Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Netheril: The First Age
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  21:49:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well I have tried my hand on the DM's Guild and released Netheril: The First Age.

I will be updating it periodically so if you fancy a read and then have any suggestions then by all means speak up

Here's the link

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/185371/Netheril-The-First-Age

It is of course free but any money raised will go towards purchasing improvements

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  22:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exciting!

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  22:06:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just bought it. Thanks for your work!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  22:12:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for your patronage

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  09:58:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And as my only paying customer feel free to let me know if it was worth the money, whether you think there is anything missing that prevents you from running campaigns during this period, what else you would like to see, and if you would buy the next item (Netheril: The First Age).

I will probably implement any suggestions immediately as well.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  22:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Loving it so far! I'll write a proper review once I get through it all.

Aesthetically speaking, have you thought about using some different backgrounds, watermarks, borders or other window dressing to make it more physically appealing? It doesn't matter to someone like me who only cares for the lore to be perfectly honest, but there is definitely an uptick in sales when you include a little more of these things (as far as I've noticed).

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  22:12:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good call on borders ill look into that. Im using the free libre office and ive had trouble with backgrounds in that application before but ill see whether i can buy a parchment background from the dms guild and try it out again.

Im intending to use that monster creator for one monster (i just need to download the libraries etc) and make a few more organisations and maybe a short one page adventure or two.

Thanks for the thoughts. Ill work on them this week.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  23:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can create a background for you pretty easily - much better then the parchment ones on the DMG. I've just been busy as I think my project might very well find a home here on Candlekeep among the old compendiums and I'm trying to bring it up to pitch-level of quality.

Give me some time to put something together for you.

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 13 Jun 2016 23:46:13
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  07:18:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

I can create a background for you pretty easily - much better then the parchment ones on the DMG. I've just been busy as I think my project might very well find a home here on Candlekeep among the old compendiums and I'm trying to bring it up to pitch-level of quality.

Not to horn in on Dazzlerdal's action, but would it be okay for me to ping you down the track re assistance with prettying up my bog standard offerings. Won't be bothering you for a while, but just wanted to know.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  08:33:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Not to horn in on Dazzlerdal's action, but would it be okay for me to ping you down the track re assistance with prettying up my bog standard offerings. Won't be bothering you for a while, but just wanted to know.

-- George Krashos

And there was me thinking you had relented and read my netheril work and were going to offer some constructive criticism.

Oh well by all means shoe horn away. Adhriva's artistic skills are excellent. In fact if someone were to produce artwork for humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, goblins, etc in a series of dramatic poses and put it on the dms guild i would buy that to help pretty up my stuff. The stock art contains little in the way of normal races (although i was glad to find the spellweaver manipulating a crystal ball which i thought apt given netherils history)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  13:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To help avoid copyright/ip violation, every image used in my project will likely be released under a CC license on the DMG. As such, there will be more then enough stock art for Elves, followed by Shadovar, if you don't mind the modern look of them or the fact it will still take months of work before you get any of them. Just hold on, it will happen.

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 14 Jun 2016 13:14:44
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  13:15:54  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

And as my only paying customer feel free to let me know if it was worth the money, whether you think there is anything missing that prevents you from running campaigns during this period, what else you would like to see, and if you would buy the next item (Netheril: The First Age).

I will probably implement any suggestions immediately as well.

I will dive into it this evening, or tomorrow at worst. I'll let you know after that. However, I very much like what I saw skimming through it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  13:47:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you kindly, although dont feel a need to rush. I'd much rather you take the time to digest it completely before writing anything even if its something negative. Feel free to be completely honest, if you have something you'd like addressing then just say and i will consider it (unless your request is that i never write anything again to save the human race from my awful sentence structure).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  18:24:13  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we criticised that, we'd either be hypocrites, or be in a similar boat. :p

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  18:27:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i will take everything onboard so by all means point out the bits you dont like (and maybe the bits you did like if you are feeling generous), and make any suggestions for improvements or maybe just bits you'd like to know more about and i will do them.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2016 :  21:25:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few things im considering developing.

The Alliance Council as an organisation with a few npcs and the building detailed.

The Spears of Seventon as an organisatiom with an example soldier, a fee npcs and the headquarters detailed.

Some goblinoid bands from the hidden valr detailed.

A bandit group or two detailed.

The shadowrath monster statted (might change its name to bonewrath to obscure its origin).

Any preferences or other suggestions?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  20:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would realy like to see more on Thaeravel as there is very little information about them.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  20:31:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thaeravel will be detailed in the nether age when seventon officially encounters that nation.

Im not planning on putting in loads of detail about it, just some info about how its run how the people are spread out and how the country runs.

There will be more detail on its destruction and the legacies of thaeravel will reveal more info about the nation in later books.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  20:34:45  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I would realy like to see more on Thaeravel as there is very little information about them.

