlaran, etc.

Does anyone know how both things come together??

Bocklin

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  20:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read the back of the novel. I was expecting it to be about the elven bladesinger as well. I will see if i can find the introductory text online somewhere like amazon
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  20:57:39  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not find the introductory text but the cover does not appear to be an elf
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  22:16:21  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to go to Amazon, simply go to WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/950217400

As you will see, it is in Rashemen. I just wonder why the title "Bladesinger". It's confusing.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  22:51:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

No need to go to Amazon, simply go to WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/950217400

As you will see, it is in Rashemen. I just wonder why the title "Bladesinger". It's confusing.

Bocklin

An obvious reason could be that a bladesinger traveled to Rashemen. Just because the book is set there, it doesn't mean all the characters are natives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2006 :  23:09:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a half-elf bladesinger, so he's not quite 'standard' in terms of what the greater FR community thinks when it hears the term. Ah the joy of weird and wonderful protagonists traipsing around in exotic settings. You'd think that in a make-believe, made-up world that this would be a match made in heaven. For my taste, it seldom is when it comes to the Realms. I'll be interested to read the book when it hits my shores. I've liked Keith Strohm's other FR writings so I guess we'll wait and see ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  01:20:51  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
actually, o-love.net has the prologue and the first chapter to sample. it does indeed seem to be about a half elf from what you'd gather from the the sample chapter. it's off to a good start, i am curious to see where this one goes. it has a conan/berserk beginning/origin to it, it seems. i'm most definately going to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  01:46:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

It's a half-elf bladesinger, so he's not quite 'standard' in terms of what the greater FR community thinks when it hears the term. Ah the joy of weird and wonderful protagonists traipsing around in exotic settings. You'd think that in a make-believe, made-up world that this would be a match made in heaven. For my taste, it seldom is when it comes to the Realms. I'll be interested to read the book when it hits my shores. I've liked Keith Strohm's other FR writings so I guess we'll wait and see ...

-- George Krashos

Of course, the last book with a non-stereotypical character out of her normal milieu set in Rashemen was pretty darn good

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  03:55:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyfu

actually, o-love.net has the prologue and the first chapter to sample. it does indeed seem to be about a half elf from what you'd gather from the the sample chapter. it's off to a good start, i am curious to see where this one goes. it has a conan/berserk beginning/origin to it, it seems. i'm most definately going to check it out.

Thanks for sharing the information on where the prologue and first chapter could be found. I'm not a big fan of the Rashemen area as evidenced by my lack of interest in the prologue. However, the first chapter itself I found very entertaining and I'm curious now to see where the story goes. Thus, this novel went from a possible purchase to something I will definitely buy now.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  12:08:33  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I see, thanks.

I was hoping for a Rashemen-heavy book. So I'll wait to see the first comments before I buy it. I am having a steady diet of "Elven things" right now (reading "Realms of the Elves" and gearing up for "The Last Gate"), so I might skip this one if there is nothing new on Rashemen.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  15:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will pick it up on release day for the book of the month purposes, otherwise I would probally put it off to finish some things I am currently working on.

Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  21:58:45  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
like SiriusBlack, i didn't really have too much interest in the area, but putting a half elf bladesinger in rashemen has a lot of promise (encourage all of you to checkout the sample chapter at o-love.net). i'm getting a little tired of reading about half elves in FR novels(never enough strait up elf stories for me), but the half elven trait seems like it's truely pertinent to the character and the story. And besides throwing a fullblooded elf in rashemen would really be out from left field.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000