Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Forsaken House (The Last Mythal Book I) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  20:56:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got my copy of this tome. Here are some initial thoughts

Cover: I never liked the cover for this novel. Yet, this is another case of an online image not doing the art justice. The cover is very nice with background details showing some House Dlardrageth members. I think the cover art by Adam Rex looks even better with the background of cracked white granite surrounding it. This book will stand out on a shelf in a bookstore.

Back cover:

quote:

Ten Millennia
Of Hubris, Betrayal,
Failure, And Retreat Are
Coming To An End

That is a nice tag line and makes me fill with hope that this will be a very encompassing tale for the Tel'Quessir of Faerun.

But, it gets better on the back cover

quote:

All in all, this is perhaps the best-written Realms novel yet.

Ed Greenwood

Whoa, talk about a fine compliment.

Inside Contents:

A map of the North with the High Forest in the center.

Six pages at the end of the book detailing Dramatis Personae. A quick flip through shows figures from Evermeet's Council and Evereska figures are included in this section.

Acknowledgements: Eric L. Boyd (the name sounds vaguely familiar), Ed Greenwood, and Phil Athans all get a nod.

Additionally, Richard Baker's dedication should touch anyone's heart

338 pages in total. This novel definitely gets my 24 bookmark.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  22:39:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'oh! I went to Barnes & Noble this day to buy this book, and it wasn't there. So I had to buy a couple others, instead. :p

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  22:43:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

D'oh! I went to Barnes & Noble this day to buy this book, and it wasn't there. So I had to buy a couple others, instead. :p

The B&N near me will not get this book for at least a couple of more weeks. Were these Realms books you got? Or did you stray?

The rest of The Last Mythal series is as follows:

Farthest Reach July 2005

Final Gate June 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  22:52:46  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do you buy your books, Sirius? Is it from a specialty store or a smaller store? I'm in the same boat as WR, where Borders is not going to have the book for another few weeks. I'm just curious .

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 22 Jul 2004 22:54:42
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  22:57:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis

Where do you buy your books, Sirius? Is it from a specialty store or a smaller store? I'm in the same boat as WR, where Borders is not going to have the book for another few weeks. I'm just curious .

I buy everything online from a variety of vendors. I'm less than an hour away from one of the major cities within the United States and they still can't get anything in on time unless it's a book by an ex-President.

In this case, I purchased the book from Walmart of all places. Go figure. I never thought I'd see the day where they could have it shipped faster than an actual online book store. But, that was the case.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  00:42:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

The B&N near me will not get this book for at least a couple of more weeks. Were these Realms books you got? Or did you stray?

The rest of The Last Mythal series is as follows:

Farthest Reach July 2005

Final Gate June 2006

Yup, I strayed. I picked up a manga and the first non-fiction book I've bought in about 10 years.

But I only picked up that second book because they didn't have Forsaken House.

I have to go back out and about upon the morrow, so I may try my FLGS, as well as the local Wally World.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  03:21:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yup, I strayed. I picked up a manga and the first non-fiction book I've bought in about 10 years.

Vile betrayer! Why don't you just pick up an Eberron book the next time you are there and twist the knife a little bit in my back.

quote:

I have to go back out and about upon the morrow, so I may try my FLGS, as well as the local Wally World.

Eilistraee save me....they have Wally Worlds there too. They are everywhere...like Cowboy fans.

Oh and for those interested, our timeline has moved forward again. After an opening prologue set during a pivotal moment in elven history, this book's first chapter opens in Midwinter, The Year of Lightning Storms (1374).

Thus, I guess the Realms will survive the Year of Rogue Dragons. Someone might need to run over to the Richard Lee Byers thread and tell him this news just in case he was planning on having the dragons destroy Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  03:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just got my copy of this tome. Here are some initial thoughts

Cover: I never liked the cover for this novel. Yet, this is another case of an online image not doing the art justice. The cover is very nice with background details showing some House Dlardrageth members. I think the cover art by Adam Rex looks even better with the background of cracked white granite surrounding it. This book will stand out on a shelf in a bookstore.

Back cover:

quote:

Ten Millennia
Of Hubris, Betrayal,
Failure, And Retreat Are
Coming To An End

That is a nice tag line and makes me fill with hope that this will be a very encompassing tale for the Tel'Quessir of Faerun.

But, it gets better on the back cover

quote:

All in all, this is perhaps the best-written Realms novel yet.

