Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 supreme power
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:28:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Which country is the supreme power in the realms.I have always wondered it...

sorry for bad English

Lathander is beginnig of all things,everything will reborn with dawn.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:32:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This really is to hard a question to answer. There are way to many factors involved to answer this with a 100% yes, this or that nation/city/country is the supreme power.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it could be waterdeep zhents or drow....maybe evermeet...please tell your opinions

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think it could be waterdeep zhents or drow....maybe evermeet...please tell your opinions

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:51:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you can not count Drow as a nation as they do tend to war amoung themseles at times.

Evermeet having defenses crushed would have weaken that nation.

Waterdeep clearly holds its own teritory though it has been invaded as well.

It is more that nations are power centers that have a limited reach. Ther is no superpower that all nations fear. In part it becomes hard to weigh the individual nations power, becuase all about the nation is not known. Power is a factor of number of people (including classes and levels), economic resourses (fields, mines and so on) and size of armies some factors rating the power of a nation. Other factors of power can include allies and foes a nation has.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  17:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
kentinal i would be very happy if you can give me more information about the invaded lands of Waterdeep

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  18:01:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Lathander

kentinal i would be very happy if you can give me more information about the invaded lands of Waterdeep

Waterdeep is a city-state... It's been invaded by Myrkul's Legions (at the end of the Godswar) and by undersea critters (during the Threat From the Sea trilogy). Neither invasion lasted long.

I concur with Kentinal's statement. No nation is a superpower, therefore, no nation is supreme.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  18:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay thanks

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:38:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

This really is to hard a question to answer. There are way to many factors involved to answer this with a 100% yes, this or that nation/city/country is the supreme power.

That'd be my answer as well.

Political and economic factors are two of the most important considerations for a question like this... but you also have to consider hidden power as well. Some places may only be a serious contender because they are controlled and operated by a secret power group -- like the Black Network for example -- and so really, these realms are powerful for only that reason.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  00:46:42  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can hardly think of any superpower states in Faerun, but if you put it other way round like which are the strongest states or at least considerably powerful states in Faerun, then here are some which I think are considerably powerful:

1) Cormyr (once had a formidable powerful military backed by powerful magical support, though weakened, will rise up as a military power again.)

2) Thay (though their armies are a bit rag-tag and not so well-trained yet vast in terms of numbers, their magic of the Red Wizards and Zulkirs are a thing to reckon with, and they are expanding their influence all over the realms, want cheap magic potions? Check your local Thayan Embassy for cheap prices)

3) Shade Enclave and the Shadovar(Their military is about 3000 strong and despite the losses from their misadventures, they can be very powerful and subtle in their approaches that it is hard to see their hand in anything, especially their magical abilities, good smiles and lie-weaving, and basic military weapons-outdated but better than most conventional military weapons in the realms, good for chopping phaerimm- are not to be underestimated.)

4) Zhentarim (Large military organization with three bases, not really a state but one cannot ignore them for long, with a large military and formidable magical and priestly might at their disposal, if they survive the internal strife within their ranks and reorganize again with proper vision and leadership, they will be another major problem again.)

5) Silverymoon and the Silver Marches-Silverymoon military may be small but it possess one of the North's most well-trained military and powerful magical might especially the SpellGuard and Lady Alustriel. The other Silver Marches cities each possess strong militaries though not that strong magical might, and combined, the Silver Marches allied military is vast enough to match the Zhents ranks or maybe the Thayans. Also, the Silver Marches economic strength is very good too.

5) Evermeet, if they can supply Seiveril with about 5000-6000 worth of volunteers in his crusade, then Evermeet also is very strong in terms of military and magic. Though their defenses have loopholes here and there, their defenses are considerably still formidable enough and under the wise leadership of Queen Amlaruil, their might is respected enough that few dare to provoke them.

