Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Magus Rages
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  01:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Magus Rages's Homepage Send Magus Rages a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Hello everyone, I had just thought of a question and had been wondering for some time. All right, this poll asks all the scribes, veteran and elite scribes of candlekeep who you think is the best, most powerful, most superior spellcaster in the realms in terms of your own opinion, not based on some stats. A honest vote and honest reply is greatly appreciated, I express my thanks to all in advance. Thank you.

Choices:

Halaster Blackcloak
Elminister the Old Sage
Telamont Tanthul
Alassra Silverhand(Alassra Shentrantra)
Laeral Silverhand(Anamanue Laeral)
Manshoon
Szass Tam
Vangerdahast
Sammaster
Karsus
Endue Alustriel (Alustriel Silverhand)
Khelben Blackstaff Arunsun

(Anonymous Vote)

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome. Another version of this thread, this time with a poll and no discussion. I'll take the staggeringly old one with lots of lore in it, thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:11:02  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uhm - Go Szass Tam! Well, I have to vote that way, since he's my dog!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:31:44  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass-man rules!

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:52:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Elminster, not only because of his levels , but also because of his experience, and the fact that his tempers the use of his powers with wisdom.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  02:58:54  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Removed at the moderators request.

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 26 Oct 2005 03:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  03:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Removed by moderator. :)

But...but...he didn't raise the Simbul.

And come on, you gotta admit El has more good qualities than bad ones.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Oct 2005 03:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  03:03:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry... I was joking about the Simbul, wasn't trying to start any false rumors.

And El does have more good qualities than bad, I admit. H

C-Fb

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 26 Oct 2005 03:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  03:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Sorry... I was joking about the Simbul, wasn't trying to start any false rumors.

C-Fb

I didn't think you were. :)

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:19:03  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to vote for Karsus, after all he the wrench away the power of a god for a brief time.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  04:35:50  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Alassra Silverhand the Simbul?

Btw, I would go for Larloch

Edited by - Skeptic on 26 Oct 2005 04:36:48
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  05:33:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Is Alassra Silverhand the Simbul?

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  08:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me!

And... /signed @Arivia.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  08:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halaster would be the greatest if he only got his head together.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  09:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus rules! Maybe not for a long time...but rulez!

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  12:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote go to Elminster. The old one is very wise in the use of the magic and of her other abilities...

Now... if Iolaum was in the list....
After all, he was all that Karsus was... but with good sense

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  12:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ioulaum. By far. Not only was he the greatest genuis to come forth from the netheril empire. But he's still alive, kind of...

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  18:18:00  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unquestionably and undisputed,the most dangerous mage in the realms...Not because he is a marvellous talent in the "art",and also he is marvellous in the spinning webbed conpiracies of sinister drow city!!Ladies and gentleman i prensent you:Gromph Ba'enre The archmage of Menzoberranzan and first son of House Ba'enre!!

sabre
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  19:53:30  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh no Harkel Harpell! Come on! I voted El beacause he was able to help just about all the others in a problem of spellfire. Shandrel should have been on the list although shes not that sage.

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  19:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Zass Tam cause Karsis isn't IN the Realms anymore, and ELminster has so much divine influence governing his spells and actions that he's hard to take serious as a straight mage.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  13:20:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sabre

Unquestionably and undisputed,the most dangerous mage in the realms...Not because he is a marvellous talent in the "art",and also he is marvellous in the spinning webbed conpiracies of sinister drow city!!Ladies and gentleman i prensent you:Gromph Ba'enre The archmage of Menzoberranzan and first son of House Ba'enre!!

Gromph? My impression of him is that Halaster or Elminster could squash him like a bug.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  19:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know were not supposed to respond, as its strictly a poll, but I chose curtain #2, the guy with the half-working Frigid-aire. Alassra, Karsus, Ioulum, and maybe Telamont have more in terms of raw power but El is the most cagey fighter of them all. He'll bend like a reed in the storm but will not break and then somehow turn your spells against you. Although, it was mentioned somewhere that Alassra could best both Mordenkainen and Elminister in a wide open spell battle!

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  00:38:35  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rocheval

I know were not supposed to respond, as its strictly a poll, but I chose curtain #2, the guy with the half-working Frigid-aire. Alassra, Karsus, Ioulum, and maybe Telamont have more in terms of raw power but El is the most cagey fighter of them all. He'll bend like a reed in the storm but will not break and then somehow turn your spells against you. Although, it was mentioned somewhere that Alassra could best both Mordenkainen and Elminister in a wide open spell battle!

Not sure about the 3E stats, haven't really looked at them.

But in 2E the Simbul was the most powerful of the Chosen.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  01:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe not only the the most powerful of the Chosen, but in Ed's own words, "Perhaps the greatest living human master of magic,..." Of course his words can be considered parsed that for one thing there were more powerful archmages before her time, and the phrase excludes any undead spell-casters or non-human ones that exist today. I don't have any 3ed products and I haven't played in a decade, but I hope the powers that be keep Ed's power hierarchy of archmages the same.

"I will vanish into the night; change my body to wood or stone; sink into the earth and walk through locked doors. I will be killed many times, yet will not die" excerpt from Ninja No Chigri (Way of the Tiger series)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  02:01:39  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe that anyway - Halastar is easily a match if not greater than The Simbul.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  02:08:54  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Szasser could take 'em both!

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Rocheval
Acolyte

21 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  02:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Rocheval's Homepage Send Rocheval a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well here is a snippet from a dragon article -I think- "Once More the Three" that was edited in the 2ed Seven Sisters accessory by Ed.

"I don't know if I approve of such secret meetings, and the magical knowledge that may from time to time inadvertently spilled in them," the Simbul said softly, looking around at the three mages.
"Its not your place,lady, to approve or disapprove," Dalamar said coldly, and the rings on his hands winked in unison.
Mordenkainen turned swiftly to him and said in a voice of cold iron, "No. Work no magic, if you would live."
Dalamar drew back. His eyes darkened as he asked carefully, "Are you threatening me?"
"No," said the mage of Greyhawk, in a voice whose silky menace matched Dalamar's own, "I'm trying to keep you alive, Dalamar. This Lady mage can overmatch you easily-I believe she could best any two of us, in wide-open spell battle. So belt up."

Now things might have been said differently if Halaster had been sitting at the table but I believe the Simbul would be in sheer terms more powerful than him. The Simbul seems to be more raw magic incarnate, and may even one day take Mystra's place, as she openingly defies Mystra and Azuth, as well as Ed and Khelben.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  03:00:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best spellcaster in the Realms is obviously Kalithra "Silvertresses" Tormal. Why even the great Elminster himself has commented on how gracefully and beautifully she weaves her spells and 'grasps the Weave'. A real talent, he notes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  03:50:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The best spellcaster in the Realms is obviously Kalithra "Silvertresses" Tormal. Why even the great Elminster himself has commented on how gracefully and beautifully she weaves her spells and 'grasps the Weave'. A real talent, he notes.

-- George Krashos

And where does this reference come from, Sir Krash?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  03:56:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Actually, I'm rather curious about that myself. The reference doesn't immediately come to mind, at least not in FR. I know of a character by the name of Silvertresses, but she belongs to the DRAGONLANCE setting.

Krash?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  05:53:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Oh, my noggin' really. I was just being naughty and in my own particular obtuse fashion telling posters that there is no 'right' answer to this kind of thread. But it's always nice to make up realmslore on the fly - I'll sneak Kalithra into the FR firmament, somewhere, somewhen; never you fear.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000