Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  04:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have never played the video game of Baldur's Gate. I read books and I interact with human beings. I don't have time for most computer games. I don't know if there are II, III, or IV Baldur's Gate games, and frankly, my dear, I don't give a woot, having eventually figured out last year that there is only one Volo's Guide for the "City of Baldur's Gate" not two.

The taint of Bhaal beyond Boarskyr Bridge has long fascinated me, so when I accidentally stumbled onto the Amazon.com page for this book (I found it on someone's list of FR novels and games), I was eager to read the customer reviews to see what it was about. Well, ya coulda fish-slapped me, for all the value I got from the viscous puddles of drool passing for "reviews" over there. "He didn't do this, which was in the game," "She didn't do that because he wrote this other thing," blah, blah, blah, blather! I began to doubt that any of the d-----d fools had actually read the book.

One pundit, who doubtless thought himself quite droll, complained that there was more blood spilled in the first three pages than in all of Dracula. Knowing how little bloodshed actually does take place in Dracula, I decided to use Amazon's search engine to read the first ten pages of Throne of Bhaal. Not one drop of blood gets spilled. Not one. The closest thing to an act of violence is that a root wantonly trips one of the characters (who is caught before falling and sustaining injury, thank goodness!).

Having a fairly good idea of what keywords would be in the book, I searched for one of those, zipped to an interesting passage (a darned important one, apparently), and I found the writing really gripping. I promptly put it into my shopping cart.

I hope that in the future people who can actually read and write coherently and cogently will post reviews of Realms novels on Amazon. I'm certain that they would sell better if their fate wasn't tied to the opinions who of people who probably have trouble with the concept of "the opposable thumb," except insofar as it is an adjunct of the joystick.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 Jun 2005 04:21:28

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  04:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you read the first Baldur's Gate book (based on the computer game)?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:01:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The BG series is horrible, not because it doesn't follow the game. This is not the point. It's the series not following D&D, that's THE POINT. If you read later on in BG2, there is one particular scene where the heroes fight a creature called the Ravager. An elven prince named Elhan attacks it with his moonblade and does nothing, and he ends up getting slaughtered. However, then we have Abdul come in with Yoshimo's katana (which is only a +1 katana), and cuts the monster to pieces.

Now anyone, regardless of playing BG or not, with a little D&D knowledge should know a moonblade should be more powerful than a minor +1 katana. It was stuff like this that made the series bad, not because. Also, you can't exactly compare the bloodshed in BG2: SOA and BG2: ToB, because they were written by two different novels.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:31:37  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play DND but I did play the three BG games. First of all, when I first read the first two books, I didn't really feel that it was that bad, although it didn't really follow how the game went. It's been awhile since I've finished them but I don't remember any parts which were really bad.

I don't play real life DND so I wouldn't know if there were any prominent clashes with the rules but I usually don't mind clashes with the rules as novels and game should never be connected directly. I don't quite remember what exactly happened during the scene with the Ravager but Abdel's a demi-god. He might have been imbued with the power to destroy the Ravager. I don't know but IIRC that was what I thought then.
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly the Ravager was some kind of pseudo incarantion of Bhaal in the game. But I agree with DDH_101 those books were pretty ruff to carry the forgotten realms marquee.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:38:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Abdul was not a demi-god. He was never a deity during the whole series. In fact, at the end of the BG series in the novels, he gave up his divinity and then returned to Candlekeep.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  06:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, The BD series were not that well written, but still I think there are two incarnations of Bhaal, one the Ravager, the second, the Slayer which is somewhat more potent than the Ravager.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the misphrase of demigod. Abdel had the essence of Bhaal in him the whole time. This would explain his ability to turn into the Ravager himself. I don't know what this could have done to him but it could be possible. I won't bother debating anymore cause certainly rules of the game is not my cup of tea, this is just what I think.

I personally didn't have any trouble with book 1 and book 3. Book 2 was the worst of the three but all three were fine to me. This are purely my opinions when I read them a while back and I still stick to them.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 08 Jun 2005 07:53:43
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  23:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

The BG series is horrible, not because it doesn't follow the game. This is not the point. It's the series not following D&D, that's THE POINT. If you read later on in BG2, there is one particular scene where the heroes fight a creature called the Ravager. An elven prince named Elhan attacks it with his moonblade and does nothing, and he ends up getting slaughtered. However, then we have Abdul come in with Yoshimo's katana (which is only a +1 katana), and cuts the monster to pieces.

