Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun contents page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  23:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Introduction 4
The Ruin-Based Campaign 4
What’s Inside 5
What You Need to Play 5

Chapter 1: Ancient Secrets 6
Ancient Feats 6
Arcane Manipulation 6
Arcane Transfiguration 6
Channel Charge 7
Cormanthyran
Moon Magic 7
Craft Scepter 8
Familiar Concentration 8
Godsight 8
Greenbound Summoning 8
Item Reprieve 8
Jergal’s Pact 8
Multilingual 8
Netherese Battle Curse 8
Servant of the Fallen 9
Spell Reprieve 9
Trapmaster 9
Wounding Spell 9
Prestige Classes 10
Cultist of the
Shattered Peak 10
Glorious Servitor 13
Magelord 17
Olin Gisir 21
Sunmaster 25
Ancient Spells 29
Assassin Spell 29
Bard Spell 29
Cleric Spells 29
Druid Spells 29
Paladin Spell 29
Sorcerer/Wizard Spells 29
Spell Descriptions 30

Chapter 2:
Dreams of the Past 36
The Ruins of the Past 36
Cities into Dungeons 36
Interesting Sites 38
Ancient Deities 41
Amaunator 41
Auppenser 41
Bhaal 41
Gilgeam 42
Leira 42
Moander 42
Myrkul 43
Ramman 43
Tchazzar 43
Epic Magic 43
Mystra’s Ban and
Epic Magic 43
Epic Spell 43
Epic Spell Seeds 44
Mythals 45
What Is a Mythal? 45
Raising a Mythal 45
Sample Mythal: The Wards
of Silverymoon 50

Chapter 3:
The Crown Wars 51
History 51
Timeline 51
Keepers of the Past 52
Songs and Stories 53
Important Sites 56
Aryvandaar 56
Illefarn 57
Ilythiir 58
Miyeritar 58
Legacies of the Crown Wars 59
Adventure Seeds 59
Buried Secrets 59

Chapter 4:
God-Kings of the East 60
History 60
Timeline 60
Keepers of the Past 63
Songs and Stories 63
Important Sites 64
Imaskar 64
Mulhorand 66
Narfell 67
Raumathar 68
Unther 69
Legacies of the
Old Empires 70
Adventure Seeds 70
Buried Secrets 70
Heirs to the Empire 70
Adventure Site:
Sonjar’s Tower 72
Background 72
The Earth Node 72
Tower Features 73
Keyed Areas 73

Chapter 5:
Realms of the High Forest 83
History 83
Timeline 84
Keepers of the Past 85
Songs and Stories 85
Important Sites 86
Ammarindar 86
Delzoun 87
Eaerlann 89
Sharrven 91
Siluvanede 92
Legacies of the
High Forest 92
Adventure Seeds 92
Heirs of the High Forest 94

Chapter 6: Fallen Netheril 95
High and Low Netheril 95
History 96
Timeline 96
Keepers of the Past 100
Songs and Stories 102
Important Sites 104
The Lost Kingdoms 104
Low Netheril 105
Netherese Colonies 107
Shattered Cities 108
Surviving Cities 109
Western Diaspora 109
Legacies of Netheril 111
Adventure Seeds 111
Buried Secrets 111
Heirs to the Empire 112

Chapter 7:
The Imperial South 113
History 113
Timeline 113
Keepers of the Past 116
Songs and Stories 117
Important Sites 117
Coramshan 117
High Shanatar 118
Memnonnar 119
Jhaamdath 120
Shoon Imperium 121
Tethir 122
Legacies of the Past 123
Adventure Seeds 123
Buried Secrets 123
Heirs to the Empire 124

Chapter 8: The Dream of
Cormanthyr 125
History 125
Timeline 125
Keepers of the Past 129
Songs and Stories 129
Important Sites 132
The Elven Court 132
Myth Drannor 133
Semberholme 133
Vale of Lost Voices 133
Legacies of Cormanthyr 134
Adventure Seeds 134
Buried Secrets 135

Chapter 9:
The Old North 136
History 136
Timeline 136
Keepers of the Past 142
Songs and Stories 142
Important Sites 142
Ardeep 142
Gauntlgrym 143
Old Illusk 144
Phalorm 144
Legacies of the
Old North 146
Adventure Site:
Keep on the Frontier 146
Background 146
Keep Features 146
Keyed Areas 146
Concluding the
Adventure 150

Chapter 10:
Artifacts of the Past 151
Magic Item Descriptions 151
Weapons 151
Rings 152
Scepters 153
Staffs 153
Wondrous Items 154
Artifacts 156
Minor Artifacts 156
Major Artifacts 157