I tied Thaeravel in with the Stonelands and the Cloudlands... Thaeravel's conflicts with Netheril blasting their castles from the sky leaving wizard weather and ruins... and a few lingering clouds..
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  21:25:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well ive gone in a slightly different direction for thaeravel, linking a legend in elminsters ecologies to the history of the region.
I also found quite a lot of info about thr cloudlands spread over many products and from eds scroll that led me towards a link with netheril rather than thaeravel.

That being said its always good to have variety. I wonder if i can put a link between the two

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  21:32:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloudlands were from Elminsters Ecologies :)

The link I have to the region with Netheril is what brought the two into conflict. and caused all the stones.

Which legend did you go with?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2016 :  21:41:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well the mention of a great blue dragon being devoured by a behir is the loose link i used.

The cloudlands have been tied in several sources as being post The Fall. They came into conflict with the survivor states and were pushed east into cormanthyr.
Ed later spoke of the destruction of the cloudlands in a battle with dragons in the vicinity of thr stonelands.
Ive placed that event as after the fall of anauria and part of the formation of Shadow Gap.
Of course thats just my interpretation.

I chose to have thaeravel be ruled by draconic human scions of the blue dragon that overthrew their sire. They then uncovered much magic in the ruins of isstossefifil, and used the body warping magics to recreate the thunderlizards (dinosaurs) that died out everywhere else. Their experiments are released over time after thr destruction of thaeravel.

But again thats just the direction i took. There is nothing in canon to say one way or the other.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  21:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have thought about having Thaeravel be first try of teraseer with giving humans high magic. There went something wrong and that is why he did it again with Seventon.
Could you be more specific about those legends as I do not possess Elminster Ecologies (sadly).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2016 :  22:23:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will dig out my quotes for thaeravel tomorrow.

As for the terraseer, i think you are near the mark. Arthindol was just one of many sarrukh liches or oreme. There were many and they each ruled in turn over a thousand years.

Given that they are evil i think they all worked against each other subtly so they could claim glory.

Their goal (for those that believed as arthindol did), was to create something capable of destroying the phaerimm when they returned. Arthindol and a number of others tried to do that by building powerful nations. Netheril was one, thaeravel another, and hlundadim another.

At least thats my reasoning

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  20:23:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I'm not wanting to clog this thread up with bits about thaeravel and the cloudlands but here are a few quotes for you.

quote:
Most legends agree that there was once a powerful magical kingdom above the Stonelands, kept secret from those races who dwelt below it on the ground. This kingdom, which supposedly existed 1500 years ago or more, boasted a society comprised of dragons, giants, sylphs, pegasi, asperii, giant eagles, and even some winged, elflike beings whose name is no longer remembered (and who are now apparently extinct).
These races coexisted in peaceful harmony among the clouds, avoiding the decadent human realms of the time, especially Asram. These beings came down to the surface of the Realms only to gather or trade for food and other necessities, and quickly fled back upward to their cloudy haven. The giants, ever industrious, even brought huge stones up with them. They built magnificent fortresses and cities in the sky, hidden by the clouds.
It wasn.t until the Cloudlands were discovered by the mages of Asram and Anauria that disaster struck. The sky-dwelling races had been right to avoid their earthbound neighbors. The great and powerful wizards of these nations intended to conquer the Cloudlands, for they knew that such a kingdom would be a safe haven from the encroaching desert that was soon to destroy their earthbound realms.
In the war that ensued, the Cloudlands were destroyed. The fortresses and cities so carefully crafted by giant artisans fell to the earth. You see their forlorn remains scattered over the plain now called the Stonelands, a mute relic of war.

That's from Elminster's Ecologies

quote:
Apparently, in the days when even ancient Netheril was young, a number of mages, wizened elders, and priests set out to try to reason with a blue dragon of incredible might that had been plaguing their communities. The dragon rebuffed their attempts at parley, and many men and women were slain by its retributive attack. A god (which god is unknown today; it may even be a deity who no longer exists) decided to .help. the humans, and created creatures known as behir, amalgamated from the dead remains of their fallen comrades and the old scales of the dragon.
It is true these behir, then great in number, slew the blue dragon in a desperate, pitched battle. But of course, as often happens in legends and in life, the monsters then turned on the very humans and other fair creatures they were made to save. These found the behir as great a foe as the dragon had once been.
One evil was replaced by another. The bard who originally told me this tale said that the moral was one cannot trust the help of the gods in overcoming evil, but I am not so sure of the accuracy of his interpretation. That is just the sort of man he was.
In any event, behir are undoubtedly real. Further, they are sworn enemies of dragons, although they do not aggressively hunt them. They simply do not abide drakes within their territory, and likewise never enter the realm of a dragon.

Also from Elminster's Ecologies

Other bits of info about the cloudlands are spread among these forums from Ed and THO which detail how the cloud kingdom came into the stonelands from the east (cormanthyr) fleeing humanoids. They came into conflict with dragons and the ensuing magical release destroyed the cloud castles and the flight of dragons.

