Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 History of Candlekeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  21:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. I'm writing a paper on this site as part of a class in library school, and I wanted to enlist your aid. I need to discover how other people feel about this site. I would be exceedingly grateful if as many people as possible answered three simple questions.

When did you first find Candlekeep, and how?
How do you use Candlekeep?
How is Candlekeep different from other, similar sites? (Yes, rants against the Boards That Shall Not Be Named are allowed)

I may be popping up again over the next month with another few questions as my research progresses, but these are the most critical.

Many thanks from an over-worked grad student.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  22:25:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always came here because of the Mailing List FAQ but I never really read any of the message boards. :)

It was only after awhile that I signed up for the boards, and it was mostly during the fall out of the WOTC no novel discussion.

Now how do I use it? I mostly use it to discuss with the game designers/authors and Alaundo is my slave driver. But I also, sometimes, grab lore from the material others have created or material that is stored on the site.

How is it different? The message board seem more laid back and I come here to get away from the madness on those other boards. :) Most of the posters on these boards also seem.... more knowledge about FR and intelligent towards FR. There's usually less arguements as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  22:52:12  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first visit to Candlekeep... somewhere in the mists of time... I cannot recall exactly when, but it must have been before the forum was up and running and the haunting tune on the site was still fresh. I joined the forum back in 2002... my ID number list 84 guess that's Alaundo's employee - or as Kuje puts it , slave - numbering system.

I use the board to expand my knowledge of the Realms, share my knowledge with others in similar pursuits and enjoy the interaction with my fellow scribes and the authors / designers. Writing for the Candlekeep Compendium is another element of site 'usage'.

I cannot really comment on other boards - regardless if these should remain nameless or not. Candlekeep had a period of less pleasant postings, but these have been already shelved to the dust-collecting corners of the keep. People here tend to be civil and seem to have the Realms first and foremost in mind when posting on this forum, I guess that is what I like on the site and what keeps me coming back to check. The forums have an amount of off-topic, empty or me-too style posts, but some of that - as long as it does not get excessive - is needed and gives Candlekeep its laid-back atmosphere (despite Alaundo's whip cracking).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  23:16:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I first discovered the main part of the site while googling for some particular bit of Realmslore. I poked around a bit, but didn't check out the forums.

Some time later, I was unemployed and bored. I hit the Boards That Shall Not Be Named. While I did enjoy conversing about the Realms, there was a lot of non-useful posts (like the guy who started no less than four threads devoted to the premise "Orcus rules!"). And boy, did I get into some arguments over there... While there was plenty of intelligent, reasonable posters, there was many more who didn't seem to fit that category. One particular discussion ("Let's make a Drizzt movie! It'll be awesome!") happened so many times that I compiled all of my replies, made an essay out of them, and kept it handy for ready posting.

I found a new job. By this time, I'd been on those forums for several months. I was getting tired of trying to stay on top of all of the chatter, and searching thru it for the one or two intelligent discussions. I was getting tired of munchkins and powergamers. And I was getting really tired of what was, in my opinion, heavy-handed and arbitrary moderation.

I'd noticed several posters that always offered good information or advice. One was a gent named Kuje31. This guy was also getting answers from Ed Greenwood, and posting them on this other forum for people to read. After PM'ing Kuje31, I came over to these forums. I signed up, glanced around, and that was it.

And then came my wrongful banning from those other forums. Thru no fault of my own, I was cut off and denied the ability to chat about the Realms. So I came over here. The rest, as they say, is history.

I use Candlekeep as a way to chat about the Realms, to learn about the Realms, and to help others explore this setting. I know a decent amount of the lore, and I've got a lot of the material. If it helps someone else out, I'm happy to share what I know with others, and/or provide ideas and advice.

As far as Realms forums go, this is one of two that I've participated in. I find that this site's smaller population is more managable, and is less likely to include power-gamers, munchkins, or trolls. A lot of people seem to be here out of a common love for the setting. They appreciate the Realms, and want to share their passion for the setting with others. I like being able to chat with people who know and love the setting.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  23:21:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

(Yes, rants against the Boards That Shall Not Be Named are allowed)

Just as a general precaution, and not aimed at anyone in particular: Yes, comments about those forums are appropriate to this topic. And while I have as much of a beef against that site as anyone, I'd prefer not to see this scroll devolve into a "I hate those forums!" discussion. Praise or condemn that site as you will, but keep it civil and clean. And if you wish to comment on particular individuals on those forums, leaving names out of it might be advisable.

Now, back to the discussion.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2005 :  23:34:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We all know I corrupted Wooly. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  01:17:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

I joined the forum back in 2002... my ID number list 84 guess that's Alaundo's employee - or as Kuje puts it , slave - numbering system.
I guess that makes me Prisoner #74 then .

