Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any idea why the T'uLung emperor was in Mulhorand?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2017 :  23:10:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Saw this in looking up something else in GHotR. Wondered if anything had ever been done with it

1375 Mirtul 1: Wai Yong, the tenth emperor of the Lui Dynasty of T’u
Lung, secretly arrives in Mulhorand under an assumed identity. The reasonsfor the young emperor’s journey are yet unrevealed.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  01:29:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He heard good things about their Shawarma.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  01:39:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably just wanted to get away from it all.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  03:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I created that timeline entry for the simple fact that both Kara-Tur and the Old Empires had been woefully underrepresented during the 3rd-Edition era and I had a strong desire to see the ties between the East and the West strengthen. I'm glad I got as many of these lore nuggets in as I could, for as 4th-Edition dawned any mention of regions outside of Faerūn was strongly discouraged by the powers that be.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  15:10:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I created that timeline entry for the simple fact that both Kara-Tur and the Old Empires had been woefully underrepresented during the 3rd-Edition era and I had a strong desire to see the ties between the East and the West strengthen. I'm glad I got as many of these lore nuggets in as I could, for as 4th-Edition dawned any mention of regions outside of Faerūn was strongly discouraged by the powers that be.

Gotcha. so nothing ever really done with it, BUT we don't know what happened with Kara-Tur or Zakhara during the spellplague years, so if the Mulhorandi that left found that all their other allies were gone, but an eastern emperor answered their queries.... not sure what, but something could be done with this where the two empires possibly worked together. T'u Lung seems interesting from what I'm reading, it seems to be filled with political corruption in the government and nobility which serve no purpose. It would seem both groups (Mulhorand and T'u Lung) could stand to have a little Siamorphe involvement, and I have wanted her as a migrant into Mulhorand.

Hmmmm, in 2nd edition Siamorphe was an incarnation according to powers and pantheons, and she was Toril bound. This was even AFTER the ToT. Granted, later lore in 3e had her with a divine domain in the outer planes, but what if she had both. What if like the Mulhorandi she had a manifestation within the world and she had incarnations just like the Mulhorandi. From her description in P&P that's exactly what it sounds like, for it states that she had incarnations that were her children. Then, what if this manifestation went to Abeir to rescue her incarnation (making an alliance with the Mulhorandi deities, who possibly also dragged out their own manifestations, and rode upon the ship of the gods to Abeir to once again protect their children).

Along these same lines, its said in P&P that most of her priesthood is actually of her bloodline to a degree. Its also said that she has a small following in Cormyr. Makes me think that the young Cormyrian woman who became her Chosen during the Sundering (forget her name, but she was in a novel with a Chosen of Helm) might be of her bloodline.

Throwing all of this back to T'u Lung, it could be interesting if Siamorphe were actually a relative of the emperor of T'u Lung as well. Nothing says she has to be a strictly Faerunian deity, and having her cross several pantheons (Faerunian, Mulhorandi, and Kara-Tur) could be a good way to maintain herself. IF the emperor of T'u Lung were in Mulhorand to arrange a marriage with say a member of the house of say Isis, Hathor, or Nepthys in order to improve trade relations and infuse some divine blood back into this family line... not sure where to take it but it opens options.

Tertiarily, in reading through T'u Lung, which is so close to Osse, I couldn't help but notice a port city named Ausa. I gotta do something with that, especially since I wanted to have some light Kara-Tur and Osse interaction.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  18:15:02  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Gotcha. so nothing ever really done with it, BUT we don't know what happened with Kara-Tur or Zakhara during the spellplague yearsto this family line... not sure where to take it but it opens options.

Dragon 404 have a few info about Kara-Tur, in the "Ecology of the Hengeyokai" article. We know that after the spellplague hit, there were wars and revolts that took time to put down. Some hengeyokai also fought agaisnt the slavers of T'u Lung and that stuff. By 1479, there was a semblance of normality in the continent, but a lot of hengeyokai were migrating to Faerun nonetheless, because they believed Faerun was a more peaceful land.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  23:27:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, thank you. I'll see if I can find a copy of that.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  15:00:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, btw, was there ever any kind of regional update for either Zakhara or Kara-Tur during the 4e era?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  17:20:53  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I not remember any dragon or dungeon articles about Zakhara.