Now anyone, regardless of playing BG or not, with a little D&D knowledge should know a moonblade should be more powerful than a minor +1 katana. It was stuff like this that made the series bad, not because. Also, you can't exactly compare the bloodshed in BG2: SOA and BG2: ToB, because they were written by two different novels.

Now that's criticism which I find useful! I think the thrust of my complaint was that books, games, movies, TV series, etc. all need to be evaluated upon their own merits; if they fail to adhere to a basic assumption of their core material, however (e.g., if there are three simultaneous Slayers in the Buffyverse, or Jean Valjean is a cold-blooded killer, or Rhett Butler a Yankee spy), then they fall apart and it's fair to rip them by citing the presumably canonical original material. If material isn't going to follow its "brand," it ought to have a different logo.

Wizards has gone to great lengths, however, to point out that the novels are not canonical -- they are all written from the perspective of someone who has an agenda, or who had a distorted viewpoint, or who added or subtracted details in order to spin a good yarn. I have not seen the 2E adventure modules for the Avatar Trilogy, but I expect them to differ from the novels in many ways (especially once PCs start running amok within their framework!). I do, however, expect them to keep fairly close to basic rules. If, as you say, Throne of Bhaal throws the rules out the window, then I agree that damning criticism is justified.

Still, I personally liked the style of what I read in the Amazon sample, and I will probably get around to buying it one of these days. Based on what you have said, however, I shall consider it merely a tale told by a storyteller, "full of sound and fury and signifying nothing" (at least as far as Realmslore is concerned).

What I found interesting from a reader's perspective is that on the first page the author rushed through Abdel's entire life story in a single paragraph, almost as if to say, "I've acknowledged all of that other stuff which I didn't write; now, thank Oghma, I can get on and write my own book!" That was my perception, anyway.

If the gods of the Realms didn't make such a nuisance of themselves, constantly popping up when they're not wanted, perhaps these novels which are being so roundly rejected might be mined by DMs as the source of bard's tales: "Now I shall tell you the story of the children of Bhaal, and of Abdel the Brave and his enchanted sword...."

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2005 :  23:55:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
Wizards has gone to great lengths, however, to point out that the novels are not canonical -- they are all written from the perspective of someone who has an agenda, or who had a distorted viewpoint, or who added or subtracted details in order to spin a good yarn.

WOTC has? Since when? There's nothing that says those novels, or any of the other FR novels, are not canon. There is only one set of novels that are not canon and those are the Double Diamond novelettes. Hells even Lost Empires mentions the Bhaalspawn now and in my FR FAQ I have an author of one of the BG novels saying yes they are canon. Also the novel list on the WOTC site does not say they are not canon. Lastly there were 2e stat's in Dragon for those chars and Dragon has always been canon for FR.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Jun 2005 00:01:54
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
Wizards has gone to great lengths, however, to point out that the novels are not canonical -- they are all written from the perspective of someone who has an agenda, or who had a distorted viewpoint, or who added or subtracted details in order to spin a good yarn.

WOTC has? Since when? There's nothing that says those novels, or any of the other FR novels, are not canon. There is only one set of novels that are not canon and those are the Double Diamond novelettes. Hells even Lost Empires mentions the Bhaalspawn now and in my FR FAQ I have an author of one of the BG novels saying yes they are canon. Also the novel list on the WOTC site does not say they are not canon. Lastly there were 2e stat's in Dragon for those chars and Dragon has always been canon for FR.

WHAT??? The double Diamond isn't cannon?? If there is a way to explain why without giving any spoilers please do so. If not, say so and I will go read them and then get back to you on this. Thanks!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:50:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In short . . .

1) Set too far into the future, restricted what might happen for future
writers.

2) RAS REALLY didn't like what they did to Artemis.

(The last, though true, may or may not have anything to do with the aforementioned apocryphal status)
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

In short . . .

writers.

(The last, though true, may or may not have anything to do with the aforementioned apocryphal status)

1. That's at the time of writing right? It's about the current year now?

2. Wow, I didn't realize Artemis shows up in those.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And to stay on topic, I LOVED the BG games. The story was AMAZING. The novels were't all bad. They could have been better, but meh, whatcha gonna do. At leat there WERE novels for the game (unlike NWN).

