Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 worst multi-class
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  19:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The question about the best multiclass has been asked but the opposite of it has not been asked.

What would you consider the worst multi-class?

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2003 :  20:43:18  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't really think of a worst multi-class character. For me I found that a Cleric/Mage/Thief was hard to play. To many classes to remember. But again thats just me.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  08:09:38  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much anything multi-classed with a thief sucks IMHO!
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  09:53:48  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only multi-class combination that I do not like is Cleric/Thief.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  12:38:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

Same here! I totally agree with Echon, it doesnt seem right or valid to have such a multi-class, its like a contradiction in beliefs. Although I suppose it depends a lot on the characters alignment. Even so, id never use it.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  12:52:36  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:

Same here! I totally agree with Echon, it doesnt seem right or valid to have such a multi-class, its like a contradiction in beliefs. Although I suppose it depends a lot on the characters alignment. Even so, id never use it.

Unless it's a cleric who venerates a god of thieves
I think the worst class has to be the C/M/T multiclass... think about all of the restrictions- What a nightmare!

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  14:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon
Unless it's a cleric who venerates a god of thieves

yeah ok, i wasnt thinking straight! im stupid
I have just never used clerics that way, I have always stuck with the stereotypical good cleric idea for some reason.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  14:58:15  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if there is something as a 'worst multi-class'. I see only challenges in roleplaying for more unlikely combinations. The terms best and worst have a tendency to reflect statistics and calculations; in other words they reek of min-maxing IMO.

Though I can imagne such the terms used in CRPGs, where role-playing is less 'evolved' and where more focus is on effectiveness of the character in combat and magic.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  16:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

I don't know if there is something as a 'worst multi-class'. I see only challenges in roleplaying for more unlikely combinations. The terms best and worst have a tendency to reflect statistics and calculations; in other words they reek of min-maxing IMO.

Though I can imagne such the terms used in CRPGs, where role-playing is less 'evolved' and where more focus is on effectiveness of the character in combat and magic.

I do not attempt to conceal the fact that the reason I do not like that particular combination is because the restrictions of the cleric severely limit the thief's abilities. So yeah, I am referring to combat and not roleplaying.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  17:36:47  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for the record, I'm not saying min-maxing is bad per-se, just that it isn't my cup-a-tea.

If people enjoy playing characters in a min-maxing way then that is great. The goal is to enjoy the game.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2003 :  20:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say Fighter/Mage. Sure, the ability to have spells and strenght all in one is nice, but your stats would be too spread out. And, wearing the Fighters heavy armor, would make the Mages spells fail ore often, unless you took the armor off every time you cast a spell.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  17:43:43  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure every bladesinger (elven fightermage) is going to disagree with you Salius. But on the average it tends to be an awkward combination when there's a lot of heavy melee fighting involved...
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  19:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say any character who has 3 classes, they're very annoying and hard to keep up with.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  12:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just for the record, I'm not saying min-maxing is bad per-se, just that it isn't my cup-a-tea.

If people enjoy playing characters in a min-maxing way then that is great. The goal is to enjoy the game.

Indeed. I think every player min/maxes to some degree and I would think it awkward if things were different. It is not like the best roleplayer is the one with the most horrible character with regard to combat. Everyone would like a character who is as efficient as possible in as many different situations as possible, including combat.
Some people seem to view even the slighest min/maxing with such dread that they go in the complete opposite direction.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  12:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm sure every bladesinger (elven fightermage) is going to disagree with you Salius. But on the average it tends to be an awkward combination when there's a lot of heavy melee fighting involved...

So far, I have not had the pleasure of being a player in an AD&D campaign but the first character I am going to create when I get the chance is a Grey Elf Fighter/Mage with Bladesinging fighting style (not the kit).
I admit the when I was first introduced to AD&D I did not like this combination at all, it was too contradictory, but after having played Baldur's Gate with a human dual-classed fighter/mage, an elven fighter/mage/thief and a half-elven fighter/mage/cleric I must say that I have become quite addicted to the versality of this class.
In my humble opinion, of course.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  21:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I imagine it would be hard to play a Bard/Barbarian/Thief...but there must be some kind of rule violation in that multiclass.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Jalfrez
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  20:34:29  Show Profile  Visit Jalfrez's Homepage Send Jalfrez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say mage/thief. It gets very annoying taking of armor of and on while casting spells and theifing.

