Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 tieferling and what it means ?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

petenliz9
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  05:42:21  Show Profile  Visit petenliz9's Homepage Send petenliz9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Ok. My character is Tiefeerling monk. There is a level adjustment of +1 and with that hinderance comes the bonus of dark vision,darkness, resistance, stat bonus and being an outsider. Outsider, huh? What does that mean exactly? Am I extra planar? Social deviant, ala Paul Ruebens? Does that mean that spells like charm person do nott work on me? Can I be banished? What does being an outsider mean to you?

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  05:57:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by petenliz9

Ok. My character is Tiefeerling monk. There is a level adjustment of +1 and with that hinderance comes the bonus of dark vision,darkness, resistance, stat bonus and being an outsider. Outsider, huh? What does that mean exactly? Am I extra planar? Social deviant, ala Paul Ruebens? Does that mean that spells like charm person do nott work on me? Can I be banished? What does being an outsider mean to you?

Now wait a moment here. Are you a tiefling from Faerun or from the planes?

A tiefling from Faerun is a native outsider so it can be raised/ressurected/etc, just like any other race that is native to Faerun, but it just has different immunities to some spells.

Now if you are a tiefling from the planes, then you are an outsider and then you have to have special spells (wish, miracle, and there was another...?) to bring you back from the dead, just like any other planar outsider.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  06:28:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Courtesy of our friendly neighbourhood SRD -
quote:
Outsider Type: An outsider is at least partially composed of the essence (but not necessarily the material) of some plane other than the Material Plane. Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence.
Features: An outsider has the following features.
-8-sided Hit Dice.
-Base attack bonus equal to total Hit Dice (as fighter).
-Good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
-Skill points equal to (8 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
Traits: An outsider possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
-Darkvision out to 60 feet.
-Unlike most other living creatures, an outsider does not have a dual nature-its soul and body form one unit. When an outsider is slain, no soul is set loose. Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an outsider. It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection to restore it to life. An outsider with the native subtype can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be.
-Proficient with all simple and martial weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
-Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Outsiders not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Outsiders are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
-Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  07:52:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, PC outsiders are limited to their class levels as well. So a tiefling wizard would be limited to a d4 hit die, wouldn't be given the armor proficiencies, etc.

Outsiders are also immune to some spells. Any spell that lists a particular type of creature affected (humanoids, animals, etc) cannot effect an outsider. So don't bother wasting that daze or charm person on one of them.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

petenliz9
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  20:06:30  Show Profile  Visit petenliz9's Homepage Send petenliz9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, thank you for the responses. Our campaign is set in Forgotten Realms. We just finished a module taking place in Bendenford(?), and were just begining the underdark/drow adventure.

I read one of the Monk level abilities, perfect body(?), (not having a book nearby)where your monk is considered an outsider. That didn't tell me muchaside from the fact by the time I reach that level it will be redundant.

My DM will has willingly agreed to any help I receive on the forums as gospel. Can anybody refer me to books or dragon articles so that I could do further research. I guess I'm off to research what spells don't affect my monk.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2004 :  20:34:37  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a native outsider, ignore the list that Sage posted, it only applies to true outsiders with racial hit dice. Your character receives all of the bonuses and penalties ascribed to tieflings in the Races of Faerun book. The spells that you are immune to can be found here courtesy of Purple Dragon Knight: http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2470

Keep in mind that unless you can easily hide your heritage, tieflings are largely despised and shunned in the realms.

Hope this helps.

Sarta

Edited by - Sarta on 22 May 2004 20:36:21
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, those are only using the spells from the PHB at the moment, but that's a good place to start.

By the way, you still gain the damage reduction 10/magic at 20th level, as well as the ability to slow fall any distance. So it's not entirely redundant.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  10:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info... I always wondered what being an outsider meant because some special weapons have +damage to outsiders.

I see you've altered your image again Sage. You should have a shapeshifters portrait.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:24:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've said elsewhere, there's a reason for the change. It will become apparent shortly...

Now, enough discussion about my avatar change. There's Realmslore that needs to be discussed...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  17:49:35  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by petenliz9
I read one of the Monk level abilities, perfect body(?), (not having a book nearby)where your monk is considered an outsider. That didn't tell me muchaside from the fact by the time I reach that level it will be redundant.

Like it was said before, Tieflings are Native Outsiders, native outsiders need sleep, food and whatnot.

A 20th level monk gains Perfect self, it gains..damage reduction 10/magic.
You are treated as an outside ONLY for spells and magical efects, this means if SpellX affects 1 humonoid it will not effect you, but since you are alread exempt by being a native outsider this is the only redundency.

The DR10/magic is kinda nice though
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000