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  03:53:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never heard that the novels aren't cannon. The only thing I would say is that I have heard many say that if something is stated by a character its not cannon, just the character's opinion or view, but if it is stated in the narative, it can more or less be taken at face value.

Example:

A thousand years ago the city of X was destroyed with powerful magic.

Can be taken at face value.

"This city was destroyed a thousand years ago by a mighty spell," said X.

X could be wrong, may have a bad source, may be thinking of another city etc.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:17:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

In short . . .

writers.

1. That's at the time of writing right? It's about the current year now?

2. Wow, I didn't realize Artemis shows up in those.

Knight answered this and no, there's still 3 or 4 years to go before the events from those novelettes take place.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/lists

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Jun 2005 04:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:19:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never heard that the novels aren't cannon. The only thing I would say is that I have heard many say that if something is stated by a character its not cannon, just the character's opinion or view, but if it is stated in the narative, it can more or less be taken at face value.

Example:

A thousand years ago the city of X was destroyed with powerful magic.

Can be taken at face value.

"This city was destroyed a thousand years ago by a mighty spell," said X.

X could be wrong, may have a bad source, may be thinking of another city etc.

Then most of 1e's and 2e's lore isn't canon because it's penned by people living on/in Toril or the Planes. :) So I don't buy the "If it's penned by a NPC, it's not canon," line.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:46:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying that anything even remotely like that applies to sourcebooks, which are by definition the source from which we get lore.

I'm not even saying that officially you can't listen to characters in novels and consider what they say as official. I'm just saying that is how discreptancies are explained.

In other words, what they say could be official, but if something contradicts it, then they may have just gotten it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:54:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not saying that anything even remotely like that applies to sourcebooks, which are by definition the source from which we get lore.

I'm not even saying that officially you can't listen to characters in novels and consider what they say as official. I'm just saying that is how discreptancies are explained.

In other words, what they say could be official, but if something contradicts it, then they may have just gotten it wrong.

Except there's lore in the novels that does not appear in sourcebooks. :) or vice versa.

Furthermore novels hold just as much weight as sourcebooks. Hells the first published item for FR was a novel, except for the material that came out in Dragon before that. But Darkwalker on Moonshae beat the campaign box set by a month.

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Jun 2005 05:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  07:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The whole of Crucible was the product of a madman. His obsessions spill onto the page very often. Other narrators or central characters (including Harpers!) are often a few cards shy of a full deck (or have a few cards too many), and their biases and obsessions are also apparent. One of the very best pieces of Realms writing I have ever seen was the chronology in The Ruins of Zhentil Keep -- terse descriptions of terrorists like the Knights of Myth Drannor and Khelben Aronsun interfering in the government of sovereign jurisdictions year after year and preying on those who have done them no harm.

Although written in the third person and not a Realms book, Gene DeWeese's King of the Dead is extremely poignant. The reader has an omnisicient view of the life of a proto-Darklord, someone who just wanted to make sure that his realm and his people was safe and secure from bandits and rebels (and terrorists); in another time or place he would have been considered a national hero; instead, he is one of the great monsters of the D&D multiverse, even his name is lost to memory, only his sobriquet remaining: "Azalin" -- "Witch-King."

It's all in the eye of the beholder ... figuratively speaking.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  21:52:58  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I`ve played through BG2 and thrown of bhaal at least 5 times, so when I read the books I was horrified because not only did they twist several characters (minsc,elhan, Aran Lindvail etc) but they also left out approximately 90 PERCENT of what had happened in the game!! There was a lot more in the game that could have been added!!!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I`ve played through BG2 and thrown of bhaal at least 5 times, so when I read the books I was horrified because not only did they twist several characters (minsc,elhan, Aran Lindvail etc) but they also left out approximately 90 PERCENT of what had happened in the game!! There was a lot more in the game that could have been added!!!

You folks are sorely tempting me to buy the game now!

