Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vhaeraun's Gift
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  10:14:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Specifically, the nature of the power that allows the traitor/priestess to shield their thoughts from another goddess and her priestesses. Is this protective ability discussed somewhere? What is the strength and shape of it?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Aug 2016 10:21:23

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  10:38:39  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a Vhaeraunan spell called "Deceive Prying". In 2e, it is a 6th level Divination spells which lasts 1hr/level and it shields the recipient's mind from magical or psionic examination. When the target is subject to such scrying, the spell will show false alignment, faith and thoughts, chosen when the spell is cast. Masked Traitors can cast this spell once even if they haven't prayed for it, or don't meet the requirements. However, they need to pray for it regularly after they expend that use.

When Vhaeraun approaches potential Masked Traitors, he shows as a floating black mask and telepathically communicate with them. If his attempt is discovered by Lolth worshipers, he will destroy them by spells and will then contact his chosen candidates at another occasion.

He also sends them useful info via dreams, so that might help to avoid being examinated by priestesses of Lolth altogether.

All of this is in Demihuman Deities. And I guess in ''The Drow of the Underdark'' too.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2016 10:44:18
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  10:46:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've checked the book, and the thoughts provided by the spells don't have to be chosen when the spell is cast (it would be kinda awkward if so). It provides thought based on the situation, and on the chosen faith and alignment.

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2016 10:47:04
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  11:19:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You rock Irennan. Didn't see anything in 2eDotU, but I will look at DD. I think there may have been traitor priestesses in Eric Boyd's Prestige in the Realms too. Sweet. Off to do some digging.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  12:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have pondered about this for long time - how do false priest survive? Vhaerun might have this explanation but I personaly do not like idea that my god is always lurking behind my back looking for me and talking to me (btw that should be familiar not a god :-). I had questions like can other priests tell is you cast spells from different god (is naming of him part of spellcasting?); can a god hear false during his prayer and tell other priests (that I find less problematic as it is direct heresy - something every god wants to address).

Finaly I have settled with that gods take any worship even from false as it still gives them power and they do not see into heads of their fallowers or priests. There are divine spells that can mask different alignment/thoughts and false priest is still a priest so he can cast spells so it could be hard to notice and you can use masked holy symbol during spellcasting.
For the prayer time there is only rough estimation as to when you could pray to your god (like at night/evening/morning/...) so you can pray to falsely worshipped god and your own even if they share the praying time or you can skipp the real prayer if needed with hope that your god understood your need for secrecy.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  13:12:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The smart thing about Masked Traitors, is that they receive spells from both Lolth and Vhaeraun. They can cast while using Lolth's symbol, name, etc...

Actually, if Lolth finds about a Masked Traitor, she send her followers after them, but if they survive, they keep benefiting from her spells.

As for how they mask themselves, the answers is provided in the books that introduced this concept, and that I've described above. It's a spell designed by Vhaeraun just for this purpose, since it masks your faith with one of your choice, and it provides random but relevant and believable thought to those who pry your mind. So, it doesn't merely block, it deceives.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  14:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do remember only one spell that detected anything about faith and that was Jergalite spell that finds departed soul's patron (for archiving purposes). Also as realms are polytheistic you can easily worship both Lloth and Vhaerun. It is only about who do you choose as your patron diety and that could be quite hard to discern even with magic.

If you look at their dogma's they are actualy quite close to each other with major differece about surface lands and method of archieving your goals but I haven't heard about Lloth giving her power to followers of Vhaerun. Why would she do it?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  15:25:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't need such a spell to detect someone's faith. A simple mindreading spell will do the trick. That Vhaeraunan spell can protect Masked Traitors even from the prying of other deities, while also providing a believable lie, rather than just blocking eventual examinations (like, say, Mind Blank does). It's actually a neat tool.

Torilians are polytheists, true. However, we're talking about priests here, and they rearely are polytheist. They can worship a whole pantheon, but worshiping the Dark Seldarine as a whole is unheard of, given their relationship with each other. In fact, polytheism is different for the drow, since Lolth expressely forbids even as little as speaking the name of other deities, especially her children, who are her sworn enemies.

