Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 drivethrurpg.com??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  18:44:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have they always offered WOTC pdfs on all products or what? I didn't realize Wizards was into that.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  18:50:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Have they always offered WOTC pdfs on all products or what? I didn't realize Wizards was into that.

WotC has been offering PDFs for years, _The North_ I downloaded March 2000, if not earilier.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  19:42:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

WotC has been offering PDFs for years, _The North_ I downloaded March 2000, if not earilier.

I think what SirUrza may be mentioning is the fact that WOTC is now offering as a PDF download, for a fee, some newly released products through the vendor mentioned in the subject line.

And that has just recently started.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  22:37:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

quote:

I think what SirUrza may be mentioning is the fact that WOTC is now offering as a PDF download, for a fee, some newly released products through the vendor mentioned in the subject line.

Oh I see, WotC did used to be in the business of selling some PRDs, that were more recent years ago, however started to outsource that business. Closing their online store. Steve Jackson Games, IIRC, was one that picked up the business.
As for how recent the release titles are now compared to over the years I did not track so can not offer comment about quicker release for sale of print product. It certainly can be quicker these days.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  00:34:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

How newly released are we talking, and at what kind of prices?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  00:46:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

How newly released are we talking, and at what kind of prices?

Races of Destiny$29.95
(WotC Info "Item Code 177370000 Release Date December 2004 Format Trade Hardcover Page Count 192 ISBN 0-7869-3653-3 Price $29.95"
Frostburn $34.95
(WotC Info "Item Code 177580000 Release Date September 2004 Format Hardcover Page Count 224 ISBN 0-7869-2896-4 Price $34.95")

Prices appear to be the same, release dates very current.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  06:17:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Prices appear to be the same, release dates very current.

Yes, the prices are the same which is one of the complaints I have heard on other forums. And if I recall right, the PDFs were released a few weeks after the books became available in stores.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  22:54:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the new stuff is exactly what I was wondering about.

I've got all the Realms AD&D stuff they released as PDFs.. and then some. :)

Just seeing them license brand spanking new 3.5E hardcover material for the price of the printed material caught me off guard. If anything, I would have thought they'd put the older 3E softcover stuff at like $10 a pop. It's amusing to see them get into the D20 pdf business so late in the game and not even try to offer competitive pricing.

Oh well, Malhavoc will always be my prefered brand of PDF anyway. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  23:27:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's amusing to see them get into the D20 pdf business so late in the game and not even try to offer competitive pricing.

Yes, I've read some very strong opinions on the pricing. I'd rather see something offered, even at full price, than nothing at all. Of course, they have yet to do this for any of the Realms tomes. Natch.

Has anyone purchased any of the newly released WOTC PDFs that have been offered since this new program started via drivethru?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2005 :  10:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostburn was the first one they tried, actually, according to their website. It was a trial offer -- but apparently someone was willing to pay full cover price for an official PDF.

Maybe if the text were fully searchable, then a high price would be alright, but . . . I have a scanner, so if I wanted to, I could take the time and do it for myself. It happens that so far, I haven't needed to, except for scanning in some maps for easy access -- which I wouldn't have to do if they did proper indexing!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  00:21:33  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I scan and/or print stuff out instead of carrying the whole book around with me these days too now. Everything as a hardcover is just getting kinda ridiculous, it really doesn't make them better products IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  00:59:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a trade off, yes selective printing is nice as well as using laps tops and/or portable disks/drives to access files. There however is also personal cost of printing for selected hard copy and woe to any computer that gets corrupted files. Sometimes thee can be situational problems as well, like battery going dead or power outage. You can play table top by candlelight, it can get very hard to play comupter assisted table top with just candle light available as power source. ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  01:34:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Everything as a hardcover is just getting kinda ridiculous, it really doesn't make them better products IMHO.

You know, that was what I liked about the idea with the original Monstrous Compendiums: put the entries in a three-ring binder, and then, at game time, you simply grabbed the ones you needed. Obviously, though, I was the only one who liked that concept...

I'd prefer stuff to be softback, but so long as they're going to charge us $30+ per book, then it better be hardcover.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  02:29:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Everything as a hardcover is just getting kinda ridiculous, it really doesn't make them better products IMHO.

