Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Greenwood Novels (recommended order)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  23:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have been gaming in the realms since 2nd Edition but I was a late bloomer when it came to the novels. I just started reading the novels last year and I've actually knocked down a lot of them (40 or so). Since it's Ed Greenwoods world I figure I really need to read his stuff and I'm wondering what order it's recommended to read them.

I've read the Shadril's Saga, the Time of Troubles Novels, and the Cormyr Saga. I'm specifically looking now towards the Elminster Series and the Shadows of the Avatar series.

Out of the two series, what should I read first? And, is there any other MUST series that I need to read before either of these two?

Thanks in advance.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  00:53:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read the ToT's novels then I'd do the Shadow ones 1st since they tie in to that event. :) But that's my opinion.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  01:14:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Out of the two series, what should I read first? And, is there any other MUST series that I need to read before either of these two?

Nope, just read what you want. :) I liked both the Elminster and Shadow of the Avatar series--it's hard for me to recommend one series over another, so I'll just say pick one and whatever you pick will be a great read.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  01:21:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'd say if you've already read the Avatar books, definitely read Ed's Shadows trilogy next.
Otherwise, five Elminster books later, your head will be spinning trying to sort out all the characters, details, chronological jumps, flashbacks, and suchlike.
Take it from one who "lived through" most of it. Ed certainly makes it . . . interesting.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  03:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definately Shadow of the Avatar next...then go for the Elminster series...and grab Silverfall while you're at it
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  05:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recommend reading his novels in the order they were published. That's always your best bet.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  16:53:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I recommend reading his novels in the order they were published. That's always your best bet.

I couldn't disagree more. When authors decided to jump backwards in a setting's or character's past, how does it make sense to read in that order?

No, I always favor reading books in the chronological order. Not only does it keep the overall story flowing better, but it also makes for a more interesting read -- you're following the character or story from the beginning to the end, not starting in the middle and wandering backwards and forwards.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  19:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While others find it more interesting to follow the narrative of the author's development as a writer and of their ideas; and certainly fiction that's written deliberately nonlinearly is not inherently worse than simple A-to-B narratives.

You can only find out which way you prefer by trying both. In this case I'd recommend the Shadow of the Avatar books next, as well.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  19:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I couldn't disagree more. When authors decided to jump backwards in a setting's or character's past, how does it make sense to read in that order?

No, I always favor reading books in the chronological order. Not only does it keep the overall story flowing better, but it also makes for a more interesting read -- you're following the character or story from the beginning to the end, not starting in the middle and wandering backwards and forwards.

I tend to agree with this philosophy and read books in chronological order. However, I'm under the assumption that the Elminster Series starts before Shadows of the Avatar and extends to present day faerun. Is this assumption correct?

Although I tend to read books in chronological order I will do so by series. For example, I won't read books one and two of Shadows of the Avatar then jump to Elminster and then back to Elminster. I would read one series to completion before picking up the next.

Because of replies from the above posters, I plan on reading Shadows of the Avatar first.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  19:54:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
I tend to agree with this philosophy and read books in chronological order. However, I'm under the assumption that the Elminster Series starts before Shadows of the Avatar and extends to present day faerun. Is this assumption correct?

Yes the Elminster books span at least a thousand years. :) But there are major gaps between the books because he was elsewhere, in stasis, rising some of the Seven, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Mar 2005 19:55:27
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  00:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see everyone's points. I guess the RAS books sell my opinion for me. Reading Dark Elf before Crystal Shard can lead to tons of continuity frustration. The journal entries in the Dark Elf books could also lead to a bit of confusion, because the Dark Elf trilogy is set up as Drizzt telling the story of his past. Also, reading Elminster: Making of a Mage might not be as enjoyable for someone who hasn't read Spellfire. I say this because by the time Making of a Mage came out, everyone knew enough about Elminster to be truly interested in his history. Of course, those who haven't read Spellfire would disagree, and those who read Making before Spellfire would disagree, because those people don't know any other way of looking at those books.

Books set in the past are set up as prequels. The very idea of a prequel suggests that the reader is aware of what happens later in the timeline. It might seem logical to read the books in order of chronology, but the authors didn't intend for them to be read that way, and most readers will notice that as they read.

By reading in order of publication, you're tuning into the authors' stream of awareness concerning his/her characters. That progression is important, I think. Reading the books by timeline chronology can lead to minor moments of confusion, that, though insignificant, can be avoided by looking at the publication date. A lot of the time, to understand the past, one must understand the present, and in some cases in literature, the future as well, if that makes sense.

Concerning the Avatar books, I recommend reading the original Avatar series first. There's a big gap in the Avatar books where Elminster goes missing, and the heroes of the Avatar books are accused. That mystery is solved in the Shadow of the Avatar series, where we learn exactly what happened to Elminster during that time. By reading the Shadow series first, that whole mystery is unravelled in reverse order, and it could be awkward. Of course, for those who read the Shadow series first, that realization would have been lost, and the true unravelling of that mystery would have also been lost (whether the reader realizes it or not). Secondly, I didn't like the Avatar series at all, so getting that one out of the way allows one to completely and fully enjoy and understand the Shadow series, because, after all, the Shadow series came out five years after the Avatar series, and was meant to be read after the Avatar series, which seems pretty clear to me.

Reading the novels outside the publication order is like doing a maze backwards. It can be fun, and one can accomplish something by doing it, but you're not really engaging in that activity in the way it was meant to be experienced, are you?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

Edited by - Crust on 07 Mar 2005 00:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  02:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

Concerning the Avatar books, I recommend reading the original Avatar series first.

Thanks for the input. However, the two series in question were Shadows of the Avatar and the Elminster Series. I have already read the Avatar Series (and the Shandril Saga in case that would be your next suggestion).

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  02:36:39  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah... Thanks for that... I was inclined to respond after seeing the Avatar books mentioned by The Hooded One.

I'd polish off the first three Elminster books before getting into the Shadows series. In the case of the Elminster series, it's probably better to get the whole story before picking up on the "current" Elminster.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  03:04:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crust, I find the continuity more jarring when I read the books outside of the chronological order. As I said above, I don't see how it makes sense to hop all around in a story line, rather than follow it from the time it starts until the time it ends.

To use your maze example, I think that reading by order of publication is to start in the middle of the maze, find your way to the beginning, and then work your way to the end.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  03:06:57  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say Shadow, but that's only because my favorite Knight is in it.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  23:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think continuity matters *that* much. Also, I read and very much enjoyed Shadow of the Avatar without having even read the Avatar trilogy yet, and I don't think I missed anything, though it helped to know what many of the key Time of Troubles events were.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000