To put it simply, I came to Candlekeep for one reason: Realmslore. With the advent of 3e and the rise of rules-related discussions on a number of message boards dedicated to discussing the Realms, I was growing weary of posters who seemed more interested in what they could do with the mechanics presented in the (then) released sourcebooks (this was in early-to-mid 2002). Frustrated by what I saw as a lack of proper attention to talking about what other aspects made the Realms such a magical place -- it's history and it's lore -- I quickly cut my ties with such boards (I remained with WotC, mainly because of the quality discussions going on in the DRAGONLANCE section to which I felt I could contribute) and started the search for a new forum.

By this time, Alaundo had been putting together one of the earliest version of the Candlekeep website with its associated message boards. Curious by the amount of fan-based lore already present on the site, I wandered around the halls looking for further part of this site that intrigued me. I then ventured onto the forums... where I found all manner of discussions and debates about... that's right, you guessed it.. the Realmslore. At that time, there were hardly any rules-based scrolls, and any rules discussions where still largely based in the 2e AD&D format... something I felt comfortable with.

Impressed with what I had read here and in the forums, and witnessing the helpful and friendly replies from a certain bearded head moderator, I immediately felt that I had finally found the place on the web I was looking for which shared the same amount of passion I felt for Ed's grand creation. I signed up (and trying slightly to avoid the fact that my first ever discussion here at Candlekeep was based on "Drizzt") and set into helping my fellow scribes learn more about the Realms, but also in turn, helping me to new levels of appreciation for a shared world through a shared online community.

I love Candlekeep, and I've always enjoyed the community we've built here. Some great posters have come (and gone), and come back again... but the Realmslore and Candlekeep remain. And it's where I'll remain. To me, there's no other place like it on the web.

Congrats to you Big Al . You've given me one of my four greatest loves in this life...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  01:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Actually, you corrupted me as well, though I came over slightly before the Ask Ed Greenwood thread started. I'd vaguely heard about the site before, and then you mentioned it a few times over at WotC, and that's when I decided to check it out. I wonder how many others you've brought over?

And yes, friendly rants only. Unfriendly rants give me no data that can be used in polite papers.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  01:56:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, you corrupted me as well, though I came over slightly before the Ask Ed Greenwood thread started. I'd vaguely heard about the site before, and then you mentioned it a few times over at WotC, and that's when I decided to check it out. I wonder how many others you've brought over?

Muh haha. :) And you know, I, to, was wondering how many others came here because of my mentions. :)

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  02:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you can add one more to that list, Kuje.
When I was attempting to get Tifvus' campaign figured out on the WotC boards, Kuje, Sage, and Warlockco were nice enough to help me out, and then sent me here for more information. Once here, I was welcomed, and my questions have been answered with thought and love of the Realms.
Here, you can sit back and relax, read what you want, tease a few of the other scribes, without someone else coming in a slamming you for it. With the small size of the community, comes a feeling of community(redundant I know), one feels like they can actually get to know the other posters.
I use Candlekeep to help me learn the lore of the Realms, as I've only actually known of them for about a year and a half. Here I know that if I ask for what source I can find something in, I will get a list that has the Scribes' favorite information in it.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  03:27:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Well, you can add one more to that list, Kuje.
When I was attempting to get Tifvus' campaign figured out on the WotC boards, Kuje, Sage, and Warlockco were nice enough to help me out, and then sent me here for more information.
Glad to be of service .

It's not like I actively try to bring over posters from WotC, but I've regularly found that users here at Candlekeep are more oriented towards lore-based questions than they are at WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  04:06:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this place on Eric Boyd's and Ed Greenwood's recommends.

I joined because I wanted to get back into the Realms after being out of it for a few years (and I'd then just signed a novel contract, the culmination of which occurs in nigh-eight months...).

I stayed because this is a great forum, a good bunch of folks to chat with, and it feels very much like the best of the Realms--friendly, full of life, and everything has a story.

Steven Schend
Who's been a loyal Realms fan since 1987 (with a brief hiatus from official lore for personal reasons from 2000 to 2003)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  04:19:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I found this place on Eric Boyd's and Ed Greenwood's recommends.

I joined because I wanted to get back into the Realms after being out of it for a few years...
And we're all very glad to have you back Steven .

quote:
...(and I'd then just signed a novel contract, the culmination of which occurs in nigh-eight months...)
I think I speak for many Sage Schend fans here when I say... "Not soon enough!"

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  05:57:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got interested in the Realms when I was to make a character for a NWN-server set in the Forgotten Realms and came across the WoTC-site. On that board, I noticed someone posting answers to questions, from what I understood to be the creator of the setting, taken from another board (yes, I mean you Kuje) - and since I didn't particularly enjoy the tone of many of the scribes over at the Boards I never signed up for officially - I decided to give it a look-see. And what can I say, I'm still here.

