Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Playing the Time of Troubles in Godbound
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2016 :  14:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I keep meaning to post this here and I keep forgetting so I'm doing it now.

Godbound is a new RPG by popular OSR designer Kevin Crawford. Like all his games, it takes the Basic/Expert D&D rules and puts them towards very different ends: in this case, playing as hero-deities and demigods, invested with divine power and arrayed against truly mythic foes. Crawford is renowned for great design and mechanics work; Godbound works very well as a game, I'm fairly certain.

So why am I talking about this here?

Well, someone else made a hack of Godbound for playing as the aforementioned demigods or those invested with divine power - during the Time of Troubles. Here it is. So this hack puts the players right in the heart of the ToT, as its movers and shakers. Avatars, the Chosen, or something akin to the Midnight-Kelemvor-Adon-Cyric group, whatever it is, Godbound can do it.

It's quite cinematic, epic fantasy - obviously not what many of us usually look for in the Realms, but I think that's what makes it work. The Time of Troubles is practically unplayable and a mess as written - this allows you to really get into it and actually make it into an exciting game! Go big, go all out, smash Faerun to bits for once - a nice change of pace.

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2016 :  23:54:41  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really cool. I wish there was a 5e conversion of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000