Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Class!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  04:20:15  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
So, what is everyone's favorite core class? (Just wondering)

Choices:

Barbarian
Bard
Cleric
Druid
Fighter
Monk
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Sorcerer
Wizard

(Anonymous Vote)

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."

Vorn Feykril
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  04:26:29  Show Profile  Visit Vorn Feykril's Homepage Send Vorn Feykril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there is one thing i've learned in the D&D world it would be that you really just can't go wrong with a good fighter.
Go to Top of Page

jebeddo
Seeker

Canada
69 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  04:53:41  Show Profile  Visit jebeddo's Homepage Send jebeddo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The purpose for this poll is basically to convince my DM to let me play the fourth wizard in our party of six. Yes, there's four wizards, the other two are a cleric and a druid (yes, we're so dead). One might comment on the need for fighters to complement our abilities, but we have two conjurers (hopefully they won't memorize melf's acid arrow instead of monster summoning II)!

"Only half-orcs rush in where devas fear to tread."
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I likes me a good cleric. However, if the DM is running more of a “kill it, loot it, rinse, repeat” game, I’ll play some variety of Thwacker.

Four Wizards, a cleric and a druid. If summon monster II is the best summon spell you have, your 3rd or 4th level? Wow. But if it makes you happy…I’m of the opinion that players should play what they want.

Of course, an entire party that was poor reflex saves…*evil grin* ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:28:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't vote, I like Rogue and Bard equally much. And if alternate core classes had been included the Swashbuckler class is great fun as well.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  05:33:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like fighters, sorcerers, and rogues (I still think of them as thieves) the best. If I had to pick one, I'd go for the fighter.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I like to play a good rogue or wizard, I seem to do better playing a cleric (odd, being a Discordian Agnostic as I am!).

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A discordian Pixie.

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:29:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Wizard.

As for the reason of my choice... It's rather unrelated to D&D actually. Rincewind sold me on the ideal that a wizard would be *cool*, and that was back in 1983. A short while before Raistlin, and a while longer before Elminster.

Of course, there was always Gandalf... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SomeDude
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  06:44:59  Show Profile  Visit SomeDude's Homepage Send SomeDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Rogue.

Rogues can make a huge impact both on and off the battle field.

example on the battle filed - Sneak Attack (duh)

example off the battle field - Fill in the blank: "Boy, one of us should have made a ________ for this dungeon crawl."

Not saying that rogue is the best class or anything, I just prefer to be able to do something in almost any situation (except maybe a mage-dual ).

This is the highest my post count has ever been.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  07:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im currently playing in 2 characters in Different campaigns

A Cleric of Bane in WLD Campaign (Aiming for the Dreadmaster PrC)

A Zenthyri Monk who will duel to Wizard (aiming for the Enlightened Fist Prc)in that other WOTC campaign setting starting with E

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  12:25:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give me rogues any day. They have a certain....panache.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  13:25:41  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Honestly Sirius, I had my house staked on you being a barbarian in disguise...

For me it's ranger. It was a tough one, as I also play a lot of clerics but ranger is probably my all time favourite class. And yes, the two characters I have on the go in campaigns are a cleric and a ranger.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  13:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I have to say in an FR campaign, Cleric hands down. The deities have always been my favorite part of the realms.

In a non-realms campaign, if I ever get forced into playing in one of course, I would go with a good old Dwarven Fighter.
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  14:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for ranger, mainly because one was my most favorite character back when I was a player instead of a DM, and I like the way the 3E rules develop them.

However, wizards and sorcerors are more powerful at the higher levels, but getting them to survive until that point is the problem! That's what the fighter-types are for; keep the hordes off the spellcasters so they can kill them off in bunches.

Hopefully a group made up of wizards, druids and clerics have lots and lots of summoning, charm and defensive spells, because they would certainly need them, especially if they are adventuring outdoors. That group would be hard pressed to take on the opponents my party has faced so far (bandit camps and orc raiders mostly).
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:05:46  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone seems to love Rangers in 3E
Personally I enjoy a base class with scope, so that's fighter, rogue and cleric.

