Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampirism
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  22:15:21  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if there was a limit to what could turn into a vampire or not. Because all that I have heard that could become a vampire is so far a elf, humans, and dragons. Is there a rule that only sentient creatures could be turned into a vampire. Because you wouldn't want to be atacked by an army of vampire squerels or have one of your characters being stocked by a vampire goblin. The size of the creature is a problem to because any giant would have a hard time hiding from the sun or finding enough blood to slake its apetite. So if you could offer any input it would be helpful.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  22:41:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's any humanoid since there are halfling, gnome, dwarven, kender, elven, human vampires. The kender vampires of Ravenloft scares the hells out of me. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Aug 2005 23:52:35
Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My recommendation for if you ever want to get into vamps, liches, werebeasts, mummies, and other nasty baddies, look to the Van Richten's Guides in the RAVENLOFT campaign setting. However, designed for a separate setting, Ravenloft knows how to run gothic villians VERY well. RL has rules for multi-racial vampires: all of which are different from human vampires. For instance: Elf-vampires don't drink blood, but drain youth from victims. Unlike normal elves, vampire elves do not age well. Vampire elves also MUST go into the sun. There is even a gnomish randition of vampires. (ok, I know I'm obsessed, but I had to mention it)

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  23:53:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will echo part of that sentiment, though. Many of the original Van Richten's Guides were complied and reprinted as Van Richten's Monster Hunters Compendiums. Though intended for Ravenloft, I think those tomes could be used for any setting. Making a totally unique vampire, with abilities that differ from regular vampires, could throw PCs for a loop and make things very interesting...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  01:19:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The SRD 3.5 offers this
quote:
"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

That said in myth, lore and perhaps even history (of course one might not trust that historian) indeed there are animals that are blood suckers with low to nearly nil Int. There can be room in your home game for vampric animals should you desire to have them.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  02:07:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I think it's any humanoid since there are halfling, gnome, dwarven, kender, elven, human vampires. The kender vampires of Ravenloft scares the hells out of me. :)

DL also introduced the minotaur vampire.

quote:
I will echo part of that sentiment, though. Many of the original Van Richten's Guides were complied and reprinted as Van Richten's Monster Hunters Compendiums. Though intended for Ravenloft, I think those tomes could be used for any setting. Making a totally unique vampire, with abilities that differ from regular vampires, could throw PCs for a loop and make things very interesting...
Indeed, it is very true. I've often used the 'Guide to Fiends' in my PS campaigns .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:05:57  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yep, my player's so didn't enjoy running into a Greater Vampire (from the 1E Lords of Darkness) that was of the maximum age category in the Vampire one. 5 levels of energy drain per hit

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  04:34:44  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the Dracovampire in The Rage.

At first I did not like the idea, but the explanation that R.L.B gave in the book was REALLY good and made sense.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  10:21:32  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second the recommendation of the van rychtens guides.
I think they are one the best series tsr ever published for roleplaying.

another good great source of inspiration for vampires are the vampire chronicles from Anne Rice, if you want to see the world "through the eyes of the monster".

btw, thereīs at least one official dwarven vampire:
lars blackspire
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021002a

...though I would at least change his first name into something more dwarvish, and probably his last name into something that doesnīt sound like "I am evil and so I have a dark name".

Edited by - tauster on 27 Aug 2005 10:24:39
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  11:09:22  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

I second the recommendation of the van rychtens guides.
I think they are one the best series tsr ever published for roleplaying.

another good great source of inspiration for vampires are the vampire chronicles from Anne Rice, if you want to see the world "through the eyes of the monster".

btw, thereīs at least one official dwarven vampire:
lars blackspire
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021002a

...though I would at least change his first name into something more dwarvish, and probably his last name into something that doesnīt sound like "I am evil and so I have a dark name".

Lars is a germanic name, which does fit dwarves though. And the last name is Blackspike (not Blackspire), which does work as a dwarven name also.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
Lars is a germanic name, which does fit dwarves though. And the last name is Blackspike (not Blackspire), which does work as a dwarven name also.

i am a german; let me tell you that to german ears, "Lars" doesnīt sound dwarvish at all. i suppose itīs the same with some english names in fantasy: they might sound good if youīre no native speaker, but to british/american/etc. ears...

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  10:16:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

i am a german; let me tell you that to german ears, "Lars" doesnīt sound dwarvish at all. i suppose itīs the same with some english names in fantasy: they might sound good if youīre no native speaker, but to british/american/etc. ears...

Hmm, so Lars isn't from the geographical area around Germany?
I seem to recall alot of skits and stuff that have people named Hans and Lars being opposite each other.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:06:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Desolation

I was wondering if there was a limit to what could turn into a vampire or not. Because all that I have heard that could become a vampire is so far a elf, humans, and dragons. Is there a rule that only sentient creatures could be turned into a vampire. Because you wouldn't want to be atacked by an army of vampire squerels or have one of your characters being stocked by a vampire goblin. The size of the creature is a problem to because any giant would have a hard time hiding from the sun or finding enough blood to slake its apetite. So if you could offer any input it would be helpful.

I think the Monster Manual and Savage Species describe what creatures the 'vampire template' may be applied to.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  11:52:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Desolation

I think the Monster Manual and Savage Species describe what creatures the 'vampire template' may be applied to.

Dragon have their own special Vampire template in the Draconomicon.

As to what creatures the Vampire template can be added to:
quote:
MM 3.5
Creating a Vampire
"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Also Illithids (Mind Flayers) have their own special version of a vampire, but apparently is it not a template though per Lords of Madness.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dragon have their own special Vampire template in the Draconomicon.

As to what creatures the Vampire template can be added to:
quote:
MM 3.5
Creating a Vampire

Also Illithids (Mind Flayers) have their own special version of a vampire, but apparently is it not a template though per Lords of Madness.