About Kara-Tur, as I mentioned before, there is Dragon 404. That magazine was all about oriental fluff, and has few lore stuff about the Hordelands and other Kara-Turan nations, with few info about of them in the post-Spellplague era.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2017 :  17:51:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I recall hearing (but I don't recall the source, other than it was 'someone in the know') was that Zakhara was completely ignored in 4e because there was some talk about licensing it, thus it had to be 'disconnected' from the Realms, business-wise.

But thats it - not sure if a deal fell through, or that no deal was ever even in the works; just that it was ignored on purpose. Didn't we see some Yakfolk in 4e or 5e?

Since they went with Rokugan/5Rings (strangely) in 3e's OA, there was no reason to ignore K-T. I suppose WotC thought so little of FR's 'Orient' that it wasn't even worth considering a licensee deal (since they, themselves, licensed something else in lieu of it).

And we all know what happened to Maztica... but not really.

Others:
The Hordelands was always a sub-setting - a borderland between 2(3?) of the others. It tends to get (very vague) coverage in standard FR products now.

Malatra: The Living Jungle still exists (AFIK), but since that RPGA setting is defunct, we've heard nothing about it.

Odds & Ends:
Realmspace I suppose still exists, pretty-much how it always was, but they haven't really addresses Spelljamming, and the focus seems to be on planer travel, rather then Spacefaring. It would be interesting to know how the Spellplague affected Realmspace, but I doubt we'll ever know. EDIT: There was some spelljamming in Rich Baker's Blades of the Moonsea series, so it definitely still existed in 4e.

Ravens Bluff: The Living City may have been an RPGA setting, but its always been an integral part of Faerūn, and therefor never actually needed to be considered "a separate setting" (unlike Malatra). Its also been 'dumped' as the RPGA setting (does the RPGA even exist anymore? They only have the 'Adventurer's league' now, no?)

Abeir: Never actually considered a setting. Its basically Ao's 'self-storage' unit. It would be nice to actually create one out of the tidbits, but whatever.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Feb 2017 17:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  01:03:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much to explore, so much currently wasted by the foolish executives at WotC.

What is the current state of Zakahara, Kara Tur, Osse, Maztica, Archrome, ect... Is unknown.

We can't even get full details on Faerun, or even a full map of Faerun, never mind the other continents. There is a lack of ambition at WotC to finish the job they started with the SCAG.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  03:32:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, btw, was there ever any kind of regional update for either Zakhara or Kara-Tur during the 4e era?

In terms of gamelore? Not really. But I do recall the odd scattered reference to Kara-Turan nuggets and lore in some of the novels set in the 4e-Realms. I remember Bruce Cordell referring to some far-eastern Realms bits in his books, especially.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2017 :  04:35:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Lich Tan Chin (who was trying to become emperor again, last I heard, by 'possessing' one of his descendants), decided he wanted to see his mummy?

Go to Top of Page

apotheot
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  02:35:37  Show Profile Send apotheot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay
Malatra: The Living Jungle still exists (AFIK), but since that RPGA setting is defunct, we've heard nothing about it.

AM doing my best to change that. :)
-Apotheot
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  03:23:19  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Since they went with Rokugan/5Rings (strangely) in 3e's OA, there was no reason to ignore K-T. I suppose WotC thought so little of FR's 'Orient' that it wasn't even worth considering a licensee deal (since they, themselves, licensed something else in lieu of it).

Not so strange, actually. Wizards didn't license Rokugan in lieu of Kara-Tur; they had bought the Five Rings Publishing Group outright in 1997. So at the time 3e Oriental Adventures was written, AEG was licensing the setting from WotC, rather than Wizards licensing it from anybody. 3e OA was part of an overall plan to develop the value of the WotC-owned L5R/Rokugan property.

