Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Elder Eternal Evils
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RedStrike
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  08:52:47  Show Profile  Visit RedStrike's Homepage Send RedStrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone, I have heard of the Elder Eternal Evils of FR, so what are they and why are they called the Bane of The Gods? Are they more powerful than Lord Ao himself?

We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  08:56:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are three of the Elder Eternal Evils, they are Dendar the Night Serpent, Kezef the Chaos Hound, and Ityak-Ortheel, the Elf-Eater. The last elder eternal evil favors elf flesh a lot but can be combated provided one is armed with the correct spells but certainly not death magic.

You may certainly wish to try this link.
http://www.wizards.com/?x=books/fr/elderevil

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:02:20  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there is something else as well about the last eternal evil, but somehow the first two spelling of its name is wrong but still it is also known as the Elf eater, here is the link:

http://www.theamazinginstitute.org/gurps/mithras/hyuk.htm

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

silvermage
Seeker

77 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:07:07  Show Profile  Visit silvermage's Homepage Send silvermage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strange that Lord Ao allowed the existence of these Elder Eternal Evils, I wonder why he did not vanquish them for all time given his so mighty powers, greater than the combined might of Toril's gods.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. I have been wondering why Lord Ao allowed the existence of the Elder Eternal Evils, maybe he wants to maintain the balance of good and evil, life and anti-life. Still, I am certain there are novels where these evils are mentioned,

Prince of Lies, Evermeet: Isle of Elves, and The Coral Kingdom, and The Druid Queen, these novels did mention about these evils too.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:19:36  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Lord Ao is following the instructions of another divine being greater than Ao? Perhaps this maybe why Ao had not put his hand into the business of fighting the Elder Eternal Evils.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:19:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is clear that AO does not favor good over evil. There are examples of this Mystra being told to allow evil deities and creatures access to the Weave.

No deity can be understood fully by mortals, the more powerful a deity is the less is known about and thus harder to understand any of their actions.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  09:27:06  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it seems Lord Ao had some kind of secret agenda up his sleeves...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  10:47:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

There are three of the Elder Eternal Evils, they are Dendar the Night Serpent, Kezef the Chaos Hound, and Ityak-Ortheel, the Elf-Eater. The last elder eternal evil favors elf flesh a lot but can be combated provided one is armed with the correct spells but certainly not death magic.

In addition, seek out the recently released Champions of Ruin tome for more extensive lore on the Elder Eternal Evils at work in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  11:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive always thought that Dendar screams servant of Shar

Shar's beef with Sylune is over the sun and Dendar will one day consume the sun

Shar is the goddess of Darkness, if Dendar consumes the sun then the people of Toril will live in Darkness 24/7

Shars Dogma includes "To them everything deserves to perish" which Id read as making Shar clergy a "Doomsday cult" again Dendar holds the most potential for destroying Toril.

Theory: Dendar was created from Shar in the same way that Mystryl was created from Selune.....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  15:49:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

In addition, seek out the recently released Champions of Ruin tome for more extensive lore on the Elder Eternal Evils at work in the Realms.

As well as Powers & Pantheons, the Evermeet novel (for the elf eater), one of the novels that came out after the Time of Troubles novels (for Kazaf).

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  15:58:59  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was not Dendar mentioned in The Serpent Kingdoms trilogy?????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Thureen Buroch
Learned Scribe

169 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  17:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Thureen Buroch's Homepage Send Thureen Buroch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shar is the goddess of Darkness, if Dendar consumes the sun then the people of Toril will live in Darkness 24/7

I don't think they'll be living anymore (for the most part).

Goblins? *Slash* *Scream* *Thunk* What goblins?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  01:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thureen Buroch

quote:

I don't think they'll be living anymore (for the most part).

Dendar versus Ubtao? Who will win will decide the fate of Toril.

Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  01:55:10  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Dendar swallows the sun and the folk of Toril perishes, well I think the deities will do well to get as many peitioners to their realms before the Chaos Hound gets to them, if the deities are to fight the Elder Eternal Evils.

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

SomeDude
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  06:32:04  Show Profile  Visit SomeDude's Homepage Send SomeDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a side note, what is Dendar's relationship with Io (The big dragon deity, not Ao)?

On another side note, this one much less relevant, the people of Toril would be living in darkness 24/10 not 24/7, right?

This is the highest my post count has ever been.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  15:17:47  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedStrike

Hello everyone, I have heard of the Elder Eternal Evils of FR, so what are they and why are they called the Bane of The Gods? Are they more powerful than Lord Ao himself?

They are not more powerful than Lord Ao, and according to the 'Champions of Ruin', even some epic-level characters might be able to defeat them

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  15:21:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

Maybe Lord Ao is following the instructions of another divine being greater than Ao? Perhaps this maybe why Ao had not put his hand into the business of fighting the Elder Eternal Evils.

I have always thought that the Elder Eternal Evils were meant to be near-divine beings, whose origin were veiled in myths, and possibly were created to challenge the gods themselves. Or to play the role of the 'balancing force' to the deities?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  15:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

They are not more powerful than Lord Ao, and according to the 'Champions of Ruin', even some epic-level characters might be able to defeat them

Defeat the Elder Eternal Evils and take over their portfolios?

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  15:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have always thought that the Elder Eternal Evils were meant to be near-divine beings, whose origin were veiled in myths, and possibly were created to challenge the gods themselves. Or to play the role of the 'balancing force' to the deities?

Perhaps acting as a balancing force to the deities might be an answer, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  16:59:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Aye, though it might require the sponsorship of a deity to achieve that. I don't think that any mortal should be able to absorb that energy/essence on their own

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  17:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I favor the balancing force theory, myself.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  17:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Taking the portfolio of something without a portfolio is a really interesting trick...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  18:00:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm called bane of the gods because they interfer with deities plans.

A balancing force of nature though certainly could be part of the explaination. The forses that stive against nature and those pesky mortals and deities that seek change.

It appears that none of them can be killed just from time to time contained or driven away.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  18:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I favor the balancing force theory, myself.

I echoing this. That said, I prefer the "mithological" aspect of the Elder Ones showed in the Powers and Pantheons, and ignore the "epic monstuosities deserving to be wiped out by epic characters" thas was showed in the Champions of Ruin.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  18:33:02  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Taking the portfolio of something without a portfolio is a really interesting trick...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  04:09:43  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Aye, though it might require the sponsorship of a deity to achieve that. I don't think that any mortal should be able to absorb that energy/essence on their own

If one managed to defeat an Elder Eternal Evil, it would be best not to take Dendar's portfolio which seemed rather not too good an idea.

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2005 :  17:02:40  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I see this topic has come up again. Always interested to read up on these three. I find them quite fascinating.

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000