Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Worst threat to Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Jalfrez
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  19:47:06  Show Profile  Visit Jalfrez's Homepage Send Jalfrez a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There have been a lot of dangers in Faruen, but I want to know the one think that could have dominated it.

Edited by - Alaundo on 23 Feb 2003 10:35:29

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  20:02:04  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the time of Troubles is a quite good example of a VERY dangerous threat for the Reamls no?

Anyway, the heroes of the novels bearly alwways save the world at the end
Go to Top of Page

Kendillin
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  20:03:06  Show Profile  Visit Kendillin's Homepage Send Kendillin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say The Pool of Radiance, because it spreads like ants.
Go to Top of Page

Jalfrez
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  21:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Jalfrez's Homepage Send Jalfrez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the chaoas curse

Millike for all
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  01:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with zemd and think the Time of Troubles would be the worst threat to Faerun, because it was the only time when the Balance was threatened. There have been other great evil acts, but they weren't a real threat because they were just a part of the Balance.
Go to Top of Page

MidNight
Acolyte

Netherlands
43 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  21:08:32  Show Profile  Visit MidNight's Homepage Send MidNight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also agree with zemd.
Maybe the gods themselves are the biggest threat to Faerun, but also the ones able to restore it, in the end.

Love magic for itself. Do not treat it just as a weapon to reshape the world to your will. True wisdom is knowing when not to use magic. Strive to use magic less as your powers develop, for often the threat or promise of its use outstrips is actual performance. Magic is an Art, the Gift of the Lady, and those who wield it are privileged it the extreme. Conduct yourself humbly, not proudly, while being mindful of this. Use the Art deftly and efficiently, not carelessly and recklessly. Seek always to learn and create new magic.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2003 :  23:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must agree that 'The Time of Troubles' was probably one of the most threatening things to happen to Faerun.

But none of that compares to the dangers that the Scribe of this Keep could do, after a Bhuna on a Friday night of heavy mead drinking and much merryment . You ought to see that guy in action. His powers would even make Manshoon tremble in his boots and his Mortal Combat-esque get up!

Speaking of Manshoon, maybe one day those Zhents will cause some havoc once more.

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  09:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Avatar Crisis (Time of Troubles) will always be the greatest event for Faerun....gods walking the land and unpredictable magic is pretty hard to beat!

I heard some time ago that the events of the Threat from the Sea series was to be MUCH larger scale and destruction that it turned out to be, and the author was told to tone down the finale in the last novel for some reason. Shame

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 04 Mar 2003 09:27:57
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  09:29:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich
But none of that compares to the dangers that the Scribe of this Keep could do, after a Bhuna on a Friday night of heavy mead drinking and much merryment . You ought to see that guy in action. His powers would even make Manshoon tremble in his boots and his Mortal Combat-esque get up!

I know nothing of these events ::hic::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Leona
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  05:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Leona's Homepage Send Leona a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Future, more immediate global threats could be the Return of Bane, which will definitely see some clashes between the Dark Sun and the Banites. Otherwise, Shar and Mystra might clash due to the Shadow Weave.

More localised threats could be how Cormyr survives without Azoun, the view of the other interest groups on the Thayan Enclaves and of course who can forget the arrival of Shade?
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:12:12  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To put it in a nutshell, Leona, you think that there'll be a massive rise of local conflicts that'll lead to a toril wide war?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wee! Sounds like fun!

Er, on this side of the fourth wall, anyway. ^_^"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I think the idea of a massive rise of local conflicts that'll lead to a toril wide war, as Zemd said, is an interesting idea.

Just imagining an series of efficient assassinations (supported by the Zhentarim, or the Red Wizards) of popular or prominent leaders for some important Realms nations, all carried out Realms-wide and at relatively the same time with the Zhentarim then quickly taking over control, would be enough of a threat to induce a near-Realms wide conflict, not to mention the chaos that would follow, is reason enough to be a little worried at what some situations could bring.

Ahh... the possibilities...

Good learning...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Leona
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:44:44  Show Profile  Visit Leona's Homepage Send Leona a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

To put it in a nutshell, Leona, you think that there'll be a massive rise of local conflicts that'll lead to a toril wide war?

