Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 My New Campaign, Plz Critique
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  09:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am currently in the process of creating the first mission, and characters for my new dnd campaign, and i am looking for someone to critique it(actually, i want them to crique my style of dming). My friends and I are only in the eight grade, so they don't all have their own rulebooks, so i am making their characters from the specifics they gave me(the sad truth is, right now, it is 3:06 in the morning here in Indy, and i am pulling an all-nighter to get the stuff done for tommorows session). Before i put a single number on a character sheet, or rolled dice for stats, i talked to my players, and got more than just race and class. I got personality, home town, goals, and looks, and i turned that into a narrative about each of the pc's past, with details on how to roleplay them, their usual garb, and how they feel about the other races. Was this a good idea? Tomorrow(or today, if you want to get technical), i am going to give each player his detail sheet, and let them read it, before we hop into the adventure. I won't let them just tell each other what is on the sheet, they have to rp it. is this a good idea? i want to promote good roleplaying. Each of the detail sheets is at least 1 page long, so i won't go into much detail, but i can give a basic outline of each player.

Tecrion Moonhollow: Moon elf cleric of Shevarash, hates all drow, including church of Eileestrae(sp?).

Arivilar Stormwind: Air Genasi fighter, can't remember past, but has a rune on his forehead that appears only in the mirror. the rune is the auran rune of vengeance(this is tied into the entire campaign's plotline).

Saeval Eveningfall: Wood elf ranger, banished and pursued by his tribe. His tribe is an elite force of horse archers, and i plan to make a PrC out of this, but since he was brought up in a sub-culture that reveres horses, should i give him a bonus to ride?

Haseid Dumein: Calishite mage, hates slavery, wants to eliminate Red Wizards, even though he knows its not possible.

Is this a suitable party? Any advice would be helpful, though im not sure who would be on this time of night.

Since this is my first post, I think i need to say this is the best FR forum site I have ever seen. It is alot better than the wotc forums, they were just yelling and flame wars in my opinion.

"The only thing we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

Rabilard
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  09:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Rabilard's Homepage Send Rabilard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like a fine party. I see that you've got the 3 standards (fighter, mage, cleric) and used the fourth as the wilderness slot rather than the city/dungeon slot (which would be a rogue, rather than a ranger). Seems fine. I'm personally 24 and some of my friends don't have books so I'm obliged to either help with the characters or make them up myself with what I'm given. I like the fact that your cleric hates all drow including Eilistraees bunch. I've never liked the idea of Eilistraees salvation, as it seems to me the only way for the drow to be redeemed is by going through a lifetime of pariah type stuff, to atone for the wickedness of their lives. Eilistrae seems a quick fix.

By heart and hand
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  09:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The backstory behind each character is pretty good, I think I'll post the cleric's.

Tecrion Moonhollow

Tecrion is a moon elf that was born in the moon wood. From an early age, Tecrion showed a reverence for the Seldarine, and was known to frequently pray to them for guidance. He was a happy child, who often played with the other children in the forest. One day, while the children were out playing in the forest, the Drow launched a raid on the moon elf village. All of the adults were slaughtered, and that night when the children returned home all they found waiting for them were the mutilated bodies of their parents. Another elven tribe soon adopted the children, and while the others were able to recover to some extent, Tecrion could never recover. The gods he had always revered had betrayed him. They had allowed his parents to die. Tecrion couldn’t stand his grief. Eventually, a wandering cleric of Shevarash pasted through Tecrion’s new home. The god of vengeance against the Drow became Tecrion’s new chosen deity. The wandering cleric took Tecrion as his apprentice. Though the training was long and hard, Tecrion showed promising hatred of the dark elves. His final test was to kill a captured dark elf in cold blood while she was held down. Tecrion loped her head from her shoulders in one fine cleave. Now that Tecrion is a full-fledged cleric of the elven demigod of hatred of the Drow, he has embarked on a self- imposed quest. He will rid the Silver Marches of Drow. Though some members of the clergy of Shevarash tolerate the church of Eilistraee, Tecrion sees the Drow members as deceivers and the elven members as traitors to their race. This hatred of Drow extends to even the famous Drow, Drizzt Do’Urden. Tecrion sees the dwarves of Mithral Hall as Drow friends, and traitors to the Silver Marches.
Tecrion is a tall elf with long dark brown hair, tied in a ponytail in the back. His favored weapon is the bow, though he is proficient in the use of the sword as well, for a servant of Shevarash must be able to use whatever is available to destroy the hated dark kindred of the elves. His eyes are dark brown. The eyes of elves are normally round and full of compassion and understanding, but Tecrion’s eyes portray nothing but utter hatred, conviction, and stubbornness.
He normally dresses in dark blue, with a black cape being common.
When dealing with other people, he rarely speaks, but when he does speak, what he says sums up his opinion in a few words; if a whole sentence is not needed, why waste the time? He makes few friends, for he knows that growing attached to someone is inviting evil to slay them.