Then, after Hasbro bought WotC, Hasbro decided to sell off L5R/Rokugan entirely rather than let WotC continue to develop it, over the objections of the WotC execs. That's when AEG went from licensee to owner.

Edited by - see on 23 May 2017 03:24:11
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  19:14:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thats a stupid and convoluted mess if I ever saw one.

Had WotC known what Hasbro intended, we probably would have gotten K-T love in 3e.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 May 2017 19:14:38
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2017 :  20:02:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more concerned with seeing some K-T love in 5e.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  12:29:47  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emperors are motivated by securing and strengthening their bloodline, increasing prosperity and guaranteeing the safety of their people. Depending on the personality a visit abroad might be based on some or all of the above reasons. Tu Lung is probably a very sophisticated court, with lots of subversive faux-pas behaviour and many clans trying to influence the emperor in an attempt at access to some of the affluent the taxes that gets collected from its prosperous people.

Wai Yong might be a cautious type fleeing a increasingly corrupt bureaucratic system, trying to secretly find political allies abroad to increase his influence over his ministers in his gridlocked court. He might be a bashful type, seeking an exotic concubine to bring home to his harem or trying to spy and learn about his future conquests. Or he might be a sagacious type, seeking to learn new ideas by apprenticing under a mentor or sage, seeking to bring home an economic or mystical edge.

Mulhorand is known for its pride in the Mulan heritage, wealth of the ruling classes and highly capable clergy managing impressively engineered landmarks. I can see Mulan elites being very conservative when it comes to protecting their engineering secrets and magical traditions, so cultural exchange with other empires will be strained even if the relationship between the empire heads is cordial. Staying in disguise would have alowed to Tu Lung emperor to circumvent some of the cultural dismay the Mulan noble houses would have had had he asked their direct aid.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  14:51:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I like some of what you just put there in addition to my own suppositions above. Some ideas that are popping up in my head are

A) He's interested in negotiating a marriage to the House of Isis, Hathor, or Nepthys with a son of his (or himself).

B) He's interested in negotiating a marriage of a daughter of his to the House of Horus-Re, Anhur, Osiris, or Thoth.

C) He knows that the Mulhorandi have spread themselves thin in taking and occupying Unther. He also knows that Semphar and Murghom have grown increasingly intolerant of Mulhorandi rule. He intends to offer "aid" in securing Semphar and Murghom, and in return the child born of his bloodline and the bloodline of a Mulhorandi divine household will come to rule Semphar. Murghom will be done with for rulership as Mulhorand decrees

Or along these same lines, the emperor of T'u Lung plans to invade Ra-Khati (a land rich in mineral resources) and would like the aid of Semphar, so he's in Mulhorand to ostensibly get with the people who in theory rule Semphar.

D) The emperor of T'u Lung would like to establish a portal network between these two empires to allow for increased trade without having to cross the hordelands. This could

E) The emperor of T'u Lung would like to buy slaves and/or hire soldiers from the Mulhorandi with the express purpose of overthrowing some powerful enemies

F) The emperor of T'u Lung is seeking outside help is infiltrating and rooting out corruption in his empire (or obtaining incorruptible allies), and he knows the Mulan people share a similar look to his own and could capably pass within his court. Perhaps he is even willing to allow the importation of some priesthood in order to obtain this aid.

G) The emperor is looking to hire Mulhorandi experts in the use of the pressure engine technology they have been studying prior to its forbiddance at the hands of the previous Pharaoh. Maybe the new Pharaoh has agreed to open this field of study up again. Or maybe this emperor is negotiating with the priests/divine household of Thoth separately and not going through traditional paths of talking with the Pharaoh. Maybe he even seeks to build something akin to a train network in T'u Lung for expanding his own lands and harvesting wood and other materials from the jungles on his borders.