I have ordered the book and I hope to read it next week or the week after. Being ignorant of the game I shall weigh it on its own merits vis-a-vis written Realms material. The people on Amazon (and the perfunctory summary paragraph on page one or two) make it clear that this stands apart from the first two books, which were by a different writer, whom the game players really sautéed, so I won't be reading the first two (not for a long time anyway) -- I'll be weighing this in vacuo.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  00:04:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course the novels are different. :) They are BASED ON the games but they are not the games.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  01:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Query for those in the know then. Are the Double Diamond canon? Are the Baldur's Gate novels canon? I always thought that Double Diamond were canon but Baldur's Gate were not. Um, seriously though without delving into the definition of canon versus non-canon that crops up so often.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  02:06:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Query for those in the know then. Are the Double Diamond canon? Are the Baldur's Gate novels canon? I always thought that Double Diamond were canon but Baldur's Gate were not. Um, seriously though without delving into the definition of canon versus non-canon that crops up so often.

Bg's novels are canon. I have a author, WOTC's web site, Dragon magazine articles to "prove" it. Plus Lost Empires.

The Double Diamond are not since they are still 3 or 4 years from the current timeline. They are just a in game chap book writen by Volo, at least that's what WOTC's web site says.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  02:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje, that's actually fairly relevant for some research I'm planning on doing.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  09:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I think both Phil Athans and Drew Karphyshyn was really limited by the word count on the series. Besides, I don't think basing it on the game is really that important. I agree that more from the game could have been added. But once again, word count limit and such could have been a major factor. (since after all, all three books don't reach 300 pages)
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  17:57:05  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Word count limit 300 pages..........What kind of an idiot would seriously believe that a game the SIZE of baldurs gate:shadows of amn could be adequately described IN ONLY 300 PAGES?!!!!!!!!!!!

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  19:56:48  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
from Maskerade by Terry Pratchett, page 77 (paperback)
...And all those exclamation marks, you notice? ...A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.

Let's keep in mind that even if the writers in question had been given a lot more pages it would still have been a very bad idea to put in everything in the plot of a computer-game into a novel. Those wanting proof should read Krondor: the Betrayal by Raymond E Feist that includes a couple of plot-twist that's pretty much irrelevant to the story and just screams sidequest.

And furthermore, as Kuje said, they're based on the games, which means that the writers' job were to take what they liked about the plot of the book and turn it into a novel, not to write down everything that could happen to a character whilst playing it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  18:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
from Maskerade by Terry Pratchett, page 77 (paperback)
...And all those exclamation marks, you notice? ...A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.

Let's keep in mind that even if the writers in question had been given a lot more pages it would still have been a very bad idea to put in everything in the plot of a computer-game into a novel. Those wanting proof should read Krondor: the Betrayal by Raymond E Feist that includes a couple of plot-twist that's pretty much irrelevant to the story and just screams sidequest.

And furthermore, as Kuje said, they're based on the games, which means that the writers' job were to take what they liked about the plot of the book and turn it into a novel, not to write down everything that could happen to a character whilst playing it.

That's a good point, I don't buy a novel for a walkthrough of the game. I expect there to be dramatic differences between the novel and the game, or else you will end up with a tremendously boring, and often nonsensical novel.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  09:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finished reading it. It was ... er ... welll ... it had a good storyline. The delivery left a lot to be desired, though. I know that Athas wrote the first two, but since I don't have the game, they are the only means I may access to learn the earlier parts of the tale, so if any of you grumblers who are publicly asking yourselves why you still have them on your shelves want to get rid of them, I am always happy to accept donations.

I was tantalized by the mentions of Jon Irenicus. Is he well-presented in the first two books (or whichever one he is in, if he is only in one)? Is he an NPC in the game?

Having read it because I am fascinated by the concept of dead gods, my take on it is bound to be different from that of someone who came to the novels from the game, but I must say that I can see no reason why people should reject its canonical authority. In the end, except for a couple of cities laid waste and a bunch of people and dragons killed, the status quo ante is maintained.

One thing which irks me still: what the Heck was up with that solar or whatever it was in the Ao-brand robes? Gods are afraid to cross Ao, but this creature wasn't? Wasn't he paying attention in Tablets of Fate class? Doesn't he know what happens to angels (and gods) who follow their own inclinations instead of orders? The logical consequence from what it did was for it to be cast out of wherever it is Ao lives and then decide that all that yummy Bhaal goodness (I mean badness) is just what's needed to win its way back to Ao's dimension. "And there was war in Heaven...."

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 07 Jul 2005 09:50:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000