Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Old modules/Conversion
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  08:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Finally, after ignoring, stubornly I must say, the change from 2nd to 3rd and 3.5, I will make the change... I have seen the 'light'.

Now, as I have been running my campaign for several years, utilizing mainly old 1st edition modules.

The problem I have already been encountering while running those in 2nd edition is that the encounters seem severely unbalanced. Granted my group is somewhat 'lowkey' in terms of items. They do have some major items but in terms of overall magical equipment I managed to keep them in a low power environment.

So far it has worked out, barely.

The first adventure (gauntlet?) I intend to run them through will be the venerable Ravager Of Time (I8 or I9 I think). The party make up is/will be:

Human Clr1/Wiz8/WarWizard1
Drow Ftr2/Clr7/Bladedancer1 (no ECLs)
Shield Dwarf Ftr6/Barb1/Battlerager1
Svirfneblin (3ECL) Rog6/Ftr1 (I think)
Moon Elf Ftr7/Peerless Archer1
Human Rng8 (most likely)

To list the gear would a) take too long and b) I do not have a complete list of all minor items they carry.

In Ravager Of Time the gang will face at least 2 old black dragons. The CR for these monsters seems to make the entire encounter severely unbalanced.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should handle a conversion? I want to make adventures a true challenge but I do not want the party to face certain impossible odds every time they encounter an opponent.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:16:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The easiest way would probably be to lower the age of the dragons, or replace them with less intimidating draconic creatures.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

silverwizard
Seeker

Greece
76 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  22:40:42  Show Profile  Visit silverwizard's Homepage Send silverwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know my post may be redundant, but since you use a lot of info from earlier editions, why make the change? Continuing to use 2E would save you time and effort, and in the end, it's roleplaying that counts and not mechanics (at least for me), and roleplaying is independent of edition.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  01:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd give the same advice. Why not start a new campaign to try out the 3E rules -- and you can't tell how well you'll like them except in play -- while keeping AD&D rules for the campaign based on AD&D modules?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  07:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's very easy to answer:

A session AD&D wears me out due to people argueing about stuff like movement etc. Inicially I only wanted to use the movement/combat system of 3.5 but the more I read into it the more I realized that I cannot just take the combat system... thus the change. Plus the more I read into the system the more I see the strengths of it.
The charactre conversion went smoothely and everyone sees the same strengths I do.

Plus most of the FR stuff is AD&D based...they had a much longer run with 2nd...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000