Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Seeking input on complex campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  07:10:03  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings all....

I'm sort of a new poster, but check my post in the "introductions" forum and you'll see that I'm far from new at DMing and such. So most of the general DM advice is old hat to me. What I'm struggling with now is twofold... but first let me set the stage:

In this FR campaign, the players first fought a minor Talonan priestess who had been bossing a goblin tribe around to terrorize a small hamlet in the Dalelands. The priestess sought the location of the ruins of an ancient Netherese wizard tower, which the players eventually found to be buried under the hamlet's small shrine to Lathander. The tower, after they cleaned it out, became their secret base of operations for a couple of reasons - one, a functioning complex of seven fixed gates, and two, a well-stocked and magically-preserved research library.

Later, they were messing about in Waterdeep, buying items and selling their loot, running the Blue Alley, and other miscellany. They got invited to a noble house's party, at which the patriarch's wife was assassinated. They quickly figured out who the assassin was despite my best efforts at obfuscation and red-herring-ing, and discovered that the woman was targeted due to knowledge she had about a monastery in Unther, ostensibly dedicated to Helm, but in reality a front for a yuan-ti house. Interrogation of the assassin revealed his contact in Baldur's Gate, who had contracted the hit.

The players, through creative usage of scrying, got the jump on the assassin's contact (a priest of Tiamat(!), posing as a priest of Helm) and captured him for trial. Charges were brought (in Waterdeep), and the false priest was sentenced to death. Unfortunately, during the night, a quintet of chromatic dragons attacked Waterdeep, dividing their fury between the castle prisons and the players, who managed to kill three of them with no assistance (although a resurrection was required for one of them... heh). Also unfortunately, this attack enabled the false priest to escape.

For their valor in defending the city, defeating 3/5ths of its invaders, they were awarded medals by the Lords of Waterdeep. After the ceremony, they were approached by a mysterious Maztican woman (a sorceress/rainbow servant), who claimed to have been sent by her "teacher" (a couatl sorcerer, unbeknownst to the group) to assist the party against the Scaled Ones. Since then, they have been assaulted by groups of ophidian fighters in the middle of the night.

WHEW! I know that's a lot of rather condensed junk to read. My plans are obviously to have the party face off against a strange alliance of yuan-ti and Tiamat clergy... which will eventually lead to them combatting the sarrukh of Okoth (or perhaps Oreme, I haven't decided). On the party's side are at least one couatl and the un-corrupted church of Helm (except perhaps the Amnian branch, if they find out about the party's link to a Maztican activist... hehehehehe).

So..... What I would like input on are two things:

1.) What big, evil plot should the alliance of Tiamat-ites and yuan-ti (and sarrukh) be planning that is valuable enough to sacrifice five mature adult dragons in a daring Waterdeep raid to protect the KNOWLEDGE of? Maybe a lost set of Nether Scrolls?? An artifact?? Mass chaos in multiple cities to further erode the church of Helm's reputation???

2.) I would like to also involve the aearee and batrachi in this plot... either as allies to the party, mysterious neutrals, or even (in the batrachi's case) a separate group of enemies seeking the object in question... My problem is that there is only EXTREMELY sketchy information on both Creator Races. I would like these races to be on a par, power-wise, with the sarrukh (a tall order). However, the only idea I have concerning the aearee is to use the "chronotryn" as a base and tweak them heavily. As to the batrachi, I'm still debating... (Personally, I'm against the "batrachi became Slaad" theory... I just don't like it.)

So.... input away!!!
If it helps, I use 99%-pure WOTC sources, and I *do* use the newest Psionics rules.

Thanks!
oldskool
aka Darklight

DM: "You see a gazebo ahead of you."
Player: "What is it doing? I draw my weapon and charge!"
DM: "It's not doing anything. It's a gazebo."
Player: "Oh.. um. Then I'll cast a fireball at it!"