H) If you lean nefarious... possibly some involvement with Set, and that's why its in secret, because he's secretly meeting with cultists of Set IN Mulhorand. Maybe he needs spies. Maybe he needs assassins. Maybe some OTHER snake god is being a problem in T'u Lung and he figures get a snake to fight a snake.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 26 May 2017 16:38:05
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  16:03:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I'm more concerned with seeing some K-T love in 5e.
So am I...

But ONLY if they put me in charge of the project.

Which will never happen. LOL

But in case they are considering it (which they SHOULD BE, considering how popular anime/Weeabo culture is right now), it needs an overhaul, and since we haven't really gotten anything major since 1e (the 2e AP Ronin Challenge functioned as a VERY light '2e update'), and we've had the ToT, a bunch of other minor RSE's (including the Tuigan War, and at the very least the 'Rage of Dragons' should have affected them... A LOT), and the Spellplague AND the 2nd Sundering... which means there are now 'unlimited possibilities' (and potential) for GOOD changes to be made.

And most of all, we need connections between the sub-settings, but keep all of that in sidebars. Make it so that 'at face value' someone can run a very fun, anime-esque kind of campaign there, and if they want to, they can include the stuff in the sidebars (the stuff relating to trade/political intrigues/etc., with other sub-settings) as they like (in other words, have it serve 'double duty' by giving people choices). When I was planning a fan-project for the region on the old WotC boards, my goal was to have a sidebar on nearly every page, with about 1/5 of them connecting stuff to other FR lore, and the rest being 'more detail' that would actually be jumping-off points for DMs to run with (all those great little nuggets of lore Ed was famous for, that are STILL providing us with tons of supposition and theories 30 years later). A few would also be 'humor' (I had one entitled, "General Tso's Chicken" that I was particularly fond of) - we have to also make sure that these 5e sources are 'just fun to read', as they were back in the days of 1e/2e.

AFAIK, there is no 'all-purpose' anime-style setting. There are a few that emulate particular ones, but not the entire genre. K-T is vast enough - with enough nations (and seas if you want to do the Luffy/One Piece thing) - to have nearly every flavor there (dark, humorous, 'high fantasy', traditional folklore, etc., etc....).

I could go on and on (and on...) about my ideas for K-T all day long, but this isn't really the right thread for it. I wish I had access to those old WotC threads - there were tons of great ideas in that stuff.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2017 16:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  16:31:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like most of these ideas, but I'd tweak them. In my old K-T stuff I had it where Tan Chin managed to 'possess' the body of one of the young heirs, and seized control of Shou-lung (during the 3e-4e 'lost century') as 'The Hero Reborn' (he'd play it off as if he was a reincarnation of himself). He would now be ruling Shou Lung as an 'enlightened despot' (sort of like a D&D version Doctor Doom - he truly believes he is the only one who is smart enough to rule, and 'save people from themselves'). It gives him a The Mandarin/Emperor Ming/Lo Pan kind of vibe all rolled into one. Since he's even more ancient than Larloch, I'd put him in his class, power-wise (in other words, he's NOT 'for fighting' - he's a background baddie who PCs can even work with if they are clever).

I don't recognize the name of that emperor (above) off-hand - is that one of the twins that were the heirs of Shou-Lung? It could possibly be spun that the other brother fled to Mulhorand for 'political asylum' when his brother became possessed by Tan Chin (I'd have to look over everything again to see if that even works).

And since the Anoque (my name for the tall, psuedo-Asian race that interloped onto Toril) were masters of artificery, and the Imaskari were magnificent portal-builders (specializing in translocation magic), the 'new school' of magic that formed around the combined traditions would be called the 'Academy of Golemic and Alchemic sciences' (a branch dedicated to the creation and perfection of a 'slave race' of automatons that would be fused with the spirits of summoned creatures). This gives us the connection between the Shou penchant for building armies of golems, and also Imaskar's own dabblings into 'war meka' (automatons and 'juggernaughts' - things later used by the Raumathari) and binding insanely powerful beings (like Pandorym). It also gives us a few neat connections with the Utter East as well (the Bloodforged Golems).*

quote:

