Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Grand History of the Realms... in PDF form...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  11:58:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Taking into consideration the fact that not all scribes here visit some of the other sections of the library as frequently others, I've decided to open this scroll here so that all the scribes of Candlekeep can take advantage of this glorious download.

From EN World -
quote:
Realmspace: Geonomicon has released A Grand History of the Realms. This PDF combines the timelines from over thirty sourcebooks published over fifteen years into a ninety-page overview of Forgotten Realms history.

Here's the URL.

Enjoy .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  12:07:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

My word, what an absolutely splendid document. A wonderful resource indeed. Thank ye for bringing this news to the library, Sage.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  13:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I sent a thank you email. This is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  14:50:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lurue's Horn, that is impressive!

I already liked the huge timeline he had, and I'd sent a few people his way since coming here. But this... Wow. Big Al, you need to either ask this guy if you can also host that file, or at least add it to the links section.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  16:04:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent catch TS! Thanks for sharing this link.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to want to load for me. Anybody else having problems with it?

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  17:24:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

It loaded for me and my computer is so old that the hamsters running it have white beards.

Have you got the latest edition of Adobe? Could that be the possible problem?

SB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  17:27:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Reefy, I have the same problem.
If you get an error message or dialog box that begins "This viewer can't decrypt" then you have to download a newer version of the Adobe Reader (usually 6). Have fun; the Adobe site tries to "analyze" your Net link and machine at long range, over the Net, and often comes to some strange conclusions (if you're not running a vanilla Windows setup).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  18:04:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

It loaded for me and my computer is so old that the hamsters running it have white beards.

Have you got the latest edition of Adobe? Could that be the possible problem?

SB

Are you oppressing my people, SB?

The lovely Lady Hooded One is correct, Reefy. In fact, at work yesterday, someone had a similar problem: Acrobat would load most documents she needed to work with, but not the ones from a particular page... I remotely hopped onto her computer, updated Acrobat Reader to 6.0.2, and it fixed her problem.

So try updating Acrobat, and, if that doesn't work, get back to us. We'll figure it out.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  19:00:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sage for the link.

It is a truly impressive document, even if it still can be expanded upon with further detail. Yet it provides a very good basis and I have already used it to pluck some detail from.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  22:00:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My personal ongoing Consolidated Timeline is 91 pages at 10 point - with another 41 pages of endnotes incorporating product/page references: and I've barely half way through the sources! But I like Brian James' work - a very thorough FR scholar.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  22:18:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My personal ongoing Consolidated Timeline is 91 pages at 10 point - with another 41 pages of endnotes incorporating product/page references: and I've barely half way through the sources! But I like Brian James' work - a very thorough FR scholar.

-- George Krashos

So when do we get to see this Timeline of yours, Krash?

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  11:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Splendid, I have got it working now - had to update Adobe, didn't realise v7.0 was out. Thanks for the help - and what a fine document it looks too.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  12:27:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably won't be until the middle to end of this year. The 2005 products that I know of will have lots of dates and realmslore to incorporate and I still have to go through quite a few of the older sources. When it's ready it'll rear its pretty head!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  14:06:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Probably won't be until the middle to end of this year. The 2005 products that I know of will have lots of dates and realmslore to incorporate and I still have to go through quite a few of the older sources. When it's ready it'll rear its pretty head!

-- George Krashos

Then I am glad that we will have to wait for your Timeline, George . It's nice to know that the 05 FR products will have plenty of dates and such... so it will also be nice to see that information immediately incorporated into your grand effort.

Here's to your factual and historical recording abilities, my friend .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2005 :  15:33:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Splendid, I have got it working now - had to update Adobe, didn't realise v7.0 was out. Thanks for the help - and what a fine document it looks too.

Version 7.0? I was just on the Adobe website a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't know version 7.0 was out, either! Thanks for mentioning that -- I'm d/l'ing it right now, and I'll need to let the other guys at work know, so we can start loading it on new machines.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  10:50:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo

I asked Brian aka Iakhovas whether he'd be willing to have his Grand History of the Realms PDF on Candlekeep, he says hes cool with it if you want to host it

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=357560

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  11:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Alaundo

I asked Brian aka Iakhovas whether he'd be willing to have his Grand History of the Realms PDF on Candlekeep, he says hes cool with it if you want to host it

Well met

Many thanks, Dargoth. I simply hadn't gotten around to contacting Iakhovas on this matter, so much appreciated. I will get on the task forthwith, a fine resource indeed

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  15:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Alaundo

I didn't know he was over there... I just logged in and made my first post since I was banned, just to compliment and thank him.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  23:06:19  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate the kind words everyone. Thanks to Dargoth for pointing me to this site. I've been away from the Forgotten Realms community too long, and Candlekeep seems like an excellent place to meet new friends and share some lore.

Alaundo, It would be a priveledge to have A Grand History of the Realms hosted here.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2005 :  23:18:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore

I appreciate the kind words everyone. Thanks to Dargoth for pointing me to this site. I've been away from the Forgotten Realms community too long, and Candlekeep seems like an excellent place to meet new friends and share some lore.

I offer you welcome to candlekeep. I am sure some of the more senior scribes shall also welcome you as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  00:46:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alaundo, It would be a priveledge to have A Grand History of the Realms hosted here.

Ah, welcome to Candlekeep! 'Tis great to have another scholar of the Realms join our ranks.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  01:01:23  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's pretty cool.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  02:23:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

I offer you welcome to candlekeep. I am sure some of the more senior scribes shall also welcome you as well.

Hey, was that a crack about Big Al's age?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  11:04:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met and welcome, Realmslore (nice name which i'm sure will cause much confusion herein )

Glad to see thee made it to the library. I trust ye will find many tomes of Realmslo..... eek, it's started

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  14:18:15  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol. I have a bad habit of creating a new forum alias everywhere I go (Iakhovas, Loremaster, Wyrmskull, etc...) Just call me Brian.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Gale604
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  01:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Gale604's Homepage Send Gale604 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

A complete chronology in a visually pleasing format; what more could one ask for? Thanks!

As a side note: Eric Boyd has an excellent chronology pertaining just to The North, by George Karshos:(http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/history.html). If you're running campaign limited to Waterdeep/Savage Frontier, it's a bit easier to wade through.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  03:43:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gale604
As a side note: Eric Boyd has an excellent chronology pertaining just to The North, by George Karshos:(http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/history.html). If you're running campaign limited to Waterdeep/Savage Frontier, it's a bit easier to wade through.

Yes, that timeline was revealed in this thread.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 18 Jan 2005 03:44:17
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  00:41:55  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent job! So much to read and so little time for it.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  13:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's one long document Sage. Now all I need is some time off work to get through it... Maybe I'll call in sick for the next few days.

I didn't have any problems opening up the document on Acrobat Reader v6.0 You all must have more up-to-date versions if you consider v6.0 to be as old as the stone age.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  02:58:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

That's one long document Sage. Now all I need is some time off work to get through it... Maybe I'll call in sick for the next few days.

I read the entire thing at work. The benefits of a help desk position!

quote:
Originally posted by Lina

I didn't have any problems opening up the document on Acrobat Reader v6.0 You all must have more up-to-date versions if you consider v6.0 to be as old as the stone age.

Well, it's up to 7.0... Betwixt there and 6.0 was 6.0.1 and 6.0.2...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000