Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Custom Spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  21:13:32  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anybody out there have any really interesting spells they have developed? I think that crafting unique spells is the main reason Wizards are the most interesting class to play.

**FYI I put this topic here in "Running the Realms" because spell research is a collaborative effort between DM and player, and most players that I have met who actually do spell research for their characters are also DM's in other campaigns. So no yelling at me!

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 11 Feb 2003 21:42:42

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  07:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players still being low-level, I have not delved deeply into this subject, but am I incorrect in saying that priests can create new spells as well? I have a vague memory of seeing that somewhere.

I actually had in mind that I wanted to create my own unique qizard spells for my current campaign (it seems illogical that only PCs and not NPCs research new spells) but since none of my players are a wizard, I decided not to. Which is a shame as I had a lot of good ideas.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  08:58:30  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, cleric can create their own spells
And NPC created spell: Aganazar, Bigby, Tenser, Elminster and a lot more
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  09:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

Yes, cleric can create their own spells

Thanks for clarifying that.

quote:
And NPC created spell: Aganazar, Bigby, Tenser, Elminster and a lot more.

I was referring to NPCs from my campaign, NPCs of my own making.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2003 :  15:39:39  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Clerics CAN and sometimes DO create unique and custom spells.

However in every campaign that I have ever seen and heard of it is more common for Wizards to do so. The primary focus for Wizards is magic as an end unto itself, whereas the primary focus for Clerics is serving their deity. Only in the case of Mystra's or Azuth's Clerics (who are also usually Wizards)is this discernibly different.

I was looking for some examples. I will start by posting one of Nighteyes' spells. It is unusual in a few respects, but my co-DM and I tried to make sure they weren't too horribly unbalancing. This is probably one of the two "big guns" that he has written, and is meant specifically for a Bladesinger.

Song of Rage Level 6
(Alteration)
Range: 0
Components: V
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

When the caster finishes the first verse of this song he goes into a magically enhanced berserker state. He
becomes immune to pain and no longer notices any wounds. He receives a bonus to hit equal to ¼ his
Bladesinger level and a bonus to damage equal to his Bladesinger level. The caster also receives a number of
extra melee attacks per round equal to 1/5 his Bladesinger level rounded down. The caster may not take any
complex actions while singing this song and must continue fighting until all enemies are dead or the spell ends.
The caster must make a successful Singing proficiency check every round to continue the affect and after a
number of rounds equal to his Bladesinger level he must also make Constitution checks each round. Note that
the caster may not choose to stop singing until all enemies are dead.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Jerock
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2003 :  03:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Jerock's Homepage Send Jerock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Artalis
As a player of a wild mage and a long time DM I have reserched and scribed many a new spell.One of which I well share with ye seeing as you to embrace the art...

( Jerocks Spell Door)
Wild Magic
Level:7
Range:10ft radius
Components:V,S,M
Casting Time:4
Duration:3rds+1rd/lv
Area of Effect:Special
Saving Throw:None

By means of this spell a doorway of shifting hues of colors forms on the ground at the location chosen by the caster.The doorway Functions as a two way translocation spell with the destination end visualized by the caster.Distance is not a factor tho interplaner travel is not possible.As with the teleport spell accuracy depends on casters familiarity with the destination(use teleport chart).

The caster then only need to hop thru the doorway to reach the destination travel is instantaneous.The caster can move freely back and forth fore the duration of the spell.Only the caster may travel thru the doorway.

Use it well...

Jerock(Wildmage of Golden Rock)
Go to Top of Page

Creataceous
Acolyte

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  11:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Creataceous's Homepage Send Creataceous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all, there is a new Creature within the Keep.

...and spell creation just became that much more interesting with the re-introduction of epic level magic (post ninth level magic) and magic seeds. Previously this would have been Arcane Age magic and elven High Magic.

Additionally I have a question about the Shapechange spell as my opinion is being contended at the moment, is this the most appropriate group to air a request for advice on this matter?

Creature
--------
Age does not always progenate experience, which does not always birth wisdom.
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  13:19:39  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Creataceous

Greetings all, there is a new Creature within the Keep.

