Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Name for a Militant Order of Oghma
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  16:28:49  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I have a character in my game who wants to start up a seriously militant order of Oghma. Made up of devout followers of Oghma who are not the brightest, but are good with their hands.

Primarily Warrior, Fighter, Marshal, and Monk like classes. Anyone who wishes may apply certainly, but we left the session without coming up with a good name.

The purpose of the militant order is to
1 Support the church of Oghma, particularly the Leaves of Learning.
2 Seek out lost knowledge in dangerous locations, allowing scribes to examine locations in safety.
3 Recover lost artifacts taken from the Church of Oghma
4 Seek out an destroy those who seek to destroy knowledge
5 Defeat all enemies of the church of Oghma
6 Be a popular force for good and Oghma
7 Spread Oghma's beliefs
8 Add to the sum of knowledge at the churches disposal
9 Write a few good sonnets, poems, and sagas.
10 Be a strong defensive force for the church of Oghma and its accumulated knowledge.

Any suggestions for a cool name for a bunch of Oghma worshipers who's purpose is to solve the church's more...uh...physical issues.

Thugs of Oghma just doesn't seem to cover it.
Swords of Oghma
Shields of Ogma...
Oghma's Omnipotent army

The one we came up with was and liked the most was Sacred Preservers. But we still weren't terribly happy with it. I was hoping for a few more suggestions on names, or goals.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  17:01:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the Companions of the Silver Strings appear to be the most agressive (though limited to bards), the other orders are Children of the Passive Voice (an order of learned monks whose members protect many libraries and abbeys), Order of the Gilt Laurel (fiction authors), Fellowship of the Forest (tree huggers, *wink*, a naturalist society).

Perhaps:
Knights of Knowledge
Order of the Book
Swords of Knowledge
Blades of Wisdom

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  17:15:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knights (or Order) of the Quill?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aelf
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  17:36:08  Show Profile Send Aelf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One idea, two parts:
I would suggest a longish 'official name' for the order. This is the name the church heirarchy chose when the order was commissioned.
Then, a more fluid common name that most everyone uses.

For this I think "Oghman Knights" works well.

As an inspiration for the first name, "Holy Knights of the Order of the Oghman Quill" approaches what I was thinking.

Best regards from your friendly neighborhood bard,
Aelf

Regards,
Aelf, a bard of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Knights of Knowledge... Have a nice ring to it. My vote goes for that one.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  19:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too like the Knights of Knowledge.
But I also like Aelf's idea of having a longer title for the order. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice long title for the Knights of Knowledge?

And while we are at it...any ideas on titles and ranks for the order? I'm thinking it will always be a small order, perhaps under 100 devotees.

I think a council of up to 10 persons, each with up to 9 persons under each council member. Keep the organisation simple.
perhaps two dozen people around to help with the cooking, cleaning, purchasing of supplies repair etc.

Edited by - Fletcher on 13 Dec 2005 19:45:09
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  19:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm i like the long names
Preservers of the texts
a page
the valiants of the parchments etc. could be titles

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  00:22:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
* Knights of the Holy Book
* Disciples of the Word (although that would probably be a better order name for servants of Deneir)
* Divine Servants of the Father of All Knowledge
* Holy Scribes of the Most Glorious Oghma
* Loremaster-Knights of Oghma

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  05:40:40  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

How about "The Mighty Quills"?

KInda thinking along the lines of "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" sort of thought.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  06:00:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

KInda thinking along the lines of "The Pen is Mightier than the Sword" sort of thought.

You know, I once grabbed a sword and handed a friend a pen, wanting to test that theory. Oddly enough, he declined.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  14:47:31  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello-

Dhomal

When I read that, all I could think of was "The Mighty Ducks."

Needless to say, how about "The Tenants of the Written Word."

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

* Disciples of the Word (although that would probably be a better order name for servants of Deneir)

knights of the holy book rings very Catholic Knights Templar...not quite what i was after.
Ooooh! Loremaster-Knights of Oghma! I like it!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  18:35:30  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:

Hello-

Dhomal

When I read that, all I could think of was "The Mighty Ducks."

Needless to say, how about "The Tenants of the Written Word."

C-Fb

And i hate to say it, but not only did I also think "The Mighty Ducks" but I even saw them running around the realms on magical skates wearing hockey gear, beating the puck out of their enemies.