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  14:54:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) A plot to empower the scaled ones. Perhaps an Artifact that grants those with scales inate psionic ability as if has level one (without requirment to take the) psionic class. Of course perhaps a desease to kill two leggers without scale being investigate/develped. The longer kept hidden the harder it will be to cure. It certainly needs to be a common cause for all of them, not something that helps one group far more then another.
Hmm perhaps artifact that grants whatever power is in different locations and needs to be brought together to work. Thus of course the seach must not be revealed. Maybe even the Waterdeep raid was more about getting one peice, just nobody noticed.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  17:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you really, really tied to the idea of the aearie and batrachi creater races for your story? The fey are also mentioned as a possible creator race and the Leshay from the Epic Level Handbook make a wonderful creator race for them, as has been mentioned here on another thread. (could I say creator race any more times in such a short paragraph?) They have a CR 28.
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  23:34:20  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

Are you really, really tied to the idea of the aearie and batrachi creater races for your story? The fey are also mentioned as a possible creator race and the Leshay from the Epic Level Handbook make a wonderful creator race for them, as has been mentioned here on another thread. (could I say creator race any more times in such a short paragraph?) They have a CR 28.

Actually, I am really tied to them. I remember WAY back in the gray FR box set (or thereabouts, I may be wrong) reading a tantalizing bit about the "avian, reptilian, and amphibious" Creator Races who ruled Faerun in the mists of time. That tiny bit of text really galvanized my imagination (it's weird what things really grab you), and when Serpent Kingdoms came out, I went about 50 times more loopy attached to the idea.

Also, I've always liked the aarakocra for some reason, and to some extent the bullywugs (and grippli). BTW, has anyone made 3rd edition stats for the grippli? I miss those little frog guys.

The implication that the aearee may still be active on the continent of Anchorome is intriguing, also. And since I have already gotten the party into a situation which may lead to Maztican hijinks, why would Anchorome be any farther away? In any case, I've always wanted to sketch out some data on the "blank continents" of Faerun.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  23:41:43  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

Whoops. I neglected to deal with about 80% of your suggestion in my last rambling aearee-loving/batrachi-loving post.

I am aware of the Leshay... and I'm also aware of the fey being mentioned as a creator race...

But, in my mind, they are less suitable for an "ancient-empires-returning" sort of epic conflict. Why, you may ask? Here are some reasons:

1) The fey, as far as I can tell, have never been empire builders. Faerie ruins? Except for rings of standing stones, I'm not aware of a single case. If they have built empires, it was on other planes.

2) The sarrukh, aearee, and batrachi are all Faerun natives. The fey are from Faerie, and so in this way have less claim or stake in Toril.

3) The fey are reclusive, non-dominating, and don't even usually crusade against any evils not currently occupying their forest homes.

I know these are all opinions. And the Leshay would possibly be very different than the pixies and other sylvan folk they are the progenitors of... but it just doesn't make my DM glands juicy, if you know what I mean. But otherwise, you are right on with your suggestion... It's just a personal thing.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  23:44:16  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

1) A plot to empower the scaled ones. Perhaps an Artifact that grants those with scales inate psionic ability as if has level one (without requirment to take the) psionic class. Of course perhaps a desease to kill two leggers without scale being investigate/develped. The longer kept hidden the harder it will be to cure. It certainly needs to be a common cause for all of them, not something that helps one group far more then another.
Hmm perhaps artifact that grants whatever power is in different locations and needs to be brought together to work. Thus of course the seach must not be revealed. Maybe even the Waterdeep raid was more about getting one peice, just nobody noticed.

Interesting ideas. I'll definitely mull these over. I do use psionics, so that is a definite possibility... however, don't the yuan-ti already have a pretty decent psionic proficiency?

I do think that the "search for an artifact/artifacts/pieces of an artifact" is a valid goal here... my worry is that it has been done to DEATH.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  00:27:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldskool

quote:

Interesting ideas. I'll definitely mull these over. I do use psionics, so that is a definite possibility... however, don't the yuan-ti already have a pretty decent psionic proficiency?
[quote]

An extra one is always nice and just think about it would do to the would if all scaly ones had psionics. *VEG*
The Kobold concentrates for and moment...

[quote]

I do think that the "search for an artifact/artifacts/pieces of an artifact" is a valid goal here... my worry is that it has been done to DEATH.

