Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Now just a glimmer in his eye...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  05:45:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If you're a fan of the D&D Psionics system (both 3.0e and 3.5e), and enjoy the The Mind's Eye feature over on the D&D site, then this news may distress you -

quote:
All Good Things . . .
By Mark A Jindra, Scott Brocius, and Kenn Boyle
All good things come to an end eventually, and now we've finally come to the end of the Mind's Eye feature. In the last three years, Mind's Eye has had an exceptional run of more than 120 updates, and it has introduced new psionic monsters, prestige classes, feats, items, over one hundred new powers, and so much more.

In this final installment I have compiled all of the articles into two master PDF files so that you can download them and cherish them forever.

Along with compiling all the articles for the feature from the last three years into two "handy" PDF files, you're also treated to some parting thoughts from the authors involved in producing and writing the articles.

The two PDFs are here, and, here. The article with the authors thoughts on the feature is located over here.

Enjoy .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:10:51  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know a whole lot about the psionics system, but you've assured me that the expanded system is considerably better and more streamlined than the original 3e version.

I'll download them. I will likely have use for the material one day, or perhaps there is something within them that might spice up an encounter or two .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  15:01:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has any other scribe here ever made use of the material from this feature? Psionics seems to be rarely mentioned here at Candlekeep...

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  21:41:49  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Has any other scribe here ever made use of the material from this feature? Psionics seems to be rarely mentioned here at Candlekeep...

one of my players plays a surviving female drow of house oblodra (former 3rd house in menzoberranzan) who was on a spying / informationgathering mission on the surface when the houses complex was destroyed. the campaign started 3 years ago and it was quite hard to find a psionic background in the realms, but when i found house oblodra by chance (just skimming through the menzo-box), it was perfect...

since we still use 2e rules from skills and powers (and will for a long time), 3e and 3_5 come into play only in the form of powers i redesigned to fit the 2e system or "fluff-inspirations" from the two new books. we always liked the 2e version for feeling different from clerical and arcane magic, so i was a bit miffed when i found 3e´s psionics containing much more combatrelated powers. but worse than that was the "flashiness" (visual or audible "sideeffects" during the manifestation of psionic powers) - it was always called "the silent / invisible power"...

to cut a long story short (and spare you my ramblings ): i don´t like or use the 3e or 3_5 mechanics, but it is useful for idea-mining.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  23:12:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

but worse than that was the "flashiness" (visual or audible "sideeffects" during the manifestation of psionic powers) - it was always called "the silent / invisible power"...

I hate that, too -- it's taking away the entire feel of psionics. If I ever get to DM, I'll immediately chuck that rule out the nearest window.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  00:35:18  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Alaundo will let this one pass, but (in my Dark Sun Campaign) I use a modified version of the 2nd edition rules. The first thing that got thrown out were the visual/audible effects. We have enough of that already. I also still use the Sciences and Disciplines which are not ranked by level (although I make sure that the pre-requisistes to get any power require a certain degree of mastery).

I will definetly take a look at the download nevertheless. There are always new ideas to explore.

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  04:29:16  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer

Hopefully Alaundo will let this one pass, but (in my Dark Sun Campaign) I use a modified version of the 2nd edition rules. The first thing that got thrown out were the visual/audible effects. We have enough of that already. I also still use the Sciences and Disciplines which are not ranked by level (although I make sure that the pre-requisistes to get any power require a certain degree of mastery).

I will definetly take a look at the download nevertheless. There are always new ideas to explore.

It's always good to grab Ideas - especially for use in 2E.

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  08:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer

Well met

What was that ye said, Wanderer? Dark...something? Oh ne'er mind.

I must get my hearing sorted out, those scribes could be saying all manner of things ::grumble::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  09:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will there be anything in there to tell me how to block frequent psionic attacks? You see in BG2... I get getting killed by a bunch of illithids, plus umberhulks, clerics and mages. It's a bit annoying when potions only last 5-10 rounds when it takes longer to kill everything and they're (illithids and umberhulks) magic resisant too.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  09:54:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina

quote:

Will there be anything in there to tell me how to block frequent psionic attacks? You see in BG2... I get getting killed by a bunch of illithids, plus umberhulks, clerics and mages. It's a bit annoying when potions only last 5-10 rounds when it takes longer to kill everything and they're (illithids and umberhulks) magic resisant too.

As I recall, there are some rather unique powers covered in both PDFs that give the PC considerable assistance when they encounter the run-of-the-mill psionic aberrations, like mind flayers.

I'm not sure how this would translate into something you can use for a CRPG though... .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000