Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I think "Rage of Demons" would have been better if
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  07:56:39  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It had been set in Narfell.

I could imagine some decendants of Narfell who discovered some old artifacts and wanted to resurrect their old empire. They decide to start it off by summoning some demons but something goes wrong and you have the likes of Demogorgon stepping through.

Im my opinion, that says way more interesting and leaves things open for further expansion on Narfell.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  08:33:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- It wasnt an RSE
- It wasnt set in 148x
- It didnt have Drizzt in it
- It wasnt an RSE

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  10:26:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I for one am glad they didn't set it in Narfell.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  10:37:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do i detect that you dont want people messing up your backyard

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  11:38:11  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I for one am glad they didn't set it in Narfell.

-- George Krashos

Do you mean as in Wizards not using it for their awful AP's or would you rather not see much activity taking place in Narfell?

I love the ideas of Narfell and Raumathar. I just wish there was more lore out there.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  11:54:46  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it difficult to give advice on how to improve something without having ever seen the final product. It is interesting how so many scribes are assuming that Out of the abyss will be terrible without ever reading the book.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  12:04:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well George never described it as such, that was my assumption, he is far to nice and noble to denigrate anothers work. It was probably just that the synopsis did not fit his vision for Narfell that prompted his gladness that it wasnt set in Narfell, but again those are my words and not his.

As for me i'm just old and bitter and view everything negatively by default. Plus this is definitely an RSE (as were the last two adventures) and we were told no more RSE's (or at least that is what i thought we were told).

I still feel it would be better as an adventure if it were not an RSE and did not contain a super npc to steal the lime light, and everything would be better if it were set in 1370. So the criticism was meant in a constructive fashion.

I think RSE burnout builds up far too quickly among designers and fans, having to keep designing ever greater threats is difficult and eventually boils down to add x+1 number of badguys (where x is equal to the number of bad guys in the last adventure) and make them of a different type or a mixture of previous types. Plus with these types of adventures it means you cannot reuse the characters from the last scenario without rewriting the early stages (either as a designer you appeal to new players and allow it to be played from level 1, or you require players to have worked through at least one previous scenario and so start at level x - having both is difficult to impossible and requires a lot of redundant writing as you rescale the first half of the adventure).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 11 May 2015 12:10:36
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  13:15:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Do i detect that you dont want people messing up your backyard

They can do what they like. But I'm still glad the adventure isn't set in Narfell.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  13:17:48  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The thing that I believe people are forgetting is the fact that these AP's are canon not to mention the novel. Drizzt is going to be the one who stops what's going to happen and I know that is a major problem for a lot of people.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  13:31:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I find it difficult to give advice on how to improve something without having ever seen the final product. It is interesting how so many scribes are assuming that Out of the abyss will be terrible without ever reading the book.

Personally, I'm not assuming that it will be bad, but my complaint is the repetitiveness of the kind of storyline.
Step1) Some mad/power thirsty/dimwitted dudes try to summon some uber evil on Faerun, for whatever reason (usually ''evil'' or ''hurr, I want power'')
Step2) Bad stuff happens
Step3) The uber evil is defeated
Step1)...

It's even more perplexing because not one demon prince, but a lot of them have decided to go through Gromph's portal and start rampaging through the Underdark.

Also, the fact that all these threats for some mysterious reason happen to be in the Sword Coast or nearby -or beneath the region-, and happen in intervals of like 2-3 years doesn't really help.

quote:
Drizzt is going to be the one who stops what's going to happen and I know that is a major problem for a lot of people.

Meh, I don't see a problem with that (unless he and his friends directly faced the demon princes and banished them, in which case it would be a bit ridiculous IMO, and the people who like call him a Mary Sue would be totally right in doing so).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 11 May 2015 13:42:51
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  15:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what Irennan says.
Why not a layered story of intrigue and backstabbing among the nobles of, say, Suzail - with the outcome not shattering anything but the bodies of the PCs foes? Just for a change.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  16:35:36  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Drizzt and co find some unconventional way of dealing with the problem, like leading raids on supplies for the demons' followers, sowing enough dissent in the lower ranks to start a chain reaction, I wouldn't mind that. Would these demons be unleashed by Baenre trying to hold onto its position in the Underdark?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  16:44:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

If Drizzt and co find some unconventional way of dealing with the problem, like leading raids on supplies for the demons' followers, sowing enough dissent in the lower ranks to start a chain reaction, I wouldn't mind that. Would these demons be unleashed by Baenre trying to hold onto its position in the Underdark?