True artifacts in parts or as a whole have been done in the past, good vs. evil has also been done in the past as well as law vs. order.
If you want a grand scheme you need something grand. Perhaps a scroll search to dominate humans. Perhaps goal to increase divine rank of one or more deities, perhaps to kill a deity. You have started this alliance without knowing what goal they are working together to achieve. All I can try to offer are ideas of why they might work together. The goal certainly must benefit all the races working together or they would not be working together (they might instead compete with each other to get a source of power.

Maybe try to crash the moon into Waterdeep, however a few deities would tend to be upset about the attempt. Grand scale evil (whatever you decide ob) will need to use grand scale power. Perhaps try to gain some control of the Shadow Weave might be an idea as well.
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  20:12:36  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

[quote]

An extra one is always nice and just think about it would do to the would if all scaly ones had psionics. *VEG*
The Kobold concentrates for and moment...

[quote]

True artifacts in parts or as a whole have been done in the past, good vs. evil has also been done in the past as well as law vs. order.
If you want a grand scheme you need something grand. Perhaps a scroll search to dominate humans. Perhaps goal to increase divine rank of one or more deities, perhaps to kill a deity. You have started this alliance without knowing what goal they are working together to achieve. All I can try to offer are ideas of why they might work together. The goal certainly must benefit all the races working together or they would not be working together (they might instead compete with each other to get a source of power.

Maybe try to crash the moon into Waterdeep, however a few deities would tend to be upset about the attempt. Grand scale evil (whatever you decide ob) will need to use grand scale power. Perhaps try to gain some control of the Shadow Weave might be an idea as well.

I've been thinking about this and I think I have a couple ideas. The main problem here is to keep the tactics and motivations of the yuan-ti in mind (<i>SK</i> helps here a lot)... The yuan-ti have no desire to exterminate other races or destroy the world (thus negating a great idea about letting the Night Serpent out... heheeh). Also, the yuan-ti usually work from behind the scenes and don't tend to work quickly.

Thus, if they are moving a bit more openly (albeit via proxies), they must have a great idea in mind.

My current idea is this: The yuan-ti (and their sarrukh master/masters) have discovered the locations of several of the ancient Nether Scrolls. Problem is, they are located in areas well-patrolled by established northern governments. On the other hand, they have recently done well in gaining political power in various southern countries as well as hidden agents posing as members of good priesthoods.

Their plan is twofold. First, they are going to start a large-scale war by having their puppet governments march on the northern countries in which the Nether Scrolls are located. Second, their false-priest agents are going to cause despicable incidents in the northern cities which will appear to be the work of good priesthoods... causing chaos in their main cities while simultaneously smearing the reputation of one of their most potent sets of foes.

So... where do you suggest these Nether Scrolls should be located? And what sort of "despicable incidents" could make citizenry turn against the good priesthoods of the North?

Also, I'm still trying to brainstorm about the possible nature of the aearee and the batrachi. Help here would be appreciated as well.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  20:57:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So... where do you suggest these Nether Scrolls should be located? And what sort of "despicable incidents" could make citizenry turn against the good priesthoods of the North?

Well the scroll Mezro and the Nether Scrolls already has much discussion about the scrolls. Lore indicate that 100 were found, 50 stolen by "elves of Cormanthyr and secreted away by the High Mages of that realm."
24 were taken by "thieves, fearful of Netherese retribution, destroy the golden scrolls, pounding them into gold chunks."

Which leaves 24 posible available.

2 disappear in the High Forest.

"We do know however that various 'individual' Nether Scrolls are noted as being in existence in the North. One is in the hands of an illithilich in the ruins of Dekanter. Others are in the Hall of Mists below the Grandfather Tree in the High Forest. Another couple of scrolls are in the possession of the sarrukh mummy Hssathak (see Serpent Kingdoms, p.96) who was once of Isstosseffifil. "

There are perhaps a few more hints as well as to where they might be or have moved to.

There is selculation that more sets might exist as well.

As for people turning against "good clerics" two way occur to me quickly. Preach too much at them , when claiming to do something like a healing spell, do nothing or actually cast a harm spell. Then blane the traget for the results. You were not good enough so my deity caused this to result. If done often the request for healing will drop and well as trust of those Priests.

quote:

Also, I'm still trying to brainstorm about the possible nature of the aearee and the batrachi. Help here would be appreciated as well.

oldskool

"this could mean that the Nether Scrolls were created not only by the sarrukh, but also by the batrachi and the aearee" Hey they want their scrolls back perhaps.
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  00:35:12  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Another weird problem has arisen.