...and spell creation just became that much more interesting with the re-introduction of epic level magic (post ninth level magic) and magic seeds. Previously this would have been Arcane Age magic and elven High Magic.

Additionally I have a question about the Shapechange spell as my opinion is being contended at the moment, is this the most appropriate group to air a request for advice on this matter?

I would recommend 2 new topics that you should post

1 In Welcome to the Candlekeep Introduce yourself so that we may welcome you properly. (Like I should talk....)
2 Create a new topic under General FR Chat or Running the Realms (if you're the DM) with a detailed description of your question.

And now back on topic (wouldn't want to be accused of derailing my own thread now would I?

Doesn't anybody write spells? (Thanks Jerock!)

I will post another one of Nighteyes' custom spells because I have a feeling that few have actually read his character sheet over in the Hall of Heroes so I can probably do it without boring you all to tears.

Song of the Healing Wind
Level: 5
(Necromancy)
Range: Special
Components: V
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: Caster
Saving Throw: None

When the caster finishes the first verse of this song his blade/s are enveloped in a blue-white glow connecting them to the Negative Material Plane. In all rounds where the caster deals damage with the blades a number of his allies who are not at their original full hp total are healed for 1d8 points per successful attack of the caster. For example; The caster has three attacks during the round he is singing this song, if 2 attacks hit and score damage then 2 of his allies recover 1d8 hp that round. The most seriously damaged are always healed first and they may only be healed to their max natural hp total. Note that this spell does not heal the caster. The caster must make a successful Singing proficiency check every round to continue the affect and after a number of rounds equal to his Bladesinger level he must also make Constitution checks each round.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 15 Feb 2003 13:20:38
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  20:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keeping in time with my usual complaints of how bards are presented I REALLY think that the piddly Bardic Music ability needs a revamp (the strongest of the songs gives you a few pluses here and there...whoopie). I always thought that a few spells which get more and more complex but are presented as abilities which can be used per day would be great. In this vein I suggest that as the bard gains levels he should be allowed to choose what new "song" he writes that produces the spell, with the DM's discretion of course...Mass Charm, etc.

Now, back on topic....

Ever notice how NPCs ALWAYS know the PCs name? "Ah yes indeed, I know who you are....MUMADAR IBN HUZAL!!!! Hahahaha..." Why then is there no Name Knowledge spell... ? Here's my idea:

The first spell is just called Name Knowledge, and will reveal the name of the target as far as the target's name is known to people within say twenty miles.....so if everyone in Calimport knows a PC only as "the Raven" then that is the name revealed...

Greater Name Knowledge gives the ACTUAL name of the target, regardless of their attempts to cover it up with aliases...

Wizard Name Knowledge - this spell will actually reveal the wizard name of a target character...it would require a great amount of time (3 days or something), perhaps a mental battle with the target and a sacrifice of XP...

What's great here is the idea that not only can knowing someone's name from seemingly nowhere be intimidating, but if it is cast on an orc and that orc's name is revealed to be Elminster, this could all but dispell the illusion....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Creataceous
Acolyte

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  20:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Creataceous's Homepage Send Creataceous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spell that reveals someone's true name would have to be very high level, a lower level version would reveal someone's use name (such as Elminster).

I have a high(ish) level mage who scrupulously adhered to different use names in different geographical regions (almost to the point of developing different personas) and did not choose a mage sigil to increase the difficulty of divination magic used against him.

What an infiltrator had been in disguise for a couple of years, would that foil the spell?

I usually found that if the current plot nemesis sent a few minions down to the local watering hole and liberally spread around the gold he could find out a lot about any characters in the region.

Creature
--------
Go to Top of Page

Creataceous
Acolyte

New Zealand
14 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Visit Creataceous's Homepage Send Creataceous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen a hive mind spell descriptor? I think that could be put to some really interesting applications... think of the devastating co-ordination that could be achieved by war mages.

Could possibly also be a vunerability in a campaign that included psionics.

