Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Goldspires
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:51:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While searching through some sources for ideas that I'd like to be included in the future chapters of Walking Through Mirrors, I came upon the mention of the 'Goldspires', in Athkatla. The primary reference I have found regarding the 'Goldspires' is in the FR/PS adventure For Duty and Deity.

So, does anyone know of any other FR resources which have some information on this portion of the City of Coin?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  09:05:13  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Amn booklet of the Lands of Intrigue boxed set has information on it. Typically checking a regional supplement for questions like these yields some information.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  09:19:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I'd neglected to mention that I had already searched through the Lands of Intrigue box set...

I was simply hoping that there were other sources that I was unaware of...

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:29:20  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have it - but what about Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II? That dealt with Athkatla pretty extensively.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:49:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough, I don't have this particular resource. Does anyone have any details?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  12:51:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, now that I think about it, I should probably direct this question about the Goldspires to either George or Mr. Boyd.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  14:35:24  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or Mr. Schend. He did detail Amn.

I think kuje has that Volo's Guide. It's one of the ones I want the most.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  15:29:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

I don't have it - but what about Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II? That dealt with Athkatla pretty extensively.

Yes, the first 40 or so pages in the tome detail the city. Not to mention it also has a map.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  17:59:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just flipped thru my copy of Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, and I didn't really see any info on Goldpsires.

There is some info on page 179 of Faiths & Avatars...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  19:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

So, does anyone know of any other FR resources which have some information on this portion of the City of Coin?

So what more did you want to know? I've not reread what I and others wrote about it, but post some questions or areas of inquiry and let's brainstorm some more lore on one of the richer temples in Faerun (and definitely one of the richest in southern Faerun, ignoring the protection rackets in Calimport that fill the coffers of Shar's undertemple therein).

Steven
who really wished more could have been done with Goldspires but the church and the goddess was weak at that time and it was better to leave it a footnote

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  20:04:12  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, given the Current Clack project that is getting of the ground... here's two:

- What is the Temple's involvement in war-torn Amnish politics? Obviously war is bad for commerce (except arms dealing and black-market stuff) so the Waukeenar might want to have a status-quo as soon as possible - if the Monster empire is willing to trade, then why not...

- Does the Temple view the 'defection' of Riatavin & co to Tethyr as good or bad for business. Would they sponsor covert agents to reverse the events? or would they cooperate and see if they can make a profit out of the re-alignment of trade in the region (especially with the Sythillisian Empire sitting across a major north-south trade axis)
Go to Top of Page

Smiling Imp
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  03:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Smiling Imp's Homepage Send Smiling Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too Bad. I was hoping to find some canon information about the Goldspires, as I wanted to add some dialogs mentioning it in my mod.

BG1 NPCs for SoA&ToB:

http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=177

BG1 NPCs for SoA: Forums
http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=133.0
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  04:21:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost nine years... Some impressive thread necromancy!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  09:25:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Almost nine years... Some impressive thread necromancy!

What's even more impressive is that in those nine years, my 'Walking Through Mirrors' campaign collapsed, was later reborn as a purely PLANESCAPE-based venture, collapsed again, then become the basis for a standalone mini-campaign setting, until finally ending it's run as a side-quest in a campaign series I crafted using the Chaositech source as a platform.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  12:22:57  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing a quick search of my PDF with the keyword "Goldspires", I got the following hits (don't know if this helps):
"Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms", "For Duty and Deity", "Cities of Mystery","Tantras" and, not an RPG resource, "Elminster in Myth Drannor" - but not "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II", strangely enough (I do have the physical copy as well so if there's anything you want me to find in it, I can help out).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  13:57:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Doing a quick search of my PDF with the keyword "Goldspires", I got the following hits (don't know if this helps):
"Kara-Tur: The Eastern Realms", "For Duty and Deity", "Cities of Mystery","Tantras" and, not an RPG resource, "Elminster in Myth Drannor" - but not "Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II", strangely enough (I do have the physical copy as well so if there's anything you want me to find in it, I can help out).

Some of the earlier pdfs weren't searchable.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  15:26:49  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide really concentrates on Athkatla in the first chapter. There's very little to do with Goldspires. Lands of Intrigue is the book of choice for lore on the temple-town.

However, the lore that it deals with is mostly about the religious & social changes that Lliira's regency has wrought and the intercenine politics of the Furies.

There's no mention of what Goldspire's opinion is of the war, though the destruction the sothillisians bring, especially on Trademeet is probably not looked very kindly on. As for the secession of Riatavin, there's a bit in there about how several caravan contracts were broken and that trade was only being accepted from Tethyr & Erlkazar but no mention of what Goldspires would do to reverse this.

An interesting thing to note however is that Halanna Jashire, the big up-and-comer at Goldspires comes from Riatavin and her family still live there.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 30 May 2013 15:27:46
Go to Top of Page

Ze
Learned Scribe

Italy
147 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2013 :  16:57:14  Show Profile Send Ze a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo
However, the lore that it deals with is mostly about the religious & social changes that Lliira's regency has wrought and the intercenine politics of the Furies.

There's no mention of what Goldspire's opinion is of the war, though the destruction the sothillisians bring, especially on Trademeet is probably not looked very kindly on. As for the secession of Riatavin, there's a bit in there about how several caravan contracts were broken and that trade was only being accepted from Tethyr & Erlkazar but no mention of what Goldspires would do to reverse this.

Ooooh, now I need to get that book...

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2013 :  15:14:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I misspoke. The caravan contracts weren't broken, they were bought. The caravans were then sent south to Tethyr instead of their usual destinations further into Amn.

It was for that reason that the merchant families wanted the Council of Six to declare war and the reason a massive merc army was hired - originally to lay seige to Riatavin, only then to end up fighting the sothillisians.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000