"The only thing we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  09:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Rabilard, we have a rogue, i just haven't gotten around to him yet, and i forgot to list him.

Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  10:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the info on the calishite mage:

Haseid Dumein

As a small boy in Calimshan, Haseid lived as the son of a moderately successful merchant. When the boy started to show magical aptitude, a mage took the boy as his apprentice. When the mage lost a bet, he had to sell the boy into slavery. The new owners of the boy were the Red Wizards of Thay. The boy was placed on a slave caravan heading north. After many months of travel, the caravan arrived in the Silver Marches, where slavery is illegal. The boy was about to be sold to a rich man, when an Argent Legion patrol that had been tracking the slavers burst onto the seen. The boy was freed, and his apprenticeship began anew, this time in Silverymoon. He grew into a mage of the first degree. He has a burning rage against the Red Wizards, and hates slavery in all forms. If he had his way, he would destroy the Red Wizards, and free all the slaves of the world. His goal is to achieve enough power to achieve at least part of these goals. He is very intelligent, and methodical when it comes to just about everything. He is slow to respond, but when he is provoked, his rage could bend hurricanes. Though he hates the Red Wizards, he would not attack them in a situation that would likely result in his death; he hates them to the bottom of his soul, but he is no fool.
He has dark skin, and a nearly shaved head. Upon his arms, he wears the brands of a Thayan slave, constant reminders of his past slavery. He usually dresses in dark colors, with dark red being the most common, though his mage’s robes are of varying colors.
When dealing with people, he sometimes seems arrogant, which could be because he is both a calimshite, and a mage, both of which are famed for arrogance.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  14:22:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Telathra
My friends and I are only in the eight grade, so they don't all have their own rulebooks, so i am making their characters from the specifics they gave me(the sad truth is, right now, it is 3:06 in the morning here in Indy, and i am pulling an all-nighter to get the stuff done for tommorows session).

Sleep is not for the serious DM or Player.

quote:

Before i put a single number on a character sheet, or rolled dice for stats, i talked to my players, and got more than just race and class. I got personality, home town, goals, and looks, and i turned that into a narrative about each of the pc's past, with details on how to roleplay them, their usual garb, and how they feel about the other races. Was this a good idea?

I think it was a very wise move. The information you have shared so far is a good read. I hope the players appreciate your work.

quote:

Tomorrow(or today, if you want to get technical), i am going to give each player his detail sheet, and let them read it, before we hop into the adventure. I won't let them just tell each other what is on the sheet, they have to rp it. is this a good idea? i want to promote good roleplaying.

It was a very good idea. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  15:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The background of the air genasi doesn't seem as good at first, because he is the cliche amnesiac character, but the amnesia really is part of my campaigns overall plot, to deep to explain right now.

Arivilar Stormwind

Arivilar was born somewhere in the Waterdeep area, though exactly where is a fact unknown even to him. He has no recollection before waking up with an immense headache, a satchel full of gold coins, and the clothes on his back.
Arivilar is an air genasi, with light blue skin, and pale white hair. Though he has a lack of memories, Arivilar never forgot his passion for the rapier. He has acquired much skill with the blade. His chosen deity is Akadi, though he only worships her for lack of a better choice.
When he looks in the mirror, Arivilar sees himself as others do, except for one glaring exception. Upon his forehead, in glowing red script, is the Auran rune of vengeance. He has no idea how it got there, but every time he sees his own reflection, there it is glaring back at him.
Arivilar can seem quite vain and arrogant at times. Though he accepts humans as acceptable, he has nothing but distaste for dwarves. They are too attached to the earth, and they know nothing of the open skies. Arivilar is curt, and quick when speaking to others. Though he accepts them, Arivilar sometimes feels a strange urge to kill any human he sees on sight. He has given in to this temptation only once, though it lead him to be summarily banished from Luskan. The only people Arivilar seems at peace with are other planetouched.
When going into battle, Arivilar dresses in a light, master craft chain shirt. This shirt matches the one worn by Arivilar’s mercenary partner, Telathra. When not in battle, Arivilar wears light blue and white clothes, which tend to be baggy.
After his awakening outside Waterdeep, with no knowledge of his past, but knowledge of the blade, Arivilar ventured into the city and bought a rapier. He soon found work as a guard in the library area of the city, since apparently, several years before, an evil mage had burned down a library full of priceless tomes. The same mage had then murdered a guard, driven the guard’s children insane, and then turned his wife into a chicken, which he proceeded to roast and eat. The same mage was said to have unleashed a demon that went on a rampage in the poorer sections of the city. After three years of uneventfully guarding libraries, Arivilar met a tiefling by the name of Telathra. They soon forged and alliance, bought matching chain shirts, and left to seek their fortunes in the Silver Marches. They soon arrived in the Silver Marches, and proceeded to the town of Oakhurst.