Not all happening at the same time though. Whatever comes first will be decided by the name of the year. (Ok, so I forgot what is 1373 DR) My guess is that Shade and the Heartlands will be the first conflict. Later we could see how Luskan plots against the Silver Marches, by having a drug operation there. Remember, Khelben and Fzoul had an agreement to limit Zhentarim expansion to the west of the Moonsea region for 30 years, so that could be the next.

Of course this is all just my hypothetical guess. Feel free to add stuff like the split of Amn, more surface invasions from Menzoberrezan, Semmemnon retaking Darkhold.

Makes you wonder that Faerun is a hotbed of explosives just waiting to be detonated eh?
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  18:19:03  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And i'd like so much that it explodes!
What stories we could have with a new widespread conflict in faerun and this time it could longer and more difficult to know who is the villain, and who is the "traditional good guy".
Go to Top of Page

Leona
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  02:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Leona's Homepage Send Leona a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

And i'd like so much that it explodes!
What stories we could have with a new widespread conflict in faerun and this time it could longer and more difficult to know who is the villain, and who is the "traditional good guy".

In this case, Khelben and the Moonstars fits the perfect role of the above mentioned. We all know the extreme measures Khelben will take to preserve the Balance.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  08:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I forsee a major upcoming battle between Mystra and Shar (which Shar cannot hope to win) regarding their clashing magical portfolios. Needless to say, I se nothing but trouble since the Shadow Weave went public, and I sense that **** is gonna go down, to put it bluntly.

Beyond that, I also can forsee a Godswar possibly occuring soon, which would be ten times worse than the Time of Troubles. The Godswar would be sparked, I believe, by clashes between Shar and Mystra, Bane and Cyric, Kelemvor and Cyric, and the possible reappearance of Myrkul (which would suck).

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  09:18:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would the reappearance of Myrkul be so bad, Edain?.

He was one of my favorite deities - so much so, that for my home FR campaign, he was never actually destroyed in the ToT just demoted to a demi-god status, although part of his portfolio was lost to Kelemvor as official FR material states (I think I said somewhere that a few things in my FR campaign were a little different).

Could you perhaps elaborate on why you think it would be so bad?.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for starters he'll try and win back the portfolio of the dead and lose miserably. But beyond that his niche has been filled by a variety of new dieties, to the point that if he reappeared, it would take about is seconds for a couple of the eviler powers to gang up and destroy him. Now, that may seem fairly simple, but I firmly believe that Myrkul would be more than capable of starting something before he got himself utterly obliterated. Also, I am not a fan of the God of the Dead being evil, it just doesn't fit. I believe that a LN God fo the Dead is the only way to go, but that's my opinion.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2003 :  07:15:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Edain I agree with you about a God of the Dead being LN instead of evil. One of the reasons I kept Myrkul in place in my home campaign was for exactly this reason. I had originally intended the fallen Myrkul to hold the portfolio of only evil and chaotic dead, Kelemvor being responsible for everything else. This worked at the time, because my altered Planescape cosmology was a great help in defining a different Realms cosmology for the deities.

But back to the reason for a lawful neutral representation of a God of the Dead. I believe that since death is a natural part of ones life, it should be represented as LN or even just neutral complete rather than evil, because death should not be seen in the manner that some campaign settings describe it.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Minardil
Acolyte

Finland
18 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  18:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Minardil's Homepage Send Minardil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many great threats. One is nowcoming war of gods, where evil deities with something in their tooth (Bane, Shar, etc) will form an alliance, and good gods will respond. Also, war of all races upon all Faerūn would be a disaster, and it could be a result or cause of war of gods. Big threat would also be the villain of my FR campaign, who tries to open permanent gates to lower planes and let devils and demons loose over Faerūn. We're living interesting times, friends...