My impression is that the demons princes will be already rampaging when the adventure starts, so undermining the cultist (which in this case= Gromph) won't do much. I can live with Drizzt and friends defeating them, as long as it isn't a direct fight (and as long as the demon princes behave accordingly to their INT score, which seems to be extraordinarily rare, when it comes to gods/uber beings of any kind in FR).

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  16:56:16  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read a Drizzt book since The Companions (thanks Malazan). Are there any hints in the Companions Codex series that Gromph was working toward unleashing the demon princes?

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  17:02:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure blurb explictly says that http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/outoftheabyss

I think that it will be the plot of RAS' new book.

Go to Top of Page

sylvain
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  17:05:40  Show Profile Send sylvain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
" I think "Rage of Demons" would have been better if "

How the heck can we even start such a claim when the product hasn't been released yet?

And why is Narfell any better or worse then the Underdark? Personally I think it all depends on how the adventure is written and not the physical location.

As for Drizzt, he's just an NPC that can easily be ignored/exchanged for another. Also I quote from Chris Perkins - "Drizzt's role in the ROD story varies depending on the platform. In the TRPG adventure, the PCs are the stars."

So the 'mary-sue' theory is out the door.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  17:52:00  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sylvain

How the heck can we even start such a claim when the product hasn't been released yet?

And why is Narfell any better or worse then the Underdark? Personally I think it all depends on how the adventure is written and not the physical location.

As for Drizzt, he's just an NPC that can easily be ignored/exchanged for another. Also I quote from Chris Perkins - "Drizzt's role in the ROD story varies depending on the platform. In the TRPG adventure, the PCs are the stars."

Maybe because Narfell was an entire nation dedicated to summoning and binding demons? Nar-demonbinders were supposedly legendary.

Also, it's an area that hasn't been done before.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  18:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sylvain

It would perhaps have been better to call the thread "The concept of 'Rage of Demons' as currently presented could have been improved by", but that makes for such an awkwardly long thread title :p

The adventure might be solid for all I know (though I don't think there are many actually good FR modules - note that I am only properly aware of pre-3rd Ed), and there's probably stuff to milk for lore-juice (can you even milk juice)) but the point of the thread remains the same, I suppose - I do have to say, though, that if the Underdark isn't your thing (and I'm one of them, as are all nine players who are good friends - the one time we tried it - The Night Below campaign - it crashed once they realized the rest of the boxed set would be Underdark and more Underdark), you can still use such a book but of course the price tag may not justify it if you only buy it for three sentences of new lore, possibly for a new species of glowing mushroom and another hybrid monster.
Go to Top of Page

sylvain
Acolyte

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  19:38:11  Show Profile Send sylvain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The main issue with Narfell is that it lies in a completely undeveloped area of the Realms, and from a cross-media point of view, its just not feasible to bring in Sword Coast Legends, Neverwinter and Ed + Salvatores novels.

Until D&D video games start to broaden their horizons of the realms from the Sword Coast, Until we have a proper 5E Campaign Setting, we will never see any "Adventure Paths" that far removed from the 'nostalgic and better-known areas of the realms'.

As a fan of long lost civilizations, I completely agree that it would be an awesome idea, heck I may even try to adapt the adventure myself to that part of the realms... but from a business stand point, I personally think WOTC made the right call.

Edited by - sylvain on 11 May 2015 19:39:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:13:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There never will be any development in the area, as long as WotC chooses to ignore it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  03:34:33  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is not a Realms Shaking Event!!! The synopsis seems to largely confine the demonic rampage to the Underdark. Given the connection with Salavatore's recent novels, and the direction they have been heading, I think the event's purpose is to give a plausible explanation for the overthrow of the drow matriarchy. The fact that this is taking place beneath the Sword Coast makes it that much more likely that the threat is averted before any significant damage is done to the surface lands.

I don't see how anyone can read the synopsis and consider this adventure to be similar to the Time of Troubles, the Spellplague, or the Sundering. This event won't even alter Faerun as much as the Rage of Dragons or the return of Shade Enclave. It's a local adventure where local heros will fight alongside ONE epic level NPC. And considering that Drizzt is a melee fighter, he won't be soloing any demon lords. The PCs will have plenty of room to shine.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  03:47:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In which way would this explain the matriarchy being overthrown (which I honestly doubt Wizards will let happen)? I mean, from the blurb this thing doesn't exactly sound as a successful ritual, or as stuff that went as planned.

