Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My FR Tattoo...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  06:10:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, fellow sages, since I trust your opinions when it comes to FR, I was wondering if you could help me out with something.

I want to get a tattoo (my fourth) with something of the Realms. I want to get something that is somewhat elven, some what Realmsian, and of course, cool.

Currently, all my tattoos are from gaming, so anything really goes. Just not anything too crazy... like no full portraits of Drizzt..

And no giant space hamsters, either!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  06:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Um...a moonblade? Holy symbol of Corellon?
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  06:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go with something simple: like your first initial (or initials, or the initials of your favorite character) in Espruar runes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  06:40:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

But there is no beast more noble than the majestic Giant Space Hamster!

As for the something elven and Realms-ish... How about the sigil for an elven mage, or the heraldry for one of the elvish houses?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  06:52:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

C-Fb

But there is no beast more noble than the majestic Giant Space Hamster!

As for the something elven and Realms-ish... How about the sigil for an elven mage, or the heraldry for one of the elvish houses?

Following on from that, why not take a look at the old sigil and heraldly cards that came with the FR 2e boxed set. There's plenty of runes, flags, symbols and mages sigils on them... you might find one to your liking.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  07:10:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Moonstar symbol?

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  07:32:44  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the Zents one.... The symbol of the Red Wizards is cool too. And if you want to attract women try with the Mielikki one, there is no woman who can resist the charm of an unicorn... But I don't know what Kianna would think of that

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 09 Oct 2005 07:33:36
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  09:09:54  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's mark right in the middle of your forehead

But aye, all of the previous suggestions are good ones.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  09:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are you thinking of having the tattoo done? I only have one tattoo at the moment but a few years ago often thought of having the symbol of Cyric on the top of my left arm. I felt it to be a good symbol for a tattoo as well as generally looking quite good for those not in the know.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  09:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Currently, all my tattoos are from gaming, so anything really goes. Just not anything too crazy... like no full portraits of Drizzt..

What are the other gaming-related tattoos you have? if you don't mind me asking?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  10:49:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want to get something that is somewhat elven, some what Realmsian, and of course, cool.
Maybe you could bug Steven to provide you with some kind of eloquent elven phrase... perhaps something that was left over from his work on Cormanthyr .

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  15:49:57  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Where are you thinking of having the tattoo done? I only have one tattoo at the moment but a few years ago often thought of having the symbol of Cyric on the top of my left arm. I felt it to be a good symbol for a tattoo as well as generally looking quite good for those not in the know.

I too tought of Cyric's one, but, a bit scary in my opinion. You can always tatoo Eilistraee's simbol

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  16:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No space hamsters and no unicorns. :)

I thought a miniature version of Drizzt's swords would be neat. Alas, I was shot down.

I myself am going for the SpellJammer symbol next time I visit the tat place.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  16:30:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe... How about something giff?

Mercenaries usually like the occasional tattoo here and there .

Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  16:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HA! All I can think of when I hear Giff is that darn rhino with the gum from 2E MM.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  19:52:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I will be getting the Baenre tattoo from the Drow of the Underdark book on my back. That way I am always representing Drow! :) Actually, I still have to think on it... thank you all for your suggestions, and keep them coming, they have been great!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  20:30:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Helm´s symbol? I thinks it looks good.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  20:57:14  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think I will be getting the Baenre tattoo from the Drow of the Underdark book on my back. That way I am always representing Drow! :) Actually, I still have to think on it... thank you all for your suggestions, and keep them coming, they have been great!

C-Fb

I really like your idea, I am thinking myself of tatooing a drow house symbol in my arm... which one, where can i find the houses symbols?

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  23:00:49  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

quote:

C-Fb

I really like your idea, I am thinking myself of tatooing a drow house symbol in my arm... which one, where can i find the houses symbols?

FOR2 Drow of the Underdark, a 2E book.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  23:06:56  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, there are a lot of House Symbols in the Menzoberranzan Box Set - that's where I found Faen Tlabbar's... it wasn't in the Drow of the Underdark book.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2005 :  23:17:03  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, there are a lot of House Symbols in the Menzoberranzan Box Set - that's where I found Faen Tlabbar's... it wasn't in the Drow of the Underdark book.

C-Fb

That's right, for some reason, any time I think of House Glyphs and such, I always think of Drow of the Underdark instead of the Menzoberranzan boxed set.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  01:38:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

C-Fb

Have you thought about a tattoo based on a symbol or marking used by the Harpers? What about the Moonstars?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  03:05:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A mage's symbol like Elminster's, Khelben's or the Simbul's. In fact, IIRC Vangey has a pretty cool mage's sigil ...

I wonder what Larloch's mage's sigil looks like ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  04:28:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

C-Fb

Have you thought about a tattoo based on a symbol or marking used by the Harpers? What about the Moonstars?

I mentioned the Moonstar symbol. The Harper symbol is nice too. He should use one of those.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  13:46:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been half-tempted to tattoo Khelben's wizard mark on myself, but I think I'll take a year or two off to think on that. I've been planning other tattoos anyways, and it's actually a good thing for me to think on them for a year or two, just to avoid regrets at such permanent decisions....

SES
Owner of one tattoo he's had for 4 years now....

PS: If we're voting, I'd recommend wizard marks or runes over noble's shields or some of the group badges, as they're less complex and bound to be quicker and less apt to be done wrong.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  14:17:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

SES
Owner of one tattoo he's had for 4 years now....
And can we know what the tattoo actually looks like?

quote:
PS: If we're voting, I'd recommend wizard marks or runes over noble's shields or some of the group badges, as they're less complex and bound to be quicker and less apt to be done wrong.
Agreed.

I'm thinking that a tattoo of Elminster's sigil would look "way cool" . Then again, if you're looking for something a little darker... you might want to pay particular attention to the types of sigils and markings that Szass Tam has employed over the years. I'm sure there's one that'll tickle every tattoo lover's fancy...

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Oct 2005 14:20:08
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  14:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a tattoo of the Invisible Stalker from the 2nd edition monster manual on my forehead...

-
-
-
-
-

Bad joke, I know.

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 10 Oct 2005 14:40:24
Go to Top of Page

Kianna
Learned Scribe

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  14:57:42  Show Profile  Visit Kianna's Homepage Send Kianna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HA!

I love how the Invisible Stalker has artist props in the beginning of the 2E mm.

Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  15:25:19  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I was planning on getting the picture of Yeenoghu from the first edition MM on my back... he is the happiest Demon Lord ever... just one happy gnoll with a big flail.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  18:33:07  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but isn't the Moonstar symbol relatively simple?

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2005 :  20:53:56  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Yeah, but isn't the Moonstar symbol relatively simple?

I think you really like the moonstars symbol...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000