Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which FR source book are you most hanging for?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  01:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
A brief description going off known info

Champions of Valor: How to be a good guy/girl

Powers of Faerun: How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

Mysteries of the Moonsea: A Regional Source book for the Moonsea

As Im running a series of campaigns in the moonsea/Dalelands area Im going to vote for Mysteries of the Moonseas

Choices:

Champions of Valor
Powers of Faerun
Mysteries of the Moonsea

(Anonymous Vote)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 19 Oct 2005 02:23:42

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that my player's include all good characters (now at least) and that the cleric wants to found a temple, and that they are based in Mistledale . . . well, lets just say, I can't pick a favorite, I'll have use for them all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  01:48:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given my proclivity for all things "Border Kingdoms"... and the THO's reassurances to me about the content of this particular tome, I want to say Power of Fearun, but I find the notion of an updated sourcebook on the Moonsea region to be extremely fascinating.

The Moonsea region has to be one of the more intriguing areas of the Realms setting... with a hodge-podge mix of races, cultures, and themes -- it's always an area that people want to know more about. Additionally, I like to run adventures in the Moonsea... mostly on the northern shores, so new and expanded material about the region itself is something I can look forward to.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Oct 2005 01:49:09
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  02:04:07  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... I hadn't heard that there was going to be a Moonsea book. That's going to be awesome. I have to admit, I love the concept of all three. I really am looking forward to Power of Faerun, as it will allow my Sorcerer to finally establish himself in the Realms, and possibly open his own Sorcerer school... if there is such a thing!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  02:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Powers of Faerun, with Mysteries of the Moonsea a very close second.

What edges it over is that I've always been a fan of toolbox books, where it's: "Here, stuff. Go do something.", such as LEoF and SK, and Powers of Faerun seems like an excellent one.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  02:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Mysteries of the Moonsea because it is no doubt my favorite region so any information on that area is greatly desired.

There is so much possiblity around the Moonsea right now with the current happenings in the Zhentarim including their dealings with Shade, Elven Return, and the Religious split of the Black Network.

There is also the information presented in Sons of Gruumsh.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  05:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All of the above, but I can't wait for the Power book.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  05:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a tough question, well I voted Champions of Valor, though I would like to have all three but option here is quite limited it seems. For me, I number the three based(for myself) on which I think I must purchase first when I have the chance:
1)Champions of Valor(too impatient to wait any further)
2) Mysteries of the Moonsea (Moonsea seemed to be attractive setting for my next campaign.)
3) Powers of Faerun (I can wait for this one.)

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  05:18:45  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers of Faerun is my choice, especially since Ed is supposed to be working on it.

Champions of Valor, I am leery of, given how the crunch in Champions of Ruin was so messed up, plus the fact that SKR is working on it, doesn't give me much hope.

Not entirely sure on who is doing Mysteries of the Moonsea.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  09:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tricky, but regional sourcebooks are always a winner IMO, so its Mysteries of the Moonsea.

Powers of Faerun is a close second, as I have been craving such a book for years (decades?), and the credit list is very very promising. The topic indicates hit-or-miss book really, but with Greenwood and Boyd writing it, I'm confident it will be a hit.

Champions of Valor is a close third, as I expect to get lots of milage out of a book about goodgals with Reynolds and Reid as the writes. Should be solid and very useful.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  09:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Not entirely sure on who is doing Mysteries of the Moonsea.

Thomas Reid
Sean Reynolds
Darrin Drader
Wil Upchurch

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  10:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None of those, even with the writers on Powers of Faerun.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  10:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Keravin

None of those, even with the writers on Powers of Faerun.

Then what are you looking for from a Realms supplement?
Go to Top of Page

Keravin
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  10:47:54  Show Profile  Visit Keravin's Homepage Send Keravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers of Faerun hasn't sold me on anything I could use for stuff I'm interested in. I don't need more good guy groups, how to establish guilds or what have you. Same with Champions of Valour.

Moonsea is just not an area I'm ever likely to play. I have older supplements that I barely touch in years.