I use Candlekeep as a source for Realmslore, and, I'm a tad ashamed to admit, a way to rid fill my need of spouting bad puns and one-liners from time to time.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  09:28:43  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love Candlekeep because the people are great, informed, thoughtful, and fun to talk/correspond with.

And it is fantastic to be able to read the thoughts and talk with the great Realms authors and designers such as Ed Greenwood, Eric Boyd, Elaine Cunningham, Steven Schend, Wil Upchurch, Lisa Smedman, Paul Kemp, Richard Baker and many, many talented others.

Members seem more in touch with the lore of the Realms here. If you have a particular question or interest in a very specific, tiny facet of the Realms, you can come here to discuss it and have a conversation with many voices who have a lot to share on any given topic. Even if, or especially if that topic is particularly arcane or esoteric.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  10:51:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Well I don't think my answers to these questions would be of any value Nevertheless, it is interesting to read the responses of others.

Oh the memories. 'tis very warming to read some of these comments and indeed it has been a long journey, (which is far from over).

One thing I will say, is that, I have learnt an amazing amount of Realmslore from many scribes herein, and met (albeit, virutally), some very good and valued friends.

The hard work and dedication of so many of ye constantly astounds me on a daily basis. This, I appreciate and value more than I could ever express.

I can only thank ye all from the bottom of my heart for making Candlekeep what it is today

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  14:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Well I don't think my answers to these questions would be of any value

Actually, I was hoping to be able to more-formally interview (by which I mean send you some more questions via email) you about the real-early days of Candlekeep, and the intensions around its founding. To me, your answers are of critical importance.

And many thanks to all who have responded.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 12 Nov 2005 14:28:45
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  14:46:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would have to start off by thanking Aluando of the Big Stick for playing ringmaster to all of us . . .

It seems to be a recurring theme, but I think the first reference I saw to Candlekeep was in a thread on the WOTC boards that Kuje was involved in. I can't remember the topic, but I do remember the trend, which was, one or two sane people post, then a bunch of nonsense, then someone intentionally trying to provoke a fight chimes in, and it all spirals out of control. So when I saw the reference to Candlekeep in Kuje's post, I checked it out. That was just earlier this year. I had been away from the Realms for a while, and while I had started reading the novels, and trying to get a group together to play again, I wanted to see what I had missed.

This place can be used to excellent effect to play "catch up" since any number of our fellow scribes will actually point you in the right direction and either let you know what has happened or tell you how to find out. Another thing that got me here was novel discussions. I had long thought of sourcebooks as what you read between novels when collecting your Realmslore, and yet WOTC suddenly had no place to discuss these.

As far as how Candlekeep differs . . . WOTC brings a lot of people, from a lot of backgrounds, and occaisionally some are fine (I found one of my players on WOTCs site), but there is a lot of inane and useless stuff going on (i.e. if a topic doesn't interest you, YOU DON'T HAVE TO POST just to see your name pop up!). I will also attest to Wooly's coment about arbitrary moderation . . . fairly recently on the Star Wars RPG forums, one of the most level headed discussions was going on about the future of the line. One or two people got out of line. Did the Mods reprimand those people? Nope. They shut down the thread and made a global pronouncement that no where in the Star Wars RPG area could you mention the topic of the future of the Star Wars line.

Paizo's sites have been far less silly and pointless, and the people there are more or less pretty mature, but there is also a sort of elitism that goes on there, of the sort I like to refer to as "Geek Superiority." "Yes my hobby is labled as geeky, but I have a homebrew world, or I like Greyhawk, therefore I am far less geeky than you silly Forgotten Realms fans."

While having intelligent discussions about how to set up Cauldron from the Shackled City in Chult and where it should go, the racial makeup of the area and the like, or discusing using Westgate for the Age of Worms path, or any number of pretty in depth, well thought out discussions on the setting itself, you get someone that chimes in asking derisively if we know Drizzt's cousins name or some such snarky comment.

The official DragonLance forums, dispite having that whole "official" title is probably the best site about D&D, for me, after Candlekeep, but then I can't talk about the Realms there . . .
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  15:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Well I don't think my answers to these questions would be of any value

Actually, I was hoping to be able to more-formally interview (by which I mean send you some more questions via email) you about the real-early days of Candlekeep, and the intensions around its founding. To me, your answers are of critical importance.

And many thanks to all who have responded.

