Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Myth Drannor?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  20:38:49  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
my brother was telling me that "MYTH" Drannor is a title. is that true?

Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the idea that I would fight fair?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  22:28:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richtinIII

my brother was telling me that "MYTH" Drannor is a title. is that true?

In a way he's right, since all the elven cities that have a mythal are called Myth something. Otherwise, if they don't have a mythal, then they are not called Myth something. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  22:45:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, all of those old cities, once they got a mythal, had their name changed to Myth Whatever. Myth Drannor, Myth Glaurach, Myth Nantar, etc.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  16:05:56  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Mythal mean?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:32:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does Mythal mean?

A Mythal is this huge field of magic, surrounding a city. It takes many casters to even make one, and provides a host of magical effects. Some effect all people in the city, while other effects can only be used by people who know how. Additionally, Mythals often have effects that help protect the city. Each Mythal is unique, and the various properties are set by the creators.

To borrow some text from the FAQ, hosted elsewhere on this site:

quote:
The function of mythals is to provide defense and a pleasant environment for those who dwell within. Some also serve as a common meeting ground for races that cannot normally survive in the same environment. The powers of Myth Drannor and Myth Nantar are best known, so you might want to check the appropriate references (RoMD and C:EoE in the former case and SoFS in the latter case) for details. No two mythals are alike, but all have a wide range of major and minor powers. I often think of them as the "climate controlled utopia" of Disney's 1950's version of the future.

Mythals are essentially living things and can become corrupted, such as happened to Myth Drannor, and then their powers can get wild and/or dangerous. One way of destroying them is the Gatekeeper's Crystal (mentioned in The North and detailed in VGtATM).

Also, a list of cities with Mythals, from the same page:

quote:

Eric Boyd:

There are/were a lot more than three mythal cities, and there are many "near-mythals" as well. True mythals include those created by wizards and those created by elven High Mages. (I've often wondered if there's not a priestly variant as well.) I think Myth Drannor falls in the former camp and Myth Nantar in the latter camp, but I don't know for sure. "Near-mythals" are usually extensive magical wards, such as those created by the wizard spell "Wardmist" (detailed in various Volo's Guides). Of the true mythal cities, these are the ones we currently know about ...

Myth Drannor (detailed in Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves and Ruins of Myth Drannor)
Myth Nantar (mentioned in RoMD and detailed in Sea of Fallen Stars and (partially) in the Wyrmskull Throne)
Myth Lharest (mentioned in RoMD, briefly described in Lands of Intrigue: Amn and Faiths & Avatars (Selune write-up))
Myth Glauroch (mentioned in RoMD)
Myth Dyraalis (discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr
Myth Rhynn (discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr)
Myth Unnohyr (discussed in Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr)
Myth Ondeth (mentioned in VGtATM and Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves)
Myth Iiscar, a flying city which as fallen onto the isle of Lantan (discussed in Cormanthyr)
Myth Adofhaer, last city of Siluvanede in the High Forest, placed, along with its inhabitants, into stasis and removed from Faerun until certain conditions are met to restore it and its people to the Realms. (discussed in Cormanthyr)
Ascalhorn (the mythal is mentioned in The North and Hellgate Keep)

Of course, one wonders why Ascalhorn wasn't called "Myth Ascalhorn" or something like that ... ;-)

Although it's not a city, I seem to recall that Herald's Holdfast is protected by a mythal as well. I don't have my references handy to check.

Also, for info on Myth Ondeth, see Eric Boyd's Mintiper's Chapbooks at: http://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/FR_Features.asp

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:36:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silverymoon has a mythal also. In 2e it was just a rumor but 3e and 3.5e has further clarified that. I think Ed also said Undermountain has some mythals or near mythals that have never been detailed......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
than why arent they called Myth........

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  20:03:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

than why arent they called Myth........

Because they are not elven cities. :) Only "elven" cities have the Myth title.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  22:38:51  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting note to add is that the reason it is called a Mythal is because of it's original creator, High mage Mythanthor who gave his life to create the first Mythal, the one surrounding Myth Drannor. If you want to read more about the creation of mythals etc, I recommend reading Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  13:37:50  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly Rupert for the link !
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  15:34:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rowwhenn

Thanks Wooly Rupert for the link !

Not a problem!

It's not been updated in a while, but the FAQ on this site is a good resource.

Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  17:53:06  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are myhals only on aber-toril?
and how would you go about creating this mythal if i were a mage?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  18:22:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and how would you go about creating this mythal if i were a mage?

Thus far, mythals have remained a Realms-only concept.

Off the top of my head, I don't know if the mythal-creation process has been flipped to 3.x. The 2E rules for doing it are found in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves. 'Tis actually a ritual, and requires multiple spellcasters.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  18:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

An interesting note to add is that the reason it is called a Mythal is because of it's original creator, High mage Mythanthor who gave his life to create the first Mythal, the one surrounding Myth Drannor. If you want to read more about the creation of mythals etc, I recommend reading Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves.

