Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Valor
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  02:20:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
SKR had this to say on some other, trifling Boards that never focus enough on the Realms ...

FYI, Champions of Valor draws on some of the BOED, but it's much more than just "the Book of Exalted Deeds translated to/crammed into FR." It does spend some time talking about what it is to be a valorous hero in FR (rather than just a good character), but it also gives a bunch of new feats, spells, magic items, new character regions (like "raised by the church of Selūne" as your region, no matter what country you're in), large and small writeups of valorous organizations in the Realms, substitution levels for many of those organization, a handful of prestige classes (yes, really only a handful), valorous locations, valorous NPCs (for cohorts or contacts), and valorous-appropriate creatures (like alternate paladin mounts). It's a book for PCs who want to run valorous characters and a book for DMs on how to run campaigns with valorous characters.

I can't wait to see/hear more.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  02:57:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

SKR had this to say on some other, trifling Boards that never focus enough on the Realms ...

I love your description of this other board. Is SKR the sole designer for this tome? One of many?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  03:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a "valorous" book, George. I can't wait to read it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  03:54:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hear that they also do mean things to small furry animals.

quote:

FYI, Champions of Valor draws on some of the BOED, but it's much more than just "the Book of Exalted Deeds translated to/crammed into FR." It does spend some time talking about what it is to be a valorous hero in FR (rather than just a good character), but it also gives a bunch of new feats, spells, magic items, new character regions (like "raised by the church of Selūne" as your region, no matter what country you're in), large and small writeups of valorous organizations in the Realms, substitution levels for many of those organization, a handful of prestige classes (yes, really only a handful), valorous locations, valorous NPCs (for cohorts or contacts), and valorous-appropriate creatures (like alternate paladin mounts). It's a book for PCs who want to run valorous characters and a book for DMs on how to run campaigns with valorous characters.

-- George Krashos

That sounds really good... I hope to see some info on the Tel'Teukiira, and it would be nice to know if there were any other major good-guy groups wandering around (other than the Harpers, of course).

I wonder if there's also going to be a Champions of Balance book?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  04:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of a Champions of Balance is about as marketable as the Book of Neutrality postulated to follow up BoVD and BoED; the odds of a Book of "Meh" ever coming out were very low according to the WotC folks at last year's Gen Con.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  05:04:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...large and small writeups of valorous organizations in the Realms
[...]
...a handful of prestige classes (yes, really only a handful)...
Do we know whether these few PrCs will be tied to the organisations presented?

quote:
...valorous locations...
Well, it looks like my other idea for the Compendium is now out... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  06:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I love your description of this other board. Is SKR the sole designer for this tome? One of many?

Thats actually rather interesting

I heard that Thomas reid was one of the authors of CoV, I wasnt aware that Sean was working on any WOTC (outside of the web articles I think the last thing Sean worked on for the FR was Races of Faerun)

So Thomas do you have a partner in crime for the CoV?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  06:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Sean add this

WotC released the remainder of its 2005 schedule yesterday. FYI, Champions of Valor is the book I was finishing these past two months. I don't think I'm allowed to talk about it yet, but I'll answer questions about it when I'm allowed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  13:26:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sean and Thomas wrote it. I pitched in a little bit.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  17:08:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Sean and Thomas wrote it. I pitched in a little bit.

--Eric

Thanks EB for the clarification.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  17:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Champions of Valor will draw in some of the BoED, problably Champions of Ruin will draw in some of the BoVD, right?!?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2005 :  22:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And upon seeing the emminent writers contributing to thine book of goodly valor he did declare "It is good."

Seriously though, sounds very, very promising. Start saving cedar shavings Wooly.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  00:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, they will.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  05:44:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

Yes, they will.

Thomas

Ah.

That's good to hear. So there'll be some significant fluff to support their use in campaigns.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  12:14:06  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the approximate release date for CoV?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  13:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

The 4th of November 2005

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  14:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

11/4/2005

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  22:26:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not soon enough.

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2005 :  22:28:48  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, they will.

Thomas

Will they be in the same format as LEoF prestige classes? i.e with all the extra goodness info wise of how to utilise them in a campaign etc?

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 25 Mar 2005 22:29:23
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  18:00:15  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar
Will they be in the same format as LEoF prestige classes? i.e with all the extra goodness info wise of how to utilise them in a campaign etc?

Yes. That is called the new "fat" PrC format, which is popping up in both core D&D and now FR products. It is the new standard, AFAIK.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  18:39:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes. That is called the new "fat" PrC format, which is popping up in both core D&D and now FR products. It is the new standard, AFAIK.

Thomas

That is welcome news. Lost Empires of Faerūn was the first time I actually enjoyed reading PrCs.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  19:32:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thomas

Fat format? That your term or did someone else coin it? Regardless, I'm delighted to hear that this format is now standard. As Wooly noted, it makes the Prestige Classes much more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  23:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fat format? That your term or did someone else coin it? Regardless, I'm delighted to hear that this format is now standard. As Wooly noted, it makes the Prestige Classes much more interesting.

WotC folks coined it. And yes, it does make them much more interesting to read. And a couple of days to design.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2005 :  23:33:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
WotC folks coined it. And yes, it does make them much more interesting to read. And a couple of days to design.

Thomas

This fan appreciates the results of those extra couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  03:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thomas

This fan appreciates the results of those extra couple of days.

As do I. Adding flavor to PrCs makes them a lot more interesting -- and thus a lot more likely to be played. I think it's a worthy trade-off.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  15:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Adding flavor to PrCs makes them a lot more interesting -- and thus a lot more likely to be played. I think it's a worthy trade-off.

I don't disagree. They are much more complete this way. But if I never had to create another PrC (or feat, or substitution level, etc.) again, I wouldn't be unhappy. I know they are popular and help sell books, and I know on which side my bread is buttered, but being a prose guy, I much prefer the flavor text to the crunchy bits. It's far more personally gratifying.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  16:22:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Adding flavor to PrCs makes them a lot more interesting -- and thus a lot more likely to be played. I think it's a worthy trade-off.

I don't disagree. They are much more complete this way. But if I never had to create another PrC (or feat, or substitution level, etc.) again, I wouldn't be unhappy. I know they are popular and help sell books, and I know on which side my bread is buttered, but being a prose guy, I much prefer the flavor text to the crunchy bits. It's far more personally gratifying.

Thomas

Well, I very much prefer the lore in the books, and it'd not bother me at all if they stop cramming in feats and PrCs, and used that space for more lore. But they won't do that -- so making the crunch interesting to read is the next best thing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  16:42:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thomas

Then I am enjoying this new format.

Reading about the Cultist of the Shattered Peak PrC was the first time, in a long time, that I actually enjoyed reading about a new class as well as the stats and abilities that went with it. The support material made the class feel like it actually was a part of the Realms, and that was a plus in my book.

I look forward to this continuing trend.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2005 :  18:39:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I know they are popular and help sell books, and I know on which side my bread is buttered, but being a prose guy, I much prefer the flavor text to the crunchy bits. It's far more personally gratifying.

Thomas

You're preaching to the choir here on that subject.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  01:54:49  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

valorous locations, valorous NPCs

*sniffles*

Guess that scratchs off my favorite moonblade wielding fighter/rogue female elf.

Maybe next year during the elf push?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  01:39:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance you we could get higher level versions of the Faith Healing in CoV?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page