Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favourite Planetouched?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  23:53:07  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I was just curious about your favourites among the oddballs that are those touched by the planes? I have used Races of Faerun as a base, but I have left an other option open in case you have one from another source. Like one of the Monster Manuals. I am curious about your opinions.

Thanks.

Choices:

Aasimar
Air Genasi
Earth Genasi
Fey''ri
Fire Genasi
Tanarukk
Tiefling
Water Genasi
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 22 Feb 2006 23:54:20

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  00:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of sheer coolness, I love the fey'ri. Evil shapechanging elves -- what's not to love?

I also really like water genasi. Something about the ability to breathe water really intrigues me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  00:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foremost, I would prefer to Aassimars, for I like them especially their divine heritage made them look legendary and near immortalized, they almost reminded me of Hercules, and I sometimes used them for significant campaigns. Next on the line would be the Fey'ri, not that they are as sassy like Countess Sarya, but rather ever since I read the Last Mythal books, I think I liked them too because they got intelligence and cunning, and the way they infiltrated into Evermeet really raised my opinion of them.
The last on my list would be Tanarruks, they look ugly and brusque

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 23 Feb 2006 00:40:13
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  02:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the idea of air genasi, and have a character concept of an air genasi duelist that I'd love to get round to playing one day.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  02:11:39  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Fey'ri though they are tainted by their Gold Elf blood, my other favorite are Tieflings.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  02:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ice Genasi

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  03:42:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going with the "coolness" factor the Furry Hamster mentioned above... I'd say the Fey'ri as well, with the Tanarukk coming in a close second.

In terms of "playability"... I'd say any of he elemental genasi -- with a particular prevalence toward fire genasi because one of my most memorable FR NPCs is an evil Kossuth-worshipping fire genasi who tried to establish a Red Wizard enclave of his own in Selgaunt.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  08:21:09  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Air Genasi
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  10:01:14  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tieflings. I like anti-heroes that can survive on just about anything (bones, charcoil, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  15:11:55  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OTHER
hmm wish these were on it

chaond
zenythri
Maeluth
Mechanatrix
Wispling
Shyft

i can't decide between shyft or Zenythri

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  15:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I love to play the Aasimar. And the water and earth genasi are close second/third.

For evil bad guys...the Fey"ri are too cool.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really just prefer the regular core races, but voted for tieflings.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that Tiefling character in BG2 kinda swayed my vote in that direction.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

FireKnife
Acolyte

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  15:20:51  Show Profile  Visit FireKnife's Homepage Send FireKnife a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the aasimar. They are noble and have an aura about them. Destined for greatness. Then again they also make for the tragic anti-hero. Tanarukks are my second choice.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  14:48:54  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a big fan of the planetouched in general, I like them all. I voted for tieflings because they are just my personal favorite. A little or a lot fiendish, depending on your preference, its not too much of a stretch to play them as "good" characters if you want, but they can make great bad guys too. I also really like all of the para-genasi from Dragon magazine (can't remember the issue.)

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  15:08:43  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fey'ri, but playing one as a PC is a bad idea (+2 race).

Edited by - Skeptic on 13 Mar 2006 15:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  15:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Fey'ri, but playing one as a PC is a bad idea (+2 race).

Yeah, those level adjustments can have a big impact, particularly at lower levels. I very rarely play anything with an adjustment higher than 1, (with the exception of half-dragons) although only a +2 for the fey'ri is not too bad at all.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2006 :  15:35:24  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma
Yeah, those level adjustments can have a big impact, particularly at lower levels. I very rarely play anything with an adjustment higher than 1, (with the exception of half-dragons) although only a +2 for the fey'ri is not too bad at all.

From my current campaign where a player played a fery'ri (befored she died 2 times and create a new character) :

At low level : Lower hit points hit really hard.
At high level : Those extra racial abilities become nearly worthless because the other party members can do the same or better with spells/class abilities/magical items.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  04:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

From my current campaign where a player played a fery'ri (befored she died 2 times and create a new character) :

At low level : Lower hit points hit really hard.
At high level : Those extra racial abilities become nearly worthless because the other party members can do the same or better with spells/class abilities/magical items.

That pretty much sums it up. I try not to focus too much on that aspect of it though if I have a good character concept.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  04:12:32  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot to say, that the worse of it is dying when you play a +x race, because you are even more behind the party, with even less hit points...

Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  02:46:24  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always liked the Aasimar the best, because it makes for wonderful Character Background options...

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2006 :  07:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fire Genasi. I'm not really that sure why. Perhaps it's because I'm a fire sign myself (Aries)?

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Vainelus
Seeker

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  04:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Vainelus's Homepage Send Vainelus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say aasimar and tielfing are my favorite planetouch to see players use(I am a Dm so I don't actually get to play long term characters). I have made the fey'ri into great campaign villains much to one of my players chagrin that's just what happens when you play a gold elf and your brother happens to be evil and betrays Evermeet. However from the player side, I feel that more than a one lvl adjustment just puts the PC to far behind the curve. Also, I really enjoy writing stories that involve either divine beings, or fiends of some kind which lends to my support of the tielfings and aasimar. I also have a soft spot for the shadow planetouch presented in the Underdark book, I can't think of their name at the moment and I don't have my Underdark book with me. I have yet to see one of the shadow planetouch played so I have no idea how good/bad they are in a campaign.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  05:26:06  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the cansin. Chaos, randomness, and out there.

Dragon #297, p.62 Xysma.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  16:49:40  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd Have to say Tanarukk. Going through an Orc Phase so... anything with orc has My Vote

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  17:17:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am really not a fan of planetouched and don't really use them in my game, but I would say the thiefling is the one I would consider in the right type of adventure
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2006 :  21:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a great fan of the Tanarukk. Loved them since i ran into them in WotSQ and the Black Bouquet. Love the ferocity of orcs, and combined with the evil of demons... Thats a natural born killer. Love it.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2006 :  21:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the Air Gensai. I have been playing around with playing a Air Gensai Mage that is reckless in his magical studies but most of the time useful. I think I just might have to go with that.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2006 :  14:57:45  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite would have to be air gensai because I loved my air gensai Cleric of Shaundakal. I ended up retiring him after the campaign was over and the dm has used him a few times as recurring npc. 2nd would have to be tanrukkas. They would be first. but after they slaughtered my Orog Fighter/Cleric when he was gonna challenge Kanyr Vhok for leadership of the Scourred Legion I kinda soured on them.

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2006 :  18:39:10  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Fey'ri. I think their big appeal for me was that they had a culture, whereas many of the Plane Touched are loners.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2006 :  18:20:33  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised to see just how many people like the aasimar. Must be more Upper Planes fans out there than I'd figured.

Myself, I chose the tanarruk, mainly because they're such monstrous fellows and they make for such tough enemies. Especially when your PCs have gotten used to just blowing through the poor orcs.

After them, I'd go for the Fey'ri. Demon-blooded elves, what's not to like? Though if I ever used them in a campaign, I'd prefer to keep them a small scale threat as compared to some other folks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000