Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 PbEM with the hammer
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  23:13:53  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I noticed a couple of BpEM games going on, I even looked at joining one. Being very popular I decided, "hey, I can do this". So, anyone wanting to join a campaign drop me an e-mail.
Having never tried this I also would appreciate any advice from anyone participating, especially running, one of the current games on the best way to run this technically. Anyone wanting to join in from a current campaign is fine by me.
Of course I want to run the Realms. Version 3.5 since it's current, but I have a lot of material in almost every incarnation of D&D, so I would be open to any of the others.
Let me know. I only hope the gods of Faerun aren't laughing at me for taking this on!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Dunbarth
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  23:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Dunbarth's Homepage Send Dunbarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to join a PbEM game. Unfortunately, I do not have any 3rd or 3.5 edt books. My group plays 2nd edition so that is all I am familiar with. If anyone wants a new player for a 2nd edt game, you can email me at fatboypope@yahoo.com

-Did I say something to offend you? Let me rephrase it and offend you some more.
Dunbarth Flashingblade
Dwarf Warrior of Ill Repute
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2004 :  23:58:30  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe me I have enough 2nd edition material. I can easily accommodate. Let's see what the concensus is before anyone gives up. E-mail me Dunbarth -
Chevisregal24@yahoo.com

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  04:01:22  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm interested to play in your PBeM...

It would be cool if we could have an all-dwarf party!

Looking at your screen name, I doubt you would mind this at all!

Imagine, DMing a party entirely composed of either Arctic, Gold, Gray, Shield, Urdunnir or Wild Dwarves!!

Edit: Hammer, you can email me here.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 20 May 2004 17:33:22
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  06:44:43  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun Not sure if I'll have time for it but I would at least like to be on the "lurker" list if I find I don't have time. I only have the 3.5 rulebooks. I also kind of like the all dwarf party idea I would love to play an Arctic Dwarf hehe. Anyways keep me up to date please e-mail Thanks

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  14:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in playing. I'm assuming we're playing in the Realms. As for edition, well we play 3E, though I don't think I'd have any problems picking up 3.5E. I could also manage 2E as well, I think I've got all my old books somewhere, though I would probably prefer 3/3.5.
Aside from that, I have no real constraints except for another week of exams. I have a few years' experience of both playing and DMing and am fairly well equated with the Realms, though not as much as many of the posters around Candlekeep. Unfortunatley I have never played by email before so can't really offer any advice in that respect.
Some things that I think you ought to decide/get feedback on:
Which edition
Where it will be set/start
How many players you want
What character limits there will be (races, classes, starting level)

You can email me at reefpants@hotmail.com

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.

Edited by - Reefy on 20 May 2004 14:43:04
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  17:25:05  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for edition I would have to go with the majority once I get enough people to start. Looks like either 2nd edition, or, if we did the newer versions, we would go with 3.5.
Setting would either be the North, or... I have a few ideas.
I think 7 is a good number, but I would be willing to take up to 10 once the game progresses.
As for races I like to see variety, but that would include the major races being represented. PDK, an all Dwarf party would be pretty interesting, but it would be up to the players. Even half of the party playing Dwarves would be as good. I'm open if the party is to any race.
I also am open as far as races go. I want to start at low level. First if possible, but up to third would do. It goes with my deviou...um, pleasant ideas for the party.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  17:31:51  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woody, I got confused reading all the posts at once. Lurk as you like, join if you can. I know you PbEM with another group here (or is it two groups?). Any advice or comments on the other game so far?
Reefy, it will take a week or two to get going so don't worry about your exam schedule gettin in the way.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  17:37:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would very much like to play 3.5 in this PBeM... I'm dying to use the Dwarf section of "Races of Faerūn".

Please, please, please, please, please!
Go to Top of Page

Dunbarth
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  17:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Dunbarth's Homepage Send Dunbarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An all dwarf party would be cool. I don't know anything about 3.5 but if you guys don't mind teaching me, i'll be happy to learn. I don't have any of the rule books though. So, you'll have to explain how things have changed from 2nd edt. No easy task I'm sure.

-Did I say something to offend you? Let me rephrase it and offend you some more.
Dunbarth Flashingblade
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  20:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in two PbEM's besides this one So far neither of them have started yet. Just thinking about it I beleive it would work out the best if youu the DM sent everyone e-mails seperately then we send our replies to you then you compile them and post the results either on a posting site or a website of your own. I'm not sure how to work it if sometimes the group splits up or one goes off by themselves you can still e-mail them sep[rately but maybe post their results in a different place so no one else reads them? Something to think about I think I'll have enough time for this once I'm all settled in after moving so count me in if its 3.5 if not I'll still lurk and try to help you out.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2004 :  21:36:41  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's four possibles at least so far.

Is everyone fine with starting at lower levels? It just fits into the way I would like to introduce the campaign.

Purp, if you want to design a character go ahead and use the 3.5 rules for now.