Well met

Certainly, Hoondatha. I'll gladly help where I can.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  15:27:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I will also attest to Wooly's coment about arbitrary moderation . . . fairly recently on the Star Wars RPG forums, one of the most level headed discussions was going on about the future of the line. One or two people got out of line. Did the Mods reprimand those people? Nope. They shut down the thread and made a global pronouncement that no where in the Star Wars RPG area could you mention the topic of the future of the Star Wars line.
Indeed, I was part of that discussion. What still amazes me about it is, while it gave both new and old visitors alike a chance to converse about the future of the RPG (at the same time keeping the fans informed with the latest details released from WotC)... I still don't completely understand why it was closed, especially after what happened after the thread was locked. Closing it down was, in my opinion, a seriously bad move, because now every two or three days we have threads popping up from new players asking why WotC is no longer supporting the RPG. And then the mods become more irritated when these threads keep continually appearing and they have to constantly repeat the long details about the current state of the SW RPG...

It would have been more appropriate and more sensible to keep the discussion open and active -- the problem replies could easily have been removed.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Nov 2005 15:30:01
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  16:49:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grin,

Some of these replies make laugh and smile.

Go to Top of Page

Microchips
Acolyte

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  21:26:27  Show Profile Send Microchips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if i remember i was doing a search for "Encyclopedia of Faerun" on google and the review of one that never happened came up on the original site, and then i noticed it had a forum so i thought it sounded good, turned out to be even better and iv learnt a load of new stuff off all the posts here

as for other forums iv never bothered as the only one iv heard of is WOTC and it gets less than complimentary reviews, to say the least!!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  01:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Grin,

Hehe... I'm being polite by not also mentioning the chaos I've had to endure on the DLBoards at WotC .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  01:58:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Grin,

Hehe... I'm being polite by not also mentioning the chaos I've had to endure on the DLBoards at WotC .

That wasn't why I was smiling. :) I was because of all of the replies of "Kuje brought me here." :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  02:35:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I thought you were talking about... Nevermind . I think you know what I was actually referring to .

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2005 :  23:14:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall what got me here. But I liked it and I stayed. It's nigh addictive now.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  21:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that while posting on WotC's forum I noticed that a very helpful poster that helped educate many of the "interesting" posters on WotC's FR forum decided to leave. This got me to thinking. How the heck was I going to get good FR lore if all the knowledgeable people left the WotC forum? Well, after about a month of considering my options I found out that Candlekeep was full of information. You just have to know how to find what you want. So I explored and found the forum on Candlekeep. I looked at the stuff being talked about and immediately signed up when I realized that Kuje and Sage were registered to the forum. And with each time I post I find new people that I am thankful for their sharing of lore, experiences in gaming, and a joke or two here and there. Thank all of you for making Candlekeep rock!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2006 :  22:02:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I have to admit that while posting on WotC's forum I noticed that a very helpful poster that helped educate many of the "interesting" posters on WotC's FR forum decided to leave. This got me to thinking. How the heck was I going to get good FR lore if all the knowledgeable people left the WotC forum? Well, after about a month of considering my options I found out that Candlekeep was full of information. You just have to know how to find what you want. So I explored and found the forum on Candlekeep. I looked at the stuff being talked about and immediately signed up when I realized that Kuje and Sage were registered to the forum. And with each time I post I find new people that I am thankful for their sharing of lore, experiences in gaming, and a joke or two here and there. Thank all of you for making Candlekeep rock!

Was that me that is in reference to your 1st sentence? :) And I'm glad to help and I try to do so whenever I can, even if some replies turn into arguements...

Edited by - Kuje on 20 May 2006 22:03:23
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  00:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Although I do remember Sage said some very touching words when you announced that you would no longer be posting to WotC forums. He pretty much told every one that their child-like behavoir, or something to that extent, frustrated you to no end and so you left. It was a long time ago and I do no justice to the wonderful wording Sage used.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  02:05:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was a frustrating development.

And it's a decision I'm getting ever closing to making as well. Recent arguments, again, about what truly constituted Ed's original Realms and the status of the "add-on" areas have been rather tiresome -- even in spite of the fact that Ed only recently discussed this in-depth back in April of this year.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 May 2006 02:06:07
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  02:14:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I may have checked WOTC's boards twice in the last month, and ended up talking to one of my fellow scribes there . . . the boards I am about ready to give up on are Paizo's, since its becoming more and more difficult to have a Forgotten Realms discussion without Greyhawk . . . ahem . . . fanatics deciding to chime in with how everything in Forgotten Realms was stolen from Greyhawk.

The most frustrating of these assertions was the one that I mentioned in the "Slaves Lords" thread here at the keep, that Ed's Cult of the Dragon was somehow taken from the Slavers series of modules and transported to the Realms.

Then again, I've been a lot more touchy lately myself. I blame my ex-wife
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000