6) Kingdom of Dark Arrows-Not that strong in terms of magic, but their melee numbers far outnumber even the Silver Marches combined allied military and even Cormyr's pre-war military, their numbers are estimated at >10,000 despite not so well-trained but they make it up with brute strengtn and zeal, and they the orcs are establishing a kingdom for themselves in the Spine of the World, another power that cannot be ignored.

7) Halruaa-through use of divination magics, they can perform pre-emptive strikes against any threat against them. Their military are fair but mobile and efficient, backed by strong magic and a wise leadership and wise military-wise advisors, they are considerably a strong stable power in the South.

Edited by - silvermage on 08 Mar 2006 00:57:54
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  03:14:49  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not be able to pin down a "super power" as in RW, But some Fr nations or alliances that are semi-powerful.

cormyr
the silver marches alliance

Waterdeep, w/ the aid of it's allies.

Evermeet, but they have taken on quite a bit in the last few years

some of the city-states in the utter east could be formidable with their money hire cmercenaries.

speaking about money, semia would be fairly powerful.

the dale lands have seemed able to repel war after war and still come out ok

thay, with their wizards, undead, and slaves.

Aglarond

these are just a few just off the top of my head and with no number to quote for armies and such

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  06:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...there a some nations and even organizations that can qualify for the superpower status or are formidable enough to deter or invoke aggression. So in terms of economic(healthy cash flow is needed to finance a long term war) and military might and based on the current situations, here are my answers:

1) The cities of the Silver Marches- generally prosperous enough and backed by formidable and well-trained military and arcane units, well-coordinated forces and well timed. But the Confederation is led and held together by Lady Alustriel. But economic might is quite reliant on trading with other cities and nations, so in times of war, their economic might may be weakened, in turn compromising the military in a long-term fight. If Alustriel is not available to hold the confederation together, the cities of the Silver Marches may fall into squabble. But when united, their combined might would serve as a good barrier against Obould's hordes.

2) Cormyr-possibly may rise or may not rise back to its pre-war status due to the current political storm and internal bickering in Cormyr and even Cormyr's military take some years to restore itself back to full fighting capability and numbers. Steel Regent Alusair can lead and coordinate the defense of Cormyr well for now, but much depends on the new King Azoun V if Cormyr is truly to see itself restored to its glorious reputation. But currently, Cormyr is in no position to help their neighbours without compromising their security.

3) Evermeet-good geographic location(less vulnerable from attack except through the Underdark, with formidable divine and magical defense around the island, with strategic alliances in place and well defended from sea and air but one weakness may be in its land military which is not strong enough to hold on its own without magical support. But given that magical support on the island is formidable yet limited, Evermeet can be considered to be considerably powerful in its own right for now, but their military and arcane needs modernisation to ably handle future crises efficiently and effectively where static defenses may not be able to compensate for.

4) Dalelands-Quite disunited, their defense much relies on the few small adventuring companies on standby, units familiar with the surrounding forestland and landscape as well as the presence of the three Chosen of Mystra. They can withstand external threats, more in terms of melee fighting well enough but in the face of insidious foes like Countess Sarya, foes with insidious and powerful dark magic as well as powerful melee fighters, the Dalelands may find itself at a disadvantage due to lack of sufficient numbers of magic users. Elminister alone can compensate for that lack of poweful magic units but if he is not around, Dove and Storm limited magical abilities may not compensate much. Against monsters with melee fighting skills, the Dalelands are quite capable of holding their own. The internal squabbling, ambitions and lack of unity at times among the representatives of the Dalelands may change that.

5)Sembia-the nation is superior in terms of economic might compared with its neighbours. But their military is small, relatively inexperienced(dangerous in times of war and against formidable foes), and relies on mercernaries to make up for size and numbers. The lack of sufficient real experienced military leaders means Sembia had to hire foreign military leaders at high price(good things are never cheap), Sembia economic might can sustain its military for a while, but in the face of increasing costs and losses in a prolonged conflict, Sembia may lose out as they are heavily reliant on economic activities.