Dunbarth, it looks like 3/3.5 is the way it will go. If you have some way to access either of these versions to make a character we can work out the rest later.

Reefy, there is not much of a difference between 3 and 3.5 that can't be taken care of as we go. It would be up to you to decide if you want to get a 3.5. I won't make it a requirement.

Wood Elf, it looks like you are good.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  00:53:12  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dunbarth

An all dwarf party would be cool. I don't know anything about 3.5 but if you guys don't mind teaching me, i'll be happy to learn. I don't have any of the rule books though. So, you'll have to explain how things have changed from 2nd edt. No easy task I'm sure.

All the 3.5 rules can be found online here.

Use the dwarf described under that races section (i.e. the standard D&D dwarf is the same as the Shield Dwarf of the Forgotten Realms)
Go to Top of Page

Dunbarth
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  12:24:35  Show Profile  Visit Dunbarth's Homepage Send Dunbarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet! I have something to read while I am at work! woot!

Dunbarth Flashingblade
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  17:29:50  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That link to the 3.5 rules ought to prove useful PDK, I'll get round to having a look at it soon.
Low level is fine, though ideally for my current character concept, starting at level three, or even two is probably preferable to first level.
As for setting, the North is fine by me, it's the area I'm most familiar with and where my current campaing is set. From a purely selfish point of view I'd quite liked to have explored somewhere else but you're the boss and I have no problems with anywhere to be honest.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2004 :  20:55:46  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Hammer,

I was wondering if you had thought of character creation rules to use so far?

Here's the ones I have used in the last campaign I DMed: they worked out very well if I say so myself!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 24 May 2004 04:59:06
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  00:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Hey Hammer,

I was wondering if you had thought of character creation rules to use so far?

Here's the onesI have used in the last campaign I DMed: they worked out very well if I say so myself!

They look pretty decent to me, PDK. There's a couple of problems I would have with my character concept with them but I can't see anything fundamentally wrong with it. Also, as I said I would prefer not to start at first level, second or third would be fine but it's your call, hammer.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  11:29:04  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ninja_mojo@hotmail.com

I too would love to be included. My normal pitch is, I'll play what people want, I'm a quick learner and I'm enthusiastic. I also unfortunately know very little, but as I said, that can be amended by someone just being positive and helpful.

Think it over and let me know

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  18:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh MuadDib! I'm glad you decided to join instead of just lurking I'm looking forward to playing with you my friend.

hammer of Moradin, I would prefer low level characters as well I like PDK's character creation rules as well but like he said it is up to you My sourcebooks are still with my truck back in CA and it may be a while (perhaps two weeks at the most but I sure hope it gets here within a week) before they get here, but still I already have an idea of the character I would like to play and I'm sure anyone here with Races of Faerun could help me out with the little stats n stuff I might need until my sourcebooks catch up with me

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  21:01:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those character creation rules are old too... (back in Oct 2002) To use similar guidelines, one would need to update them with the later book releases (Underdark, Miniatures Handbook, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  05:29:12  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, here's what we have so far:

DM:
hammer of Moradin

Players:

PDK -- Planning to create an Urdunnir Dwarf Monk 1 (ECL 5), and hoping that you all want to create dwarven PCs to accompany him! (hammer, let me know if this is even possible, as you wanted to begin at level one I think -- we need to devise a way to make my PC less powerful until he gains enough XP to be "ECL 5 equivalent"... I suggest I treat him as a regular Dwarf Monk 1 at the beginning, but when I'd gain enough XPs to go up to level 2, 3, 4, 5, I'd add an extra Urdunnir trait instead of adding a level. Here's what I suggest: 0 XP = regular "PHB Dwarf" Monk 1; 1000 XP = save vs. poison goes from +2 to +4; 3000 XP = Stone Walk (Su); 6000 XP = Stone Shape (Sp); 10000 XP = Shape Metal (Sp), PC is now a full-fledged Urdunnir Dwarf Monk 1; 15000 XP = Urdunnir Dwarf Monk 2 -- PC now follows a regular progression from then on...)

Dunbarth -- Race: Shield Dwarf (PHB dwarf); Class: ?

Wood Elf Ranger -- Race: Artic Dwarf; Class: ?

Reefy -- ?

MuadDib -- ?
-----------------------------

So, as you can see, we're still missing a Gold Dwarf, a Duergar, and a Wild Dwarf...
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  07:47:33  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, as to what character I will play. In keeping with the dwarf theme, I want to create a neutral dwarf (whichever clan that makes him) and he will be Beserker or straight fighter, depending on group dynamics. Dont know about whihc creation process to use, but if someone can give me one, I'll go about creating myself as it were.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  08:14:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

Ok, as to what character I will play. In keeping with the dwarf theme, I want to create a neutral dwarf (whichever clan that makes him) and he will be Beserker or straight fighter, depending on group dynamics. Dont know about whihc creation process to use, but if someone can give me one, I'll go about creating myself as it were.

