Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Question About Myrmeen and Cat-Lords??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jlindgren
Acolyte

Venezuela
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  00:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Jlindgren's Homepage Send Jlindgren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello people i was reading the Antology-Realms of Valor (yeah i know it's pretty old!!) and the story A virtue By Reflection by Scott Ciencin was really good, so i have some questions:

-myrmeen lhal seems like a really interesting character is there any books or novels about her or any other source of info on her?

-this is about the cat lords are they a specific race or just shapeshifters because they seemed really interestiing too, so if anyone knows where they're located or just more info about them it would be really cool.

It Had Three Holes And I Really Wanted One...

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  00:42:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jlindgren

Hello people i was reading the Antology-Realms of Valor (yeah i know it's pretty old!!) and the story A virtue By Reflection by Scott Ciencin was really good, so i have some questions:

-myrmeen lhal seems like a really interesting character is there any books or novels about her or any other source of info on her?

The Lord of Arabel has been in a couple of novels. She was a main character in an older novel called The Night Parade, and she had a part in the more recent Elminster's Daughter. Off the top of my head, I'd say those are her major novel appearances.

quote:

-this is about the cat lords are they a specific race or just shapeshifters because they seemed really interestiing too, so if anyone knows where they're located or just more info about them it would be really cool.

They were detailed in one of the old appendices to the Monstrous Compendium; I want to say it was the Planescape one (I'll check when I get home, unless someone beats me to it). I do not recall whether or not they've made the flip to 3.x.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  02:25:37  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with Planescape versions, but as far as I know there is one singular Cat Lord, and Gary Gygax developed him in his Gord novels. His name is Rexfelis.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  03:05:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Lord of Arabel has been in a couple of novels. She was a main character in an older novel called The Night Parade, and she had a part in the more recent Elminster's Daughter. Off the top of my head, I'd say those are her major novel appearances.

I can't recall, but wasn't she in one of the novels that made up the Cormyr trilogy?

Regardless, for those that are fans of this character, I strongly recommend picking up Elminster's Daughter. Myrmeen is at a major turning point in her life and ED's events take her future in an entirely new direction I never saw coming.

Additionally, Myrymeen's has a write up in Heroes Lorebook. This tome includes game statistics (2e) and character information on a variety of FR figures including the Lord of Arabel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  03:11:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I can't recall, but wasn't she in one of the novels that made up the Cormyr trilogy?

Additionally, Myrymeen's has a write up in Heroes Lorebook. This tome includes game statistics (2e) and character information on a variety of FR figures including the Lord of Arabel.

She may have been in the Cormyr trilogy... It seems likely, but it's been a while since I read those.

I thought she was in the Heroes Lorebook, but I wasn't entirely sure. Since I'm stuck at work, I couldn't check.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  03:14:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
She may have been in the Cormyr trilogy... It seems likely, but it's been a while since I read those.

Too long for me as well. For some reason I recall her suffering an injury within it, but can't be certain. It may have taken place off stage and just been mentioned in passing.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  03:26:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the Cat Lord, he has an entry in the Epic Level Handbook. I'm not sure if it's the same Cat Lord you are talking about though.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  09:50:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:

They were detailed in one of the old appendices to the Monstrous Compendium; I want to say it was the Planescape one (I'll check when I get home, unless someone beats me to it). I do not recall whether or not they've made the flip to 3.x.

They're actually called Animal Lords, and they are detailed in the PSMC I. The Cat Lords are simply one of the four subraces of the species. They reside primarily in the Beastlands. The four detailed in the tome however, are just examples. There is (conceivably) an animal lord for each corresponding animal type, although it's never been proven.

The Lord of Cats is a female, and usually attends to the affairs of other felines on both the Inner and Outer Planes. Only rarely, does she concern herself with events on the Material Plane.

Take that you ol' Hamster .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  09:56:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

About the Cat Lord, he has an entry in the Epic Level Handbook. I'm not sure if it's the same Cat Lord you are talking about though.

Remember though, that the ELHB is considered to support the core setting only. The Cat Lord was a Greyhawk power yes, but his sphere of influence was limited only to Greyspace.

The Lord of Cats I refer to resides outside any particular cosmology, and should be taken as the more appropriate reference. I'm not entirely certain (since I don't have my GH tomes with me) but your reference to the Cat Lord in the ELHB could be the creature that Faraer was speaking about earlier.

I'll have to check in order to be certain.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  09:58:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, now that I think about it, the Cat Lord in the ELHB is a lycanthrope. So, there could be some truth to what DDH_101 said.

Oh, it's been so long since I've read Realms of Valor...

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  15:45:55  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the description of the Cat-Lord in the Epic Level Handbook:

The Cat Lord, or "Master Cat", is the purported ruler of felines everywhere, big and small (in fact, some suggest he is a cat deity, though others claim that Cat Lord is a malign of evil). Those who truly understand felines know that the Cat Lord is neither good nor evil but concerned with cat-things alone. To this end, he roams various planes, including the Material Plane.
The Cat Lord appears alternately as a black cat, a black panther, a pale human with dark hair, or a dark skinned human, or as a hybrid human-cat sharing traits of both human and cat forms. In human form, he always wears black garb with simple gold accessories. Many admire the Cat Lord's unique style, others envy him his artistry, while those who meet him are often swayed by his animal magnetism.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  17:45:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
quote:

They're actually called Animal Lords, and they are detailed in the PSMC I. The Cat Lords are simply one of the four subraces of the species. They reside primarily in the Beastlands. The four detailed in the tome however, are just examples. There is (conceivably) an animal lord for each corresponding animal type, although it's never been proven.