Can we not be friends? After all, our dust shall be equal in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  05:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except, one thing Minardil, evil deities do not get along. Do not think for a minute that the evil deities will be able ally for long, if at all. If they do ally, they will start backstabbing each other at the first possible convenience. Deities like Shar, Cyric, and Talos are rather Chaotic and opportunistic, they do not stay in alliances longer than they have to (and their allies often come out worse for wear, look at what happened to Mask after he allied whith Cyric). Now, I am not saying the evil deities could not start a Godswar and do serious damage, but it would be unlikely any ally.

Edain Shadowstar

"Mmm…pie…"
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  08:17:23  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Well, for starters he'll try and win back the portfolio of the dead and lose miserably. But beyond that his niche has been filled by a variety of new dieties, to the point that if he reappeared, it would take about is seconds for a couple of the eviler powers to gang up and destroy him. Now, that may seem fairly simple, but I firmly believe that Myrkul would be more than capable of starting something before he got himself utterly obliterated. Also, I am not a fan of the God of the Dead being evil, it just doesn't fit. I believe that a LN God fo the Dead is the only way to go, but that's my opinion.

If Mykrul came back, it could be at the expense of lesser dieties like Velsharoon and Talona rather than Kelemvor. I can picture Mykrul reborn as the god of Undeath, decay, and disease.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  17:31:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

If Mykrul came back, it could be at the expense of lesser dieties like Velsharoon and Talona rather than Kelemvor. I can picture Mykrul reborn as the god of Undeath, decay, and disease.

VERY good point!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Jaysen Darclyght
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2003 :  15:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Jaysen Darclyght's Homepage Send Jaysen Darclyght a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my own personal opinion, the biggest threat to Faerun are people wishing to keep the status quo. I personally am a product of the western twentieth century, and my RPG encounters most often reflect that. That stated, allow me to explain my position. In the Icewind Dale collectors edition, one of Drizzt's journal entries mentions an encounter with a Gondish Priest in a tavern. Drizzt was appalled by his ignorance about magical medieval life. I would like to think that I am not ignorant in such matters. As such, I think that magic, however integral to Faerun, is to powerful for its own good. The slow rise of technology will eventually gain steam, (Pardon the pun) and inevitably surpass magic in occurance. This is, however, assuming that there will be no jihads against technologists by wizards and clerics. Remember too much of anything is a bad thing. Magic needs to be scaled down.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  07:50:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't also play Battletech do you?...Word of Blake Jihad anyone...

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Oct 2003 07:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Jaysen Darclyght
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  12:34:04  Show Profile  Visit Jaysen Darclyght's Homepage Send Jaysen Darclyght a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard of that game before, but Word of Blake jihad has quite the negative conotation. Perhaps technology and magic are both things that threaten the very fabric of the world. Shucks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2003 :  05:08:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is essentially right.

The Word of Blake (as part of their interpretation of the words of Jerome Blake) wished to halt the technological and military progress made by each of the Successor States of the Inner Sphere. There were other underlying reasons for the 'crusade' against progress, but this seemed to be their one main area of focus, making sure that at the end of their 'attacks', most of the worlds would be reduced to feudal societies.

Go to Top of Page

Jaysen Darclyght
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  12:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Jaysen Darclyght's Homepage Send Jaysen Darclyght a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who wishes to stamp out progress is a villian. That person should be sent to Nuremburg immediately to stand for gross crimes against humanity. But seriously, any PC or NPC in any FR campaign who tries to keep the status quo, or even send the planet back a few decades is wrong. Such things are wrong. Whats done is done. It may have been a mistake on Salvatores part to give the pirates a cannon, but hey, thats progress. In a couple hundred FR years, they will be more common, and things will evolve with them and the society might very well become unchanged, or become something totally new and interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  14:05:23  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
to stopp progress is not bad at all, and allowing gunpowder to come to the realms was and is a mistake and villians are not so bad but i think they would rather be the one who further progress, but i do hope progress i stopped. And the worst treat to fauren is hel for some heaven for others
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2003 :  15:25:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric, it's easier (and makes the scroll simpler to read) just to use the 'EDIT' function to alter and/or add more comments to your existing post than to post again with the same text and your additions.

The 'EDIT' function is located at the top of your message reply post. Just click on the icon with the pencil and the paper, and that will allow you to edit your existing posts.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Nov 2003 15:28:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000