Hey, as long as it's a dwarf, that's cool! Now, if it's a Gold, Gray or Wild dwarf, that'll be extra icing on the cake!!

A multinational dwarven team... yeah!!

By the way MuadDib, here's a character I created for one of my four players in the City of the Spider Queen campaign we are running. It's a good example of a "Berserker"-type character (Ftr2/Bbn3/Battlerager5). Here's Part One and Part Two.

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 24 May 2004 08:31:59
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go on then, you've got me convinced, an all dwarf party would be fun. I've abandoned my original character idea (or rather put her to one side) and am going to go with a gold dwarf paladin. I've never played any kind of dwarf or a paladin before, I just figured I'd do something new and exciting.
I'm hoping we do get some kind of party balance but with a cleric and a rogue or similar we'd be pretty balanced.
I'll start to draw up things and flesh out background when I don't have Anglo-Saxon England pressing down on me.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  15:34:47  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks, I've been moving all weekend.

Good link for the 3.5 rules PDK. Since they are on-line we will go with 3.5 rules. There are also a lot of good supplemental material on the web. Any of it can be used as long as I approve. Just e-mail me with the link and I will let you know if it is something I approve. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to characters.

I like the buy system also. I do want all of the characters to be at least average in 5 out of 6 abilities. I want them to have an exceptional rating in at least one also. So, one low (below 10) ability score, 4 mid-range (10-15), and one exceptional (16-18). That's before racial modifiers. I will also tweak them a bit. HP's should be maxed for first level, and at least mid-range for the rest of the levels. So, for a fighter a 10 + 5-10 + 5-10 + etc. before the constitution bonus.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  15:44:39  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to start at first level that will work. I don't want anyone above third level starting off however.
Looks like the Dwarves are the theme. If anyone wants to make another race that'll work. A party of 4, 5, or 6 Dwarves and a couple of other races would be interesting.
We will probably start in the North, but don't expect to get comfy. I don't do the planes, however hopping around Faerun is not out of the question.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  15:53:13  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, you guys were busy this weekend!
MuadDib you are more than welcome. We're just getting started with the process. Post here or e-mail me with any questions.
I like the race progression rules PDK. I've used them before so if we can come up with a good progression rate, if it already isn't somewhere, I don't mind. I need to look at RoF to see if what you have looks workable.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  16:28:05  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, we have PDK, Woody, Reefy, MuadDib, and Dunbarth so far. Everyone still in? You can all start making up characters and backgrounds. Send me any questions and the charcters when you are finished.
Just to refresh-
Race-Dwarf for the majority, if not all. Most others would work also.
Class-Any standard. Optional classes from other sources you can run by me.
Level-Between first and third.
Ability scores-Per PDK's point buy system with my guidelines. All listed in post.
HP's-Also listed below.
You can use the Forgotten Realms optional rules from any of the books. If anyone has the Unearthed Arcana you can use bloodlines, recial paragon classes, and most of the rules with my approval.
Skills-Standard.
Feats-If you find something you like we'll try to use it. On skill modifying feats I will probably incorporate my rule-you have a separate progression table to gain these. I'll give you more information during the week.
I don't like to use psionics.
Did I forget anything?

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  16:52:29  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will we have any Thunder Twins?
Wow, I just had a Wonder Twins flashback. Wonder Twin powers, activate. Form of a puddle(did you ever wonder where he kept that bucket that always appeared?). Form of an eagle. Monkey boy goes crazy in the background.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  18:50:54  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

Go on then, you've got me convinced, an all dwarf party would be fun. I've abandoned my original character idea (or rather put her to one side) and am going to go with a gold dwarf paladin. I've never played any kind of dwarf or a paladin before, I just figured I'd do something new and exciting.
I'm hoping we do get some kind of party balance but with a cleric and a rogue or similar we'd be pretty balanced.
I'll start to draw up things and flesh out background when I don't have Anglo-Saxon England pressing down on me.

Sweet! paladin is *THE* ultimate class for a Gold Dwarf... that +2 Cha modifier gives you better turning, better lay on hands, better saves, etc. As long as you have 14 Wis in order to be able to access 4th-level paladin spells, and 14 Str in order to swing that pointy/blunt stick properly, the rest is just gravy!

So... who's going to be the Duergar rogue and the Wild Dwarf sorcerer?
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  18:57:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Will we have any Thunder Twins?
Wow, I just had a Wonder Twins flashback. Wonder Twin powers, activate. Form of a puddle(did you ever wonder where he kept that bucket that always appeared?). Form of an eagle. Monkey boy goes crazy in the background.

Wonder Twins! Remember that monkey?

About Thunder Twins: yeah, I was thinking the same... Two Arctic Dwarf barbarians with the Thunder Twin and Swarmfighting feat would be awesomely cool... when they reach 6th level, give them each the Leadership so they can each get an Arctic Dwarf cohort with the Swarmfighting feat also (total four Arctic dwarves, all able to fit in one square, each getting +4 to hit... SICK!! )
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000