6)Thay-the backbone of its power lies with the Zulkirs and the Red Wizards, with a fair economic health(thanks to its overseas trading services) and vast conscripted and fairly/poorly trained legions(excluding the Thayan Knights), given the defeat it suffered against the Tuigans and Rashemen. Thay military is not formidable or strong enough but their magical might is absolute, and formidable. Thay may rely more on magical superiority to fight its wars and invade its neighbours. Weakness in its defense or strategy may lie in its legions if not corrected, if not corrected, the magical power of Thay may be hindered as its mages are left quite vulnerable.

7) Aglarond and Rashemen-Aglarond military is rag-tag but fine enough, no standing navy-sea trading may be compromised in war-and fair magical support but much of it is provided by The Simbul-who likely serves as the backbone of magical mignt of Aglarond. If the defense of Aglarond is strong, much depends on the Simbul, if she is removed, then a suitable replacement is needed if Aglarond is to stand strong. Rashemen is well-balanced in terms of military and arcane with its berserkers and witches, and outstanding performance against the Thayans and the Tuigans which proves its ability to defend itself well enough, economy is generally fair, Rashemen unlikely to suffer much in a protracted conflict.

8)Waterdeep-economically and militarily balanced, but military is generally strong enough and arcane support generally sufficient. In the past, the military, arcane and city had proven itself but in the current years, performace is a bit lacking. Given the current situation, Waterdeep seemed more reliant on adventuring companies to do pre-emptive strikes against potential threats to Waterdeep. Current weakness evaluation is that if the economy is affected severely, the military is similary affected to a certain degree(example: will soldiers fight if there is no pay? Answer is unlikely unless patriotically inspired). Like Cormyr, the city takes time to recover itself.

9) Shade Enclave-economy of Shade Enclave seemed self-reliant and fine enough but not prosperous nor poor. Military performance is currently good but one advantage is their rich experience, can be formidable if supported well and properly with good arcane support and strong leadership with capable leaders. If they can hold Anauroch well enough and keep the Zhents off, they are indeed strong enough indeed.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 08 Mar 2006 06:16:17
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  15:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the details of the mighy cities/countries of the realms...

Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  16:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One that hasn't been mentioned - Mulhorand. It's economic potential is probably as great as Thay's, the military is probably stronger, and it seems to have very powerful divine magic and reasonably strong arcane magic. They're currently engaged in absorbing their long-time enemy Unther, so their military is getting plenty of practical experience. If I was a ruler of one of Chessenta's city states or a Zulkir of Thay I'd be getting worried.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  11:19:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenose

One that hasn't been mentioned - Mulhorand. It's economic potential is probably as great as Thay's, the military is probably stronger, and it seems to have very powerful divine magic and reasonably strong arcane magic. They're currently engaged in absorbing their long-time enemy Unther, so their military is getting plenty of practical experience. If I was a ruler of one of Chessenta's city states or a Zulkir of Thay I'd be getting worried.

I don`t remember where but in a text I read Mulhorand was called the awakening giant. Be afraid Thay, be very afraid. he he he.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  11:35:45  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would LOVE to see some in depth info on Mulhorand...speaking of which, what happened to Southern Magic as a 'style'? I leafed through my 3.x books and couldn't find anything

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  16:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Calimport? I heard that it is the biggest nation in the world, and tethyr?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  17:46:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

What about Calimport? I heard that it is the biggest nation in the world, and tethyr?

Biggest doesn't mean supreme. Calimshan certain is fairly important in that part of the world, but the further you get from there, the less important it becomes.

I believe Calimport is the biggest city in the Realms, but it's hardly one of the best or most noteworthy cities of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  00:54:45  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nope, they of Calimshan only control a vast swath of barren land, even the economy isn't that strong. There are more impoverished people on the streets than nobles. Even Calimshan government is rumored to be a unwilling and ignorant puppet of the Twisted Rune organization. Tethyr? Only out of the hot pan of civil war and yet to stabilize down, the Tethyrian military isn't well trained enough nor large enough.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  05:19:31  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Sundabar, Adbar, Mirabar and all the other -bars? Are they considered strong?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  06:57:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about Sundabar, Adbar, Mirabar and all the other -bars? Are they considered strong?