I'm interested in books on Sembia, Cormyr, advancing the realms, given us proper rumours and events like we used to have in things like the old grey box. I don't need more crunch. Powers may yet convince me to buy it.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  18:46:45  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mysteries of the moonsea. I need more info on the place.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  21:54:07  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mysteries of the Moonsea, most definitely.

I'm looking for some extrapolation on the Zhentarim. Now that Bane is back, and Fzoul and Khelben have made their 'pact', I'm wondering what the Zhents have planned. The Red Wizards seem to be doing very well as merchant lords, so it'll be interesting to see whether the Zhentarim have a new approach to their domination of Faerun.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2005 :  23:25:59  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I'd go for -

Border Kingdoms
Vilhon Reach/Dragon Coast (updated)
Religions (ie. church histories, who's who, power & influence, etc.)

Not exactly in the original list, but what I'd like to see... Much more useful to me than another 20+ prestige classes...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  06:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Bones

Mysteries of the Moonsea, most definitely.

I'm looking for some extrapolation on the Zhentarim. Now that Bane is back, and Fzoul and Khelben have made their 'pact', I'm wondering what the Zhents have planned. The Red Wizards seem to be doing very well as merchant lords, so it'll be interesting to see whether the Zhentarim have a new approach to their domination of Faerun.

Im also keen to see what theyve done to Phlan the city made famous by SSI Pool of Radience game

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  06:43:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

Personally I'd go for -

Border Kingdoms
Vilhon Reach/Dragon Coast (updated)
Religions (ie. church histories, who's who, power & influence, etc.)

Not exactly in the original list, but what I'd like to see... Much more useful to me than another 20+ prestige classes...

Powers of Faerun is supposed to have information on the Border Kingdoms.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  07:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonsea book couldn’t have come at a better time for me.

But the Power of Faerűn book is in the same boat.

I’d have to say I’m looking forward to both equally, but I voted for PoF. (Poof?)

;)

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  11:21:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im also keen to see what theyve done to Phlan the city made famous by SSI Pool of Radience game

The Heroes of Phlan novels have ruined Phlan for me. I don't like the place, because of those books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  11:25:50  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Heroes of Phlan novels have ruined Phlan for me. I don't like the place, because of those books.

Yeah, the game and module based of the game were good, but the novels were lacking.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  12:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted in Champions of Valor, more for my personal use, and for some of my players that like to be the good guys of the block...
But I really want all the three. Power of Faerűn have a very great potential of use, and the Moonsea book will shed some ligh in the zenths, finally!

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  16:55:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, the game and module based of the game were good, but the novels were lacking.

Happened to like the novels and I would recommand the original trilogy to new readers.

As for which sourcebook I'm waiting for.... well none of them I guess but maybe Ed's and Eric's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 12 Oct 2005 16:56:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  17:10:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

"Lacking" isn't the word I'd use...

Seriously, I kinda liked the novels when I first read them (when they were still new), but after reading other novels, I've come to quite dislike the Phlan books. I've never even bothered to buy the third book, because of how much I disliked the first two.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  18:22:27  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what Powers of Faerun is about, haven't seen any previews. The other two I am very eagerly awaiting though!

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  00:12:43  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For some reason, I did not get to vote, but I would have voted for Mysteries of the Moonsea.

James
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  19:32:42  Show Profile Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As Im running a series of campaigns in the moonsea/Dalelands area Im going to vote for Mysteries of the Moonseas

I voted for Mysteries of the Moonseas. I'm thinking of starting another campaign based in the Realms.

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  19:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also be in favour of a Dragon Coast sourcebook. I set most of my games in Elversult (a city which hasn't really been documented in anything other than Temple Hill).

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:31:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love a Dalelands update as well, do we think that might show up in the Moonsea book? I know it's close, but it might be too far of a stretch.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  02:40:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still thinking that if there is any "Dalelands" sourcebook forthcoming, its likely to be part of a "Heartlands" sourcebook that will likely have Cormyr, the independant cities, and Sembia in it as well. I could be wrong, because, heck, if any country has "buzz" around it in the Realms, its Cormyr.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000