Creature
--------
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  10:13:35  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Now, back on topic....

Ever notice how NPCs ALWAYS know the PCs name? "Ah yes indeed, I know who you are....MUMADAR IBN HUZAL!!!! Hahahaha..." Why then is there no Name Knowledge spell... ? Here's my idea:

Hmmm....

Name Knowledge spell... as far as it goes to 'detect' the given name of the target, it might make sense, however to reveal a true-name, it would indeed have to be a VERY powerfull spell. Otherwse defeating devils and demons would become child's play...

Though for a regular name, a variant of true seeing or detect lie could do the trick...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  18:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm...I know, folks...

That's why I said that the spells would require a great amount of time to perform and great personal sacrifice...

Let's say that a demon named Aasiphar is known on the Realms to some as Rahpisaa and is running around using the alias Blackheart.

The first Name Knowledge spell would identify him as Blackheart, the second, Greater Name Knowledge, as Rahpisaa and Wizard Name Knowledge might reveal him as Aasiphar.

I would assume Name Knowledge to be a fifth level spell, Greater a Seventh and Wizard a ninth.....all of which have saving throws based on Will....and with Wizard Name Knowledge causing a great loss of experience points....

Hope that's clearer....

Anybody agree with me on the bard issue?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2003 :  06:13:37  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totally aggree Artalais. Creating new spells is one of the things I enjoy most about playing a mage class.

I've got more than a few that I've come up with. I don't know if you'd call them really interesting, but they are pretty damn useful, at least for my 14/14 F/M.
Here are a few:

Elemental Servant
(Conjuration/Summoning)
Level: 4th Range: 5’/level Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1 minute/level Casting Time: 4 Area of Effect: 1 elemental
Saving Throw: N/A

Effects: Creates a ‘servant’ (a 1’-4’ spherical manifestation) from a nearby source of the desired element (earth, air, fire, water). Elemental created is from 1-4 HD, depending on the size of the elemental source. (DM’s discretion) The following are examples:

Fire – candle, torch, campfire, bonfire Earth – dirt, stone, etc
Water – pitcher/jug, barrel, fountain, pond Air – wind? calm to blustery?

Elemental Servant
AC Movement Hit Dice Thac0 # of Attacks Damage Size
2 100’ 1 – 4 - 1 Varies 1’radius/HD

Combat - The servant attacks it’s victims by ‘engulfing’ them. Each will do a ‘Ball’ attack with the appropriate damage, and a radius equal to the servant’s size.
Fire – As fireball spell doing 1d4/2 levels of master.
Earth – As fireball, only with ‘impact’ damage.
Air – As fireball, only with electrical damage.
Water – As fireball, only with suffocation damage.

Servants are extensions of their master’s (caster’s) mind. They follow him wherever he goes, (range of 5’ x master’s level), flying above and behind him unless ordered otherwise. They cannot speak or reason, but are capable of obeying simple commands (“Attack that ferret!”) They can also perform menial chores. With specific orders, they can retrieve objects at distances up to 100’ x their master’s level. They cannot manipulate items in any sort of way besides carrying them (up to 5 lbs/master’s level) and will drop them only by specific command.

Servants can take from 2 rounds, to plus their HD in rounds to completely form. Roll randomly to see how long it takes.

Combat I (Alteration)
Level: 1st Range: Self Components: V,S,M
Duration: 1round/lvl Casting Time: 1 Area of Effect: Caster

Effects: Spell gives caster a bonus of +1 to hit rolls for duration of spell.
Material component is a few hairs of a large ferocious beast (Lion, Tiger, etc.)

Bladeturn I (Alteration)
Level: 1st Range: Self Components: V
Duration: Inst. Casting Time: 1 Area of Effect: Caster
Effects: Spell gives caster a bonus of +1 to armor class until end of the round.
When casting this spell, caster is limited to ½ movement and 1 attack at –to hit = to spell level used.

Both the Combat and Bladeturn spells above can be cast at the spell levels of 1st through 5th with the bonuses equal to the level cast. (5th level= +5 bonus)

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000