Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Hurricane Katrina
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  04:39:27  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I posted this also on Worlds, but I want to express the same here at the Keep.

Being on the Gulf Coast, hurricanes are a constant threat to everyone. Last year Pensacola, where I live, was devastated by Hurricane Ivan. My place of employment is set to reopen September 9th, one week shy of the anniversary of Ivan's landfall. Yes, it can be that bad.
Last month Hurricane Dennis blew through, hitting the area once again. Comparatively, not as bad as Ivan. Dennis just didn't have as much to destroy because of Ivan.
Monday morning Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast. The hurricane hit several hundred miles away, yet I felt wind gusts here easily topping 60 miles per hour(sorry, don't know the KPH equivalent). I don't want to imagine what it felt like in Gulfport, MS or Biloxi, MS, or even New Orleans, LA. I don't have to imagine it. I've seen the devastation on television. It is close to what happened here, where I live, but on a numbingly grand scale. The death toll is in the double digits, topping fifty-something last I heard, and climbing as rescue workers are able to get back into areas missing roads, with submerged roads, or covered with debris.
I've lived it. My heart goes out to everyone who is suffering through this. Take a moment out to do whatever you can to help those in need, be it in your hometown, or mine.

Also, James P. Davis is a resident of Louisiana, and I believe of New Orleans. James, I hope all is well with you and yours. Please, let everyone here at Worlds know that you are alright. Or, if anyone is in contact with James, let us know.

Mother Nature can and will remind us of our place on this earth, and she doesn't do it with a soft hand.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  06:13:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts also go out to all affected by this storm.

I've dodged a couple of big ones, but they were ones that didn't directly hit this area (or weakene just before landfall). 'So I've been thru some of that process, myself.

I used to live in Biloxi, quite close to the beach. My old apartment, if it was standing before the storm, is likely gone. At the least, it's underwater.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  07:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, having seen the reports of the destruction caused last night, my thoughts go out to everyone effected. I can't imagine how frightening it must have been and how lives have been destroyed, in many ways.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  03:40:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all. I just got back from my honeymoon. I don't know why, but I am a firm beleiver that God definately has a hand in things. My (now) wife and I were originally going to go to New Orleans for our honeymoon, and our plans changed. It really kept me riveted to the news to see accounts of this tragedy, especially whenever I heard about tourists getting trapped in hotels in the area, etc. All I can say is that I said my prayers and I am getting out my checkbook to write as big a check as I can to the Red Cross . . .
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  07:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Welcome back, KnightErrantJR. I trust ye had a good time 'tis good to see thee back in the halls of Candlekeep.

My word, that was certainly a very lucky escape

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  16:44:40  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would ask that everyone, if at all possible help out the poor people down in the Southern US. I don't have that much money, but I second KEJR, we should all help out, as good people. I have already donated twice and will continue to donate as I can.

For anyone on this board who lives in those regions, I'm sorry for what happened, and everything will be ok, just give it time.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000