Ed Greenwood

Whoa, talk about a fine compliment.

Inside Contents:

A map of the North with the High Forest in the center.

Six pages at the end of the book detailing Dramatis Personae. A quick flip through shows figures from Evermeet's Council and Evereska figures are included in this section.

Acknowledgements: Eric L. Boyd (the name sounds vaguely familiar), Ed Greenwood, and Phil Athans all get a nod.

Additionally, Richard Baker's dedication should touch anyone's heart

338 pages in total. This novel definitely gets my 24 bookmark.

*Jumps the Pacfic Ocean and starts throttling Sirus*

Aghhhhh I still havent got Elminsters Daughter, Annihilation or Serpent Kingdoms and youve already got Forsaken House!!

*Goes back to throttling SB

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  04:40:14  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wal-Mart.... Of ALL the places in the world, I would have never, ever thought that WalMart would carry WotC books.

Well, at least I know where I can get it now .

**** EDIT: Agh!!! Not only that, they have El's Daughter and SK as well! (cheap too)

The Wanderer

Edited by - The Wanderer on 23 Jul 2004 04:44:07
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  04:53:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

*Jumps the Pacfic Ocean and starts throttling Sirus*

Aghhhhh I still havent got Elminsters Daughter, Annihilation or Serpent Kingdoms and youve already got Forsaken House!!

*Goes back to throttling SB

This is my revenge for the U.K. getting Raymond Feist and George R.R. Martin books before my country. Yes, I know you're not from the U.K., but there is some type of connection between your country and the U.K. right, way back in history.

See, I go to great lengths for my vengeance.

The book is good so far. From the very intense prologue, we get a scene set in Evermeet which gives us a glimpse into that part of the Realms for the first time since Evermeet: Island of Elves.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  04:53:53  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My local B&N did not have it either, and as for Wal-Mart, well my local one doesn't carry any fantasy books (except for the Tower and Harry P.).

So Sirius, is it the best Realms novel ever written, the only other novel Ed said that about was Homeland, which forces me to have lofty expectations(in my RAS adoreing head anyway).

Oh well, only a week or so before I get to find out for myself.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  05:26:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified
So Sirius, is it the best Realms novel ever written, the only other novel Ed said that about was Homeland, which forces me to have lofty expectations(in my RAS adoreing head anyway).

Too early to tell as I've just started and am about to start reading again after this post.

I think the font used is a bit smaller than in previous Realms novels. Thus, there are more words per page. The novels feels as if it's really packed.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  07:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. D&D stuff at Wal-Mart. The best my Wal-Mart can do is an aisle of half-chewed Star Wars action figures.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  08:18:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Wow. D&D stuff at Wal-Mart. The best my Wal-Mart can do is an aisle of half-chewed Star Wars action figures.

I don't recall ever seeing a D&D novel/product in the physical stores I entered. However, online appears to be a different story.

I'm about 70 pages from the end of this tome. I've been taking notes and will have much to comment on once I've had time to ponder some of the major events detailed within the story.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  06:20:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished this novel earlier today. Wow! I'm not sure it is the best written Realms novel yet. However, this novel is certainly one of if not the most ambitious work ever produced for the FR. Richard Baker is telling an epic story here with multiple locations and six pages of fascinating characters. Yet, within such large events, the writing never lets the events overshadow the characters. Some very touching moments come in the quiet before or after the battles. One scene in particular between an elf who has suffered a loss and another who has sacrificed to return to serve his People stands out.

And if you love battles, this story will not disappoint. Forces from the North, Evereska, and Evermeet meet multiple times against the Daemonfey who are being aided by a mysterious ally.

Unlike some other trilogy novels I've encountered, this one doesn't leave the reader hanging so much at the end. Some closure is given while still giving the reader the clear understanding that the battle is far from over.

Whether or not this is the best written Realms novel isn't that important. Let the test of time decide that statement. However, Richard Baker has set his trilogy up to be a memorable one with this fine opening novel.

I have a gripe and some questions based upon what I've read. But, that's for another post.

For now, if you love FR elves, get this book. If you don't love FR elves but like an epic story with an almost Martin type feel in a clash of Kingdoms, get this book. If you like FR lore, get this book.

I can't believe I have to wait almost a year for this story to continue.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  08:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that sounds very promising Ive been anxious about this novel for some time so by the sounds of it, it wont disappoint. I certainly love FR elves anyway.

