Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Jalynfein the Spider Mage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:23:39  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know who this is? I tried searching for him on the internet but all I know is that he is a powerful drow wizard, even more than Gromph and that he was like punished by Lolth...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:34:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm at work, so I can't check, but wasn't he covered in the Menzoberranzan boxed set?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DDGttU has some information, as does Underdark. The Villains' Lorebook describes his disfigurement.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  00:57:20  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DDGttU? Hmm.. I had the Underdark manual but I didn't notice anything about him.

But I don't get how Jalynfein is still alive. He is known by Lolth of his plans to overthrow her dominance of Menzo. Why would she still let him live?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  01:07:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

DDGttU? Hmm.. I had the Underdark manual but I didn't notice anything about him.

But I don't get how Jalynfein is still alive. He is known by Lolth of his plans to overthrow her dominance of Menzo. Why would she still let him live?

He's kept his true thoughts hidden...besides, we know Lolth loves chaos...
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  01:09:58  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does DDGttU stands for?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  01:13:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does DDGttU stands for?

Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark.

From the Menzo box set.

Jalynfein "The Spider Mage"
24th Level
CN
Male Drow
Menzoberranzan Book One
Might be the most powerful mage of Menzoberranzan.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  06:19:00  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Lord Dyrr? Isn't he around that level too?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  06:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No-he's a lich, level 18.
Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  08:47:52  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't he get switched in one of the Dark Elf novels, Someone killed him with the help of his own brother and took his place. I am at work so i cannot remember which novel it was though... His face was disfigured so he wore a spidermask to cover it.

I also think he was not higher than Gromph before his assassination but a high ranking master..

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"

Edited by - Jarren Longblade on 10 Jun 2004 08:48:50
Go to Top of Page

Jlindgren
Acolyte

Venezuela
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  13:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Jlindgren's Homepage Send Jlindgren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you want to read something about the Spider Mage you should read in Realms of The Underdark the "fires of narbondel" story in it you should see that he and Zakanfein had a sort of discussion and clarifies a bit of the mystery of his intentions and is a good read because the main char is zaknafein and not drizzt (but drizzt makes a new friend hehehe some girl used to be known as araushnee wonder who she is ;) )

It Had Three Holes And I Really Wanted One...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  13:59:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

His stats have been updated since for 3.5e.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  15:04:52  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also read about how Jalynfein was tortured by a priestess since he was young because he rejected her seduction. But then after many years he escaped and became a powerful mage. Can anyone tell me how this happened?

Jarren, you are talking abuot Alton DeVir. He didn't use a mask, but he didn't have no face at all, just like the master that he replaced, Gergoos (sp?).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  15:33:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jarren, you are talking abuot Alton DeVir. He didn't use a mask, but he didn't have no face at all, just like the master that he replaced, Gergoos (sp?).

Gelroos Hunn'ett was who Alton replaced. He was faceless due to getting acid to the face.

Go to Top of Page

Jarren Longblade
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  03:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Jarren Longblade's Homepage Send Jarren Longblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks DDH now that you say the name Faceless I remeber it more clearly. Thank you

One of the few thing you don't want to hear while deer hunting with your brother-in-law "DUCK"
Go to Top of Page

Veszaun Auvryath
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  03:48:41  Show Profile  Visit Veszaun Auvryath's Homepage Send Veszaun Auvryath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On this topic, I for one could use some clarifications, or extra info.

In the novels, Mr. Spider Mage was killed to my recollection, and his identity taken by Alton. But I never read where he came back to life, or whatnot. I know he's in the more up to date game books which are set well after that time, but what did I miss novel wise to explain his return? Very interested to know, and mayhaps I simply misread the part about him actually dying in the first place.

"You scoff at the notion of a drow Bladesinger? My, my. How very foolish of you to believe that the Ilythiiri did not possess the secrets of the Bladesong in ages long past. A select few of us have carried a twisted rendition of the 'Song down through the generations. Now, bearing that in mind, will you wipe that ridiculous look of incredulity from your face, or must the keen edge of my blade do it for you?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  06:16:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veszaun Auvryath

On this topic, I for one could use some clarifications, or extra info.

In the novels, Mr. Spider Mage was killed to my recollection, and his identity taken by Alton. But I never read where he came back to life, or whatnot. I know he's in the more up to date game books which are set well after that time, but what did I miss novel wise to explain his return? Very interested to know, and mayhaps I simply misread the part about him actually dying in the first place.

Gelroos Hun'ett, who was known as the Faceless One, was slain by his younger brother, Masoj. Gelroos was about to slay Alton DeVir at the time. Alton made a bargain with Masoj, and took the place of the Faceless One.

I could be mistaken, but I don't recall the Spider Mage appearing in any of the novels.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  06:19:31  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone, the Spider Mage DID NOT appear in Homeland. The Faceless Master and the Spider Mage are two DIFFERENT dark elves.

Wooly, my friend told me that the Spider Mage appears in Realms of the Underdark.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  11:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

quote:

His stats have been updated since for 3.5e.

Right-I'm sorry for grabbing the 2e source half a foot closer. Besides, I like him better as a wizard than a sorcerer. Lichdrow Dyrr(NE male drow Sor20/Wiz3/Clr1 of Velsharoon).
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  14:44:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right-I'm sorry for grabbing the 2e source half a foot closer.

You are forgiven, although you, like most 2e fans will be punished one day for such errors. Wait, you have been already, and the punishment is called Prestige Classes.

quote:

Besides, I like him better as a wizard than a sorcerer. Lichdrow Dyrr(NE male drow Sor20/Wiz3/Clr1 of Velsharoon).

Dragon #312 for anyone interested is the source for Dyrr's updated stats. Richard Baker provided this information in the article, "The Heroes of the WOTSQ: Part II." Given the people listed, the title sounds like a misnomenclature.

Additionally, sorry Jalynfein fans. He is not listed in this series of articles.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  16:12:37  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are his stats for 2e...

Jalynfein, "The Spider Mage"
Drow male 24th-level mage
ARMOR CLASS: 1
MOVE: 12
HIT POINTS: 51
THAC0: 13
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 98%
SIZE: M
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic neutral
XP: 20,000
STR 15, DEX 17, CON 14, INT 18, WIS 17, CHA 7
Spells: 5/5/5/5/5/5/5/5/4.
Special Equipment: Some of his items are: ring of protection +6, +1 on saves; ring of free action; wand of magical missles; rod of absorption.
Spell-like Abilities: Dancing lights, faerie fire, darkness, levitate, know alignment, detect magic, plus a yochlol-granted ability to use a spider summoning once per day. This special power is not a spell to be memorized and cast, it's activated with but a thought. Whenever he uses this ability, his face appears to be a writhing mass of long, hairy spider legs lit by a purple-orange faerie fire radiance; this effect is the source of his nickname.

Working on 3e....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000