Chapter 11: Monsters of the
Ancient Lands 160
Arachnids, Giant 160
Combat 160
Giant Whip Scorpion 160
Giant Whip Spider 161
Giant Sun Spider 162
Baneguard 162
Baneguard 162
Direguard 162
Crawling Claw 163
Combat 164
Creation 164
Curst 165
Sample Curst 165
Creating a Curst 165
Deepspawn 166
Combat 167
Demon, Ghour 168
Combat 168
Dread 169
Combat 169
Dread Warrior 169
Sample Dread Warrior 169
Creating a
Dread Warrior 170
Flameskull 171
Combat 171
Foulwing 172
Combat 172
Gorynych 172
Combat 173
Greenbound Creature 173
Sample
Greenbound Creature 174
Creating a
Greenbound Creature 174
Helmed Horror 175
Helmed Horror 175
Battle Horror 177
Ixzan 177
Combat 178
Lycanthrope 178
Combat 178
Lycanthrope,
Drow Werebat 178
Lycanthrope,
Werecat 179
Lycanthrope,
Werecrocodile 181
Lycanthrope,
Wereshark 183
Metalmaster 184
Combat 184
Nightshade, Nighthaunt 185
Combat 185
Nishruu 186
Combat 186
Phaerimm 187
Combat 187
Phaerimm Characters 189
Tomb Tapper 189
Combat 190
Construction 190
Tressym 191
Combat 191
Velvet Worm, Giant 191
Combat 192

Edited by - Alaundo on 20 Feb 2005 21:22:52

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  01:40:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some comments

It seems to be very light on crunch

It looks like there finally going to address Mystras denial and Epic magic

Ill be most intrigued to read what theyve written about Bhaal and Mykrul

Im a little disturbed that most of the lost empires only get one page....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  01:55:51  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what you have posted, Dargoth, it is automatically a must-have for me. I particularly want to know more abuot the ancient deities and the old elven kingdoms.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  02:36:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa... Some of that stuff looks seriously intriguing... It's too bad that there's not more of a write-up on the empires, though. This book could be three times as long and still not provide all the lore we want!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  02:48:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Crown Wars, High Forest, and Cormanthyr so I'm happy.
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this is one I'll have to have, no questions asked. Information on the old empires AND the crown war era? How could I refuse...

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  03:02:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth:

Where did you find this information? WOTC Boards and Richard Baker? Or another source?

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  03:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm shocked, I'm happy. I'm shappy!

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  05:52:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm considering that less then a page is devoted to many of the topics either the print font is extremely small or the topics not well discussed.

Oh BTW shouting tends not to impress some either.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  06:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Dargoth:

Where did you find this information? WOTC Boards and Richard Baker? Or another source?

The Ask Rich Baker thread

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  07:43:15  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! this is some serious must-have bookage!!!!

I can't begin to babble about what I can't wait to read from these pages... Cormanthyrian Moon Magic... <drooling all over my chin...>
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Heppe
Seeker

Germany
62 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  08:04:12  Show Profile Send Alexander Heppe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Just in case you got me wrong, once again:
Wow!

Finally a book which summarizes why the Realms are called "forgotten", after all, explaining why there are so many nice little dungeons to throw at your players.

And adventures, too! But I can't help myself, but "Keep on the Frontier" reminds me of something I´ve played before in another campaign...

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  10:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say it wasn't initially a title which struck me as must have but I thought I probably would buy it. Having seen the contents, I must confess I'm now very much looking forward to it. The only thing I'm slightly put out by is that a large chunk of the monsters are from Monsters of Faerûn, probably only being slightly amended to update to 3.5.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  12:06:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, this could actually turn out to be a good product!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  12:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty excited after reviewing the contents. Looks like they went for a comprehensive coverage of every major ancient empire and tried to give at least a little coverage to each, instead of focusing on a select number of ancient realms and neglecting others entirely. This is a must-have for me for three reasons:
1. Narfell, Raumathar and Imaskar are covered.
2. Mystra's Ban is covered.
3. Looks like they will make an attempt to update the epic spell seeds from the Epic Level Handbook to 3.5.
Overall, I'm very encouraged, and look forward to having it in my grubby mitts.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  14:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Absolutely splendid Thank ye, Dargoth. I'm even more excited about this tome. Like Brother Ezra, i'm especially glad to see the likes of Nar within it's pages

I would liked to have seen more space devoted to each area, but with how ancient Faerun is, and the number of places to cover, the tome would be a fair size if that were the case.

