Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  01:28:39  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I find Avatars just as appealing as the Gods that they serve, what novels are there that "showcase" Avatars?

Example: What Book does Mystra's Avatar appear a decent amount? (Again, example. Don't know if one exsists like that.)

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  01:38:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster's novels, she appears the most. :) Except of course the ToT's novels.

BTW, 3/3.5e material kinda screwed with some of the deities because if they don't have the avatar SDA, then they can't have avatars. Like Azuth for instance, he had avatars that have met with Elminster but per the new rules as written it's impossible.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  01:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tis rather odd. I thought all deities essentially could, if they wishes, have an avatar or two (or more.)

But I wasn't just asking about her, just Avatars in General.

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  01:46:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

Tis rather odd. I thought all deities essentially could, if they wishes, have an avatar or two (or more.)

But I wasn't just asking about her, just Avatars in General.

They could until 3/3.5e changed that, now if they don't have the SDA they can't. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy Hullabaloo! You're right Kuje! I never noticed that before now!

I don't like that one bit!

IIRC, they used to could have 10 avatars under the old rules.

Under the new rules it requires the use of an SDA, it takes a year to create and minimum of DVR 6. Wow! That is some serious nerfing!

Now up til now I have generally liked what I have read of Deities and Demigods, and I have appreciated what they were trying to do by codifying the rules for gods, although I haven't needed to use the mechanics and so I had not read through the book too closely. It's not in my character to criticize the good folks at WotC or the designers of 3E, and I don't think anyone can ever site an instance of me complaining about a change they made from 2e to 3e. But I finally found one I don't care for.

I am a little stunned at this one. I have always thought of gods as these transcendent beings that would require an avatar(s) in order to interact with mortals.

Hmmm, they have seriously changed that for 3E, and I am having difficulty wrapping my brain around that for the moment!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  06:33:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Holy Hullabaloo! You're right Kuje! I never noticed that before now!

I don't like that one bit!

IIRC, they used to could have 10 avatars under the old rules.

Under the new rules it requires the use of an SDA, it takes a year to create and minimum of DVR 6. Wow! That is some serious nerfing!

Now up til now I have generally liked what I have read of Deities and Demigods, and I have appreciated what they were trying to do by codifying the rules for gods, although I haven't needed to use the mechanics and so I had not read through the book too closely. It's not in my character to criticize the good folks at WotC or the designers of 3E, and I don't think anyone can ever site an instance of me complaining about a change they made from 2e to 3e. But I finally found one I don't care for.

I am a little stunned at this one. I have always thought of gods as these transcendent beings that would require an avatar(s) in order to interact with mortals.

Hmmm, they have seriously changed that for 3E, and I am having difficulty wrapping my brain around that for the moment!

Yup. :) I've had this debate with someone on the WOTC boards before and it turned heated. It's a silly and odd change that added another nail that I hated to FR's retcons. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  16:22:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's part of the reason I tend to disregard Faiths & Pantheons.

Personally, I think that that retcon sucks out a lot of the flavor of the gods. They've always been able to manifest at least one avatar in the past, but now they have to take a special feat to do it? Bah, I say. I think that all deities should have that ability as a built-in feature of their godhood.

So out with the 3E deity rules, in with the 2E rules.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  16:27:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Personally, I think that that retcon sucks out a lot of the flavor of the gods. They've always been able to manifest at least one avatar in the past, but now they have to take a special feat to do it? Bah, I say. I think that all deities should have that ability as a built-in feature of their godhood.

Yes, forgive me, but if and when I become a God one day, I prefer to think that I won't have to worry about "Gee, I hope I have this feat before I do this action."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  16:53:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Yes, forgive me, but if and when I become a God one day, I prefer to think that I won't have to worry about "Gee, I hope I have this feat before I do this action."

If you do become a deity, I'll be sure to send you a copy of my newest book, Godhood for Dummies. That should help you learn any feats you need.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Apr 2005 17:03:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  17:31:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ditto to both of you, which is why I stick with the 2e rules as well. And don't get me started on the damn one step rule. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  19:37:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you do become a deity, I'll be sure to send you a copy of my newest book, Godhood for Dummies. That should help you learn any feats you need.

Great, I'm a God, but I get to read a book filled with a bunch of crunch apparently.

Being a God would suck then.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  22:41:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Great, I'm a God, but I get to read a book filled with a bunch of crunch apparently.

Being a God would suck then.

Not if you were the God of Crunchiness.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  23:35:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are lines and you just crossed one with me.

So, unless you wish me to sic my avatar down on you...
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  00:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There are lines and you just crossed one with me.

So, unless you wish me to sic my avatar down on you...

