Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Eldath
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cartweel
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  21:05:21  Show Profile  Visit cartweel's Homepage Send cartweel a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Eldath is one of my absolute favorite "good" goddesses from the Realms. I was wondering, if you had to compare her to a god or goddess from the ancient pantheons (Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Native American, Slavic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.,), who do you think she would most resemble?

For instance, Silvanus or Chauntea would be like Gaia. Tempus is like Eris. Sune is like Aphrodite or Freya.

On the other hand, does anyone know how Eldath was created? Meaning, what did whoever created her base her on? A goddess, a book/movie character, etc.

Thanks!

EEIA17
"I will tell her a story, and she will be kind to me" ~Alexandre Dumas

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  22:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

I'm not of the school of thought, ie. comparative, universalist, analytical-reductionist, that believes that anything other than rough correspondences can, or should, be drawn between the deities of vastly different cultures. For instance, the Teutonic goddess Freo (ON. Freyja) is known to have strong battle associations, and is said in the Eddas to share half of the battleslain with Woden, and thus equates rather poorly with Aphrodite, and makes a bad Athena due to her associations with passion and magic.

Nevertheless, as far as the Teutonic pantheon goes Eldath would seem to share the most in common with the twin deities Nerthus-NjordhR, and Frea-Freo (FreyR-Freyja), all of whom are associated, be it directly or indirectly, with the sea-shore (and thus water), the quality of prosperity and kindliness that all of the Teutonic folk called "frith", and also strongly associated with the powers of holiness ... going back to the original Teutonic meaning of "whole, healthy".

Moreover, the Ing-sprung priesthood was and is goverened by strict taboos that forbid the riding of stallions, the bearing of arms, and the shedding of blood. As one of the chief gods of the motley classification of spirits called the Wena (Vanir), Ingui-Frea was also closely associated with the spirits of this world. and of ocurse, as the god of Teutonic priests, and holiness in general, he also had a significant association with the chief place of Teutonic worship ... the holy grove ... although this was more the sphere of Mannus-Heimdall, yet another god with strong associations with water, frith, holiness, etc.

Heroic Sacral King of the Geats

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

cartweel
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  20:23:48  Show Profile  Visit cartweel's Homepage Send cartweel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Beowulf, and thanks for all that great information! You've helped me alot.

I don't quite agree with what you've said because I do believe that there are alot of important parallels between the deities of different pantheons. That's just me, though, and what do I know?

Thanks!

EEIA17
"I will tell her a story, and she will be kind to me" ~Alexandre Dumas
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  20:13:36  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't really know that much about Eldath, but Chauntea can't be directly compared to any one real world goddess, because almost all Indo-European mythologies (and many others, I'm sure) include Earth Mothers - Freyja, Frigga, Gaia, Isis (not Indo-European, but what'll you do?), Danu, Nerthus, and possibly the Hindu goddess Ganga (I'm not sure, but she's been compared often to the more familiar Celtic goddess Danu - what with their scared rivers Danu-Danube, Ganga-Ganges). Sorry about the rambling. I have a habit of doing that.

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  20:25:07  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Down-to-earth divinity" (Dragon #54), Ed's account of his creation of the pantheon, doesn't mention a specific inspiration for Eldath, and I can't think of a particularly close Earth-god off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  21:14:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

I don't really know that much about Eldath, but Chauntea can't be directly compared to any one real world goddess, because almost all Indo-European mythologies (and many others, I'm sure) include Earth Mothers - Freyja, Frigga, Gaia, Isis (not Indo-European, but what'll you do?), Danu, Nerthus, and possibly the Hindu goddess Ganga (I'm not sure, but she's been compared often to the more familiar Celtic goddess Danu - what with their scared rivers Danu-Danube, Ganga-Ganges). Sorry about the rambling. I have a habit of doing that.

One question -- a Hungarian river is named after a Celtic goddess?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sanavin
Acolyte

Finland
26 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  22:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Sanavin's Homepage Send Sanavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that river does begin in Germany.

"Never test the depth of the water with both feet."
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  02:33:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never got around to roleplay a worshipper of Eldath, but I find the goddess most interesting. I can recall the first time I took notice of her: the 2nd edition Anauroc supplement, where they describe a set of nice, colored placid pools in the middle of the desert as one of her sacred place (not sure where I read this as I cannot find it anymore). I believe it was written that she appeared there at times... I don't remember if Eldath lived on the Prime back in 2nd edition, but I remember wondering how cool this goddess was, and how fun roleplaying one of her worshippers would be.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  16:55:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Cartweel,

I would compare her to the Greek Goddess Eirene.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by cartweel

Eldath is one of my absolute favorite "good" goddesses from the Realms. I was wondering, if you had to compare her to a god or goddess from the ancient pantheons (Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Native American, Slavic, Chinese, Japanese, etc.,), who do you think she would most resemble?

For instance, Silvanus or Chauntea would be like Gaia. Tempus is like Eris. Sune is like Aphrodite or Freya.

On the other hand, does anyone know how Eldath was created? Meaning, what did whoever created her base her on? A goddess, a book/movie character, etc.

Thanks!

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000