Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Abeir-Toril: Round or Flat?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Abeir-Toril: Round or Flat? I was rereading Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp when it hit me; The object Cale carries is round. Think of the possibilities, though. This may mean that a PC can sail from Kara-Tur to Evermeet, just by sailing west. A Zakharan might be able to sail to Waterdeep without going around Faerūn. What is your opinion?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:33:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Abeir-Toril: Round or Flat? I was rereading Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp when it hit me; The object Cale carries is round. Think of the possibilities, though. This may mean that a PC can sail from Kara-Tur to Evermeet, just by sailing west. A Zakharan might be able to sail to Waterdeep without going around Faerūn. What is your opinion?

It's round. :) The interactive atlus shows it as round and I believe also the Realmspace sourcebook backs that image up......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  06:56:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone sailing from Kara-Tur to Evermeet might find some of the other continents to be in the way, like Maztica... Page 231 of the FRCS shows those other, undecribed continents.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:02:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

My opinion on this is that it has reminded me of one of my favorite parts of Terry Pratchett's Colour of Magic -
quote:
"See...

Great A'Tuin the turtle comes, swimming slowly through the interstellar gulf, hydrogen frost on his ponderous limbs, his huge and ancient shell pocked with meteor craters. Through sea-sized eyes that are crusted with rheum and asteroid dust He stares fixedly at the Destination.

In a brain bigger than a city, with geological slowness, He thinks only of the Weight.

Most of the weight is of course accounted for by Berilia, Tubul, Great T'Phon and Jerakeen, the four giant elephants upon whose broad and star-tanned shoulders the disc of the World rests, garlanded by the long waterfall at its vast circumference and domed by the baby-blue vault of Heaven.

Astropsychology has been, as yet, unable to establish what they think about..."

Anyway, back to the discussion...

Yes, both the interactive Atlas, and the Realmspace tome make it pretty clear that Toril is a sphere (if not perfectly round - in fact no planet is actually a perfect sphere anyway, thanks to it's rotation, and to a lesser extent the force of gravity...but that is a discussion for a different forum).

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly people. Everyone knows Abeir-Toril is flat. Sail past the unknownlands and you'll fall off the edge. Then sail into a place: ' Without form and void' and there will be naught but 'darkness upon the face of the deep'

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown

Edited by - The Cardinal on 21 Mar 2004 16:24:33
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  18:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First evidence: there are lunar eclipses with a round shadow. That can only consistantly occur with a spherical shape acting as the occulting body.

Second evidence: existance of a horizon. If the planet were not spherical, then objects would never disappear, only appear to get smaller and smaller.

Third evidence: not actually listed in any FR text, novel or sourcebook, but it's something that can be done. Measure the angle of a bright star at a particular time. Move a hundred miles in any direction. Measure the same angle the next night. You'll find that the angle changes. (You can actually measure the surface area of the planet in this way. The Greeks had a surprisingly good approximation for ours.)

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  22:30:44  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
codswallop - it all down to magic.....

cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

First evidence: there are lunar eclipses with a round shadow. That can only consistantly occur with a spherical shape acting as the occulting body.

Second evidence: existance of a horizon. If the planet were not spherical, then objects would never disappear, only appear to get smaller and smaller.

Third evidence: not actually listed in any FR text, novel or sourcebook, but it's something that can be done. Measure the angle of a bright star at a particular time. Move a hundred miles in any direction. Measure the same angle the next night. You'll find that the angle changes. (You can actually measure the surface area of the planet in this way. The Greeks had a surprisingly good approximation for ours.)

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  17:36:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Occam's Razor, gentlemen. Occam's Razor.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:38:47  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Occam's Razor, gentlemen. Occam's Razor.

Which product is that magic item detailed in?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dungeon of Complicated Problems With Simple Answers, I believe.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  03:53:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Dungeon of Complicated Problems With Simple Answers, I believe.

They are probably saving that product for 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2004 :  23:37:58  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the atlas of the Forgotten Realms(book number 8442)on page X it shows Abeir-Toril as a globe.