I wonder, are there any maps within?

Oh, and Dargoth..... i'm very pleased with the lack of crunch, as i'm sure are many others

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  17:33:58  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am even more excited about this book now. I'm really looking forward to the information on the Mythals and the dead gods, but everything in it looks interesting. Now, if only Champions of Ruin and City of Splendors look as promising, we're in for a good year.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  23:05:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I am even more excited about this book now. I'm really looking forward to the information on the Mythals and the dead gods, but everything in it looks interesting. Now, if only Champions of Ruin and City of Splendors look as promising, we're in for a good year.

I'm curious to see what they say about Mythals, myself -- particularly Silverymoon's mythal. I certainly hope they explain how it got there, since it was never mentioned before 3E...

But I must ask you a question: How can a book on Waterdeep not look promising?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  23:36:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm curious to see what they say about Mythals, myself -- particularly Silverymoon's mythal. I certainly hope they explain how it got there, since it was never mentioned before 3E...

But I must ask you a question: How can a book on Waterdeep not look promising?

Actually it was. :) Volo's Guide to the North mentions it as a rumor but now Mythal's, High Magic, etc, is just all based on the magic in the Epic Handbook. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  00:03:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the "greater good" of the Realms, the chapter you should all be looking forward to is the one on Netheril. Trust me.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  01:11:43  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well not for me George, that Chapter 4 just makes me want to sneak over to WotC and steal a copy (what ever state it is in). Hope it's something new more tangiable and not just a summary of the earlier information on the Imaskari. It's 2 full pages which makes it the biggest heap of info on them so far. As for the rest it sure looks interesting as well. Can't wait. And yes, the mucho grande fluff content is sure a nice thing.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 11 Dec 2004 01:14:52
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  06:07:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whilst not intending to derail the excitement train, I will repeat myself from a couple of months ago that this is not an Arcane Age product - using it will not allow you to run a campaign in ancient Imaskar, Narfell, Sharrven, Jhaamdath, et. al. (well, not without a heck of a lot of input on the DM's part). It's a product set in the here and now that gives background on lost empires and talks about their present-day legacies. Also, there's only so much you can fit in a page or so on a realm. Let's not get those unrealistic expectations going ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  06:53:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Whilst not intending to derail the excitement train, I will repeat myself from a couple of months ago that this is not an Arcane Age product - using it will not allow you to run a campaign in ancient Imaskar, Narfell, Sharrven, Jhaamdath, et. al. (well, not without a heck of a lot of input on the DM's part). It's a product set in the here and now that gives background on lost empires and talks about their present-day legacies. Also, there's only so much you can fit in a page or so on a realm. Let's not get those unrealistic expectations going ...

-- George Krashos

It might however provide inspriration for some novels. I already commented on the apparent limited page alocation to topic. In a lot of ways it might be considered (from the sounds of it) a brief lore of many things. An encyclopedia of sorts. It does appear to offer some game tools, feats and so on that could be rediscovered to bring into a more recent time period. If the source is good enough an ancient city might be rediscovered, though as indicated it most likely appears the DM will have to expand the information provided. All in all it will be interesting to discover the contents and how useable they can become.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 11 Dec 2004 06:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  14:54:51  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I just read on the Realms-L mailing list that there were plans to include a map of the Realms circa DR -650. That would be a lovely addition.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  18:51:46  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very, very interesting. When the sourcebook will be published?

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  19:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I just read on the Realms-L mailing list that there were plans to include a map of the Realms circa DR -650. That would be a lovely addition.

Well met

Oh splendid, splendid Thank ye Brother Ezra for this information. This map would be fantastic, and something I have wished for for many many years

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  04:42:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

Very, very interesting. When the sourcebook will be published?

February if I recall correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  08:32:10  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Bonny has just releaed ssome info about one of the LEOF PrCs

"Glorious Servitor... an ancient prestige class dating back to the arrival of the Mulhorandi gods on Faerun."

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  14:04:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ed Bonny has just releaed ssome info about one of the LEOF PrCs

"Glorious Servitor... an ancient prestige class dating back to the arrival of the Mulhorandi gods on Faerun."

That sounds like it might be interesting, from a lore point of view...

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  00:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich has just confirmed that the LEOF map will be a 2 page spread (ie like the one in Underdark)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  04:03:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Rich has just confirmed that the LEOF map will be a 2 page spread (ie like the one in Underdark)

Not my fave type, I much prefer poster/pull out. However, I'll take the above over no map whatsoever.

Gracias Dargoth for passing along the word.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000