Hmmm, I like some of what you just put there in addition to my own suppositions above. Some ideas that are popping up in my head are <snip>

D) The emperor of T'u Lung would like to establish a portal network between these two empires to allow for increased trade without having to cross the hordelands.
Who says there aren't ancient portals already set up, that just need to be activated on both sides? Technically, both Shou-Lung (and by extension, Tu-Lung) and Mulhorand are Imaskari 'survivor states', and Imaskar was KNOWN for its extensive use of Portals/Gates. There is already a well-known series of these gates in the Great Dale - The Stone Markers. I truly doubt the Imaskari only set-up one series of these, especially in such an out-of-the-way location (from their main base of operation). More likely, these were just overlooked when the survivor states made it a point to destroy or hide others.

*EDIT:
And, of course, this is also my little way of slipping in a new 'Academy of Alchemy' (I'd rename that last part) in Tan Chin's Shou Lung. 'State Alchemists', anyone?

I actually can't find an Asian word for 'alchemy' - weird, it appears they actually used the same word. How can that be? I found the school can be divided into inner and outer alchemy - Neidan & Waidan. Could 'Dan' be their word for Alchemy? Maybe just go with something new and fantasy-ish sounding, like 'Chemistria'. The 'Academy of Chemistria & Pharmacologia Obscura'. LOL

Maybe just call it 'Sorcery' -that term comes from 'the East'. Is it in use in 5e? It would suck if it was. It should have actually been part of the Zakhara/Al Qadim setting (Sorcerers are supposed to be more 'elemental' in flavor, so they fit well with the idea of alchemy, but NOT with what 3e did with them).

Edited by - Markustay on 26 May 2017 16:48:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  01:04:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah sorcery is in use. Sorcerers get sorcery points to do metamagic.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2017 :  02:33:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then 'Alchemists' it is, then; I'll just use 'Imperial Alchemists'. A blend of Elementalist and Transmuter. I could have just went with the old 'Shugenja' term, but I have other plans for them ('Benders')

Guess I'll have to go with 'Magi' for whats supposed to be Sorcerers in Zakhara.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 May 2017 02:55:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2017 :  22:40:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a thought: do we know for certain that this was Wai Yong's first trip to Mulhorand?

Perhaps as a prince, he'd been to Mulhorand before.

I don't know much lore on the Kara-Tur region, but it is possible he'd travelled to Mulhorand before just to get away from home, at a younger age. Maybe he was for some reason not expected to assume the throne (or at least, not soon) and basically fled the palace to live his own life, or maybe he was the type of royal heir who likes to get out and travel far and wide while it's still possible (and maybe or maybe not sow some wild oats).

Or his visit -- either my theoretical earlier visit or this referenced one -- could have had something to do with a Man in the Iron Mask scenario: a political prisoner, whose identity was kept secret, imprisoned somewhere far beyond T'u Lung's borders to keep him or her very much out of the picture.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  04:53:09  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The KT setting books only went up to 1357 DR and the 8th Emperor, Wai Gada Sinzu (47 years old). Ge had two unnamed older daughters (who couldn't take the throne except as regents) and two twin sons, Anju and Soreti. But they were only born in 1352 DR, making them 5 at the time.

Wai Yong's parentage is unknown. He's described as "young", but his exact age is uncertain. Looking at the possibilities...

If a son of one of the twins, assuming they fathered him no younger than, say, 16, Wai Yong would have been born after 1368 DR, and be a child younger than 7 in 1375 DR. He's not there on business. :) With a child emperor, an unexplained and secret journey, and an assumed identity, from a treacherous empire like T'u Lung, it's likely he's being kept safe from assassins in a faraway friendly/neutral foreign country. If he's emperor, then Anju and Soreti are dead, and likely one of Sinzu's daughters is ruling as regent. She may or may not want her nephew back to end her regency. ;) This is very T'u Lung.

Second, Yong might be a fifth son of Sinzu, born after 1357 DR. That would make him about 17 or less.