From what I see, Vhaeraun's dogma is far different from Lolth's. For example, he doesn't claim that love is weakness, or that the drow must be plagued by infighting in order to become "strong". He too values individual strength, but he values cooperation more than that. His teachings are actually closer to the ideals of Eilistraee (in fact, the two siblings are no longer enemies post-Sundering). Vhaeraun wants the drow to be united, to claim their place in the Night Above, and to form a society that is gender-equal and actually based on someone's merits. He even claims that drow and elves should be united for the dominance of the People as a whole (he even promotes mixed marriages because of that). Which is eerily similar to Eilistraee does, with some meaningful differences ofc (both fight to unite the drow, but while Eilistraee helps them to build their place in the world in harmony with all other races, Vhaeraun wants drow and elves to gain back their dominance over Faerun--but he isn't against cooperation with some races, like humans. At least until his plan isn't fulfilled). Granted, Vhaeraun's m.o. is still ruthless and evil, so that's closer to Lolth.

About the ''unmaksed'' Masked Traitors (heh), I remembered wrongly. They do benefit from Lolthite spells, unless she finds out. When she does, she no longer provides her spells (although they retain all the spells that they had prepared before being unmasked).

Edited by - Irennan on 22 Aug 2016 21:28:48
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  17:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right, Vhaerun and Elistrae are closer together but he is still in between (Elistrae>Vhaerun>Lloth). One exception to Lloth's ban is Selvetarm who is accepted as her right hand and can be worshiped but I presume not in exlusion of Lloth's worship :-) There are known Selvetarm's Judicators (form of blackguard) openly living in Lloth's cities.

On other hand Lloth's demand of singleminded worship make sense as she has been trying to get back her position as greater goddess. It probabl take a lot of power to get there so she sucked all she could. In later times there could be a less need for such measures unless she needs it for holding this position also...
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  21:28:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Selvetarm is an exception, but that's because he was turned into a lackey (although he hates her for sure. What a nice family they all are, aren't they?)

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  21:43:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Selvetarm back along with E and V? Kiaransalee? One big happy family again?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 22 Aug 2016 21:44:10
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  21:45:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, everyone is back. One big happy family indeed (although Kiaransalee is not really family).

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  22:51:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez. All that angst over WotSQ just to have it all retconned away.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2016 :  23:16:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Was Ched Nasad rebuilt? (I genuinely don't know)

And I'd be happy if Halisstra was retconned out of existence.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  00:29:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was not properly a retcon, more like a deus ex machina that brought back the whole drow pantheon (and poor Qilué is still dead). The only true retcon was the transformation into Dark Elves. That was deleted for good, and I can honestly see why they chose ignore it. Its implications were simply ugly, and it had nothing to do with Eilistraee.

And I'm with Wooly on Halisstra. She was just a huge plot hole that had no reason to be given any attention (except for being respected and accepted as a person) by Eilistraee and her followers.

Ched Nasad has been partially rebuilt and is controlled by the Jaezred Chaulssin now.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Aug 2016 02:10:58
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:00:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh. Ba'queshel had potential although I think I would have liked to know more of the Deathsingers.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:10:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Meh. Ba'queshel had potential although I think I would have liked to know more of the Deathsingers.

It's not her skills as a bard, which were the only remotely interesting thing about her IMO.

It's her being a new convert with a shaky faith and a dull mind being randomly tasked with an immensely important task (which by all logic shuld have been assigned to someone like Qilué, or carried out by Eilistraee herself), for no reason at all except that the plot demanded that she had to be in the spotlight.

And then she started to swing like a pendulum and to act cowardly, making immensely stupid choices. Even her love for Ryld was false: if she truly loved him, she'd have taken her chance to kill Lolth in order to free Ryld from her. Instead, she willingly accepted eternal torment for no reason at all by going back to Lolth, fully knowing what Lolth does to those who betray her.

It's like willignly and knowingly throwing yourself in a pit full of acid, while also giving up any chance to save people that you claim to love and that are hanging just above the acid, soon to fall in it. That character really had no brain, IMO.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Aug 2016 02:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:25:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a somewhat related note, how the devil did House Melarn end up on the ruling council in Menzo?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:31:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On a somewhat related note, how the devil did House Melarn end up on the ruling council in Menzo?