Actually, that's only partially correct. Mythanthor is the wizard responsible for Myth Drannor's mythal, and he is the original creator of a wizardly mythal (at least in elven style; the Shoon managed a few near-mythals during their rise and reign). Mythanthor was not a High Mage when he created his spell and he was prevented from ever touching High Magic due to magical backlash.

Mythals have existed since the first elves trod the loam of Faerun, and it's only happenstance that Mythanthar has a name linked to it.

This'll be a bit of rationalization, but bear with me.

I've attempted to keep tabs on elvish words, but can only account officially for what I did in Cormanthyr & FOMD. In any case, I see the word mythal as a word linked to manth (place) and ar (gold, in respect to gold elves); loosely translated, "mythal" stands for "near-not-place of splendor/sunlight/glory." Obviously, it loses something in the translation, but it's more a play on the fact that mythals tended to be insubstantial fields of energy as opposed to something physical. (Myth Nantar's mythal, for example, has a far more physical structure than most, given its effects on its watery environment.)

To the elves, mythals were tied to places and to natural energies as well as mystical energies, thus the term Mythal. When standing alone, "myth" as a title hints that the area has a mythal, while its meaning shifts; many elven cities have singular names, but when they have titles ala Myth Drannor, the title underscores its translation as "place set apart from others."

Drannor is an odd word in Elvish but very loosely translates to Common as "No hatred, nothing but love/passion/true essence." Thus, Myth Drannor becomes "The Place Apart for No Hatreds," in some sense. Too bad it didn't fulfill that promise.

Then again, this is all unofficial and conjecture, as I've no official standing to make these comments. They're just ideas and such from my notes and thinking on these things. Take them for what they're worth.

Steven
Who'll note that names don't always fall in line with his Elvish notes, since it takes some linguistic gymnastics to translate Mythanthor's own name as "One set apart to enrich the forest"

PS: Note that Mythanthor was named by Ed, this linguistic work post dates the character's creation, and if forced to, I'd conjure up a rationale that this name was one he took on after blasted by backlash and removed from the High Wizards' ranks; therefore, what his name and house was before is unknown, though to elves irrelevant.

Gosh, how tangled can I make things when I only intended to touch up the comments on Mythanthor's status and its link to the word mythal....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  18:55:13  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Who'll note that names don't always fall in line with his Elvish notes, since it takes some linguistic gymnastics to translate Mythanthor's own name as "One set apart to enrich the forest"

PS: Note that Mythanthor was named by Ed, this linguistic work post dates the character's creation, and if forced to, I'd conjure up a rationale that this name was one he took on after blasted by backlash and removed from the High Wizards' ranks; therefore, what his name and house was before is unknown, though to elves irrelevant.

I think this has been discussed before, but what is(are) your source(s) for elvish words? Or is it more of a compilation from all the books that feature elves?

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  20:07:22  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanx steven for your information it is verrry helpfull, but i agree with anubis, how did you get your info on the elven language???

Go to Top of Page

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  11:51:54  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

With the Mythallar, Shadovars created fly-city ... and remember the novels of Dragonlancefrom Weis and Hickman + the Ad&d world Krynn ...

With imagination , and the modification of the background, you can find somewhere else ...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  15:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rowwhenn

With the Mythallar, Shadovars created fly-city ... and remember the novels of Dragonlancefrom Weis and Hickman + the Ad&d world Krynn ...

With imagination , and the modification of the background, you can find somewhere else ...

One, the city of Shade was originally in Netheril, and Netheril was on the continent of Faerûn, on Abeir-Toril. The city was sailing the skies of Netheril for years before Mr. Shade decided that he needed to take everyone sight-seeing in Shadow.

Two, the mythallar was not invented by the people of Shade. It was developed by someone else in Netheril, years before the city of Shade was founded. I want to say it was Ioulam, but I don't feel like getting up and grabbing the book right now.

Either way, once it was developed, then a bunch of mages made mythallars so they could have their own cities.

Three, the mythallar and the mythal are not even close to the same thing. A mythallar was more of a giant magical battery than anything else. A mythal, as defined above, is a field of magic surrounding a city that protects and makes life easier for the inhabitants.

Four, the flying citadels of Dragginglance had nothing to do with mythals, either. All those were were castles ripped out of the ground by an insane amount of magic. To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing even vaguely mythal-like on any other game world published by WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  20:17:03  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah I happy accept the corrections of my error mr Schend.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  01:47:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to set the record straight, Steven hasn't swiped anyone else's attempts to create an elvish language - hence he doesn't have any "sources" for his translations (other than his own noggin). Ed may have provided a few elvish words here and there but the elvish you see in "Cormanthyr" and "Fall of Myth Drannor" is Steven's work. I'm wondering if he'll ever get a gig as a freelancer on upcoming FR products - especially considering the stated policy of having at least one freelancer and one staff writer on every FR product ... I know I'd be over the moon to see the name "Steven E Schend" on another FR product.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  01:59:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Off the top of my head, I don't know if the mythal-creation process has been flipped to 3.x. The 2E rules for doing it are found in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves. 'Tis actually a ritual, and requires multiple spellcasters.