Alternatively, Yong could be a son of one of the daughters. If Anju and Soreti were killed before fathering a child, but after becoming 9th emperor, the throne could have passed to Yong. The daughters could be any age, so there's wide range of possibilities for Yong's age.

Finally, all of Sinzu's progeny might have been lost and Yong is the son of his brother.

The first seems the simplest, most likely, supplies a plot hook, and is in keeping with corrupt T'u Lung politics.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  10:55:28  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Emperor Wai Young was still in Mulhorand when the Spellplague hit, who knows what happened to him.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  14:36:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

The KT setting books only went up to 1357 DR and the 8th Emperor, Wai Gada Sinzu (47 years old). Ge had two unnamed older daughters (who couldn't take the throne except as regents) and two twin sons, Anju and Soreti. But they were only born in 1352 DR, making them 5 at the time.

Wai Yong's parentage is unknown. He's described as "young", but his exact age is uncertain. Looking at the possibilities...

If a son of one of the twins, assuming they fathered him no younger than, say, 16, Wai Yong would have been born after 1368 DR, and be a child younger than 7 in 1375 DR. He's not there on business. :) With a child emperor, an unexplained and secret journey, and an assumed identity, from a treacherous empire like T'u Lung, it's likely he's being kept safe from assassins in a faraway friendly/neutral foreign country. If he's emperor, then Anju and Soreti are dead, and likely one of Sinzu's daughters is ruling as regent. She may or may not want her nephew back to end her regency. ;) This is very T'u Lung.

Second, Yong might be a fifth son of Sinzu, born after 1357 DR. That would make him about 17 or less.

Alternatively, Yong could be a son of one of the daughters. If Anju and Soreti were killed before fathering a child, but after becoming 9th emperor, the throne could have passed to Yong. The daughters could be any age, so there's wide range of possibilities for Yong's age.

Finally, all of Sinzu's progeny might have been lost and Yong is the son of his brother.

The first seems the simplest, most likely, supplies a plot hook, and is in keeping with corrupt T'u Lung politics.

Were T'u Lung emperors limited to just one wife? Wai Yong could have been the son of a consort, later legitimized when his dad made the consort a second (or whatever) wife. And then, of course, something happened to the other potential heirs...

I do like the idea of a child emperor having to flee, but then I have to wonder: why Mulhorand?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  15:05:48  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Were T'u Lung emperors limited to just one wife? Wai Yong could have been the son of a consort, later legitimized when his dad made the consort a second (or whatever) wife. And then, of course, something happened to the other potential heirs...

I do like the idea of a child emperor having to flee, but then I have to wonder: why Mulhorand?

Possibly because even the Shou would respect Mulhorand as a civilized and well ordered land, so it would not be considered "barbaric" compared to most other Faerunian civilizations, yet it would be far enough away from threats to the Emperor.

And the protection of powerful Godkings has to appeal to Monarch on the run from enemies.

Also if moving through the hoardlands, Semphar, Mulghom, Mulhorand would be the first Empire beyond the reach of Shou Lung and enemies in Tu'Lung.

Also perhaps the handlers of the young Emperor also wished to gain powerful allies for the Emperor, Mulhorand would be hard to beat for that, at least before the Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  15:10:09  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also I believe Mulhorand and Kara Tur have a shared history in both areas having been ruled by the original Imaskar empire.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  15:38:55  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By 1357 DR, Wai Gada Sinzu had five concubines and at least one wife, who gave birth to all four confirmed children.

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2017 :  15:47:21  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also think a secreted away seven years old child emperor sounds like a very intriguing option.

He might know of MT's suggested 'Tan Chin lich vessel'-idea, who might be the reason he needs the secret asylum. But how long would he have to remain in Skuld afore he'd be in position to claim the T'u Lung throne? He might be sent to Mulhorand to eventually combat the arcane might of Tan Chin with southern magics.

He'd need to be close enough to keep abreast with T'u Lung politics, making Mulhorand a decent choice because of its decent access to the Silk road.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000