It's a namesake. It started with one of the two first daughters of House Horlbar (who had 2 matrons), Jhelnae, secretly being a priestess of Eilistraee and helping drow in Menzo.

At some point Jhelnae's heresy was made public, and house Horlbar became subject of great suspicion and shame, as all houses with an apostate first daughter would be. Shortly after that episode, House Tuin Tarl tried to wipe the Horlbar, but the latter ultimately emerged victorious with the help of house Kenafin (a close ally), and managed to extinguish the Tuin Tarl instead. The two houses then joined forces and took the name of Melarn, in honor of Halisstra, who had betrayed Eilistraee becoming Lolth's servant and had been tasked with the duty of eradicating heresy wherever it emerged.

Both houses were in fact determined to show a zealous (even for drow standards) adherence to the way of Lolth, and hunt apostates in Menzoberranzan. They became vehement inquisitors, convinced that many heretics hide within Menzoberranzan and other drow cities, and are on a crusade to eradicate them all. They never stopped or relented, not even when Eilistraee and Vhaeraun were absent. With their return, I'm sure that they must be going crazy...

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Aug 2016 02:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:50:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet, despite that, driders are awarded positions of authority within the House? oO

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  02:55:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I knew that the house had driders, but not they had positions of authority. Anyway, I think that 4e changed driders from being the result of a punishment, to being that of a reward, so there's also that.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  03:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have already speculated on driders elsewhere so just a summary: drider can only happen if subject of the Test of Lloth fails to kill a assasin but survives the attack. This by itself is in my eyes huge archievement and they are then transformed into form closely resembling Lloth herself and shuned by the rest of population from their former status. It seems to me like just another step of this test (if they can still believe). If they would be readily accepted by drow in first place it could still be correct but it would loose all the fun...
Also the new form is more powerful so it is a blessing of sort by itself.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  03:41:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like something Lolth would do.

However, in the original version, driders also became mentally tied to Lolth, and their personality was effectively nullified, AFAIK. That was why it was considered a punishment.

Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  15:05:38  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

You don't need such a spell to detect someone's faith. A simple mindreading spell will do the trick. That Vhaeraunan spell can protect Masked Traitors even from the prying of other deities, while also providing a believable lie, rather than just blocking eventual examinations (like, say, Mind Blank does). It's actually a neat tool.

Torilians are polytheists, true. However, we're talking about priests here, and they rearely are polytheist. They can worship a whole pantheon, but worshiping the Dark Seldarine as a whole is unheard of, given their relationship with each other. In fact, polytheism is different for the drow, since Lolth expressely forbids even as little as speaking the name of other deities, especially her children, who are her sworn enemies.

From what I see, Vhaeraun's dogma is far different from Lolth's. For example, he doesn't claim that love is weakness, or that the drow must be plagued by infighting in order to become "strong". He too values individual strength, but he values cooperation more than that. His teachings are actually closer to the ideals of Eilistraee (in fact, the two siblings are no longer enemies post-Sundering). Vhaeraun wants the drow to be united, to claim their place in the Night Above, and to form a society that is gender-equal and actually based on someone's merits. He even claims that drow and elves should be united for the dominance of the People as a whole (he even promotes mixed marriages because of that). Which is eerily similar to Eilistraee does, with some meaningful differences ofc (both fight to unite the drow, but while Eilistraee helps them to build their place in the world in harmony with all other races, Vhaeraun wants drow and elves to gain back their dominance over Faerun--but he isn't against cooperation with some races, like humans. At least until his plan isn't fulfilled). Granted, Vhaeraun's m.o. is still ruthless and evil, so that's closer to Lolth.

About the ''unmaksed'' Masked Traitors (heh), I remembered wrongly. They do benefit from Lolthite spells, unless she finds out. When she does, she no longer provides her spells (although they retain all the spells that they had prepared before being unmasked).

You write in a way that looks like a song, makes me like the twin drow gods even more. Seriously!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2016 :  15:17:57  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven Avenger
You write in a way that looks like a song, makes me like the twin drow gods even more. Seriously!

