Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Islands around Chult
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  16:08:09  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What if anything do we know about:

* the Mother-of-Mists and the Daughters (seems like a possible Leiran reference or even to the heretical belief that she and Savras had kids);
* The Dawn Warrior (Lathander comes to mind, but also possibly something to do with Ubtao the Primordial God)
* The Whale's Flukes (I got nothing other than, heh there be whales, which is probably fine, not everything needs a fantastic explanation)
The two unnamed island off Chult's southwest coast (Wild Coast) in the "the Cauldron" (I'm assuming nothing and that the bigger island is just a very active volcanoe that makes the place uninhabitable to anything but creatures from the Underdark's Firelands (mapped in Underdark and mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms).

We already know from Serpent Kingdoms that the Beacon Rocks are from the Shoon.

Thanks,

Tom

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  16:37:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tell you what - they've all changed shape and size since 0e (zero-e being the 'pre-published Realms' LOL).

I've never dug-up anything on any of them. I've gotten a bunch of info from Ed (usually via Krash or Eric) regarding some more northern islands. There's actually a ton of lore we got from Ed regarding Orlumbor and the two smaller isles near it - if you want that you'd have to 'ping' Eric Boyd (its part of his personal Realms projects, which are both still 'in limbo', AFAIK). There's also the Beacon Rocks between Chult and Nimbral.

But as for the islands around Chult - I've added a few over the years to my maps, mostly because they've moved about so much I sometimes use BOTH versions on one map. Mike Schley did the same thing on the newest Chult maps - that odd-shaped peninsula I named "Oogra's Horn" (just west of the Snout of Omgar) has a bunch of tiny isles trailing off the end of it; Mike seems to have kept the isles but left off the name I gave them (the Charaba isles - I have no idea where I got that from. It may be pure homebrew). 'Oogra' is the name of some quasi-deity or some-such from Chult, IIRC. When I do name things, I try to tie it into the canon.

EDIT:
Just looking over Mike Schley's beautiful Chult map and I note that the Mother of Mists has grown quite large compared to earlier iterations.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2017 16:41:26
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  16:43:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what I have read in Tomb of Annihilation, the Cauldron is a volcanic island, and the lava is pouring almost every time. So, as of the time that Tomb of Annihilation takes place, there is no life in that island. I don't see the other island you mention in the Wild Coast, in the map that was included in Tomb of Annihilation.

The Tortle Package adds a new island, the Snout of Omgar, once part of the Chultan Peninsula but that became separate from the mainland during the Spellplague, and remained an island after the Sundering (this lore is new for the Tortle Package). Currently the Snout of Omgar is inhabited by the tortles, and The Tortle Package includes an adventure that takes place in this island.

As for the rest, Tomb of Annihilation doesn't have any info about them, so I guess anyone more knowledgeable in 2e Chult can help here.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Oct 2017 16:49:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  16:53:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'The Snout' is old lore - its just become an island now.

I note they still haven't shown us 'officially' what is to the east - there should still be a bunch of large islands there where the continent used to connect to Chult (and it would be really sad if they reconnected it). I picture a very narrow channel separating the two - one that can crossed by a tiny boat (canoe, etc) or even by an extremely strong swimmer (so MUCH narrower than the English channel).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  16:57:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I said that the stuff of the Snout being an island as consequence of the Spellplague, is something new for the Tortle Package, as there is no mention of this in the 4e FRCG. Sorry for the confusion.

Dunno if there were tortles there before, though (there aren't tortles as a race in 4e, so...).

As for the other stuff, the SCAG says that Chult is a peninsula again, so... yeah, is sad.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 09 Oct 2017 16:57:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  17:19:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't like the explanation for Chult becoming an island... But we had hammered out a solution here that was a really good one, I think, and because of that, I'm neutral on the topic of Chult becoming a peninsula again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  18:07:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope - Tortles are brand new to FR. I am just glad they didn't put them in 'The East'. I had that idea years ago ('Ninja Tortles'), which was quicky squashed by some more-sane fellows on the (defunct) K-T project.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Oct 2017 03:33:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  18:45:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, its kind of interesting that you went there. I was thinking the same thing regarding the Mother of Mists and Leira, especially given Nimbral being kind of close. I don't see an involvement with Savras though.

The Daughters are known as "The Ssan".

The mother of mists was on the 3e campaign setting map, but not the daughters (granted that was high level and the daughters are small). The 4e map made this island WAAAYYYY huger, but now its smaller. I'd chalk that up to cartographers with bad info in 4e era rather than try to make an in game explanation. The Mother-Of-Mists and The Ssan (the Daughters) were also on the huge map from 1st or 2nd edition (the waterdeep trail map) and on the 1e maps (but unnamed at that time). They were also on the Jungles of Chult map from 2nd edition. Given that the Mistcliffs of Chult are also nearby, I would definitely link these two areas. Maybe this whole area is something of a triangle in which ships get lost at times due to the intense fogs.... and maybe these mists work to bring these lost folk to other worlds (similar to Ravenloft's mists).

The Dawn warrior was also on the 1e map (unnamed), Trail map, Jungles of Chult, 2nd edition map, etc... but not the 3e map or 4e map. To my knowledge nothing has been published on this. The whole theory that when "the Night Serpent" comes from beneath the Peaks of Flame and will "swallow the sun" might have some ties between this island and the volcanos of the peaks of flame. It should be noted also that that prophecy of Savras is "when the doom of Abeir-Toril arrived". Possibly this is meant to say "when the spellplague occurs" since it references Abeir-Toril (granted that's using 4e lore against 2e lore). So, maybe during the spellplague, Dendar did appear... Ubtao then "dragged" Dendar to Abeir... and the Dawn Warrior island transferred to Abeir.... and Lathander disappeared. This might mean that Lathander actually is a primordial similar to Ubtao (I've posited that he may be the phoenix before). At the same time "the doom of Abeir-Toril" might simply be something like Entropy/Pandorym appearing or some other entity like Bazim-Gorag the Firebringer.

