Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New short story by Ed
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2016 :  23:24:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ed's first Mirt tale has been uploaded. Get it here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/199519/ALL-THINGS-THROUGH-THE-BRIGHT-FLAMES--The-First-Tale-of-Mirt-In-the-Time-After-The-Sundering?src=newest_in_dmg

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  02:15:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting for that. I know what I'm reading tonight! :)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  03:17:39  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woohoo! Cheers for letting us know!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  05:46:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished - I really enjoyed it! Well worth the dollar spent.

Edit: I just noticed the disclaimer:
"This is a work of fan fiction and should not be considered canon and is not meant to infringe on the intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast."

I thought Ed had a deal where everything he wrote was considered canon as long as it didn't conflict?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 01 Dec 2016 05:56:15
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  06:30:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says 'Epub' - I don't know what that is. Do I have to have a tablet to read it? I never read digital stuff, but since its a short story I figured I'd give it a go. Can I just open that file on my computer?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  06:41:30  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll probably need some sort of ereader. I downloaded calibre (which is free) to read them on computer, and to read them on my iphone/ipad I email the epub to myself and open it from in iBooks from the mail app.

Edited by - KanzenAU on 01 Dec 2016 06:42:38
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  13:44:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

"This is a work of fan fiction and should not be considered canon and is not meant to infringe on the intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast."

I thought Ed had a deal where everything he wrote was considered canon as long as it didn't conflict?

Yes, he has that deal, that's why he specifically clarifies when something that he says is not supposed to be canon. However, it's a big let down that what Ed's going to publish through the DMG won't be considered canon, because that means that WotC probably won't even bother with it, and will likely overwrite it at some point.

On the plus side, it means that Ed's DMGuild products don't count towards the yearly book that he should be allowed to work on, so we will get to see some bigger stuff from him.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Dec 2016 16:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  14:00:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It says 'Epub' - I don't know what that is. Do I have to have a tablet to read it? I never read digital stuff, but since its a short story I figured I'd give it a go. Can I just open that file on my computer?

As KenzenAU said, Calibre lets you read e-reader file formats on your PC.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  17:03:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I use Adobe Digital Editions myself.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  17:06:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Just finished - I really enjoyed it! Well worth the dollar spent.

I liked it too. Mirt has to be one of Tymora's favorites. Some nice lore in there for details of Ormpur too. Good stuff. :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  17:57:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, he has that deal, that's why he specifically clarifies when something that he says is not supposed to be canon. However, it's a big let down that what Ed's going to publish through the DMG won't be considered canon, because that means that WotC probably won't even bother with it, and will likely overwrite it at some point.

On the plus side, it means that Ed's DMGuild products don't count towards the yearly book that he should be allowed to work on, so we will get to see some bigger stuff from him.

Even if it was canon, WoTC have a tendency to ignore or ride roughshod over it whenever it suits them lately. Its not the sacred cow it once was so why should it matter to us if WoTC consider them canon or not

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  18:00:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't care about canon when I game, but I do care about what WotC does to the published FR. If they refuse to consider Ed's contribution to the already depressing condition of the FR product line as canonical, then that's really bad news to me.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  19:53:57  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I don't care about canon when I game, but I do care about what WotC does to the published FR. If they refuse to consider Ed's contribution to the already depressing condition of the FR product line as canonical, then that's really bad news to me.

That sums up my feelings. Its like did they really think this story would somehow break the realms?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  20:44:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeez, guys, did no one consider that we don't know that anything has changed? That's a similar disclaimer to the ones I've seen on a lot of fan work, regardless of the media and the genre.

Ed's new project isn't just for him -- it's a group effort. This is unlikely to be anything other than a generic CYA, so that folks other than Ed can create material there without stepping on any toes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2016 :  21:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor
That sums up my feelings. Its like did they really think this story would somehow break the realms?

Personally, I hope it breaks the no-narrative rules of the DMsGuild.

That said, it could be submitted as Fan Fiction and canonized later - as they've said they were interested in making some offerings on the DMsGuild official for a while now. It is, in a way, a back up. If they don't give Ed a publication on the Realms, they can turn this offering into canon and that might be enough. It might also set the stage for allowing them to pick and choose which of Ed's works will be continued as canon as opposed to accepting all of them. Just my personal thoughts on it.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  00:18:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the link not working anymore for anyone else? Seems like it was taken down.

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  00:58:11  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't.
Guess they're really serious about the whole no fan fiction allowed thing....

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 02 Dec 2016 01:01:49
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  01:09:35  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The link doesn't work for me either, neither does the one in an email I received from the Greenwood Group. I hope this is a temporary problem and the story will be back.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  01:30:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I hope that it is temporary too.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Dec 2016 01:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  07:50:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book was listed on DMs Guild yesterday. I sae it at work and was going to buy it when i got home. It is no longer listed on DMs Guild now so it has been taken down but don't know who by.

Did anyone manage to get a copy while it was on there?

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  09:32:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. I'll PM you a Google drive link as soon as I get home

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  09:33:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed has said that it was taken down, and he's waiting for an answer on why.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  14:56:33  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed has said that it was taken down, and he's waiting for an answer on why.

Given the number of offerings on the site and how long it was up, I'm going to take a guess and say it was WotC that did it. If stories are not an option, I'd assume it can be added to a Volo's Guide much like the fiction in some of the Pathfinder products to satisfy requirements. All of this is just a guess of course.

Edited by - Eilserus on 02 Dec 2016 14:56:57
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  16:17:32  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, they said early on that nothing published on DMG was going to be considered canon. That lets people publish their ideas without having to worry about the "canon police" raising a fuss. That applies to Ed's work too, strange as it may seem. It's only official if published officially by WotC.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  16:23:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's answers in this forum, or anywhere, are still official until overwritten. There's a reason when he specifies that something that he says is not official (as he sometimes does, and as he did for this story) and that's probably because he knows that WotC won't agree with that.

If Ed's story had been published w/o disclaimer, it would have technically been canon, until WotC found out and said it was not.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Dec 2016 16:24:14
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  20:22:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome news: the story is temporarily down, because WotC want to upload it as official lore.

"Mirt story on DM's Guild temporarily down; Wizards wants it wearing the full glory of its game Realmslore! Stitching glitter, back up soon!"

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/804775397716033536

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Dec 2016 20:23:05
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2016 :  21:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very happy to see that I was wrong.

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  00:31:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Awesome news: the story is temporarily down, because WotC want to upload it as official lore.

"Mirt story on DM's Guild temporarily down; Wizards wants it wearing the full glory of its game Realmslore! Stitching glitter, back up soon!"

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/804775397716033536

Yep, Ed has let me know that he "left the gamelore off the table" as he put it and WotC want it back in. A few tweaks and it should return soon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  00:47:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did he mean by gamelore? Mechanics, or lore writeups?

Go to Top of Page

shoracthegold
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  01:53:06  Show Profile Send shoracthegold a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope this is an indication that wotc might not be done with novels after all. It would be awesome if they let ed publish realms novels with his own publishing venture. I know that is a pipe dream but one can hope..
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  09:26:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What did he mean by gamelore? Mechanics, or lore writeups?

We'll find out next week!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000