Illithid liches are called 'Alhoon'. This template is described in the 3e Monsters of Faerun. But maybe that is changed now in 3.5 edition, and it is no longer a template? I have not read Lords of Madness yet, so I cannot comment on this.

Aye, I have the Draconomicon, and I like the idea of having variant undead dragons other than the dracoliches

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  14:29:46  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Illithid liches are called 'Alhoon'. This template is described in the 3e Monsters of Faerun. But maybe that is changed now in 3.5 edition, and it is no longer a template? I have not read Lords of Madness yet, so I cannot comment on this.

Aye, I have the Draconomicon, and I like the idea of having variant undead dragons other than the dracoliches

Alhoon are described in Lords of Madness, with some adjustments to the Lich template.

But we are talking about Vampires here not Liches

News of the Weird

Edited by - warlockco on 28 Aug 2005 14:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  11:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, my bad Perhaps I should talk to Tethtoril about semi-retirement from my scribe's duties

Book of Vile Darkness at least describes a "vampire-like" prestige class, which is meant for 'living monstrous humanoids' (if my memory serves me).

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  14:36:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those creatures in the Van Richten's guides are great! They really help if you want to bring the creatures of gothic horror (Vamps, Ghosts, Golems) to your game. I have used the Ghost book extensively and it was an invaluable tool. The vampire book is also very awesome!

I third the recommendation!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read from a dragon magazine (donīt remember issue) about half-vampires. I didnīt buy the issue, just browsed through it. Has anyone the issue at hand? How are they created? are they a template or a race? Any thoughts on this?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobarisī seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  16:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

I read from a dragon magazine (donīt remember issue) about half-vampires. I didnīt buy the issue, just browsed through it. Has anyone the issue at hand? How are they created? are they a template or a race? Any thoughts on this?

The issue is #313, and it is on page 64. It's a template with a LA of +4, so it actually makes a very weak PC (we tried it for a VERY short lived campaign). The article says they are usually created "when the creatures mother is transformed into a vampire, ghoul, or wight while pregnant".

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  16:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So its has been taken directly from Blade.

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobarisī seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have no idea....I've never watched Blade.
I think there may be a half vamp template in Libris Mortis that has a smaller LA, but we don't have the book

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

I have no idea....I've never watched Blade.
I think there may be a half vamp template in Libris Mortis that has a smaller LA, but we don't have the book

I have it. Iīll check.

So basicly it says that half-vampires are more often born when a vampire has drank enough blood that it can get it on with a humanoid or a monstrous humanoid. Its more rare that a pregnant woman is bitten. half-vampires are usually less drawn to evil than full-blooded ones. most are neutral.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:30:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Doubtful. The concept has been around for a while. It certainly predates the movie, and likely the comic, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:39:41  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Alhoon are described in Lords of Madness, with some adjustments to the Lich template.

Illithid vampires were featured in the Ravenloft Module "Thoughts of Darkness". The were described as the result of evil experiments, first created by the human vampire Lyssa von Zarovich and the High Master Illithid of Bluetspur to test the viability of turning the High Master Illithid into a vampire. The resulting creatures were completely insane and utterly uncontrollable.

Probably not a viable experiment, one is inclined to think.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Desolation
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  21:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Desolation's Homepage Send Lord Desolation a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info I will put it to good use.

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  02:27:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

Illithid vampires were featured in the Ravenloft Module "Thoughts of Darkness". The were described as the result of evil experiments, first created by the human vampire Lyssa von Zarovich and the High Master Illithid of Bluetspur to test the viability of turning the High Master Illithid into a vampire. The resulting creatures were completely insane and utterly uncontrollable.
Further, Lyssa's and the High Master Illithid's plan was to use the illithid vampires in their attempt to usurp the God-Brain's position of power within the island domain.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Sep 2005 02:29:32
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  03:36:33  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

The issue is #313, and it is on page 64. It's a template with a LA of +4, so it actually makes a very weak PC (we tried it for a VERY short lived campaign). The article says they are usually created "when the creatures mother is transformed into a vampire, ghoul, or wight while pregnant".

Green Ronin Publishing has some Vampire stuff also.
Bastards & Bloodlines a Guidebook to Half-Breeds (a 3.0E book), has a Half-Vampire Template that is a +5 LA.
Fang & Fury a Guidebook to Vampires (a 3.0E book), has a Daywalker template that is a +2 LA.
I personally have not taken a good look at either.

And finally in Libris Mortis we have a 3.5E Half-Vampire template put out by WotC that is a +2 LA.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Sir Luther Cromwell
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  16:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Sir Luther Cromwell's Homepage Send Sir Luther Cromwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fang & Fury a Guidebook to Vampires (a 3.0E book), has a Daywalker template that is a +2 LA.

Denizens of Dread pg196 for the Ravenloft campaign setting has stats for a day walking vamp called the Nosferatu. As well, it has numerous other vampire strains.

"At what temperature does a Goblin boil?"
"Any Rakshasa should eat a healthy diet that is high in wood elf, and low in shield Dwarf. One must always watch those cholesterol levels."
"If a Svirfneblin falls in the underdark, does anybody care?"

Edited by - Sir Luther Cromwell on 01 Sep 2005 16:02:05
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  19:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When at the subject... Where can you find a rule for the process of turning a characgter into a vampire? How long it takes and what changes take place and when?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  23:27:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

When at the subject... Where can you find a rule for the process of turning a characgter into a vampire? How long it takes and what changes take place and when?

I've never seen such an in-game process... I remember in 2E, the rule was simple: when a character becomes a vampire, that character becomes an NPC under the DM's control.

Besides, looking at the fiction, there's not much of a process.
1. Die from a vampire's bite.
2. Rise as a vampire the next night.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000