The Whale's Flukes was also on the 1e map (unnamed), Trail map, etc... but not the Jungles of Chult, 3e map or 4e map. Given its general shape on the trail map... it looks kind of like a goldfish cracker, so I'd probably just make the island "whale shaped" and make that the reason for its name.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2017 :  23:34:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The following is from my article in Candlekeep Compendium IX, which is unofficial of course. However, I'm pretty sure I sourced the info on Mij and the other islands described in the article from Ed. A quick search of my notes returned nothing, so take it with a grain of salt.

quote:
MIJ
Located in the waters west of Chult, this tiny island is most frequently found by sailors heading southwest from the Ssan or Mother-of-Mists on the journey to the Whale’s Flukes. As the fog lifts from the ship, visitors find themselves about a mile from shore in shallow waters teeming with jellyfish[SW p.161]. The inhabitants are a friendly enough people. Still, due to the difficulty in navigating the mist-shrouded waters, no merchants have attempted to establish regular contact with the island.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  01:13:54  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. Good to know I didn't miss much. Continue with the speculation.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  03:54:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went looking for Chult maps on the interwebz, hoping to find one someone pieced together from the Junges of Chult sourcebook, but nada.

What I DID find was two other maps - one rendered in PS (I believe its part of HandsomeRob's), and another lovely, hand-drawn one... with locales I named on MY map. I guess what I do IS dangerous. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The following is from my article in Candlekeep Compendium IX, which is unofficial of course. However, I'm pretty sure I sourced the info on Mij and the other islands described in the article from Ed. A quick search of my notes returned nothing, so take it with a grain of salt.

quote:
MIJ
Located in the waters west of Chult, this tiny island is most frequently found by sailors heading southwest from the Ssan or Mother-of-Mists on the journey to the Whale’s Flukes. As the fog lifts from the ship, visitors find themselves about a mile from shore in shallow waters teeming with jellyfish[SW p.161]. The inhabitants are a friendly enough people. Still, due to the difficulty in navigating the mist-shrouded waters, no merchants have attempted to establish regular contact with the island.

Interesting - I'll have to make a note of this small island chain. Thanks for sharing.

There is a solitary one nearby the cluster that doesn't seem to be part of those others.

I REALLY need to get back to my Faerûn mapping project. I should at least finish the 5e continental one.

Go to Top of Page

Quickleaf
Seeker

99 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2018 :  10:34:54  Show Profile Send Quickleaf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed shared a bunch of info on the Dawn Warrior over here: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/03/20/chult-what-lies-on-the-close-by-island-of-the-dawn-warrior-pt3/

"The Dawn Warrior (older local names include Eoubral, Iryth/Eerith, and Ssalmur) is a low, gently-rolling thick-jungle-clad island rising to Iylya/ “the Eye,” a peak at its northeastern tip that is a sea-mark for many sailors. Its most popular name comes from its morning appearance from the mainland coast to the south; its white-rock shores (in contrast to the iron-rich red rocks of the Mother and the Ssan) catch the morning sun and glow pink. The shape of the isle, viewed from afar across the waves, looks uncannily like a conical-helmed head and shoulders holding a raised-to-shoulder axe (the Eye).

The Dawn Warrior has been colonized many times by various humans from the 700s DR onward, by everyone from sects and cults wanting to found a favored home to pirates. None of their settlements has lasted long, in part because of pirate raids and at least one determined yuan-ti “cleansing,” and in part because of the Dragon Brood: several related green dragons have used the island as a nursery for their hatchlings to grow, dining on everything at hand and learning about foes, flying over strong-wind seas, and so on. There are careening-suitable beaches and anchorages all around the Warrior, though it offers poor shelter when storms turn fierce.

More recently, it seems someone or something who/that commands transformative magics is dwelling on the Dawn Warrior and using their arts to change creatures into horrific monsters, or breed beasts, or both. Or perhaps a portal has been opened that links to somewhere that has abundant wild creatures. Wherever they’re coming from, they are many, and the Warrior is now a dangerous place to make landfall; sailors beware."
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  03:50:12  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The small little islands around Chult? I hope WotC keeps them as Terra Incognita. Maybe the source of a few legends and rumors, but they should be reserved for the PLAYERS to populate, especially through the DMs Guild. I don't want WoTC always telling us canonically exactly what occupies every single square-mile of Toril. I hate when publishers do that. It leaves little room for us DMs to put our own designs and flourish into the Published Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  16:11:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

What if anything do we know about:

* the Mother-of-Mists and the Daughters (seems like a possible Leiran reference or even to the heretical belief that she and Savras had kids);
* The Dawn Warrior (Lathander comes to mind, but also possibly something to do with Ubtao the Primordial God)
* The Whale's Flukes (I got nothing other than, heh there be whales, which is probably fine, not everything needs a fantastic explanation)
The two unnamed island off Chult's southwest coast (Wild Coast) in the "the Cauldron" (I'm assuming nothing and that the bigger island is just a very active volcanoe that makes the place uninhabitable to anything but creatures from the Underdark's Firelands (mapped in Underdark and mentioned in Serpent Kingdoms).

We already know from Serpent Kingdoms that the Beacon Rocks are from the Shoon.

Thanks,

Tom

Here is the link to the complied tweets about the Islands around Chult that Ed sent to MadHatterHimself on Feb 2 2018

https://www.reddit.com/r/Forgotten_Realms/comments/7uv1lo/isles_of_the_chultan_seas_ed_greenwoods_notes_on/

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  21:55:14  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bakra.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000