I just put all the bits together and decided that the destruction of the cloudlands came way after the conflict with Asram (and they weren't destroyed by that nation just driven east and then south and then west to emerge in the stonelands (although it wasn't called that then) and that's where the magic that destroyed the cloudlands and the dragons created the stonelands geography.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 19 Jun 2016 20:23:28
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  17:35:25  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I will dig out my quotes for thaeravel tomorrow.

As for the terraseer, i think you are near the mark. Arthindol was just one of many sarrukh liches or oreme. There were many and they each ruled in turn over a thousand years.

Given that they are evil i think they all worked against each other subtly so they could claim glory.

Their goal (for those that believed as arthindol did), was to create something capable of destroying the phaerimm when they returned. Arthindol and a number of others tried to do that by building powerful nations. Netheril was one, thaeravel another, and hlundadim another.

At least thats my reasoning

Thank you for this info from EE.

Oreme liches were 60 and they took turn in rulership after 4 years (LEoF p.102) and they are mentioned only as observers except Arthindol. It seems logical that he is not the only one meddling but who knows :-)
Cloudlands feel wrong to me from this description you provided. I thought it was just cloud giant's kingdom.
It is much more interesting that you mention Hlundadim as a kingdom - from what I know it is domain of one netheries wizard ruling goblin tribes in marches after Netheril's fall.

BTW I just found in GHotR that Shoal of Thirst was the roof of kobold city that was ruined by their green dragon overlord (legend about kultumak)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  17:59:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hlundadim overlaps slightly with the survivor states and was believed to be ruled by a powerful netherese archwizard. Believes is a word that provides a lot of wriggle room.

Cheers for the kurtulmal quote, ive been looking for that for ages

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2016 :  04:43:57  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hlundadim overlaps slightly with the survivor states and was believed to be ruled by a powerful netherese archwizard. Believes is a word that provides a lot of wriggle room.

Cheers for the kurtulmal quote, ive been looking for that for ages

I find it strange that nobody from Netheril knew who Hlundadim was and I have a feeling that there is more to it than it seems...

Also talking about survivor states I have found strange that no settlement is mentioned in unoccupied region SW from Netheril where Talfiric people will make their kingdoms later. I have placed Anauria there as it doesn't make much sense to settle within Anauroch basin when you run from Lifedrain effects and there are already some netheries villas and tombs in that region (so I merged Talfiric stock with netheries survivors).
Also there is time discrepancies with supposed settlement of Moonsea area form the South by Jhaamdath migrants with migration of Netheries surivors from West earlier on. Specificaly Northkeep is mentioned to be first human settlement this North...

Happy that my mention helped. I know the feeling when you have seen some piece of lore somewhere but just couldn't find it ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2016 :  08:51:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nobody from netheril knew who arthindol was (supposedly, i suspect ioulaum probably knew, that man is an ultra genius, and a bonafide polymath).

Hopefully i will provide answers to many of the questions surrounding netheril (and maybe some people might even like the answers), and then if i get it right i will leave behind twice as many questions for others to answer.

As for anauria and the south west of netheril. Anauria has a lot of history linked to the geography in the south east. I've charted the spread of the desert and come up with explanations for it, suffice to say the survivor states were quite safe in the south east for many centuries thanks to the beholder hive beneath their feet.

Elminsters Ecologies mentions a seven throned kingdom in the southwest and the tunlar barbarian lore provides a few more hints. Gorothir and his girdle give insight into its downfall and i think the harper inn destroyed by gargoth was a remnant of the realm. Im still working out the history of it but at the moment its a realm made up of city states (although they are really really small cities) the angarth and horse nomads from northern jhaamdath.

The moonsea settlement is explained slightly in faiths and avatars or powers and pantheons in a single line. Ill expand on it more when i get to the diaspora age, but in short the netherese and jhaam spread in all directions and mingle in multiple places at oncr giving rise to the chondathan subrace before that nation even existed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2016 :  08:56:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want i can provide all the quotes im using to justify the theories but a new thread is probably the best place.

If anyone is interested ive detailed the head of the vandaldt tribe and started work on providing a writeup for the alliance council. I also changed the name of people from thaeravel to better link it to modern peoples (its not an explicit link but is there for the observant). Just need to polish upbthe council then ill upload version 1.2 probably on saturday.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2016 :  17:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure where but I have read that almost everybody knew he was sarrukh (at least it sounded that way) but I agree that they shouldn't. I had Iolaum toppled on another lore - he is old enough that he could have had contact with Imaskari before their fall. That is the reason he was interested in area his lair is now - he found about their hidden city and tried to find it. In my version this is why he tried to become overmind - he suspected that his intelect is not enough to crack this.

Nice touch with beholder city explanation. I just like to have some meaningful amount of netheries leave in SW direction as it is one of the easy ways that weren't officialy used somehow.

I do not see a need to justify your version, I like it as it is :-)

I look forward on your take on Arthindol's involvement and later the creation of first mythallar.

You do very nice job and I just hope to inspire you with my ideas and questions.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000