Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Special Mount for Paladin of Helm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  20:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In my current campaign, a Paladin of Helm who has recently fallen into some bad publicity among the clergy will attempt to prove that he is still in the good graces of the vigilant one by calling a special mount in front of a public ceremony.

I was wondering what would be a good choice of mount for this character? I looked under the Faiths and Pantheons Web Enhancement under Helm and it did not list any animals sacred to him.

I am trying to think of something other than the standard War Horse, but of course, that could always do in a pinch.

As for the character personality (in case this helps), he is the quintessential Helmite. Incredibly lawful (to a fault) and is committed to defending his homeland (small town in Moonsea) against the villains of the area (Zhentil Keep).

Thanks in advance.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  20:40:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a mule could be interesting, they go into some dugeons.

What I would advise is consider the list of animals that your Paladin can ride. An # Elephant might be interesting, though the DM might not allow that. A bear might be ridable but that strikes me as a strange option.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  21:17:15  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, how about a giant owl? Helm is the ever watchful, and I know giant Owls can be ridden and Owls are known to be quite watchful..

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  22:30:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
definitely a black unicorn from Thay <g>

seriously though, an asperii (the wind horses), is very fitting as a mount.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  23:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

definitely a black unicorn from Thay <g>

seriously though, an asperii (the wind horses), is very fitting as a mount.

Asperi 3e stats are in the MMII, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  00:57:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Asperi. I don't really think an elephant or bear would work.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  03:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about an Axiomatic Heavy war horse or a Half Axiomatic Heavy Warhorse?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  03:39:54  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

How about an Axiomatic Heavy war horse or a Half Axiomatic Heavy Warhorse?

Yeah, that was actually my original thought, but then I was trying to think of a non-horse just to make it a little different than the norm.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  03:47:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What level is the paladin?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  13:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is a level Paladin 10 (Vigilant Eyes)/ Champion of Helm 5.

He is very high level, and as I mentioned before, he's an NPC so is really only there for story purposes. He is NOT somebody that will be adventuring with the PC's.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  22:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could always have him summon a Spectator

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  22:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure what a Spectator is to be honest...?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  22:49:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I'm not really sure what a Spectator is to be honest...?

LN Beholderkin

If you played Baldurs Gate 2 there was one guarding a chest in the Shaungin city

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  23:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

LN Beholderkin

If you played Baldurs Gate 2 there was one guarding a chest in the Shaungin city

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there were any Beholders (or kin) that were non-evil. I'll look into it, thanks.

Oh, and sadly I've never played one of the FR computer games. A guy that plays in my group lent me his copy of Baldur's Gate but I haven't got into it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  00:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

LN Beholderkin

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there were any Beholders (or kin) that were non-evil. I'll look into it, thanks.

Oh, and sadly I've never played one of the FR computer games. A guy that plays in my group lent me his copy of Baldur's Gate but I haven't got into it yet.

Spectators and examiners are LN
Watchers are TN

Now Im not sure if the PSectator has been converted to 3ed yet, it might be in Lords of Madness

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  06:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Spectators and examiners are LN
Watchers are TN

Now Im not sure if the PSectator has been converted to 3ed yet, it might be in Lords of Madness

Yes, and it was also in Magic of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  07:01:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this may be a few steps back in the discussion, but, how about an elk?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  07:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I know this may be a few steps back in the discussion, but, how about an elk?

Do we even have stats for those in 3e yet?

EDIT: Just found some in Silver Marches, and dire elk stats are in Masters of the Wild and the MMII.

What about an axiomatic or celestial legendary horse?

Hell, what about an axiomatic and celestial horse?

Edited by - Arivia on 25 Nov 2005 07:12:45
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  19:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know how educated the clergy are on the alignment of beholders. Its an idea that might backfire.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  20:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you look a little closer you can see Helm has ranks in Ride(Horse).

If Helm rides a horse I'd say it would be good enough for one of his followers :D
Perhaps have it shining white with a silver-blue tint (Helms colours). Also perhaps have the horse branded with the coloured blue eye of Helm (a brand too intricate to have been put there by normal methods)
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2005 :  20:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory

I dont know how educated the clergy are on the alignment of beholders. Its an idea that might backfire.

Spectators have special significance to the clergy of Helm-there's a very good relationship between them and the clergy. See Faiths and Avatars for more.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  01:27:23  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that the old 3.0 Sword and Fist supplement or it's divine spellcaster softcover equivalent had rules on special Paladin mounts, showing at what paladin level someone could, say, ride a griffon...

What's the 3.5 book containing these rules? I have a paladin in my campaign and the time will soon come for me to beef up on special mount crunch...
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  04:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

I remember that the old 3.0 Sword and Fist supplement or it's divine spellcaster softcover equivalent had rules on special Paladin mounts, showing at what paladin level someone could, say, ride a griffon...

What's the 3.5 book containing these rules? I have a paladin in my campaign and the time will soon come for me to beef up on special mount crunch...

There isn't one, as the paladin's mount ability underwent changes in 3.5.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  08:00:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

There isn't one, as the paladin's mount ability underwent changes in 3.5.

Hmm... so now we're back to thy old horses hey?
Go to Top of Page

Vendrin
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  08:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Vendrin's Homepage Send Vendrin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a thought... But would it not be a little arrogant and boastful for a paladin trying to "prove" his faith by summoning a mount, which in truth could probably be replicated by a unloyal paladin with the help of a wizard or a cleric of an evil god with the trickery domain?
In any case it just seems a bit something that a paladin wouldn't do. Perhaps he should slay an evil enemy of helm or make a vow to stand watch at a certain place without rest for a month or so.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  08:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm... so now we're back to thy old horses hey?

Mostly, yes(ignoring prestige classes and all that...)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2005 :  15:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vendrin

Just a thought... But would it not be a little arrogant and boastful for a paladin trying to "prove" his faith by summoning a mount, which in truth could probably be replicated by a unloyal paladin with the help of a wizard or a cleric of an evil god with the trickery domain?
In any case it just seems a bit something that a paladin wouldn't do. Perhaps he should slay an evil enemy of helm or make a vow to stand watch at a certain place without rest for a month or so.

This particular Paladin is a little arrogant. He is simply trying to show his followers that Helm still favors him and if Helm grants a mount than he is still in his god's graces.

The NPC in question is the epitome of good but a group of oppositionists have been launching a smear campaign on the Paladin and many of the "smallfolk" are losing faith in him. This move is to show the smallfolk that Helm still favors him. There is little fear of the smallfolk worrying about an evil wizard summoning a mount for him.
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  06:55:06  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Spectators have special significance to the clergy of Helm-there's a very good relationship between them and the clergy. See Faiths and Avatars for more.

You mean Faiths and Pantheons?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  07:07:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Arivia refers to the 2e deity book -- Faiths & Avatars. See here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9516.htm

Faiths & Pantheons is the 3e update for both F&A and the 2e Powers & Pantheons tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2005 :  11:27:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You mean Faiths and Pantheons?

To expand on the Sage's answer... Faiths & Pantheons is a pale imitation of the three 2E deity books: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. Those three books are essential resources for information on the deities of the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  10:39:48  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ahhh a 2e book. ugg I had hope that I scored a book with a messed up title.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000