I havent seen it in the stores yet but im running behind a little on my FR novel reading, currently STILL on WotSQ:A, got Lady of Poison next and then onto this one.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  14:27:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
I havent seen it in the stores yet but im running behind a little on my FR novel reading, currently STILL on WotSQ:A, got Lady of Poison next and then onto this one.

It's worth waiting for. If you have any questions between now and when you get the novel, let me know. I'll gladly talk about this work.
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  21:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really want to get this book somehow, and read it. Although when it comes to trilogies, i prefer to wait then buy and read all the books in a couple of weeks.

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2004 :  21:48:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

Really want to get this book somehow, and read it. Although when it comes to trilogies, i prefer to wait then buy and read all the books in a couple of weeks.

One of my players, who is reading this book right now, prefers this method. Unfortunately, this series would mean waiting for almost two years to have all three books in hand. I admire those who are that patient. I'm not.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  16:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone in the US can order this book from Amazon right here
Amazon is where I always buy my books and I just ordered Forsaken House I can't wait to read it!

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As my current campagin is set in the North and the High Forest is playing a fairly large role, I definitely want to get my hands on this one. Especially given the great reviews of it I've seen.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  16:29:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be swinging by the bookstore again either mañana or Friday, so hopefully they'll have the book by then...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  17:43:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

As my current campagin is set in the North and the High Forest is playing a fairly large role, I definitely want to get my hands on this one. Especially given the great reviews of it I've seen.

You'll definitely want to get this book then. The wood elves in the High Forest are featured a great deal.
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  00:49:11  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without revealing too much, then, could you give an overview of how things are looking in Evermeet when its first mentioned in the book?

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  03:53:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Without revealing too much, then, could you give an overview of how things are looking in Evermeet when its first mentioned in the book?

Recovering. Without revealing too much, let's put things in perspective. Evermeet has recently been dealt a serious blow. Couple that with the fact it was hurt further in aiding Evereska when it faced its own siege. Thus, two events with a great amount of loss are fresh in elven minds on Evermeet.

Now comes a new threat. Leadership on Evermeet and within the council is split as to how deal with this new threat. One side wishes to go aid their brother/sisters on Faerun. The other side clearly does not and feels that those remaining on Faerun need to Retreat. Thus, as a result you have a sharply divided council and a Queen trying to deal with both sides.

That enough? Or were you looking for something further? Feel free to ask if so.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  10:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, Any mention of the Tree of Life (cant recall what its actually called but im sure you know what i mean by now)

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  15:09:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Sirius, Any mention of the Tree of Life (cant recall what its actually called but im sure you know what i mean by now)

No mention of that, Lamruil, or the new kingdom. I must say this is the one thing I was very disappointed with regarding the tome and leads me to three thoughts:

1). Richard Baker will make mention of the kingdom later in the trilogy (Unlikely in my opinion as you get an idea of where the action will shift from the High Forest to a new location at the end of this novel, and it isn't heading north).

2). There are plans to address this new kingdom after this trilogy.

3). WOTC has the theory, "The new kingdom never happened. Nothing to see here, go away, and pretend it didn't happen."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  15:31:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3). WOTC has the theory, "The new kingdom never happened. Nothing to see here, go away, and pretend it didn't happen."

*waves his hand* These aren't the elves you're looking for.

Sadly, given the recent history of WotC and their all-too-apparent willingness to drop plot threads that were left dangling in 2E, I think this last option is the one they'll go with.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  16:22:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sadly, given the recent history of WotC and their all-too-apparent willingness to drop plot threads that were left dangling in 2E, I think this last option is the one they'll go with.

Actually, I'll be the optimist here (Yeah, I know, go figure.) and put forth that if not in this trilogy, Lamruil's nation will be addressed with a future novel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  16:32:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, I'll be the optimist here (Yeah, I know, go figure.) and put forth that if not in this trilogy, Lamruil's nation will be addressed with a future novel.

*has a heart attack and keels over. A priestess of Lurue runs in and cast some healing magic*

You, an optimist? *repeat above procedure*

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  16:43:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
*has a heart attack and keels over. A priestess of Lurue runs in and cast some healing magic*

You, an optimist? *repeat above procedure*

Yes, I know. It does happen at times, trust me. Although it usually involves sports teams when it does occur.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000