I was perusing the various Monster Manuals (not neglecting the Fiend Folio) for creatures on which to "base" the aearee or batrachi. Easy enough.

So, I run across the Chronotyryn in FF. A powerful, intelligent avian race, on par with the sarrukh. 'Good,' I think, 'perhaps only a small amount of tweaking will be necessary to make the aearee as I imagine them.'

I begin to compare the stats of the Chronotyryn (CR 19) with those of the Sarrukh (CR 21). My mind starts melting.

The Chronotyryn have a higher HD, higher AC (by 6!), SR 31, several resistances and an immunity, higher base attack, more potent spell-like abilities, the casting ability of a 12th level sorcerer, and higher stats in all areas except INT.

The Sarrukh are significantly LESS powerful in almost every respect. Only one immunity, no resistances, SR 20, and no innate casting ability besides their spell-like abilities.

So why in HADES is the Chronotyryn rated as 2 CR below the Sarrukh?!?! Who is making these CRs up??

SIGH.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  00:57:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So why in HADES is the Chronotyryn rated as 2 CR below the Sarrukh?!?! Who is making these CRs up??

Game designers. Though play testing certainly a factor.

From: http://www.enworld.org/cc/fiend_factory/cr_calculator.php

"This calculator is taken from the "How to Create a Monster" article found in Dragon 276 (and on this site). It is used to assign the CR to any "non-epic" monster. Epic monsters use a different system than the one presented (and I am working on posting this one as well).

To determine a monster's CR follow the steps below.

1. Take the monster's average hit points and divide by 4.5
2. For each Special Attack and Special Quality add +1 or +2. Here are some suggestions.

* +2 for damage reduction, spell-like abilities, spells, SR, regeneration, fast healing or any attack that deals permanent ability damage.
* +1 for all other Special Attacks or Special Qualities.

3. Take the total and divide by 3. This gives the monster's CR.

The above is just a guesstimator. The best way to find a creature's CR is through playtesting. "
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  01:57:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because WotC got it wrong - Rich Baker said as much on his thread at the WotC site. A CR 11 is more correct for the sarrukh.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  02:11:32  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Because WotC got it wrong - Rich Baker said as much on his thread at the WotC site. A CR 11 is more correct for the sarrukh.

Odd, you'd think this would be reflected in the SK Errata I downloaded....

That's a pretty severe CR differential. Geez, imagine if you were running a single, unleveled sarrukh as the "Big Boss" of your campaign, and the PC's tore through him like he was made of cardboard and spit. I'd be pretty irritated as a DM.

Hmmm. That's good, because my thoughts on creating a viable unofficial "aearee" race from the chronotyryn were along the lines of "NERF the crud out of this sucker".

Does anyone have an idea of a published monster that could serve as a starting point to create the batrachi from? I've already considered and discarded various slaadi (too extraplanar) and sivs (too weak).

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  02:32:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone have an idea of a published monster that could serve as a starting point to create the batrachi from? I've already considered and discarded various slaadi (too extraplanar) and sivs (too weak).

oldskool

I would offer lizardman as published. The elder certain;y could have been more adaptive and powerful. The batrachi are amphibious living on both land and wter. Certainly not a prefect answer, frogs might be better just do not know of any inteligent frogs in current version. Perhaps others can offer amphibious creatures that could serve as a base.
Go to Top of Page

oldskool
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  08:10:28  Show Profile  Visit oldskool's Homepage Send oldskool a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I would offer lizardman as published. The elder certain;y could have been more adaptive and powerful. The batrachi are amphibious living on both land and wter. Certainly not a prefect answer, frogs might be better just do not know of any inteligent frogs in current version. Perhaps others can offer amphibious creatures that could serve as a base.

Lizardmen... they're more akin to the already-well-developed sarrukh. They're reptilian, not amphibious. They have a *slight* rep for being "amphibious", but only because they live in swampy areas and can hold their breath... but they certainly can't breathe water.

