Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  00:44:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looks like we've got a cover illo.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786940165

Can't wait for this one to hit the shelves.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Jul 2006 00:32:18

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  00:55:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! Very nice . Looks like I've got a new desktop background image hehe... .

And it is so satisfying to see Steven's name again on another FR product.

I'm with Krash... I can't wait for Blackstaff to hit our shores.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Nov 2005 00:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  03:39:21  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh...I wish it showed more of Khelben's face--a frontal view would have been much more intense and striking.

But nevertheless, I care more about content than the cover, and like many others here I cannot wait for this book. I like the Blackstaff and it's long past time he got his own novel.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  09:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, a splendid looking tome. I'm sure the content will just just a wonderful

In addition, the cover for Bloodwalk is also available.

(Both these covers will be included in the upcoming site update)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  14:03:04  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...Bloodwalk and Blackstaff are both released in July 2006? Is that right?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Well met

I would very much doubt it. I believe Bloodwalk was originally listed for November 2006.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:37:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Eh...I wish it showed more of Khelben's face--a frontal view would have been much more intense and striking.

But nevertheless, I care more about content than the cover, and like many others here I cannot wait for this book. I like the Blackstaff and it's long past time he got his own novel.

I agree on all counts, though it does what a cover is supposed to do--draw you in and leave you wanting more (which is why you'd pick up the book).

The cover was designed and set by WotC, not me, which is fine. If it had been up to me, I'd have suggested a very tight focus shot of just Khelben's face--half of it in extreme closeup to show every ragged scar, worry line, wrinkle, and wound on his face, a very detailed look into at least one eye, and frame the shot on one side with a blackstaff crackling with power to light the scene. Probably too artistic, I know, but if I ever hit it big, I'll be trying to pay Todd Lockwood to paint that for my personal collection.

As for content, I just pray I can live up to peoples' expectations here. Those who've read it are happy with it; I'm still too close to it and want to take it back to fidget with a few chapters. I'm told this is normal behavior for new authors and they should get their noses swatted for this, and believe me, I have.

Will this book answer all your questions on Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun? Nope, though it answers many and opens up a few new ones.

Will this answer everything you wanted to know about the blackstaff (or blackstaves)? Nope. Just adds more mysteries while closing a few older doors.

Will this reveal all the secrets of Blackstaff Tower? I'm not even sure Laeral knows all the secrets to the tower, so it's unlikely to do so. Besides, the book's about people, not stones.

And I've probably said too much, but that's what happens when the caffeine surge hits while making a short response.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:40:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I have now included both Blackstaff and Bloodwalk cover art on the relevant product pages here at Candlekeep, as part of todays site update

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Well met

I would very much doubt it. I believe Bloodwalk was originally listed for November 2006.

I thought that too. I think Randomhouse made a mistake.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  16:53:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Will this book answer all your questions on Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun? Nope, though it answers many and opens up a few new ones.

Will this answer everything you wanted to know about the blackstaff (or blackstaves)? Nope. Just adds more mysteries while closing a few older doors.

Will this reveal all the secrets of Blackstaff Tower? I'm not even sure Laeral knows all the secrets to the tower, so it's unlikely to do so. Besides, the book's about people, not stones.
Actually Steven, I wouldn't have it any other way.

For me, part of Khelben's charm as a character in the Realms is that he, and those closest to him -- by extention Laeral, the Moonstars etc. -- are still largely unknown elements in FR. The unfolding mystery that surrounds them, especially Khelben, is what is important for me when I read about them/him.

I'm glad your book keeps to that trend. I'm already putting my gold pieces aside in anticipation for it .

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  18:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree on all counts, though it does what a cover is supposed to do--draw you in and leave you wanting more (which is why you'd pick up the book).

The cover was designed and set by WotC, not me, which is fine. If it had been up to me, I'd have suggested a very tight focus shot of just Khelben's face--half of it in extreme closeup to show every ragged scar, worry line, wrinkle, and wound on his face, a very detailed look into at least one eye, and frame the shot on one side with a blackstaff crackling with power to light the scene. Probably too artistic, I know, but if I ever hit it big, I'll be trying to pay Todd Lockwood to paint that for my personal collection.

Too artistic? Nah, that's exactly what I would have liked. When I see a picture of Khelben, I want to be stared down by his intense, time-worn face. That's why I love that Fireplace level picture in the Waterdeep Sourcebook more than I like the one in the FRCS (the cover of Realms of Magic is great, too!).

quote:
As for content, I just pray I can live up to peoples' expectations here. Those who've read it are happy with it; I'm still too close to it and want to take it back to fidget with a few chapters. I'm told this is normal behavior for new authors and they should get their noses swatted for this, and believe me, I have.