What Avatar? You don't have that special ability ;)

Go to Top of Page

Sholnfete
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Sholnfete's Homepage Send Sholnfete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's odd for it gives avatar descriptions in Faiths and Pantheons so I had assumed it was the same as always. Anyway why not just play 3/3.5 and do what you want, if I want my deities to have avatars then they have avatars; books are too limiting.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us from every corner.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:45:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sholnfete

That's odd for it gives avatar descriptions in Faiths and Pantheons so I had assumed it was the same as always. Anyway why not just play 3/3.5 and do what you want, if I want my deities to have avatars then they have avatars; books are too limiting.

Only the deities that have the avatar SDA have avatars listed in that sourcebook. You'll notice Azuth doesn't have info on avatar's in that book since he doesn't have the SDA. :)

Go to Top of Page

Yggdrasil
Acolyte

Thailand
12 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  05:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Yggdrasil's Homepage Send Yggdrasil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never notice that before, I feel like just knowing santa doesn't exist once more

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
-Mae West

Edited by - Yggdrasil on 17 Apr 2005 05:11:51
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  05:37:51  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje you better double check you character sheet and make sure you have that feat before trying to sick it on Wooley. ^_^

I also disagree with that ruling, magically all my gods got the ability to create Avatars. Except for the one's not known to have one which was I think like ONE god I can't even recall the name of at the moment.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Songrimm
Acolyte

Germany
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  01:47:39  Show Profile  Visit Songrimm's Homepage Send Songrimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know for sure, but arent the gods supposed to appear in avatar form when they go to the cyronosure(sp?), becaus they must manage their day to day work in the meantime?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  01:53:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

I dont know for sure, but arent the gods supposed to appear in avatar form when they go to the cyronosure(sp?), becaus they must manage their day to day work in the meantime?

The Player's Guide just says that the deities can go there. It makes no mention of thier avatars, so by this I assume the deity itself travels there if they have no avatars....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  05:39:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by Songrimm

The Player's Guide just says that the deities can go there. It makes no mention of thier avatars, so by this I assume the deity itself travels there if they have no avatars....

Of course, if the majority of the deity's essence is presently engaged elsewhere in some dire situation and cannot presently access the Cynosure, I suppose an avatar form could be utilised.

But this would be highly unlikely.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  05:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was under the Impression that only lesser powers and above could create avatars ie even back in the days of 2ed Demi Powers when they appeared where ALWAYS the God themselves as lacked lacked the power to create Avatars (or have their own Home plane)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  05:59:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Of course, if the majority of the deity's essence is presently engaged elsewhere in some dire situation and cannot presently access the Cynosure, I suppose an avatar form could be utilised.

But what if they don't have avatars? :)

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  06:01:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I was under the Impression that only lesser powers and above could create avatars ie even back in the days of 2ed Demi Powers when they appeared where ALWAYS the God themselves as lacked lacked the power to create Avatars (or have their own Home plane)

Nay, Faiths & Avatars, page 17, "Most demipowers can use but one avatar at a time."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  08:26:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I suppose if a deity become truly desparate, he or she could always send a proxy .

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Apr 2005 08:27:40
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  16:30:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I suppose if a deity become truly desparate, he or she could always send a proxy .

Cheap! But I guess I'll let that slide :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  05:13:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Cheap! But I guess I'll let that slide :)

Seriously though, if a situation was so dire as to necessitate the attendence of all powers in the Realms, Ao would surely have some method of contacting all the deities in Realmspace even if they could not manifest an avatar.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  05:34:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seriously though, if a situation was so dire as to necessitate the attendence of all powers in the Realms, Ao would surely have some method of contacting all the deities in Realmspace even if they could not manifest an avatar.

'Tis a good point. I don't think Ao would let someone duck out of one of his staff meetings with an excuse like "Sorry, big guy, but I can't attend until I learn this feat..."

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  06:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether I can use that as an excuse to avoid my meeting today at work...

"Sorry Boss, don't have the SDA for that, I took Divine Blast instead. Can you wait another three levels?"

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  06:31:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Tis a good point. I don't think Ao would let someone duck out of one of his staff meetings with an excuse like "Sorry, big guy, but I can't attend until I learn this feat..."

Thinking about this further, if Ao truly is a neutral entity, I suppose he could make use of 'translators'. Translators, first introduced in the PSMC I, are shining silver spheres about 3' in diameter that carry important messengers for the powers of neutrality. They can speak in any language, and exist primarily to serve the powers.

If Ao needed to quickly relay an important message about an impending event to many of the demigods or other lesser powers, he could send out groups of these translators who then ferry the message to each of the domains of each power.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  06:32:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

I wonder whether I can use that as an excuse to avoid my meeting today at work...

"Sorry Boss, don't have the SDA for that, I took Divine Blast instead. Can you wait another three levels?"

Let us know how that works out for you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000