You know, that was what I liked about the idea with the original Monstrous Compendiums: put the entries in a three-ring binder, and then, at game time, you simply grabbed the ones you needed. Obviously, though, I was the only one who liked that concept...

I'd prefer stuff to be softback, but so long as they're going to charge us $30+ per book, then it better be hardcover.

Well I have the Monstrous Compendiums floating about someplace, it certainly did provide flexiblity, but somebody steping on it made it harder to use effectively in taking and removing pages.

As for prices of books, there can be quanity and quality that are factors.

48 pages for 7.00 is easier to purchase. A book with 240 pages would price out at 35.00. A hard cover might cost 1.00 more in production costs, but then add on shiping costs, space costs and so on. The WotC unit has to make a profit, TSR was verge of banrupcy (from what indications I saw) before being taken over by WotC. Hasbro is more certain to look at line profit then WotC was, WotC was willing to cost nuetral the PHB to build up product support.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  02:43:23  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a trade off, yes selective printing is nice as well as using laps tops and/or portable disks/drives to access files. There however is also personal cost of printing for selected hard copy and woe to any computer that gets corrupted files. Sometimes thee can be situational problems as well, like battery going dead or power outage. You can play table top by candlelight, it can get very hard to play comupter assisted table top with just candle light available as power source. ;-)

I have a laser printer, so at 3 cents a page, it's cheap at twice the price. As for "data corruption" not a problem either. I have all my PDFs on the computer, the ones I need to carry with me on flash drive, and everything backed up on 5 CDs (and now 2 dvds.) :)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  02:51:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a laser printer, so at 3 cents a page, it's cheap at twice the price. As for "data corruption" not a problem either. I have all my PDFs on the computer, the ones I need to carry with me on flash drive, and everything backed up on 5 CDs (and now 2 dvds.) :)

Nice to be rich, I did noticed you did not comment on Table Top play by candle, though the printouts certainly provide hard copy useable. Then heat/light later ;-)

Edited by - Kentinal on 10 Jan 2005 02:53:09
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  04:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need to be "rich" to do that (though I understand some people see the world as a class warfare issue). Also, if you have a laptop that doesn't have a battery that can last at least four hours viewing PDFs on the lowest light setting, you've got a computer that isn't quite portable enough. Even a two-hour battery could be temporarily put in sleep mode to save power when not being used.

That should answer your hypothetical.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  05:31:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're not, one of my gamers feels the same way. No doubt you and her would get along.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  06:10:05  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You're not, one of my gamers feels the same way. No doubt you and her would get along.

Tis good at times.
At last count I have almost 100 or so Prestige Classes typed up as Word Documents, this way I don't have to lug around every single damn book for the PrCs. In a very slow process of doing all the magical items.
I also have a 30 or so page file of "common" spells that I use for my cleric. My cleric has Anyspell, and Greater Anyspell, so have a bunch of wizard spells in that list also.

Yeah, all the data entry does get wearing, but when it saves my back by not having to drag along 20 books instead of 5, I'm willing to do it. Plus with the the PrCs documented up, all I have to do is throw a binder in the middle of the table and let my players know that is what they can choose from for PrCs, anything not there they need to ask about.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document

Edited by - warlockco on 10 Jan 2005 06:12:51
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  20:48:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice to be rich, I did noticed you did not comment on Table Top play by candle, though the printouts certainly provide hard copy useable. Then heat/light later ;-)

Rich? Laser printers are $100 these days on the right week.
Dvd drivers are $40 on the right week.
1gig flash drive are $40 on the right week.

You don't need to be rich, you need to know how to budget your money and read the sunday newspaper.

If your job isn't paying you enough or you don't have on, don't complain, do something about it.

BTW, I work PART TIME, go to college, have a car, and pay for my own car insurence. If I can afford computer parts, dungeons & dragons, a car, school, and a few other hobbies, I'm sure others can too.

Edited by - SirUrza on 11 Jan 2005 20:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  21:09:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Rich? Laser printers are $100 these days on the right week.

Perhaps where you live.
quote:

Dvd drivers are $40 on the right week.

Perhaps where you live.
quote:

1gig flash drive are $40 on the right week.