Strong, yes. Supreme, no.

Go to Top of Page

keijemon
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  18:53:37  Show Profile  Visit keijemon's Homepage Send keijemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been meaning to ask, what's up with uber tiny armies everyone has? I mean Roman empire had single legion larger than most of FR armies, and Rome had almost 20 legions at the hight of its power.

FR states seem so... weak.

The greatest trick Ao ever pulled, is convincing Toril he didn't exist.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  20:45:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Size. The Roman Empire was a heck of a lot bigger than most FR states... And, they liked having big armies to chuck at folks.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  21:28:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And at best they were War 3 *wink* with maybe a Figther 4 as commander.

Legions where not alays that big either and often operated alone. A legion full strength would have a range of 3,600 to perhaps as much as 6,000 troops depending on configurations used and time of the Realms rule.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

keijemon
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2006 :  23:22:28  Show Profile  Visit keijemon's Homepage Send keijemon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Size is actually a non issue here, since all those legions (at least in the time of republic) were provided by a single city, it is only later that other italian provinces were allowed to join the Roman legion, before they would send a separate army unit to assyst in defense, those didn't count as part of legions. And if those stats on cities like Menzo and Waterdeep are to be believed, they should be able to match Rome. Ceasar's favorite legion was 10k units, and he had 3 or 4 more legions with him when he subdued the Gauls. All those were citizens of the city of Rome.

My point however is not about numbers of soldiers, it's about my bufflement with the fact that there are no major military empire in FR. They have everything for it (including ambitions), its against human nature not to have it in such circumstances.

The greatest trick Ao ever pulled, is convincing Toril he didn't exist.

Edited by - keijemon on 24 Mar 2006 23:25:41
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  01:29:39  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My point however is not about numbers of soldiers, it's about my bufflement with the fact that there are no major military empire in FR. They have everything for it (including ambitions), its against human nature not to have it in such circumstances.

No major military empire in Faerun? How about an Arcane and Military Empire in Faerun? Previously there was such kind of empires, think of the elven empire of Aryvaandar, Aryvaandar an elven state was considered the best in terms of arcane might and their legions are vast-outnumbering those of the other elven states- and they occupied a vast swath of land but the problem is that with a large empire, no matter how big the empire armies may be, there is always a problem of deployment and strategy as the empire armies are stretched thin across the borders of the empire or deployed in this or that city as a garrison-not a wise decision at times- and if one part of the defense is attacked, then the line of defence and deployment had to be reorganized again and more attacks, more reorganization leads to less effective deployment of the empire vast armies. Look at Aryvaandar empire, the military is so bogged down fighting here and there that there is no effective communication among the forces and each force acts on its own, leading to poor coordination and loss of territories and cities to the foes of Aryvaandar.

Secondly, why no military empire in Faerun today? Maintaining vast military forces in so many locations can really be a scourge on the empire economy-even the richest economy cannot sustain a superlarge army for long- as the military needs a lot of financial grants for salaries, maintenance, weapon research, defences, and intelligence services and it is very difficult to finance even a >20k army in even one location for long except for the orc armies which seemed is runned on fear and divine inspiration but human, elven, dwarven armies all march on their stomach as the saying goes. Also, troops deployed in an location for too long without action gets bored and they lose their professionalism as they become stagnant, soon they will question their superior orders and start grumbling, then they talk about missing their families, then they talk of low pay, followed by insubordination, desertion and mutiny. This was the main problem with the Roman Legions which the Caesar and the generals refused to recognize and recognized it too late.