As far as intelligent frogs go, we've had the bullywug around for ... about 3 and a half editions now. The 2nd edition manuals featured the grippli (whom I miss terribly). And I did already mention the siv (from Monsters of Faerun). But like I said, I've already poked around pretty heavily in the existing 'monster manual' type books. Although I don't have access to MM3, are there any amphibious types in there?

<i>Serpent Kingdoms</i> says that the batrachi were creators of the following races: locathah, tako, kopru, kuo-toa, dopplegangers, bullywugs, and sivs (possibly among others). So, we're looking at something with affinities for sea life, amphibians, and shapeshifting... Also, being a Creator Race implies a degree of power (comparable to the sarrukh, I am guessing). I'm really not sure how that these traits relate to lizardmen, to be honest with you.

oldskool

Go to Top of Page

Vecna
Acolyte

Turkey
8 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  10:20:30  Show Profile  Visit Vecna's Homepage Send Vecna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the epidemic that does not effect Scaled ones is good enough.
Dragons will be willing to help the yuan-ti in this matter. you can expect hordes of lizardman of course. maybe some alliences are made
and we'll have ourselves a full scale war..
if I were a player Id be happier slaying troglodytes, lizardman, dragons, yuan-ti etc etc.. than Dark Elves (which is my favorite race), shades (which is 2nd fave) and orcs n stuff
this would give them the opportunity fighing shoulder to shoulder with those "usual enemies" and it will be truely epic.. even too much maybe.

IF THERE IS LIFE AFTER DEATH, THERE IS NO DEATH.
AND IF DEATH DOES NOT EXIST, WE DO NOT LIVE.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  21:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't it also the case that the Nether scrolls cannot be destroyed as simply as melting them down. even if they are scattered don't they kind of move to rejoin together (hey they are major artifacts right). I can't remember if this is in volos guide or cormanthyr. So I would definitely include this

So I would make there be a site as described above where a bunch of them were melted down, due to some residue, even after they were scattered they seek to return to this place. And boy are they scattered cause they were dropped into volcano x in location Y and have been lava for 2500 years.

The problem is that no one not even the cult knows where the volcano is, however if they collect enough of the nether scroll parts they can see which direction it is crawling and follow it (this is a great way to make high level PCs actually walk and get hit by random monsters etc...)

Unfortuneately for the cult, the scrolls are all over the place and have been unknowingly placed into random magic items. (I guess the cult will have to have some Sarrukh spell to find parts of them, and this spell would be enough to cause the rescue attempt.) So the cult is running willy nilly collecting random magic Items that contain the nether scrolls. (this will drive your PCs nuts trying to piece together what is the same about the magic items in question, and no divinations will help either) I'd at least make them all gold. and that after they destroy the magic item a part of it survives wriggling on the ground.

Here is where I would have some fun- Once the party figures out what is going on they face a decision- try and track down the Sarrukh or gather enough of the scrolls themselves to find the volcano. If they go after the sarrukh, trounce them, now send them all over faerun to get some magic items, places like thay, in the possession of major good NPCs. Now, doing this they level up, just enough (i'd say at least 2 levels) to take on the Sarrukh....

Oh boy this is pretty artifact based.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  19:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So one other thing- I'm making two assumptions-

1, the more bits of scroll you have the faster they move so you must collect some of them to find the volcanoe, how many scrolls have reconstituted there, who knows, up to you...

2, the scrolls can be split into parts and made soft, but cannot be destroyed, there should be some smallest part, that is maybe 1/2 of a rings weight or something

3, the parts of the scroll can be used in other magic items, mages might get a feeling of magical power and be drawn to use them in this way. They might not even know why. Now suppose these magic items have weird and unexpected effects, sometimes like wild magic, sometimes they just soup up the magic of the item they are placed in. How surprised will your players be when their amulet of natural armor starts shootin fireballs???

4, maybe one mage gets his hands on a whole bunch of scroll stuff and puts them in Magic items of middling power (he is only 10th level or so), will anyone notice when his items are supercharged, can your pcs trace it back to him. He himself has no idea why ( is he lying, he tests as LG), just that he bought the gold from the dwarves of xxxx mine, etc....

5, So you could leave the dragons attack a mystery for a while and run this as a completely different thread, pulling the two together later.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000