Prehaps where you live.

quote:

You don't need to be rich, you need to know how to budget your money and read the sunday newspaper.
[/qoute]
You can get a Sunday paper? You certainly are living high on the hog.

[quote]

If your job isn't paying you enough or you don't have on, don't complain, do something about it.

Oh I could blane this on policy of goverment or could explain on how the needed work I do makes minor things like upgrades an extreme luxery, however it appears that you believe that everyone can have what you considered basic needs that I will not even try.
You do understand that not every one lives in the USA, Japan or Canada, right?

Edited by - Kentinal on 11 Jan 2005 21:12:32
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They don't?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  00:51:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen, we have strayed a bit from the topic... Perhaps we could discontinue our wayward journey?

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  17:14:25  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gentlemen, we have strayed a bit from the topic... Perhaps we could discontinue our wayward journey?

Hey, it's my topic, I'll go off topic when I want to! :)

On that note...

quote:

quote:

Oh I could blane this on policy of goverment or could explain on how the needed work I do makes minor things like upgrades an extreme luxery, however it appears that you believe that everyone can have what you considered basic needs that I will not even try.

Like I said, if your job doesn't pay enough, don't complain about others. I don't know what you do, don't really care what you do. Fact is, your rich comment was a wee bit unnecessary and didn't ping of any good nature.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2005 :  18:28:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I tried humor. You tried being direct. Nice attempt there WR.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  22:50:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the following at GamingReport.com today:

quote:

DriveThruRPG.com announced today that Wizards of the Coast has agreed to broaden the selection of its Dungeons & Dragons® titles available as e-books on www.DriveThruRPG.com . This decision follows the successful trial of Wizard’s Frostburn title on DriveThruRPG last November.

"Our initial e-book trial with Frostburn on DriveThruRPG was very successful. We are proceeding

to the next step of offering additional titles and more new releases in e-book format," said Charles Ryan, Brand Manager for Dungeons & Dragons at Wizards of the Coast.

"We’re pleased to extend our partnership with Wizards as they, like all book publishers around the world, continue to explore the possibilities of the digital format for books," said Steve Wieck of DriveThruRPG.com.

Wizards has already released Races of Destiny on DriveThruRPG and will continue to extend its e-book program by offering the following titles over the next few months:

Complete Adventurer (available today)
Deities & Demigods (Jan. 24th)
Complete Warrior (Feb. 14th)
Fiend Folio (March 14th)
Lords of Madness (April 11th)

With the ability to search for specific rule text, to cut and paste passages onto character sheets or adventure notes, or to take an entire RPG collection with you to the gaming table, the e-book format has become increasingly popular with gaming fans as an adjunct to the traditional printed format.

Wizards of the Coast joins other leading roleplaying game companies such as White Wolf, AEG, Arthaus, Chaosium, Dream Pod 9, Eden Studios, Fantasy Flight Games, Fan Pro, GDW, Guardians of Order, Holistic Design, Malhavoc Press, Mongoose Publishing, Necromancer Games, Pinnacle Entertainment and dozens of other leading publishers of new and classic RPGs whose RPG products are available digitally on http://www.DriveThruRPG.com.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 13 Jan 2005 22:51:47
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:01:57  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found the following at GamingReport.com today:

Interesting. I wonder if the new offerings will be at a reduced cost.

Edited by - Kentinal on 13 Jan 2005 23:03:36
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  23:53:10  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I wonder if those'll be cheaper.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  02:41:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll have to check them out as they are released. However, I'll be very surprised if there is any reduction in price as that has not been WOTC's policy up to this point.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  03:31:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll have to check them out as they are released. However, I'll be very surprised if there is any reduction in price as that has not been WOTC's policy up to this point.

I would tend to be surprised as well, please though keep us advised.

I do recall Jim Ryan, Brand Manager at the time IIRC, annouced the discovery of warehouse modules. They were offered at retail price and those not sold within a set time period were to be recycled. In answer to a querry about what not using a dutch auction with a minimun , the answer was the policy of WotC was to charge list price or (in effect) trash them.

Edited by - Kentinal on 14 Jan 2005 04:13:41
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  04:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's an odd policy. I wonder if they want to make certain that people don't skip buying them right away and wait for a "sale"? It's the only reason I can think of to do that.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000