Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Allrighty then, who thinks they can help me?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  16:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
At least by this weekend (3-4-06)

I'm looking looking for ideas for a level 18 group. The current plot line doesn't really matter. It doesn't matter where, when or what plane. I'm looking for some ideas!

Have at it.

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  16:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of group do you have? Can you supply classes, races and some play style information?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

What kind of group do you have? Can you supply classes, races and some play style information?

I sure can

Level 18's

Ranger, cleric (with a pegasus cohort), sorcerer/spellsword, rogue/sorcerer.

Mix of "kill 'em and take their stuff" to "like to roleplay"
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about taking the party into a grand adventure during the Times of Trouble? I did that with my group and it produced some of the best gaming i have ever dm´ed... There is so many events and villains engaged in the situation and it is a pure buffet of great stories...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:28:29  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ToT, noted.

Keep 'em comin!
Go to Top of Page

Firhyanda
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Firhyanda's Homepage Send Firhyanda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings

Often times when I go to write an adventure I need just a little inspiration so here are a few places in the realms you could start. I think that an adventure involving the monastery of the yellow rose and a hunt for the king of worms might be in order. Or perhaps something set in the high ice of Anauroch the rift of stars there are a lot of ideas in frost burn that are easily adaptable to this part of the realms. A single often overlooked feat in the expanded psionics hand book hidden talent pg 67. One of the PCs has suddenly obtained some small measure of psionic power and is experiencing visions of Cynosure why? If all else fails I like to drag up old 2e artifacts I think there was one called the thrown of the gods perhaps they could go looking for that.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  17:45:42  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excactly... Nothing like a good old treasure hunt... You can always link all sorts of side adventures and happenings to such a story line... Good luck.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  18:00:47  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrange it so the PC’s are going to stay or at least restock their provisions in a small town. (A Pegasus needs lots of food, clothes are getting raggedy, something) An unnaturally powerful storm sweeps into the area. A storm isn’t a huge deal for 18th level characters, but without a good reason to go out in it, they should probably seek shelter for the night.

In the morning, the storm has cleared, and there is a bunch of activity in the town. Seems that, during the night the building directly next door to the Inn the players stayed at (Making the building the store where the players are waiting for their equipment would be a bonus) has vanished, sorta. There is a large, deep sinkhole instead of the building. The villagers are, or course horrified and curious. The local guard are keeping the people away from the edge. The townspeople are nervous, but mostly calm and orderly.

Right as the PC’s approach the hole to see what happened, a large, sticky tentacle rears out of the hole, snatches a guardsman (“with a crunch that sounds like stepping on seashells”) and whips the guardsman down the hole.

Townspeople freak out and flee, making a huge mess of chaos.

Later, since the PC’s probably kind of stand out (A Pegasus is like a neon sign pointing at the characters, flashing “HERO” over and over again) a representative of the townspeople approaches the characters, asking for help. (assuming the PC’s don’t dive right into the hole.) A small village really doesn’t have much to offer 18th level characters, but they should offer what you think would be appropriate for their wealth level. (“Free grain for a year, six barrels of Ale, two bolts of wool and the service of Terrik, the local stable boy, for six seasons”)

Here’s the deal:

Underneath the village, in the underdark, there is a deep and wide lake. Except for the occasional critter, nothing much of interest was there. Until recently. A powerful summoner (cleric, mage, theurge, your choice) has take up residence there, raising a tower on a small island almost directly below the town.

The summoner hasn’t moved there by chance. In the village, almost a year ago, a small girl (around seven or eight years old) was found wandering around the grounds of the temple of [cleric’s deity]. The girl says she was orphaned, but can’t remember much, and tends to tremble when people mention her parents. She talks about traveling in a caravan, but that’s about all. The clerics figure that the girls parents were merchants, and had been murdered by bandits while traveling, and took her in to care for her.

This is a lie; the girl is a powerful wizard and is really a [rangers favored enemy] who has permanently shapechanged, polymorphed, etc herself into the form of a small child. She is in hiding, because her former master is seeking vengeance. The girl sorcerer slew her master’s wife/harem/loved ones and stole away with a [appropriate magic item that would make one of the sorcerers drool].

The wizard in the underdark cavern is, of course, the old master of the girl. The wizard in the tower is nearly insane as the people that his ex-apprentice murdered were very close to him, and discovering the blasted body of his wife has rattled him.

The wizard has finally tracked down his old apprentice, but the girl became aware of him almost immediately. Over the last few months they have been having a very silent war of summond creatures, seeking spells and other ‘behind-the-scenes’ effects. They are doing this to avoid the attention of powerful groups (Harpers, Moonstars, Zhents…just base it on where they are).

The large creature that burrowed up, destroyed the building and ate the guard is an escaped outerplaner creature that the girl has summoned. The girl has left accidental proof in a field, where the creature escaped by burrowing into the earth. The PC’s should hear about this later in the day, and might spot the remains of a summoning circle.

The wizards tower should contain the mad rantings of the wizard, mostly talking about the trials he went through to find the girl. The PC’s should be well aware of the fact that the wizard is seeking revenge on someone before they ever encounter the wizard. They should also have a chance to see the wizards own summoning circle and see that it’s done if a different style (the sorcerer hopefully has a high enough Knowledge Arcana check to determine that the two circles were drawn by different people, although with similar training.)

The parties cleric should also notice that his brothers and sisters of his cloth are acting a little bit strangely (Charmed or dominated by the girl), providing them another lead towards the girl.

If worse comes to worse, and they never pick up on the girl, then at least you can have a dungeon crawl attacking the mad wizard, but hopefully they will see that there are two evil and powerful spellcasters in the same small town. Not to mention an escaped and mostly mindless demon-thing that is burrowing under the ground and occasionally sucking the soul out of people.

The personalities of the bad guys should mostly be up to you and tailored to annoy and/or charm your PC’s. If your players don’t mind the grislyness of it, I’d have the players find the corpse of the small girl that the apprentice had to kill in a vile ritual to assume her form permanently. Have the Mad Wizard animate the bodies of his wife, just to keep her around (for extra creepy, have him animate his two small children as well…a couple of zombies in one of the chambers mindlessly playing with childrens toys and perhaps wailing for release from this tourtured existence.)

And have the demon-thingy eat about a person a day, perhaps destroying more of the village as it does so. Does wonderful things for the pressure on the adventurers.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  18:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wizards of the Coast has two free 18th level adventures that an be found here...(there are also many from other levels that can be adapted)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b

The Web Enhancement for Champions of Ruin also contains a level 17 adventure (not hard to adapt to 18) which can be found here...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20050712a
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  19:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough Jindael they live in a keep surrounded by a village that kind of grew up around them. They had better have a vested interest in taking care of whatever problem that would be eating their villagers. :)

I'll take a look at those adventures CoB.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  14:55:27  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you decide to use my idea, or parts of it, let me know how it turns out.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000