Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Underwater Campaigns
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  03:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone DMed an underwater campaign? There seemes to be quite a bit of really cool underwater races and monsters and items and stuff that would be really cool. But I haven't seen very much detail of the underwater cities of Faerun or any underwaters dungeons and such. Though perhaps thats a good thing if you like making up all your own stuff Anyways just curious if anyone around here had run an underwater campaing and if so, how did it go?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  05:57:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not run one myself, but if I did, I'd likely draw heavily on The Sea of Fallen Stars. That book covers everything in the body of water of the same name -- including races, cities, and the recently reopened city of Myth Nantar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  07:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the Candlekeep project for creating an epic (not epic-level) campaign for the Realms got started, I tried pushing for a large part of it being underwater. I don't know how much of it got through, since I lost touch with the project.

Personally, I like the idea of a significant chunk of an adventure taking place in a water environment. I don't really want to do an all-underwater one, since that means that it's all "normal" rather than unusual for the characters. I'd prefer the one where in order to finish the Big Quest, they have to go to some underwater area (preferably a sunken city, which would give a sort of sureal feeling) to get some item or other.

Normal tactics would change; the rogue in the party is concevably more important in a fight than the regular fighter types, since the thicker medium means a lot of force is blunted. The party archer is pretty much neutralized, at least until he learns how to use one of those underwater bows. The spellcasters would need to adjust their castings for the new environment, discarding the common fire spells. Druids would perhaps be the most important spellcasters in that situation, especially with [i]summon nature's ally[i]. A ranger's favored enemy is almost certainly inaplicable here as well, though it would also depend on how much warning is given prior to this detour.

I suppose it's obvious I've thought about this a bit.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  07:14:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

When the Candlekeep project for creating an epic (not epic-level) campaign for the Realms got started, I tried pushing for a large part of it being underwater. I don't know how much of it got through, since I lost touch with the project.

Actually, I did like the concept behind the original idea. As I recall, I expanded upon the basics when I posted some of the material over at RoE for evaluation. I still need to post it here for comment, but I'd appreciate hearing a few more of your thoughts on underwater campaigns, Bookwyrm.

If you're still interested in the epic adventure project, perhaps you could even work on that portion yourself, since we've finally started making some headway on the work.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts mostly have to do with the flavor of things. I'd love to write a story where my characters went through a situation like I described. It just appeals to me for the characters to come into, say, a dinning hall, where the furniture is rotting away and fish are lairing inside; or where coral covers the outside of a formerly grand building, and sharks stalk the halls.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  08:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an Old 2ed module that was set almost entirely underwater, I believe it was called something like Wyvernthrone and it was tid in with that Big Dwarven kingdom that used to be under Amn/Tethyr

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  08:22:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're talking about Wyrmskull Throne, by Steven Schend and Thomas M. Reid.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  10:07:56  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... Wyrmskull Throne and Sea of Fallen Stars were the last two 2nd edition products I purchased before being completely convinced by others to switch to 3E.

It's a real shame, because those two books, together, were completing each other, and combined, offered all the underwater rules you needed for spells, weapons, movement, etc. It's also sad because of the rich cultures and races that were described therein, mostly all of which have not been transferred to 3E unless I'm mistaken (just going by memory here).

In terms of geography and plotline supplement, those books are still awesome and really useful for someone running an underwater game, whether 2nd edition or 3E. You can now use the 3.5 DMG rules for underwater combat. But I still miss the 2nd edition creatures that have not made it to 3.5 yet...
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  15:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats kind of funny Bookwyrm because I was thinking about doing the exact opposite. Creating a very interesting and different underwater feeling campaign really setting the mood with water-type characters and waterey backgrounds and really getting into a water campaing then making them go on land and have to adjust to either retrieve an important item or even to face one of the more important baddies. I think that would be really interesting and fun. Very different too.

I'll have to check out that Sea of Fallen Stars tome as well it sounds like a good one for ideas even if its not 3.5 material.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  16:49:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

I'll have to check out that Sea of Fallen Stars tome as well it sounds like a good one for ideas even if its not 3.5 material.

There wasn't much rules-based stuff in there, so doing a conversion shouldn't be hard.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Llew113
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2004 :  22:33:55  Show Profile  Visit Llew113's Homepage Send Llew113 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that this is an old post, but maybe helpful for future generation of adventurers.

I played one campeign (not as dm) where we we were entirley underwater. Basically we got cuaght in a war between Aquatic Elves and Sehaugin(sp?) It was entirly interesting but I was playing as a druid I was quite fine as opposed as our poor paladin. However or dm shied away from the normal spells of waterbreathing(which of course i had access to) or trinkets of water breathing. As a gift for our help, the elves presented us an odd peice of marine growth that looked like coral, but when attached to your mouth would allow you to breath under water(which we kept and became invaluable in future issues, including that trip to the elemental plane of water) Which worked out because no one had to worry about when spells expired and such. Also the elven city although underwater enspelled in such as when you enter the castle you were in normal enviorment(i.e. air) all in all it was a fun expierence not to mention all the xp you get from taking on an entire army of sehaugin(but it helps when you got a few hundred elves at your back)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000