Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Power of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  00:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What could this be I wonder?

Power of Faerūn

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Jul 2005 02:20:04

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  00:56:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks to be a new FR sourcebook by Ed and Eric. Quite obvious really.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have to be such a stinker. The supposed title given by Amazon is unlikely to be the title that will grace the product when it's finished.

I'll leave it to more senior voices to give you all hints and teasers.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  01:03:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey maybe it talks about wind and water power. *wink*

WotC I am sure will start to put something out in the next few months.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:24:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

What could this be I wonder?

Power of Faerūn

Very interesting. Thanks for the scoop Gray!

Although I don't care much for the title of this new work, Krash has a point. The name of the sourcebook will undoubtedly change -- especially given the amount of time still to pass before its final release.

Do any scribes care to speculate on its particular content?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Jul 2005 02:20:27
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another book on the power-groups of Faerūn?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im putting my money on a Prayers of the faithfulesque source book

The correct title will be Powers and Avatars

Faithes and pantheons details the gods, Powers and Avatars will detail their clergy.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:57:35  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, another religious book? I hope not...

I hope it's one about the nations and cities of Faerun. I would love to see some updates on Zhentil Keep and the war that's going on in Amn.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  06:31:30  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im putting my money on a Prayers of the faithfulesque source book

The correct title will be Powers and Avatars

Faithes and pantheons details the gods, Powers and Avatars will detail their clergy.

That could have some potential.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  07:37:44  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if it were Powers of Faerūn it might be about gods or other cosmic entities. I suppose it being a book about the planes of Faerūn is too much to hope for.

Now if we are talking terrestrial powers, then it might be about the major political powers of Faerūn. But they have hit a lot of the major ones recently with the Waterdeep sourcebook, Silver Marches, UE, CoR, Shining South, etc. So it is hard to think of what powers are left to detail... of course I am sure Eric & Ed could certainly revisit the material and have no end of new lore to impart about these places.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  14:12:26  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not ask Ed Greenwood and Eric L. Boyd about the book. They might give an idea what the title refers to.

James
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  15:17:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry,

Freelancers have no discretion to give spoilers. The best place to ask is the "Ask the Realms Designers" thread on the WoTC boards, although I doubt Rich will answer yet.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  20:39:50  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was not referring to detailed account of what the book will contain. Just an explaination of the title. What does the title refer too?

James
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  21:01:59  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One needs to wait for more information to be released. Rd and Eric both are under NDA and can not discuss this book at this time from all indications.

Side Note: Could a moderator http the URL so the screen is not so wide?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:05:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

That sounds like a job for Wooly .

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Da da DA!!!! Super-Hamster!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Edited by - Melfius on 28 Jul 2005 02:15:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:21:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Done. Though, to be honest, I didn't notice any difference in screen width.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:22:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Da da DA!!!! Super-Hamster!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

And don't you forget it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  02:30:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Done. Though, to be honest, I didn't notice any difference in screen width.

I chalked that one up to differing screen resolutions.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  04:20:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trundle along to Page 55 of the Ask Eddie thread in the Chamber of Sages, and you can read just a TRIFLE more on this book.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2005 :  06:25:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Trundle along to Page 55 of the Ask Eddie thread in the Chamber of Sages, and you can read just a TRIFLE more on this book.
love,
THO

In the interest of keeping things nice and tidy my lady, I'll simply provide your message from Ed right here -

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. Ed gives swift reply to Dargoth’s questions:

1)Ed is Power of Faerun a book on psionics in the realms?

2)Ed is Power of Faerun a book on FR religion?

Let me state this, categorically and upon oath: I’m not aware of ever having written, or being about to write, a book entitled “Power of Faerun.” I cannot speculate as to what a tome would contain with any more insight than any of you reasonable citizens.
It is within the bounds of possibility - - nay, reasonable probability - - m’luds, that someone who bears a passing resemblance to an upstanding bough of the family tree of Logan, together with your good and voluble servant, have collaborated our divers talents (such as they are) in the production of Realmslore intended for the printed page, to whit public circulation of same. By now all of you should be heartily familiar with Non-Disclosure Agreements and all that they entail, and I must warn you that I shall not entertain an endless series of ever-more-pointed questions designed to lay bear that which should now remain mysterious.
However, to answer thy specific questions, questor Dargoth:

1. No.

2. No.

With the usual caveat that any screed bearing the names Boyd and Greenwood tends to cover many topics in passing, and may include mentions of both of the above. M’luds, I’ll try thy indulgences no farther. If I may? Yes, same again, thanks. Don’t bother with the glass, just the bottle, thanks . . .

So saith Ed.
So let the wild speculation veer from this book being “all about” either psionics or religion.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  03:22:25  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From ENWorld :

Power of Faerun
Ed Greenwood and Eric L. Boyd
A new guidebook for high-level play in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
Power of Faerun is a comprehensive guidebook to playing high-level heroes and running high-level campaigns in the Forgotten Realms. This supplement introduces new options to players and Dungeon Masters as well as guidelines for startig a temple, running a guild, leading an army, serving the crown, and participating in political intrigues.
160 page hardcover, $29.95
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  03:39:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... so basically it's Forgotten Realms' version of ELH. Sounds interesting.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  04:58:44  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to see it.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2005 :  22:50:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds less then complete, no mention of water or wind power.

Also no indication of actually running a realm is included.

Oh there might be some useful ideas contained there in, but it does not appear to deal with economic reality, based on what has been put out so far.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  16:44:04  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Posted on the WotC site from GenCOn reports:

quote:

One thing they most definitely talked about was the book Power of the Realms. I know there's been an awful lot of speculation on the future releases board, trying to figure out what this one is about. Well, it was revealed yesterday and I'm here to tell you about it. The book will cover how to take your game and give the PCs "power" in the sense of being a leader. It'll cover things such as becoming Kings, Queens, Nobles, and so on. But it has more - it'll also cover, for example, what happens as your rogue begins moving up the chain of command in the thieves' guild, or what happens when your cleric begins attaining higher levels within the organization of his religion. It sounds very interesting - and most definitely a book I'll be checking out when it releases.

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  02:37:54  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting. The fact it's by Ed and Eric means that's it's likely I'll buy it, though currently I'm not convinced how much use I'd get of it right now.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  04:34:36  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The first due sometime early next year is Powers of the Realms, essentially a guide for characters who want to exploit their powers, whether religious, mercantile, military, or magical, to carve out a niche where they rule.

- Gamingreport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=18287&mode=thread&order=0

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  04:35:47  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.gamingreport.com/article.php?sid=18287&mode=thread&order=0

Good stuff. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  13:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent website indeed!, Sir Urza. Thanks for posting this helpful website, at least I can have some proper information at hand before I make the next D&D purchase.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  08:24:59  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got this snippet from a report:

quote:
The book will cover how to take your game and give the PCs "power" in the sense of being a leader. It'll cover things such as becoming Kings, Queens, Nobles, and so on. But it has more - it'll also cover, for example, what happens as your rogue begins moving up the chain of command in the thieves' guild, or what happens when your cleric begins attaining higher levels within the organization of his religion.

I'm VERY interested in this book now and excited about picking it up

(i just wish that FR products moved away from "<insert> of Faerūn" or "<something> of <whatever>")

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  08:39:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard Power of Faerun was just a working title at the moment.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000