The fighters can be set up so many different ways in terms of combat, with all the different fighting styles.

Rogues, , simply the best :D Most fun you can have with your trousers on. With all those skills you can do almost anything, obscene amounts of damage, and if you have plenty of magical toys or poisons in your back pocket, you can get your way out of anything.

Clerics - Roleplaying dream :) If you can think of a persona, guaranteed you can find a deity that fits it. With the wealth of different abilities, feats, prestige classes, and the scope even with a cleric of a certain deity to roleplay that class, is phenomenal.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:38:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druids are a class I've just never understood... I can't see a person who's all about nature being that much of an adventurer.

Clerics are another class that's never appealed to me. I'm not really sure why, but something about the divine aspect of clerics bugs me. I've played clerics before, but all but one of them were multiclassed (usually figher-clerics), with less emphasis on the clerical side.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:15:13  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will say that having a fighter,you can't go wrong.I always enjoyed playing Rogues.Especially either assassins or just plain old catburgler.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  16:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A druid's motivation for adventuring has to be fairly personal, I'd think. Something on the level of restoring the balance in the wilderness, or protecting some group of people his deity is the patron of, something like that. Just going out to look for gold and adventure is harder to justify for a druid than any other class, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  17:25:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Druids are a class I've just never understood... I can't see a person who's all about nature being that much of an adventurer.

In some ways Druids are an artifat of the games founding, where they certainly were concerned about more then trees and nature. They were law givers, warband leaders, and priests concerned with community of followers. As for adventuring with in the game as they are now written the adventuring does tend to seek to maintain a balance of elements (including good and evil) as well as being tree huggers and defenders of nature. There is enough flexablity to justify a Drird being a traveler to maintain a sense of balance, to defend the natural order of things, to find other spots of nature that might be in danger.

quote:

Clerics are another class that's never appealed to me. I'm not really sure why, but something about the divine aspect of clerics bugs me. I've played clerics before, but all but one of them were multiclassed (usually figher-clerics), with less emphasis on the clerical side.

Hmm, certainly to play a straight Cleric well one needs to adhere to some kind of religious code. Some of them certainly do not agree with a players personal belief on several points (if not all points). This might matter more to some that put more of their personal belief into RPing a character. I do know that I tend to avoid certain described dieties if playing a Cleric, though some of that could be to maintain party unity. Try travel with a Cleric that needs to sacifice a sentinal creatue once a month and at the time only party members are only canidates *wink*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  20:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never let real life beliefs and religion interfere with my roleplaying. I can see why it would be more of an issue for some people but I love playing clerics even though, or perhaps because, my real world religious beliefs are basically non-existant.

Druids, however, are a class I've never been atrracted to. Rangers, yes; clerics of nature deities, yes; druids, no.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  21:26:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I've never let real life beliefs and religion interfere with my roleplaying. I can see why it would be more of an issue for some people but I love playing clerics even though, or perhaps because, my real world religious beliefs are basically non-existant.

Druids, however, are a class I've never been atrracted to. Rangers, yes; clerics of nature deities, yes; druids, no.

Why is that? I myself vastly prefer druids to clerics.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  21:46:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne
Why is that? I myself vastly prefer druids to clerics.

What makes druids more appealing to you than clerics?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  22:09:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I've never let real life beliefs and religion interfere with my roleplaying.

It's not that my beliefs interfere, it's just that I've seen little appeal in playing a religious type.

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  22:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the spirit of being negative ( ), I’ll list what I don’t like about each class:

Barbarian: No flexibility in class development. Every barbarian has the same thing at the same level. Also, Barbarian isn’t a class, it’s a culture thing. The whole barbarian class could be replaced with feats: A feat for increased hit die, a feat to rage, and a feat for faster movement. Granted, it would be harder to make a dwarven barbarian at first level, but that’s not such a bad thing.