The peanut gallery may now groan.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  21:55:27  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about........the lethal ink. Everyone would underestimate them.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  02:48:06  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first thought on this was The Knights of Knowledge, but Kentinal beat me to it.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenose
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
134 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  16:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Bluenose's Homepage Send Bluenose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

quote:

knights of the holy book rings very Catholic Knights Templar...not quite what i was after.
Ooooh! Loremaster-Knights of Oghma! I like it!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Another long title for your group:

The Militant and Erudite Order of the Book

You also wanted titles and organisation for your group. This will depend to a large extent on what they will be doing, and on how hierarchical they want to be. It would be perfectly possible to get by with a small number of ranks, especially if you want a relatively egalitarian organisation. Or you could give every position it's own specific title, which with a group of 100 people would be possible, that described both their duties and their responsibilities. Or you could even invent titles that have no meaning except to other members of the group and which outsiders would find totally incomprehensible. The "Grandiose Imperial Wyvern" does have a history

That said, here are a few titles that could make up a short hierarchy.

Knight of the Pen
Sword of the Book
Captain of the Word
Marshal of Lore

That's from lowest to highest in rank. I used Sword, but that's only because I can't remember Oghma's favoured weapon; if it is something else you'd probably want to use that.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  21:10:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mighty Bookflingers of Candlekeep

The Omniscient Order of the Fabled Libram

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  22:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knight of the Pen
Sword of the Book
Captain of the Word
Marshal of Lore

Any other thoughts on Ranks for the Holy Order in Service to the Father of All Knowledge? A.K.A. the Knights of Knowledge?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2005 :  23:36:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about following a derivative of the ranking system used here at Candlekeep and codified by Ed:-

First Acolyte
Second Acolyte
Seeker of Lore
First Learned Scribe
First Senior Scribe
Master of Lore
First Reader

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  04:08:53  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey I was thinking of this on the way to work this morning. the knights of Knowledge, Which several posters have said was a good choice. Then as far as titles or ranks within the sect, use the titles or similar ones to what candlekeep uses here. it fits.

acolyte level 1
seeker level 2-3
learned scribe level 4-5
senior scribe level 6
great reader level 7
master of lore level 8-9
great reader level 10

did I miss any?

You could even flesh other details (a lot of them), change some titles, but it almost seems it's own PRC. I would almost tailor purple knight as a template, but of course modify everything to fit into the god of knowledge's realm of things.

might be silly, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out to everyone. feel free to rip it a new one, nicely of course.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  04:13:07  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oops, after I posted I saw the sage's post. didn't mean to copy you. I still think this could work and I like the sages idea of first reader, instead of great reader.
Go to Top of Page

Deverien Valandil
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2005 :  06:39:30  Show Profile Send Deverien Valandil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Pages of Battle
(Look, a PUN! Mwah ha haa!)
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  15:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deverien Valandil

The Pages of Battle
(Look, a PUN! Mwah ha haa!)

Ouch. you made me snort my tea up my nose!

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  15:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

hey I was thinking of this on the way to work this morning. the knights of Knowledge, Which several posters have said was a good choice. Then as far as titles or ranks within the sect, use the titles or similar ones to what candlekeep uses here. it fits.

acolyte level 1
seeker level 2-3
learned scribe level 4-5
senior scribe level 6
great reader level 7
master of lore level 8-9
great reader level 10

did I miss any?

You could even flesh other details (a lot of them), change some titles, but it almost seems it's own PRC. I would almost tailor purple knight as a template, but of course modify everything to fit into the god of knowledge's realm of things.

might be silly, but I just wanted to get my thoughts out to everyone. feel free to rip it a new one, nicely of course.

Interesting idea...tailor a specific PRC. I really hadn't thought of it. I don't know why, there seems to be a PRC for everything else. Perhaps a 3 level PRC...

Requirements: Knowledge Religion (+5)
BAB +5
Must be of Good Alignment.

Saves as fighter
BAB as fighter
1st: Gain Gather information as class skill, Bardic Knowledge

2nd: +2 Diplomacy, Bonus fighter feat

3rd: (ideas anyone?)

Bardic knowledge is based upon your Knight of Oghma class level + Wisdom Modifier. If a character already has Bardic Knowledge relevan class levels stack, and choose highest stat modifier.