Millike for all
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  01:31:23  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
F/M/T get really bad with armor and restrictions and... argh! (IMHO)

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2003 :  20:57:10  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any mid-level character with only 1 level of ranger.
Go to Top of Page

The Defence Minister
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  20:01:11  Show Profile  Visit The Defence Minister's Homepage Send The Defence Minister a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont like anything crossed with a mage (except perhaps a theif) because

A) I like my mages to be as powerful as possible
B) Constantly changing armour really pisses me off.

TDM

- TDM (Candlekeep's most popular, experienced and handsome member)
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  00:55:04  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warrior/Cleric

Too much overlap in the fighting abilities of the classes. A cleric is generically a backup fighter. If you are going to multiclass choosing something with less duplication of abilities.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  04:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't warrior/thief be a bad one, under that criteria?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  13:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Are you speaking of the warrior NPC class?
Go to Top of Page

Kiarin DAleshan
Candlekeep Inn Waitress

12 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  14:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Kiarin DAleshan's Homepage Send Kiarin DAleshan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The TDM is still alive! Wow!

Back on topic: Thief warrior? Why not use it? Use the warrior's HP bonus as well as it's weapon proficiencies, then become a thief. The higher HP will help your character last longer and the extra weapon proficiencies (sp?) can be useful.

Kiarin D'Aleshan
Candlekeep Inn Waitress

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

"This is an inn, not a tavern, m'lord!"
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2003 :  16:33:34  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that warriors fits well with any class, e.g. a fighter/thief is a thief that is more skilled at combat, the same goes for fighter/clerics and fighter/mages.

I also think that the mage fits well with any class. The spells of the mage are good for augmenting the abilities of the other class, Cat's Grace and invisibility for mage/thieves and Armor and Strength for fighter/mages, etc.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  02:46:20  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Not really (IMHO anyway) the rogue is a skill-based class with many abilities not available to warriors. Rogues are also a step down from clerics in combat making them 2 steps away from a fighter.

I believe fighter/rogues to be an excellent multiclass the combination of subterfuge and top level fighting abilities are very complimentary.

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  14:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Artalis. The rogue/fighter multiclass is quite an exellent choice. I have used this multiclass in most of the characters i have made lately. If a rogue/fighter is what you want, you really get the best of both worlds. You get the thievery skills of a rogue (given you take up to a high enough level of rogue) such as crippling strike or slippery mind, and the fighter makes you a skilled fighter as well. I also usually as a level of ranger for the ambidextry/two weapon fighting and a hate race.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  14:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do rangers recieve ambidexterity by default in 3E?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do rangers recieve ambidexterity by default in 3E?

-Echon

No, I don't think so.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  21:50:45  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drummer Boy:

>Originally posted by Echon

>>Do rangers recieve ambidexterity by default in 3E?

>No, I don't think so.

Huh? They get ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting for free.

Look at the 3rd ediion FR campaign book. Artemis Entreri has a single level of ranger. Has he ever had an "rangerishness" anywhere else?

The folks at WotC are minmaxers. I don't say that an evil ranger with his own race as a favored enemy is lame. In fact, that's probably a good class to take if you want your character to be a professional assassin. But a 20th level character (or whatever Entreri is) with a single level of ranger is just plain cheap. For the price of a single level, you get three feats and 1 level of favored enemy, and you get the second best hit die in the rules.

"The ranger is broken" is a common hue and cry in 3e-land, but there's a reason for that. That's why I say any mid-level character with only a single level of ranger is the worst multi-class.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  22:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin
Huh? They get ambidexterity and two-weapon fighting for free.

Look at the 3rd ediion FR campaign book. Artemis Entreri has a single level of ranger. Has he ever had an "rangerishness" anywhere else?

The folks at WotC are minmaxers. I don't say that an evil ranger with his own race as a favored enemy is lame. In fact, that's probably a good class to take if you want your character to be a professional assassin. But a 20th level character (or whatever Entreri is) with a single level of ranger is just plain cheap. For the price of a single level, you get three feats and 1 level of favored enemy, and you get the second best hit die in the rules.

"The ranger is broken" is a common hue and cry in 3e-land, but there's a reason for that. That's why I say any mid-level character with only a single level of ranger is the worst multi-class.

It never made any sense to me why rangers are better at fighting with two weapons than others but the fact that they recieve ambidexterity for free is simply ridiculous. I might consider it hilarious but in a way it is sad. A class is not something that affects the physics of a person. In my opinion a wizard could be just as likely to be ambidexterious as anybody else.

As far as powergaming goes, Wizards of the Coast sure has made that a lot easier which I have experienced several times to be one of the reasons why a lot of people stick with 2E. This only applies to me slightly as I have other reasons as well. If the DM was not busy keeping the balance earlier, at least he is more busy now.

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000