In the realms, each country, state and city maintains armies that they can keep and maintain in the long term without harming the economy and causing low morale in the troops. At most, 1000-3000(3000 for Shade) is quite good enough for most cities and medium sized states. 6000-8000 (at most 6000) are maintained by Evermeet and Evereska(before the Phaerimm War). In crises, they can swell their ranks with mercenaries and conscription but this is a risky gamble as it can cause the downfall of the city/country economy if the gamble is a bad one.
For the orcs, Fey'ri and those with formidable magical power, they need no economy to finance their armies. With fear, intimidation and some false divine-words, orcs will come running to your banner. With great magical power, one can empty the hells and abyss of troops and if done, your army is millions already provided one can keep them in line and keep the magic going.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  06:42:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If one stops overanalyzing this for a few minutes, and tries to answer the "who's the most mighty realm in Faerun, one that pitted against any other realm would transform the said realm into a fine pink mist" question simply by making a mental whirlwind tour of the FR map, one would 'have' to say Mulhorand, without a doubt. I'm glad others mentioned them on this thread... they really put any other realm to shame in terms of raw might. Worse, they even have people begging them to be their slaves (as they seem to be very well fed/trained/educated, etc.) Now, with the leader of the Goldswords teaching "the ways of the free woman" to our humble little Pharaoh, can you say "ouch, this country will now have twice the current productivity due to women being allowed traditionally male job, perhaps becoming business owners themselves..."

Never underestimate the power of a woman scorned... or in this case:

Get out of the way when thousands of women who have been scorned for thousands of years can now have a say in the matter...
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  06:55:23  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

If one stops overanalyzing this for a few minutes, and tries to answer the "who's the most mighty realm in Faerun, one that pitted against any other realm would transform the said realm into a fine pink mist" question simply by making a mental whirlwind tour of the FR map, one would 'have' to say Mulhorand, without a doubt. I'm glad others mentioned them on this thread... they really put any other realm to shame in terms of raw might. Worse, they even have people begging them to be their slaves (as they seem to be very well fed/trained/educated, etc.) Now, with the leader of the Goldswords teaching "the ways of the free woman" to our humble little Pharaoh, can you say "ouch, this country will now have twice the current productivity due to women being allowed traditionally male job, perhaps becoming business owners themselves..."

Never underestimate the power of a woman scorned... or in this case:

Get out of the way when thousands of women who have been scorned for thousands of years can now have a say in the matter...

No disrepect intended, but you would be wrong. I do not feel that one "supreme" power exists at this point, in the realms. There are several powerful nations, alliances, etc. I would ask you to provide an "example" of what you suggest. Proove to me how Mulhorand would be the one. I also would not "over analyze", however, without prooving different, your hypothisis is mute. There would be too many factors involved with this particular senario, to come up with just "one". You would have to look at geographic location, money, allies, military might, tactical know how of the leaders, and several other factors, that would allow me to think otherwise. Until then I do not think that Mulhorand would be dominate.

Edited by - scererar on 25 Mar 2006 07:14:44
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  09:32:54  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've inferred (right or wrong) that Mulhorand has a weak navy. The fact that they have not formed a naval blockade on Messemprar speaks volumes.

Without a good navy, Mulhorand's reach is definitely limited by supply chain logistics and vulnerabilities.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  09:36:00  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

I've inferred (right or wrong) that Mulhorand has a weak navy. The fact that they have not formed a naval blockade on Messemprar speaks volumes.

Without a good navy, Mulhorand's reach is definitely limited by supply chain logistics and vulnerabilities.

Well, a strong navy, from a military perspective, would be very important. From the geographical location of Mulhorand, vs. the rest of Faerun, this is imperative. And yes I would agree that the ability to not be able to blocade a certain adversary, would lead to ones conclusion that that particular realm, was not a "realms dominate" player.

Edited by - scererar on 25 Mar 2006 09:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2006 :  15:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think most likely in the end, it would be the zhentil keep which can be considered the strongest, either that or the drows from probably Menzoberannzan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000