You don't know how happy I am to hear that. I really love Eilistraee and Vhaeraun (especially Eilistraee, who means a lot to me, but I feel strongly about her brother as well), yet they are too often downplayed or undervalued as cheap, lesser deities, who have little importance in the greater picture. So, if I can get people to like them (or like them even more), I'm happy

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Aug 2016 15:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  03:25:27  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I knew that the house had driders, but not they had positions of authority. Anyway, I think that 4e changed driders from being the result of a punishment, to being that of a reward, so there's also that.

That's one of the things 4e got right. The idea of driders being the ultimate punishment was always stupid. One of the few consistent standards among Lolth worshippers was the sacred nature of spiders. They are the only creatures that drow don't torture, kill, or use as bait in their schemes.

Another consistent standard in drow society is craving power for its own sake, and being willing to do anything for it. Thus, being morphed into a giant half spider that's significantly more powerful can't possibly be a punishment. Even being creatures of chaos, drow have certain logic that makes sense within the context of their cultural and religious belief systems.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  04:15:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

That's one of the things 4e got right. The idea of driders being the ultimate punishment was always stupid. One of the few consistent standards among Lolth worshippers was the sacred nature of spiders. They are the only creatures that drow don't torture, kill, or use as bait in their schemes.

Another consistent standard in drow society is craving power for its own sake, and being willing to do anything for it. Thus, being morphed into a giant half spider that's significantly more powerful can't possibly be a punishment. Even being creatures of chaos, drow have certain logic that makes sense within the context of their cultural and religious belief systems.

Yeah, I honestly found it confusing too. Although the "you give up your mind and become and puppet of Lolth" also had its own logic, and was a pretty nasty punishment, fitting for failing a test of loyalty.

Edited by - Irennan on 24 Aug 2016 04:17:24
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  04:46:11  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I honestly found it confusing too. Although the "you give up your mind and become and puppet of Lolth" also had its own logic, and was a pretty nasty punishment, fitting for failing a test of loyalty.

Interestingly, being eaten and absorbed by Lolth was Danifae's reward for being granted the status of Chosen. I know the drow are crazy, but there were definitely some contradictory elements thrown into their lore over the years.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2016 :  23:29:23  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The idea of driders being the ultimate punishment was always stupid. One of the few consistent standards among Lolth worshippers was the sacred nature of spiders. They are the only creatures that drow don't torture, kill, or use as bait in their schemes.

Why "ultimate"? There can be worse things. The drider transformation is the worst of common.
And as far as Lolth is concerned, this may be not only punishment, but a corrective measure (for the failed individual) and even acknowledgement. With bonus training wheel for the rest.
Remember, in the end it's all about three things: natural selection, faith and collecting souls.
If one drow fails to become sufficiently spider-like on the inside, well... there's a way to bring the point closer to home.
The driderhood is reserved for the drow who deliberately and to a serious extent go against the way of Lolth. This cannot be allowed to continue - but on the other hand, there's a strong individual who presumes to stand alone... thus such a transgressor is removed from the society and gene pool, but not wasted.
quote:
Another consistent standard in drow society is craving power for its own sake, and being willing to do anything for it. Thus, being morphed into a giant half spider that's significantly more powerful can't possibly be a punishment.

Indeed, how strange - why the drow don't habitually turn themselves into something huge, like ogres?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  02:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is actualy common "punishment" for those who fail the Test and live to tell about it. Most of the heretics are simply killed on her altar.
Also I wouldn't say natural selection but more likely breeding program. But faith and soul collection sounds about right.
Drow do not habitually turn themselves into anything (except undead), Lloth do that.

Irennan: your standpoint now makes much more sense once I know that you fight for the children (Vhaerun, Elistrae). What about the poor Kieranselee?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2016 :  02:44:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh. Kiaransalee is literally insane, she is consumed with her purpose of claiming vengeance against any perceived slight, and she cares more about the undead than she does about the living. I don't think that she could lead the drow towards a decent future. Nothing against necromancers in general, but I don't like her approach to necromancy (worship of death/undeath, rather than considering necromancy an useful tool).

Plus she can randomly appear as a pair of skeletal hands and magically drag you underground for kicks. Literally. She won't even let you go (unless someone comes to save you), if you have ever done something that she perceives as a slight towards her. Man, that's just nasty and insane.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Aug 2016 02:48:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000