(Characters will never have a great deal of Bardic Knowledge, but there is a small chance that they can get a bit of info on just about anything.)

Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2005 :  15:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you think of these as rank titles?

Acolyte of the sword
Seeker
Learned Blade
Loremarshal

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  00:26:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I'm not sure about the "Sword" or "Blade" parts of the titles... but the rest sound okay.

I suppose the real question is, just how militant are these Knights of Oghma? If you can see them performing a large number of martial duties in their devotion to Oghma, then I would think the titles are appropriate. However, if they're going to be more bookish... and only sometimes need to face battle, then "Acolyte of the Sword" just really doesn't fit.

Looking at your points in the opening post... we can see a lot of "destroy", "force", and "defense" aspects, so taking this into consideration... the titles might be more relevant.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  02:07:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also steer away from overly combative titles, I feel that more knowledged based, titles would be better suited. What if you had the general members of this sect use the more knowledged based titles with a grand priest or head figure of some sort, then have a smaller elite force of battling priests. I can see these priests being used as the heroes who brave the frontiers, to gather lost knowledge in a recently discovered ruin, with a reputed ancient library of magically preserved scrolls. these "elite" forces could be used for many types of special missions of this sort, all in the name the god fo knowledge. these guys could really use some of more battlefield orientated language within there titles.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  14:40:12  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Scrivners of Blood" is right out then?

Seriously, though, you could use something like "The Blade of Scrivning" or "The Sword of Knowledge" for a generic type title.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2005 :  15:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the "Sword" or "Blade" parts of the titles... but the rest sound okay.

I suppose the real question is, just how militant are these Knights of Oghma? If you can see them performing a large number of martial duties in their devotion to Oghma, then I would think the titles are appropriate. However, if they're going to be more bookish... and only sometimes need to face battle, then "Acolyte of the Sword" just really doesn't fit.

Looking at your points in the opening post... we can see a lot of "destroy", "force", and "defense" aspects, so taking this into consideration... the titles might be more relevant.

The primary purpose of the Knights of Knowledge is to be the martial arm. I'm sure we've all met people who weren't the brightest bulbs, or who's greatest contribution to a cause wasn't mental.

The group so far has tackled a tribe of fiendish orcs in order to bring some scribes to examine ancient carvings. The carvings turned out to be a rather well written prophecy that has already come to pass in the form of the Scar. But it was interesting to see it written in runic giant.
They escorted 3 scribes, and all of thier accompanying animals and gear, saftly into and out of the spider haunt woods to search for a rumored lost temple that, frustratingly, they were never able to find.
They have defeated servants of Shar, Bane and retrieved a relic of Oghma from the grasps of the cult of the dragon.
The knights fought saghuin under water for hours so that a scribe could examine a mystic seal off the south of Fellaren-Krae.
They aren't exactly the brainiest bunch, but they admire the persuit of knowledge, and revere Oghma for a variety of reasons. The priest, and the psychic warrior having seen the need, have been actively recruiting and training fighters, in an attempt to form the militant order. They have the marshal and the fighter doing much of the actual weapons training, and a scribe teaching the acolytes more cerebral topics.

The party consists of :
Psychic Warror 8 of Oghma Saved by the church, devout follower not too bright. Sees it as his personal duty to take any blow targeted at a scribe.

War Mage 8 of Halruaa who thinks these Oghma guys are a route to power and lost knowledge.

Rogue 7 Of Oghma "It isn't what you know, it is what who you know knows." Eventually desires to become a politician.

Cleric of Oghma 8 "OGHMA!!" After having met the psychic warrior, he taught him to read and write and the two have been close freinds ever since.

Marshal of Oghma 6 (NPC) "As we all know scribes tend to do poorly in melee.." Realizes that much of the lost knowledge is lost because it resides in locations that are very deadly.

Fighter of Oghma 7 (NPC) "My cousin is a scribe, I promised to look out for him."

Ranger 3 Rogue 6 Of Oghma (NPC) Middle aged seeker of knowledge.

I say again, these are not the most intellectually focused of individuals. The party of 5 has a combined INT of 57. The wizard (finally) has 18, you do the math. They are, how ever, quite proficient at eliminating danger to noncombatants.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2005 :  03:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Knights of the Sacred Scroll? Personally I also liked the suggestion Knights of Knowledge

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000