Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Beacon of Hope - HELP!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  01:03:00  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Folks,

I come to you for inspiration!

My group wants to build a "beacon of hope" on an earthmote in Neverwinter. They want the citizens, and everyone for miles in any direction to see the tower and all its brilliance and shiny goodness and think, "Damn I want to live there".

We are thinking something like the High Cleric's Tower from the Dragonlance series in overall design but I am open to other layouts.

All I could come up with, detail wise was white granite, some sort of crystal fire thingy on the top, maybe some continual light type object all over the outside at night?

Any references you can share or ideas yourself? Maybe a map/pic of something you guys have done in your campaigns?

Any ideas will help...thank you!

Edited by - kalos72 on 04 Nov 2016 01:04:01

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  04:09:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a 'Moon Tower' or some-such in The North. I believe it belongs to the Heralds (or Harpers, or both). I recall that it also 'shined like a beacon of hope', or something along those lines.

I had an idea for a weird 'lighthouse' kind of structure - a swirling vortex (like a tornado, but cylindrical) of mirror fragments (or even bits of silver), around a series of powerful light sources (maybe seven?) that went from top to bottom. Thus, from far away, it would appear as a shimmering tube of light.

Putting something like that on an Earthmote would be pretty cool.

To be honest, I misread the thread title as Bacon of Hope, and I thought, "Now there a magic item I can sink my teeth into!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Nov 2016 08:39:37
Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  04:56:38  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Seven Serpents" is a reoccurring theme here so here is something else I thought of.

Why not have it be a standard cylindrical tower "base", silvered marble or white marble maybe with 7 dragons carved up its length, facing out. The tails starting at the base to form the buttresses, bodies bout midway and at 3/4 of the up have the wings / necks pull off the main tower ending with each head and front claws pulling away and point out away from the tower in an attack like pose, while the last pit of the tower ends in a sorta "Isengard" style with an open platform for casting maybe? The wings would overlap at the tips, again pulling away from the main tower section.

Maybe have fire coming out of the dragons mouths? Or at least smoke from "forges"?

Myabe have some crazy crystal formation at the top like the "eye" but in a cool/good way? :)

Glassteel on every other level maybe for more sparkle or maybe elven crystal?

I need an artist to draw this up for me...

Edited by - kalos72 on 04 Nov 2016 04:59:01
Go to Top of Page

kalos72
Acolyte

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  20:50:40  Show Profile Send kalos72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on all, you guys MUST have some cool examples or ideas to make this tower become a beacon of hope for the region?

Colors? Materials? Magic? Design? Anything is open here...I NEED the help. :)
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  14:39:39  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have two ideas on this... The first idea is of a Prism Tower that creates a perpetual Rainbow over the city of Neverwinter, even at night. (Needless to say I just listened to Dio's song "Rainbow in the Dark"). My second idea is of type Mirror Tower that magically generates an image of whatever the viewer hopes for most in their lives... You could even combine the two if you wanted to use the ol' "Pot of Gold at the end of the Rainbow" trope.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss

Edited by - Cyrinishad on 08 Nov 2016 14:40:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000