Rich Baker just posted this on the "other" FR Boards:

"Most of the mythal effects in Forsaken House I made up for the story. As far as when or if you'll see some of those rules, Ancient Empires includes a mythal-building system that marries up epic level rules with some of the 2nd edition capabilities of mythals."

I told you "Ancient Empires" was going to be good.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  13:31:43  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing even vaguely mythal-like on any other game world published by WotC.

You're right , that s why i said " the modification of the background "

quote:
All those were were castles ripped out of the ground by an insane amount of magic.

Right again ... exactly , we can read " by an alliance with wizards of the black robe and Takhisis priests " .
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  14:04:14  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Rich Baker just posted this on the "other" FR Boards:

"Most of the mythal effects in Forsaken House I made up for the story. As far as when or if you'll see some of those rules, Ancient Empires includes a mythal-building system that marries up epic level rules with some of the 2nd edition capabilities of mythals."

I told you "Ancient Empires" was going to be good.

-- George Krashos

I want it now, I want it now. At last some useful crunch

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2004 :  00:50:08  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Just to set the record straight, Steven hasn't swiped anyone else's attempts to create an elvish language - hence he doesn't have any "sources" for his translations (other than his own noggin). Ed may have provided a few elvish words here and there but the elvish you see in "Cormanthyr" and "Fall of Myth Drannor" is Steven's work. I'm wondering if he'll ever get a gig as a freelancer on upcoming FR products - especially considering the stated policy of having at least one freelancer and one staff writer on every FR product ... I know I'd be over the moon to see the name "Steven E Schend" on another FR product.

-- George Krashos

Thanks, George, for the kind words (and the explanation) above.

When I can ever afford to visit Austrailia, I'm already owing you a few pints lined up on the rail.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2004 :  19:04:24  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
are mythals a consept still used in present day FR AD&D 2nd ed.?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2004 :  20:55:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

are mythals a consept still used in present day FR AD&D 2nd ed.?

I don't see why not since Cormanthyr:Empire of the Elves is where Mythals were detailed for 2e, well besides the info that is in the Ruins of Myth Drannor box set that is. :)

Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  04:15:44  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven
were did you get all that information on the languages of elves??

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  15:04:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven
were did you get all that information on the languages of elves??

Thought this was answered above....I made it up. No really.

All I did was look at previously used Elvish words from various products and break them down into correlations with other words and/or definitions. Where authors gave a colorful name (I.E. Felicity or Foxfire) to an elf, I came up with a translation into Elvish that honored that other name but had a common base with other more standard names. My rough glossary (someone posted it on the web somewhere, I'm sure) is little more than prefixes and suffixes and words with full definitions, and I jigsaw puzzle together elvish words when I need them.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  15:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven,

What was put up online (here) seems to be a mixture of your glossary with various Tolkien elements. Could you maybe email me (or candlekeep.com) the original? (I forget the way the last discussion of this went.)

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Sep 2004 15:26:50
Go to Top of Page

richtinIII
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  19:31:49  Show Profile  Visit richtinIII's Homepage Send richtinIII a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WWOOOOWWWWW!
thats soooo cool.that just blows my mind away!thanx for that information

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  21:06:06  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Actually, that's only partially correct. Mythanthor is the wizard responsible for Myth Drannor's mythal, and he is the original creator of a wizardly mythal (at least in elven style; the Shoon managed a few near-mythals during their rise and reign). Mythanthor was not a High Mage when he created his spell and he was prevented from ever touching High Magic due to magical backlash.

[...]

To the elves, mythals were tied to places and to natural energies as well as mystical energies, thus the term Mythal. When standing alone, "myth" as a title hints that the area has a mythal, while its meaning shifts; many elven cities have singular names, but when they have titles ala Myth Drannor, the title underscores its translation as "place set apart from others."

Drannor is an odd word in Elvish but very loosely translates to Common as "No hatred, nothing but love/passion/true essence." Thus, Myth Drannor becomes "The Place Apart for No Hatreds," in some sense. Too bad it didn't fulfill that promise.

Then again, this is all unofficial and conjecture, as I've no official standing to make these comments. They're just ideas and such from my notes and thinking on these things. Take them for what they're worth.

Steven

after an hour of joyful rereading "elminster in myth drannor", i found the sentence that i knew existed somewhere within this novel:

EiMD, page 353:
Henceforth, though our realm shall remain Cormanthor, this city shall be known as Myth Drannor, in honor of the Mythal Mythantar shall craft for us, and for Drannor, the first elf of Cormanthor known to have married a dwarven lass, long ago though that may be."

i concluded the following from that quote:
- the word "mythal" does not derive from Mythantar. if it would, mythantar would have named the spell after himself, something i did not read anywhere (or between the lines). imo it is more logical that way, because else there would have been a different name for mythals before mythantar.

- the origin of the "drannor"- part. do we know more of that elf? apart from EiMD i´ve never heard of him.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000