Bard. Classwise, there is nothing wrong with the bard. It’s perfect for what it is. However, if you happen to find yourself in a combat intensive game, skip the bard. Also, I don’t think that bard needs its own class. Any person with ranks in Perform should be able to call themselves a bard. Or, perhaps as a prestige class. Bardic Knowledge is one of the best class features in the game, IMO.

Cleric: Any full, non-spontaneous spell caster has plenty of flexibility, and the Cleric is the top echelon of multi-function spells. I do feel that they are a little typecast as warrior types, with their heavy armor proficiency. However, I’ve found that swapping out Heavy Armor for another feat works rather well. And, giving a lower hit die in exchange for more skill points per level also seems to work.

Druid: Almost the same problem as the barbarian, except they are a full caster, and the wild shape ability helps a lot. It’s a good class, but for some reason, they’ve never quite appealed to me.

Fighter: The main problem with the fighter is the fact that they can’t do anything but fight, jump, climb and swim. They can’t even Spot. Fighter is great for level dipping.

Monk: Almost the same problem as the barbarian. Except, the Monk needs a LOT more stats to be effective. Sure, the Monk gives you some bonus feats to choose from, but it’s a really, really, really, really, small list of feats to choose from. The class is almost totally useless if your small. Unearthed Arcana gives a variety of monk styles, changing out abilities at certain levels, leaving you with a much different monk, and this, IMO saves the monk class.

Paladin: Same problem as the barbarian. Even with the option from UA of allowing Paladins of different alignments, they still all smell the same. Actually, despite this, the Paladin is a great class, the only damaging thing is that they have that staggeringly bizarre multiclassing restriction.

Ranger: Exact same complaint as the barbarian, the monk and the paladin. Most Rangers are the same as other Rangers, except that they have a great skill selection (and points) giving a nice variety. Options, such as the urban ranger and non-spellcasting Ranger go a long way for this class.

Rogue: Despite their very structured class advancement, their HUGE list of skills and skill points make the rogue amazingly flexible. Also, almost all of their class abilities are amazingly useful. The rogue ties with the cleric for near perfection in class structure.

Sorcerer: If your playing a beer n pretzels game; they make great hurlers of death. If you want to toss some arcane mystery into your character, a level of sorcerer helps. Um…yea…otherwise….

Wizard: A full caster with a mild selection of bonus feats. The wizard is pretty cool, although I’d like to see them have a few more innate class features, like figuring out magic items without using spells, more options for spell slots besides spells and more familiar options. Not that I have any options at the moment though.

Extra Note: Yes, I realize some classes are very structured and that was a complaint of mine. I also understand that the Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, Monk, Druid are all classes build around a niche and them being structured is part of that.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Tanyn Midrain
Acolyte

Sweden
27 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  23:21:01  Show Profile  Visit Tanyn Midrain's Homepage Send Tanyn Midrain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked the druid. One of the reasons is that is was the first character I ever played in a campaign. Secondly, I think they are one of the better survivors in the game, pretty good in combat, healing and other useful spells, and wild shape, which can help in almost any situation.
And then I've always loved nature, and thus to play a character so finely attuned with it was great joy.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  02:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked wizard. Love sitting back casting spells to decimate the enemy ranks while the fighters do all the dirty work.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  20:55:01  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our group of players seems to run against the trend of others.
Seems multiclassing is quite popular, but we rarely (if ever) do.
Wizards are more popular than sorcerors, Barbarians more popular than fighters (opposite in our campaign).

ummm....thats it :)
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  01:17:44  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paladin for me, at least recently. At the beginning? Maybe fighter, but there were a lot of rogues and rogue/wizards in there too and at least two very memorable druids. I think the only class I've never played is barbarian. For some reason it just never appealed to me.

-Blue

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  02:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

A discordian Pixie.

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

Hail Eris, All hail Discordia! And Puck!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  03:58:19  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

A discordian Pixie.

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

Hail Eris, All hail Discordia! And Puck!

And the mental image of a pixie sneaking off every friday to partake of a plain hot dog is just great. heheh.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000