Also, a bunch of demon princes rampaging freely sounds quite RSE-y. But then, they will be defeated and things will mostly be as before, so I guess that you are right.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 May 2015 03:49:32
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  05:07:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
would have been better if it had entreri as the lead character

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  16:08:56  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That bit about the overthrow of the drow matriarchy makes it sound like this is kind of a nuclear option for one of the parties involved.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  16:25:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the intended result wasn't this. The blurb of the adventure states that Gromph opened some kind of portal, but that what came forth surprised even him (so basically it seems that he lost control of it). Sounds like a failed plan to me (and like WotC spoilered quite a big point of RAS' next book).

Edited by - Irennan on 12 May 2015 16:29:12
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  16:44:28  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

In which way would this explain the matriarchy being overthrown (which I honestly doubt Wizards will let happen)? I mean, from the blurb this thing doesn't exactly sound as a successful ritual, or as stuff that went as planned.

Also, a bunch of demon princes rampaging freely sounds quite RSE-y. But then, they will be defeated and things will mostly be as before, so I guess that you are right.

The last 2 RAS books all but say that Gromph is plotting the overthrow of the matriarchy. The drow plan to wreak havoc in the Silver Marches was an epic fail, and Gromph used Drizzt to end the Darkening as a direct slap in the face of Lolth herself. Breunor is leading the dwarves to retake Gauntlgrym.

Dealing with the dwarves, the aftermath of the failed surface attempt, and the repercussions of Quenthel's grab at absolute power will provide the cover for Gromph to work this grand spell. In turn, the rampaging demons will provide the cover for him to overthrow the matriarchy. (The reasoning provided in the last novel is that Lolth went too far with trying to control magic and allow the females to usurp the traditional male stronghold of arcane magic.)
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  16:46:16  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

would have been better if it had entreri as the lead character

Entreri's my dude. He's the most compelling RAS character in my view, but Drizzt will be better for sales.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  16:59:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The last 2 RAS books all but say that Gromph is plotting the overthrow of the matriarchy. The drow plan to wreak havoc in the Silver Marches was an epic fail, and Gromph used Drizzt to end the Darkening as a direct slap in the face of Lolth herself. Breunor is leading the dwarves to retake Gauntlgrym.

Dealing with the dwarves, the aftermath of the failed surface attempt, and the repercussions of Quenthel's grab at absolute power will provide the cover for Gromph to work this grand spell. In turn, the rampaging demons will provide the cover for him to overthrow the matriarchy. (The reasoning provided in the last novel is that Lolth went too far with trying to control magic and allow the females to usurp the traditional male stronghold of arcane magic.)

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation. But that fact that Gromph is not ok with what's coming through probably means that his plan too didn't go well, and that he has bigger problems than the matriarchy now.

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  17:41:32  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully, the demon princes do achieve a lasting influence in the underdark. They are interesting villains and FR is in short supply of those.

I doubt that Lolth will lose all her influence over the drow, but it would be interesting to have a few cities fall under the influence of a demon prince. It just adds more tools in the Dm's toolbox.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 12 May 2015 17:42:15
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  19:30:14  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Hopefully, the demon princes do achieve a lasting influence in the underdark. They are interesting villains and FR is in short supply of those.

I doubt that Lolth will lose all her influence over the drow, but it would be interesting to have a few cities fall under the influence of a demon prince. It just adds more tools in the Dm's toolbox.

Agree 100%. It has long felt like archdevils get more screen time than demon lords. I really hope to see RAS use 1 demon lord in his novels, and given his recent focus on the Grandmaster Kane and his protege Afafrenfere, I'm betting he will use Orcus a little bit.

But I would also enjoy seeing how a novelist might approach Demogorgon. He seems like he would be tricky to write. Theoretically, Lolth's hands should be somewhat tied, because with the new Tablets of Fate, gods aren't supposed to exert too much influence on Faerun. So she can't just send an avatar to battle them.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  19:32:05  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irennan, I totally agree. If Gromph is smart, he will hightail it to a pocket dimension until things die down.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000