The tiefling, Telathra, is going to be an npc, that is an on/off member of the party. He is a main plot device, but I can't say much more than that, because I told one of my players about this site, and dont want him to stumble upon any spoilers.

By the way, I have been awake for twenty-eight hours straight now.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  15:53:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The tiefling, Telathra, is going to be an npc, that is an on/off member of the party. He is a main plot device, but I can't say much more than that, because I told one of my players about this site, and dont want him to stumble upon any spoilers.

I've seen other boards where posters ask members of a particular campaign to stay out so they can be spoiler free. Of course like that has any binding/effect on someone that really wishes to snoop.

quote:

By the way, I have been awake for twenty-eight hours straight now.

Sounds like a WOTC contest. Who can stay up the longest while DMing....

You definitely appear to want party interaction and in the age of Hack & Slash, that is nice to see.
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hack and slash is well and good, but it's a roleplaying game, not a hack and slash fun fest. Well, actually, both styles are viable, but I prefer to roleplay, and have some hack and slash, but the rping always dictates where we are hacking and/or slashing. I am almost done with all the character sheets, I'm on the last one, the rogue, and i hope to get his story up soon. I would have been done sooner, but all night I was splitting my time between this site, character sheets, and a story for the adventuring section, which is a really bland story, but I'm going to blame that on the late night.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  17:06:34  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These characters are fascinating! As long as the players play them right, this sounds to be an interesting campaign. Well done.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
edited to keep snoopy players from ruining campaign.

Edited by - Telathra on 16 Jun 2005 22:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  19:11:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's a really cool idea. I am impressed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Telathra
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  19:47:27  Show Profile  Visit Telathra's Homepage Send Telathra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
edited to keep snoopy players from ruining campaign

Edited by - Telathra on 16 Jun 2005 22:24:41
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  08:26:15  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the ideas you've presented a lot. I've seen a similar situation only once before where a player's pc was supposed to have once been much more powerful than his current write up. He had suffered a great defeat and amnesia as a result. The experience he earned and spent wasn't character improvement per se, but merely reclaiming the powers and memories that he had lost. It's a great way of explaining rapid advancement and makes for a great background.

Keep us updated on how things fly.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  10:36:27  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argh! You deleted your posts. Could you email them to me please?
zemd@neuf.fr

In my opinion, players should be trusted regarding the spoiler thing. After all, no one like to know the end of a good book, or film before reading/watching it. I think players feel the same about the game. Just tell them you write your ideas here and ask them not to read them. And that could be really interesting if they writed their own impressions about the game in a other post, we could compare what they understood and what the truth is
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  13:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Argh! You deleted your posts. Could you email them to me please?

If possible, send to me, too...

And I want to echo SiriusBlack and the other scribes. You are making a very good work in your campaign. I think that I speak for all of us, that we want to read the development of your campaign, is possible... and now, to bed with you, fellow scribe, before you fall asleep in the middle of the game session, with your forehead hiting that pointed d4...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  14:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Telathra!

I also like your ideas very much! I also like all the character names, as they sound properly "Realmish"

The backgrounds and motives for the characters are sound and realistic.
Everything you have posted seems very well thought out. Congratulations, fellow scribe!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  18:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent campaign so far!

Keep up the good work.

I can suggest to look at the older modules or Dungeon magazine if you find yourself out of inspiration. You can always even just take the floor plans and bend them to your own story. They can help save time.
Go to Top of Page

Grunker
Acolyte

Denmark
37 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  12:57:59  Show Profile Send Grunker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good work on this one.

It's often a problem to get players to play pre-generated characters, but with PC's as interesting as yours, it can hardly be any problem

Great Work!

"And on the pedestal these words appear: My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!" - Percy Shelley
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My friends and I are only in the eight grade, so they don't all have their own rulebooks, so i am making their characters from the specifics they gave me(the sad truth is, right now, it is 3:06 in the morning here in Indy, and i am pulling an all-nighter to get the stuff done for tommorows session).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep is not for the serious DM or Player.

Indeed, that's what caffeine is for.

I'm curious about the wood elf though, I really begin to wonder how he can come from an "elite force of horse-archers". Wild elves, ok, but Wood Elves I have a hard time imagining as a "Nomadic Horse-people"

Either way it looks good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000