I'm with the Sage--I'm happy that you are going to keep a large part of Khelben a mystery. What I am most looking forward to is seeing how he interacts with people (that's one of the most important things about any character).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  17:58:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we now have a sample chapter of Blackstaff.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  19:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading the sample chapter I can wait no longer!!!!!! Blackstaff is going to be the book to own by any one who values a great story about one cool dude. Go Khelben! Huzzah!!!!! Steve I can't wait to read this book in its entirety.

Special thanks to Wooly for updating every one.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:25:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't know about anyone else... but I know I'm not going to read the sample chapter.

I'm just too excited about Steven's work to want to ruin even a small part of reading the book before it's released.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:27:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I don't know about anyone else... but I know I'm not going to read the sample chapter.

I'm just too excited about Steven's work to want to ruin even a small part of reading the book before it's released.

Funny you should say that, I started to open the zip file and then went, "Nah, I can wait till July!"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:35:59  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's seems to be a prologue and doesn't give you any information on the actual story. It's an event in Khelben's life when he was nameless.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:52:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got done reading it... It's one of few times, if not the only time, that I've read the sample chapter of a novel before it was released. And damn, does it make me more stoked about reading the novel!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Jun 2006 01:55:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  01:54:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Swordsage

It's seems to be a prologue and doesn't give you any information on the actual story. It's an event in Khelben's life when he was nameless.

The Swordsage

But it is a major event...

Considering that the only local bookstore is a B&N, and they never get stuff in as quickly as everyone else, I may have to order this one thru Amazon...

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  19:22:23  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with ya on that Wooly!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2006 :  22:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh, c'mon Sage.... you know you want to....

Seriously--I'm very glad they used the prologue as it sets the tone for the novel and is a seminal event in the life of he who is called Khelben the Blackstaff. That said, it doesn't spoil anything about the rest of the book...just gives you a taste of what's to come and the sorts of things he's been up to but never mentioned.....

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  00:54:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, c'mon Sage.... you know you want to....
That's just it... I do want... very, very much!

And I nearly downloaded it last night. Nearly. But I want Blackstaff to be enjoyed in its entirety... and that means waiting until July.

quote:
Seriously--I'm very glad they used the prologue as it sets the tone for the novel and is a seminal event in the life of he who is called Khelben the Blackstaff. That said, it doesn't spoil anything about the rest of the book...just gives you a taste of what's to come and the sorts of things he's been up to but never mentioned.....
You're really not making my decision any easier for me, you know?

Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  02:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, the prologue has a wicked hook, not what I expected right off the bat at all. Khelban is such a powerful, important, and interesting character for Faerun. I am glad he is getting his own book, with more to come, hopefully, if this is the sort of storytelling we can expect.

quote:
If it had been up to me, I'd have suggested a very tight focus shot of just Khelben's face--half of it in extreme closeup to show every ragged scar, worry line, wrinkle, and wound on his face, a very detailed look into at least one eye, and frame the shot on one side with a blackstaff crackling with power to light the scene. Probably too artistic, I know, but if I ever hit it big, I'll be trying to pay Todd Lockwood to paint that for my personal collection.

If you do, which I hope you will, and you keep the original for yourself, could you maybe, perhaps have Todd Lockwood offer prints of that piece for us poor peasants.

Edited by - Archwizard on 06 Jun 2006 02:40:28
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2006 :  07:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Well with all this excited talk, I certainly hope to see a lot of ye in the Blackstaff Book Club in a month or so

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  01:35:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, dearest Alaundo, you will . . . you will.
Ed assures me this book is going to rock Realms fans, in more ways than one.
I do believe our diligent scribes will have LOTS to say about it.
(No one say warning wasn't given, all right?)
Heh-heh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  03:49:24  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be there. I have been waiting for this one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  04:06:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh-heh.
love,
THO

Oh, my Lady... you DO know where to tickle my intellectual fancies, indeed .

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2006 :  07:58:15  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originaly posted by The Hooded One

Heh-heh.
love,

Ok now I'm starting to get a little scared as well as exited. Then again, I've waited for years to see more of Stevens realmslore, so this book is definitely at the top of my list for this years publications.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2006 :  02:09:35  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still looking forward to this one greatly.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  04:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, this book is on my must-read list.

I love the Blackstaff, and find him rather sexy.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  10:29:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I have researched "Blackstaff" (realease in a few days. Countdown is ticking...) is the first book in a 4-book-series titled "the wizards" (as WotC did a series about fighters, priests, rouges, cities, lost empires). All not connected stories about diffent wizard in the realms, I guess.

other books:

Bloodwalk by James Davis (release july 2006)
Why do they publish two books of one series in the same month, I wonder?
(sample chapter here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/955467400)
Darkvision by Bruce Cordell (release sept. 2006)
Frostfell by Mark Sehestedt (release dec. 2006)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  13:12:44  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah...we've pretty much known that for about six months or so now.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000