"Where in the Nine Hells did you ever get the notion that I would fight fair?"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2004 :  23:52:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richtin

in the atlas of the Forgotten Realms(book number 8442)on page X it shows Abeir-Toril as a globe.

Yeah, but is that a 3rd edition or 3.5 edition product? So, how do we know the world being a globe is canon anymore?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  04:36:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Yeah, but is that a 3rd edition or 3.5 edition product? So, how do we know the world being a globe is canon anymore?

Um actually I think it's a 1e product or a very early 2e product. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Apr 2004 04:37:38
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  06:38:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Um actually I think it's a 1e product or a very early 2e product. :)

Exactly, how can you trust any information from a product without any prestige classes?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  07:25:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Exactly, how can you trust any information from a product without any prestige classes?

HAH. :) It's kind of sad actually. If I was a new DM to 3e's realms I would never have touched the setting. There is just some thing missing from 3e's FR books and if I didn't have the old material or was a new DM, I would not run a game in FR....

Fluff is what made the Realms, the Realms...... To bad 3e really has removed that from the setting. :(

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  09:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Kuje31. They have done the Realms a serious disservice by de-emphasizing the fluff that made it so unique and wonderful in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  13:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do I.
*holds up copies of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark and Underdark*
*gestures at Underdark*
Interesting game mechanics, and one of the best WEs.
*holds Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark higher*
More information, better style, better atmosphere, more focus...
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  17:44:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
*holds Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark higher*
More information, better style, better atmosphere, more focus...

Agreed. I like your post, it reminds me of product comparison features on the news.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  23:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly what I was trying for, Sirius.
Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2004 :  23:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Fogotten Realms Atlas is 2nd edition!!!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  05:56:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not even third? Or first? But 2nd edition!!!

Not sure I can take the product with any degree of seriousness if that's the case.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  06:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not even third? Or first? But 2nd edition!!!

Not sure I can take the product with any degree of seriousness if that's the case.

Very true, Sirius. I've heard rumors it doesn't even contain a race returned from a long isolation! How could they even think of publishing a supplement without one of those?!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  06:18:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Very true, Sirius. I've heard rumors it doesn't even contain a race returned from a long isolation! How could they even think of publishing a supplement without one of those?!

LOL!! Nice to find someone else who can view annoying things with a sense of humor.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  08:19:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
LOL!! Nice to find someone else who can view annoying things with a sense of humor.

Come now, if it didn't include a new elven race either, then it's worthless!!

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  08:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fzoul has a globe of Faerun in Curse of the Azue bonds (The Module not the novel)

Which means Faerunians knew the world was round even before they discovered the "new world" ie Maztica

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  17:24:00  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We still say Toril is Square and flat.... maybe a bit of a curve to it (so things disappear over the horizon) and everyone knows that Toril is at the Center of the mutliverse and everything revolves around it, so the curved shape that causes an eclipse is umm the curvaceous form of Shar.... and who would measure the angle of a star? So HA! the world is Square flat and has a slight curve.

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  19:06:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flat and curved? Ah, so now you're getting into higher spatial dimensions, are you? You'd need at least four spatial dimensions for that to happen in the perspective of a three-dimensional viewpoint.

Seriously, I'm not sure how you could think of the planet as flat.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  19:17:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Flat and curved? Ah, so now you're getting into higher spatial dimensions, are you? You'd need at least four spatial dimensions for that to happen in the perspective of a three-dimensional viewpoint.

Seriously, I'm not sure how you could think of the planet as flat.

Especially considering that many natives have been into space, and seen the planet from space. I'm sure they'd notice if it was flat instead of round.

Go to Top of Page

Richtin
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2004 :  23:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Richtin's Homepage Send Richtin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how can you possibly think it is curved and flat????
it is a sphere because it has polar ice caps, or at least one!
i mean look at the atlas people!!!

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  01:46:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simply really. Like an omelette or pancake with a fork in the middle as support. The unsupported ends saga bit giving a curve to the surface. We have yet to see a quest that goes to the edge of the maps and returns on the opposite side.

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000