The Lord of Cats is a female, and usually attends to the affairs of other felines on both the Inner and Outer Planes. Only rarely, does she concern herself with events on the Material Plane.

Take that you ol' Hamster .

Actually, in the early days of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic, the Cat Lord made an appearance. He and his kid were both male.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  02:40:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I remember... now . Mind you, I had to spend several hours digging out my AD&D comics from out my comics archives, but, the reference is there...

So, Wooly scores 2 points for recalling such an nearly-forgotten Cat-Lord reference...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  06:03:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I remember... now . Mind you, I had to spend several hours digging out my AD&D comics from out my comics archives, but, the reference is there...

So, Wooly scores 2 points for recalling such an nearly-forgotten Cat-Lord reference...

*grins* I really liked the comics, and was sad to see them end. I still have all of the DC/TSR books, and I recently acquired the limited edition FR comic with the kids from the D&D cartoon.

Oh, and since I liked the characters so much, I copied their Dragon write-ups into Word documents, as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  07:06:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well, you seemed to have scored another 2 points... for real devotion to the format of AD&D...

For myself, I'm still missing several of the issues from the series. I'm currently tracking them down... I must admit, it's fun visiting all the comic shops here in Perth. There have been some very interesting finds...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  07:22:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh well, you seemed to have scored another 2 points... for real devotion to the format of AD&D...

For myself, I'm still missing several of the issues from the series. I'm currently tracking them down... I must admit, it's fun visiting all the comic shops here in Perth. There have been some very interesting finds...

I lucked out. I originally got all of the comics as they were coming out... Then I traded them all in at my not-so-friendly local comic shop. A while later, the store was going under. By that time, I decided I had to have the comics again, so I got a decent deal on the lot of them. I've had them ever since.

Do I also get points for having gathered as much info as possible on Kyriani? I have copied her original write-up from the comic into Word, notated every spell she cast (to get an idea of her spell list), copied the info about her in the sources that mention her, and, of course, the write-up from in Dragon... What can I say, I'm a Kyri fan.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  07:35:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends...

You can receive an extra 2 points for the gathering of details regarding the characters, and an extra 1 point for sending a copy of the Word file along to this old Sage...

It's your choice...

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2004 07:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  08:25:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It depends...

You can receive an extra 2 points for the gathering of details regarding the characters, and an extra 1 point for sending a copy of the Word file along to this old Sage...

It's your choice...

Ah, but the choice is yours!

Do you want just the Kyri info, or all of it? Between what I've copied, my own notes, and the 3.5 stats that Green Giant on the WOTC forums so kindly provided, I've got like 16 files. If you want it all, I'll zip it up and pass it on. Or, if you'd prefer just a file or two, I can send the appropriate ones.

Oh, and either way, I'll need your e-mail addy to send them. Attachments can't be sent thru Candlekeep's e-mail system... Perhaps you could e-mail me your e-mail addy?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jul 2004 08:38:08
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  08:35:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the comeback...

Well, I think it would be best just to send it all over. I can sift through it later, and determine what is most appropriate for my own archives.

Thanks .

EDIT: Here's my email addy, Wooly - the_sage04@hotmail.com

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2004 08:40:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  08:40:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, it appears I was editing my post while you were replying... See the last bit of my above post.

I'll send the stuff in a few hours. Right now, this hamster needs to get to bed -- it's coming up on 4 a.m., local.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  08:43:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever you send the file is acceptable, Wooly. I still have several lectures to get through today, so I likely won't be able to check my email until later tonight anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  09:26:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahem Any more information on the Cat-Lord, fellow Scribes?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  13:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, see the novels I mentioned, including Artifact of Evil, City of Hawks, Come Endless Darkness, and the short story "At Moonset Blackcat Comes" in Dragon #100. It's Gary's character (introduced in Monster Manual II), and TSR's later revisionist versions that ignored Rexfelis as TSR published him in their own sources aren't legitimate to me.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  15:49:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myrmeen Lhaal also appears in the Dungeon adventure "Storm Season". See Dungeon #61. It's a 2e adventure set in Arabel after the events of "The Night Parade."

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  16:38:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Myrmeen Lhaal also appears in the Dungeon adventure "Storm Season". See Dungeon #61. It's a 2e adventure set in Arabel after the events of "The Night Parade."

--Eric

I didn't realize that. Thank you for the information.

Can anyone with the issue give a brief plot summary for the adventure? Additionally, who is the author for this work?

Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  21:44:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Culotta is the author.

I'll leave the plot summary to another, as I haven't read it recently, but I *think* it was about a Night Parade assault on Arabel.

Paul has written many excellent FR 2e adventures that build on FR supplements in a logical, consistent fashion. In a sense, he seems to have written the adventures that the game designer was hinting at but didn't have time/space to include.

Other ones that spring to mind are "Oracle at Sumbar" (Pirate Isles), "Grotto of the Sea Queen" (Lantharl's Lantern), and "Steelheart" (Thar and Vaasa).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2004 :  17:27:53  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to the confusion

Nathlekh is said to be a city loosely governed by a council of cat lords seeing nathlekh as a cat city with all the numerous felines, wemics, and shifters it wouldnt surprise me if these cat lords were the same as your references...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000